Type keyword(s) to search

Galavant Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Are Zombie/Ghost/Undead armies kind of a fantasy trope though? GOT has the White Walkers,

So THAT'S what Vincenzo was referring to when he told Gwynne that they would keep one daughter of theirs, but the rest would be left out "for the White Walkers"!

• Love 1

I don't watch that fantasy stuff - GOT, LOTR, etc. So I hope someone explains those references.

The Battle of Three Armies is a reference to the Battle of Five Armies that takes place in the Hobbit (same mythology as Lotr, basically it's prequel) between the men, elves, dwarves, and eagles vs. the goblins/wargs (just think big evil wolf-like creatures the goblins ride).

"One King to Rule them All." The first thing that pops up if you google the title is the "One Ring." It's a ring who's power the bad guys are after, so the heroes go on a quest to destroy it by throwing it into the fires of the mountain/volcano from which it was forged.

There's writing on the ring that reads,

"One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, one ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

I think the title is a reference to that, but the idea of King Richard being the kind of prophesied king to unite the kingdoms falls in line more with the character Aragorn from Lotr, who was became king an united 2 kingdoms.

The zombie army might be a shout out to the Army of the Dead--also from Lotr. In pretty much the final battle (okay, second to last according to the movies), Aragorn basically recruits a bunch of ghosts who have to repay one of his ancestors (or basically pay his lineage back) a debt to help fight against the bad guys. They broke an oath to his ancestor that they would aid him in battle, so they were cursed to remain on earth as ghosts. Helping Aragorn means they would fulfill their oath and could "move on." Basically, the ghosts mow down A TON of the bad guys. I've always considered it cheating, because it's not like the bad guys could fight back against ghosts. They're GHOSTS for goodness sakes.

Sid showing up near the end of battle with an army is reminiscent to Gandalf (the wizard of the group). Before one of the other battles, he leaves Aragorn and co. to get more people to help fight. My Gandalf quote I used in a previous post refers to that, he leaves but tells Aragorn to look east after a certain number of days. True to his word, Gandalf reappears exactly when and where he said he would with back up.

Sid might basically be doing the same thing, but if he's fled from the kingdom, he might not be leaving anyone a fancy, "on the fifth day..." Warning. He might just show up after hearing about things elsewhere. We'll have to wait and see.

I think that's about it. I don't watch GoT.

Heck, Izzy going all raspy-voice and basically hissing at Chef due to the tiara was a reference to Gollum from the Hobbit/lotr. Basically, he was in possession of the One Ring for so long, he became obsessed with it and it's power basically warped him (physically and mentally) considerably.

I hope that helps a little!

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3

I'm going to wait until tomorrow to watch, but for those of you snowed in, you shouldn't have to wait! :-))

Via TVLine: Galavant Sneak Peek: Sing Along to Gareth's Less-Than-Flowery Love Song

That's really cute, especially the way Gareth describes the sun, flowers, birds, smiling, and waving to people.  And while no one would mistake him for Andrea Bocelli, Vinnie Jones really isn't that bad of a singer.  :)

• Love 1

Guess we know who wins the Battle of the Three Armies since the Queen of Valencia is wearing her crown in this picture from episode 10.  http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/galavant/gallery2/gallery10/hires/5.jpg

I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but it bears mentioning again now that we've seen how last week & tonight's episodes have played out...  A few weeks ago someone from production (Glenn Slater, IIRC) tweeted a pic from an orchestra session in LA where Galavant & Isabella were pictured on screen in what some sharp-sighted folks pointed out looked like a wedding/chapel scene. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYVeJo0UkAAy-Sp.jpg  Denials flew up from every other cast & crew member active on Twitter, and it was heavily implied that the scene was some sort of dream/fantasy sequence.  With a couple weeks still left and the "Death" scene known thanks to the episode descriptions, the general consensus in the Galavant Twitter-verse was this was probably part of that.  Tonight's come and gone and the #Galabella moment in the "Death" song was nothing like the picture tweeted out from the orchestra session.  In fact, you can see that the orchestra session pic is clearly the same scene as the first pic I linked...  So, I'm officially calling it...  We've got ourselves a #Galabella wedding for the season finale!

• Love 1
"One King to Rule them All." The first thing that pops up if you google the title is the "One Ring." It's a ring who's power the bad guys are after, so the heroes go on a quest to destroy it by throwing it into the fires of the mountain/volcano from which it was forged.

Also King Arthur from pulling the sword from the stone.

The GoT references were actual references.  Giving your children to The White Walkers is on the show (although they gave sons not daughters), the Red Keep is the where the Iron Throne is and the capitol of the seven kingdoms. They've also showed a sign pointing towards Winterfell and mentioned the battle at Castle Black both places are from GoT. 

• Love 1

Yeah, my nephew immediately referenced the sword in the stone, as did my niece & her friend, when they watched that scene on Saturday (they were visiting so we marathoned Galavant to catch them up).

I took a closer look at the high-res pics last night and I'm now very curious about what happens with Madalena.  She's the only one of the main cast who isn't in the pics that I'm fairly certain are from the #Galabella wedding.  Is it Sunday yet?!

Maybe she loses the war, and Gareth jumps sides reuniting with his bro King Richard. Thus, she flees to the Forest of Coincidence, and vows vengeance. While in there, she happens upon something (what a coincidence!) that will set up her return in season 3. But that would mean season 2 would end with no Garalena, so I don't really want that to happen.

:(

I don't know. Maybe she's in the dungeon?

Maybe she loses the war, and Gareth jumps sides reuniting with his bro King Richard. Thus, she flees to the Forest of Coincidence, and vows vengeance. While in there, she happens upon something (what a coincidence!) that will set up her return in season 3. But that would mean season 2 would end with no Garalena, so I don't really want that to happen.

:(

I don't know. Maybe she's in the dungeon?

Gareth figures out she's using the D'DEW and jumps sides before the battle - that's in the episode description and very evident in the high-res set pics. 

The writers have said that S2 doesn't leave us with all of the cliffhangers like we got in S1 but there are some open threads still...  I'm guessing that Madalena's fate is left unresolved, or at least open-ended; and that the only couple firmly together, in wedded bliss, is Galabella.  Well, and Chef/Gwynne.

(edited)

Well, I think I enjoyed that  And I hope it really is a clip and not a promo, because I need to watch it with closed captioning.  Twenty-nine hours to go?

It actually was a sneak peek.  The clip was originally featured on E!'s website, but for some reason, the link to it that was originally tweeted doesn't work for me.  The link I posted comes from Timothy Omundson's website.

Edited by legaleagle53

Well, I think I enjoyed that  And I hope it really is a clip and not a promo, because I need to watch it with closed captioning.  Twenty-nine hours to go?

Having listened to the S2 soundtrack for the better part of the last 18 hours...  The clip is titled "Galavant Recap" and it comes right after "A Dark Season" which ended last week's episodes.  My supposition is that the clip/song is how we open tomorrow night's finale and we'll get the usual Galavant title cap & commercial break right afterwards. 

Episode 9 is PACKED with songs - there is 11:45 min of new songs in a 21:30 min episode.  Structurally, I'm interested to see how they cram everything they have to do into the other 9:45 - like Gareth ditching Madalena, Galavant & Isabella making up (which definitely happens pretty early on), and Sid arriving with reinforcements.  I realize we're in the spoiler/speculation thread but the songs, and their order, really give away a LOT.  I know I'll be a sobbing mess by the end of 209 and will need that commercial break just to pull myself back together for the last half hour, lol.

I expect that 210 will have some reprises of some of the songs we hear in 209, otherwise it's going to be pretty slim on the singing and heavy on the battle/fighting.  I can't see Galavant giving us a 15-min battle ala GOT's "Hardhome" last year. 

It's also very evident that we're getting a decent ending to the show if ABC doesn't renew it.  I hope the show is renewed because I really want to see what could happen with the potential story lines that they set up, but I think we'll all be mostly satisfied with this season's resolution if the show doesn't come back next winter.

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Love 1

It's also very evident that we're getting a decent ending to the show if ABC doesn't renew it.  I hope the show is renewed because I really want to see what could happen with the potential story lines that they set up, but I think we'll all be mostly satisfied with this season's resolution if the show doesn't come back next winter.

Yes, Dan Fogelman made it pretty clear at the start that he had learned his lesson from Season 1.  He and the rest of the cast and crew knew that they were very lucky to get a renewal that would allow them to resolve the cliffhanger, so he promised that this time there would be an ending that would give everyone closure but still leave the door open just in case the show does get renewed for a third season.

• Love 1

The GoT references were actual references.  Giving your children to The White Walkers is on the show (although they gave sons not daughters), the Red Keep is the where the Iron Throne is and the capitol of the seven kingdoms. They've also showed a sign pointing towards Winterfell and mentioned the battle at Castle Black both places are from GoT.

Oh darn - somehow I forgot the Castle Black reference. Do you happen to remember what episode that was in?

Oh darn - somehow I forgot the Castle Black reference. Do you happen to remember what episode that was in?

104 - Comedy Gold - it was made by Sid after he and Isabella freed themselves from the pirates while Galavant was having his private chat with the Pirate King. He said, "You missed a great/awesome battle! Better than anything at Castle Black!"

• Love 1