Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion: PB we missed you!

Re-watched the Season 2 opener; and the introduction of Alexander Mahone really was fantastic. All Season 1, Michael is the smartest man in the room, and then we get someone who is just as smart, but working against him.

• Love 3

Re-watched the Season 2 opener; and the introduction of Alexander Mahone really was fantastic. All Season 1, Michael is the smartest man in the room, and then we get someone who is just as smart, but working against him.

I'm trying to decide if I should re watch season 1. I didn't start watching this show until Christmas break of Season 3. I knew some of what happened just from reading tv sites like this. But I was OBSESSED. I thought that was one of the best seasons of tv I had ever seen, even having been spoiled on some of it. But I don't know that I can survive a re-watch! (batteries in socks, "hold my pocket" etc. etc)

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm currently watching for the first time on Netflix. Just finished Season 1 (which took me about a week. I work full time otherwise it would have been much faster, haha) and am 3 episodes into Season 2. I CANNOT get enough of this show. I fell in love with Wentworth Miller on The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, and man oh man is Dominic Purcell sexy as hell, lol!!  I am looking forward to finishing the series out this summer and then watching the new stuff next year.

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

I'm currently watching for the first time on Netflix. Just finished Season 1 (which took me about a week. I work full time otherwise it would have been much faster, haha) and am 3 episodes into Season 2. I CANNOT get enough of this show. I fell in love with Wentworth Miller on The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, and man oh man is Dominic Purcell sexy as hell, lol!!  I am looking forward to finishing the series out this summer and then watching the new stuff next year.

right! even tho you *know* they clearly escape at the end of season one, it is absolutely white-knuckling as you watch it unfold!

• Love 5

Even though I still think Season 3 had massive problems (like Whistler being a time-wasting McGuffin), it's not as bad when binge-watched. Having to break out of a completely different prison was a good idea.

Season 4, however, is still so ridiculous --even by Prison Break standards-- and I hated the ret-cons and characters like T-Bag and Gretchen that didn't need to be there. The first 4-5 episodes worked okay and had some good moments, but after that it drops off for me.

Season 1 is still the best; and Mahone was a welcome addition to Season 2.

• Love 3
(edited)

Hi everyone. I'm delighted to be here as I needed somewhere to enthuse about the new, and in fact the original, PB!

So. I became used to thinking of Season 4 as 'the downhill one', but when I rewatched late last year I was pleasantly surprised. It was a lot better than I recalled from my first time around. 

-The acting was still great, there was still some very good dialogue, I liked the sunny Miami location and I thought the the over-arching storyline of actively going after the Company was both satisfying, and a logical progression from everything that happened in previous seasons. The relationships between the main characters were fine for the most part, and there were some really nice tense and twisty escapades as our team tried to get each piece of Scylla. 

-I liked seeing General Krantz and the inner workings of the Company up close after them being mainly a shadowy threat for so long. Alex's storyline was a standout for me, and I especially loved the episode where he was caught and ended up in court about to be assassinated by Wyatt, but the team decides to risk themselves to save him just in time. 

-Gretchen, who I hated for a long time, finally became sympathetic and human in The Final Break, especially when she sacrificed her own chance at freedom to help Sara escape. 

-There were a good few enjoyable guest shots from actors I knew and liked from other shows, especially Lost.

-Bellick's character progression was excellent. He was a deeply unlikeable and corrupt bully in the earlier seasons, but they brought out a quite endearing and enthusiastically boyish side to him in S4 as he joined the good guys - and eventually redeemed himself by giving his life for the cause. 

-I even came to like and sympathise with Don Self, after finding him irritating and kind of loud to begin with  :)

There were parts I didn't like, of course.

-I disliked everything about Christina Scofield - the storyline, the character and the actress, who I think was going for 'cool, calculating and detached' but who just came over as wooden. Having Aldo Burrows bring mixed up with the Company was fine and made sense; trying to pull the same twist with Michael and Linc's mother as well felt implausible. 

-Michael and Linc being revealed not to actually be brothers after all, in the final 3 episodes of a show based on their brotherly relationship? Very bad decision by the writers. 

-I had very mixed feelings about T-Bag in season 4. He is absolutely my favourite character (I have a real thing for the bad boys) and I would have been unhappy if he'd been left out, but the way they wrote his involvement was awkward, his characterisation was inconsistent (his Moment of Change at Rita's house which seemed to go nowhere, for example) and it felt like they didn't really know what to do with him. I didn't like his salesman/Cole Pfeiffer storyline, the whole GATE subplot, and his horrible mustache :p That said, Robert Knepper was as good as ever, and when he left GATE, shaved off his mustache and started working for the General T-Bag came into his own again. I was happy to see him back in Fox River with a little pocket-holding friend in the final montage, because after everything he'd done it was as good an outcome as he could have expected, and he was lucky he didn't get the electric chair. 

-I hated that they killed Michael in the end, because after the unbelievable amount of loss and trauma that his whole family has been through, I badly wanted him to have a happy ending with Sara. And the way they brought about his 'death' in The Final Break felt very contrived. But knowing that he's not really dead after all mitigates that, so I'll let it go. And I thought the final scene with Michael's friends visiting his grave to the poignant strains of Lay It Down Slow was actually beautiful. 

Overall it still felt like Prison Break to me, and the good vastly outweighed the bad. Even the most flawed season of this show still stands head and shoulders above many other productions. 

Edited by Argenta
  • Love 5

So.... I just finished Season 2. I am NOT at all excited to watch Season 3 based on how it ended. I don't know if I can handle the whole prison break-out story line again, and especially because it involves that nasty prison Michael is now in. Also, I love Michael/Sara and I know that she isn't even in Season 3 and he is going to think she's dead. I guess the one positive is that it's only 13 episodes, right??

13 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

So.... I just finished Season 2. I am NOT at all excited to watch Season 3 based on how it ended. I don't know if I can handle the whole prison break-out story line again, and especially because it involves that nasty prison Michael is now in. Also, I love Michael/Sara and I know that she isn't even in Season 3 and he is going to think she's dead. I guess the one positive is that it's only 13 episodes, right??

So I take it you're watching for the first time? Give Season 3 a chance :)  It is another break-out, but it doesn't feel like a retread of Season 1, IMO - the whole atmosphere and the way the prison operates is very different to Fox River. Plus, as you noted, it's a much shorter season so everything is condensed and the storyline has to progress a lot faster. 

I won't spoil you, but I will say that Sona is less 'nasty' than you might think - despite there being no guards on the inside, the inmates have their own rules and structure and it's far from the complete free-for-all that I anticipated when I first watched. In some ways, it's actually more civilised than Fox River. 

Sara not being in it is a downer if you're a fan of hers (as I am), but hang in there. 

I'd be interested to hear what you think when you've watched it. As someone has already said, it's better binge-watched than watched at a rate of one episode per week, but you could say that about a lot of shows. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Argenta said:

So I take it you're watching for the first time? Give Season 3 a chance :)  It is another break-out, but it doesn't feel like a retread of Season 1, IMO - the whole atmosphere and the way the prison operates is very different to Fox River. Plus, as you noted, it's a much shorter season so everything is condensed and the storyline has to progress a lot faster. 

I won't spoil you, but I will say that Sona is less 'nasty' than you might think - despite there being no guards on the inside, the inmates have their own rules and structure and it's far from the complete free-for-all that I anticipated when I first watched. In some ways, it's actually more civilised than Fox River. 

Sara not being in it is a downer if you're a fan of hers (as I am), but hang in there. 

I'd be interested to hear what you think when you've watched it. As someone has already said, it's better binge-watched than watched at a rate of one episode per week, but you could say that about a lot of shows. 

Yep, first time! I just watched Ep 1 S3 and man it was tough to watch! I don't like them picking on my Michael, lol! I even felt bad for Bellick. I will soldier on though!

• Love 2

It's Mexico! Which was ridiculous how Michael always wore long sleeve shirts. In Mexico. Yes, I know they were avoiding doing all that tattoo makeup but come on…

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Argenta said:

Alex is the worst, his hair badly needs a brush through it in most of Season 3 :p

LOL, THIS. I just finished Season 3 and the first episode of Season 4. At one point Alex looked like he had stuck his finger in a light socket, haha. I didn't end up hating Season 3 as much I thought, but I'm also glad it was a short season and now we have Sara back. I'm interested to see where this whole "search for Scylla" thing goes...

• Love 1

I am rewatching randomly at the moment, meaning picking out episodes from any season and watching them in no particular order. I've been watching the last few eps of S3 over the weekend, and I never noticed the constant sweat sheen on everyone that much before, but now you've mentioned it I can't unsee it XD

Alex's hair was crazy though. As was T-Bag's quite a lot of the time. At least that's a problem the close-shaven guys like Michael and Linc don't have to contend with. 

What did you make of Susan/Gretchen? I discover whole new levels of hatred for that woman every time I rewatch. The actress is more than competent, I just loathe the character because she's so hard and cold and always seems to come out on top at the expense of our heroes. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Argenta said:

What did you make of Susan/Gretchen? I discover whole new levels of hatred for that woman every time I rewatch. The actress is more than competent, I just loathe the character because she's so hard and cold and always seems to come out on top at the expense of our heroes. 

UGH. At least you like the actress -- I hated both her AND the character. (Then again, this show was never great with female characters.)

I've been selectively re-watching Season 4, and I think where things really fell off is after they actually get Scylla. Then I think the writers were kinda winging it without a real goal for the rest of the season.

And BTW, new viewers; one of the good things to come out of Season 3 was the 'Visitacion' shorts. At the time they were online, but they might still be available on iTunes as podcasts. (I haven't checked lately.)

OK so I just finished Season 4 with the exception of the Final Break which I will watch tomorrow night. I bawled like a baby at that last scene. I know Michael is somehow still alive but geez that was sad!  I didn't hate Season 4 as much as so many others seamed to. I just can't believe it's done (until next year), I feel like I just lost my best friend LOL!

• Love 2

Aww, congrats for finishing! The final scene/montage is really bittersweet. At least you're watching it in the knowledge that Michael will be back though :)

I was really pleased to see Kellerman return for the last couple of episodes - he was a great character and so well acted. I like that he finally listened to his conscience and did the right thing and ended up helping our heroes. 

How did you get on with The Final Break? I felt quite sorry for Lori Petty's character 'Daddy', because although she initially seemed like she might be a scary predatory kind of female T-Bag, she actually turned out to be quite decent and reasonable, and she got screwed over anyway...

Re. the 'Visitacion' extras from season 3 that Trini referred to - they're on YouTube and are well worth watching.

• Love 2
On 6/24/2016 at 1:36 PM, Argenta said:

Aww, congrats for finishing! The final scene/montage is really bittersweet. At least you're watching it in the knowledge that Michael will be back though :)

I was really pleased to see Kellerman return for the last couple of episodes - he was a great character and so well acted. I like that he finally listened to his conscience and did the right thing and ended up helping our heroes. 

How did you get on with The Final Break? I felt quite sorry for Lori Petty's character 'Daddy', because although she initially seemed like she might be a scary predatory kind of female T-Bag, she actually turned out to be quite decent and reasonable, and she got screwed over anyway...

Re. the 'Visitacion' extras from season 3 that Trini referred to - they're on YouTube and are well worth watching.

Thanks! I've been going through sort of a grieving process ever since I finished; after devoting so much time to it I feel like I've lost my best friend!

I enjoyed the Final Break and bawled my eyes out again at the end of it (it doesn't take much to make me cry, obviously). I was pleasantly surprised to see Gretchen make the sacrifice for Sara that she did, after hating her character so much...

I am a big fan of Paul Adelstein, so I liked seeing him be the one who saved all of their behinds at the end as well.

I don't know how I am going to make it to next spring for more!! I also definitely need to check out those 'visitacion' extras on youtube. Thank you for letting me know they are on there!

I just finished binge watching all four seasons on Netflix.  Except for the school-bus sized plot holes and Linc's terrible dialogue I thought it was really good and very suspenseful. I don't think I could have handled one show a week.

What I liked: Michael, Sucre, T-Bag, Tweener, Kellerman, and Dr. Sara. Oh, and Haywire and Mahone.  Loved Mahone.

What I didn't like: Lincoln and his angst, Veronica, the lady vice president, and Hector!  What a shit he was to his own cousin.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2016 at 9:41 PM, savannah1985 said:

.What I liked: Michael, Sucre, T-Bag, Tweener, Kellerman, and Dr. Sara. Oh, and Haywire and Mahone.  Loved Mahone.

Mahone ? 

My heart is breaking because he's not in this.

• Love 3

Mahone not being involved just seems wrong.

On rewatch, I remembered how much I laughed in Season Two at all the guys in the car arguing.  Linc's driving, and I kept expecting him to say, "Enough.  Everyone be quiet.  Don't make me turn this car around."

• Love 4

I recently watched the first 2 episodes on Netflix and liked it.  I didn't watch originally because the theme sounded dumb and because I didn't know how good Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell were. (Thank you Flash/LoT.)

But I have a crazy schedule and only had time to watch because my summer shows have ended and the fall ones haven't started.  I don't think I'll have time to finish before the new shows air.  Any advice on which seasons/episodes are must watch?

• Love 1

That's a hard question, because the series is very serialized, and at least half of the episodes end with a cliffhanger. But all the episodes have the "Previously on Prison Break" intro, so you might be okay missing a few. Seasons 1 and 2 are must-watch, though. Season 3 is shorter than the rest, I'd say you can watch the first few and the last few (from 3.10), but there are a few important episodes in the middle (3.06, 3.07).

I personally think Season 4 was a mess. However, the first three episodes are important to set up the season, and the last episode for going into the reboot. I'd have to really mull over the recaps to figure which other episodes are important for the main returning characters: Michael, Lincoln and Sara.

• Love 4

As of now, I don't need any advice on which episodes to skip. It's only episode 6 and I am hooked enough I'm trying to figure out which of my current shows are going to have to sit on the dvr until December or January.  

I hate shows set in prison. (I may have mentioned that.) Usually that's because the sadistic stuff makes me want to hide in a closet or something and the testosterone is always off the charts.  But Wentworth Miller is really quite amazing in this. I like DP better in LoT though. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tessaray said:

I hate shows set in prison. (I may have mentioned that.) Usually that's because the sadistic stuff makes me want to hide in a closet or something and the testosterone is always off the charts.  But Wentworth Miller is really quite amazing in this. I like DP better in LoT though. 

tessaray, I'm glad you mentioned that. Because I have a close relative who's incarcerated, I also can't bear shows or movies set in prisons (I still can't bring myself to watch The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile, and I know they're nothing like the really violent ones like Oz). But I love, love, love Wentworth Miller, who I discovered in LoT. So from your POV as a prison show hater, how bad is the violence and the sadism (and the sadness) in this? 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

The show overall is pretty violent; but it was still a network show, so they could only show so much. One of main characters is homicidal rapist, and another his main purpose is to make certain prisoners' lives miserable. IMO, the showrunners always seemed to want to earn that "Viewer discretion advised" tag when it aired on Fox.

I agree, the network censors are probably the only reason I can even watch this today.

Michael gets pushed around and beat up on alot and some of it is intense. One scene that made me kind of sick to my stomach was when a guard ground his boot into Michael's foot - which I assume already had some broken bones from a previous scene. But the sadness isn't bad because he's there with a plan, if that makes any sense? There have been some scenes with Lincoln that are supposed to be sad but aren't really, because DP's acting isn't all that great and his son is annoying. I don't think that WM/DP quite have the Flash/LoT chemistry yet but you can definitely see the potential. The supporting characters vary from interesting/quirky to seriously scary, as you would expect from the setting.

The mystery concerning Lincoln being set up for the murder is enough to help shift attention away from the prison and decompress a little. Without those scenes, I'm not sure I would watch. I'm only up to the 7th episode, so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Edited by tessaray
because the browser ate my paragraphs...
  • Love 1

Thank you, tessaray and Trini. That gives me a very good idea what I can expect if I decide to watch it. I'll probably watch the new version first, and then decide whether to watch the old one. I do love WM with his salt-and-pepper hair, so it's a good place to start. :-)

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 9:29 AM, tessaray said:

It's a fascinating show even if it's not my usual thing.  I do love a mystery though and the show delivers on that so far. 

The premise was excellent and original - tatooing the plans, etc., brilliant, as was the execution, but also really original because not a rehash of things we'd seen dozens of time before.

It also helped that the cast was very, very good, as was the characterization - even the most one-note characters on paper surprised because the acting brought nuances to the character. I would never have thought that T-Bag would become the character that I found the most fascinating, and I think at least 80% is due to the actor. I wish Malone and that mafia guy character whose name escaped me could be brought back. I initially had a strong dislike for them but ended up loving the characters, again in no small part due to the actors. 

Where it lacked, in my opinion, is in some dragging (which may be due to the creators not expecting the show to be renewed) starting maybe mid-second season (although I found the beginning of 3rd season quite powerful), and also in some more conventional tropes that were introduced once the (first) prison break had happened.

I just finished E8 and don't quite get the T-Bag love. I keep hearing that he was a popular character but I feel queasy when I see him onscreen.  His face after he killed the guard, the comment on it being one for the team was so creepy.  Only Michael's reaction saved the scene for me.  

Speaking for myself...I just straight-up love T-Bag. I find him charming at the same time as being creepy and menacing, and most of this is attributable to Robert Knepper's charisma and talent. But he's a fictional character, and I don't judge fictional characters the same way I do real people. If I met someone like T-Bag in real life, I'd want to run a mile. 

• Love 4

T-Bag is too much for me. There are not any redeeming qualities about him to even make him "love to hate" for me. But the actor was indeed fantastic. 

I'm rewatching on Netflix now and am so happy I am. I haven't watched this show for some time, and I'd forgotten how fun the Fox Ridge episodes are. I just made it through the riot, and I swear it had me on the edge of my seat, even knowing the outcome. As someone mentioned above, the suspense is what this show always did well. Will Sara make it out unscathed?! Will Michael lay one on her in the ductwork?! I sure hope we get some Michael and Sara scenes before the season finale because the 2 actors' chemistry is just amazing. 

I really felt betrayed by this show when it ended. Losing Michael was such a gut punch. I'm so insanely happy that WM will be back on my screen (his other works aren't my thing), even knowing it's going to be a ridiculous plot line on how he's still breathing! I must be living under a rock because I've just heard this show is coming back. It's like Christmas has come early for the squirrely. :)

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I'm rewatching on Netflix now and am so happy I am. I haven't watched this show for some time, and I'd forgotten how fun the Fox Ridge episodes are. I just made it through the riot, and I swear it had me on the edge of my seat, even knowing the outcome. 

That episode is one of my favourites to rewatch. I also find that the tension never fades, no matter how many times I've seen it. Love Michael and Linc's relieved reunion hug at the end too <3

• Love 5

I made it through the first season and a couple of the second but am kind of stalled right now. I think it's because I made the mistake of reading the episode descriptions on Netflix. While I was relieved that Sarah was alive, I'm not looking forward to seeing her on trial. And I'm still mad they killed another character that I liked (even though she didn't appear to be all that popular).  Maybe over the holidays I'll have time to get back to it. 

14 hours ago, tessaray said:

I made it through the first season and a couple of the second but am kind of stalled right now. I think it's because I made the mistake of reading the episode descriptions on Netflix. While I was relieved that Sarah was alive, I'm not looking forward to seeing her on trial. And I'm still mad they killed another character that I liked (even though she didn't appear to be all that popular).  Maybe over the holidays I'll have time to get back to it. 

Sarah's trial...I won't spoiler you obviously, but something pretty darned awesome happens there. It's more than worth watching. 

You must be referring to

Spoiler

Veronica

being killed off. That made me sad as well, because although she annoyed me at first I grew to really like her - and the way she died was so unfair.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Argenta said:

Sarah's trial...I won't spoiler you obviously, but something pretty darned awesome happens there. It's more than worth watching. 

You must be referring to

Hide contents

Veronica

being killed off. That made me sad as well, because although she annoyed me at first I grew to really like her - and the way she died was so unfair.

I really hated the way that played out. She had her dumb moments, but she wasn't an idiot. She figured out that Kellerman was tracing LJ's phone and had the presence of mind to text him the real details, but she's going to be stupid enough to leave a voice mail for Nick, who was thisclose to handing her over to the mob, with every specific detail for being in Montana? Come on! Moments like this are where the show lost me a little.

• Love 1

Yes! So glad there's a forum for this!

First, for some reason, I missed this show the first time it was around and discovered it three years ago when I was visiting my parents in India. That's right, this was one of the U.S. shows that they air. And I was hooked. They played it every night, so though I didn't have to wait each week, and it wasn't necessarily a marathon watch, I did watch every night. I bought the dvds when I came back to the States and stopped after the end of the second season. Haven't watched the third and did NOT want to watch the fourth, knowing what happened to Michael. But since the show is coming back and with most of the original characters: Michael, Linc, Sara, Sucre, T-Bag, I am SO IN.

And it's funny, I'm the opposite with regards to the acting talents of both Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell; I thought they were both FANFUCKINGTASTIC on this show, but found their portrayals as Captain Cold/Snart and Heatwave/Mick so cheesy and godawful. I've never seen such scenery chewing. Made me think their acting on this show was a fluke! But they both grew on me as their more recent characters. 

I'm NOT happy about the retcon I read in the other thread, that

Michael and Linc aren't brothers after all

As for the length of this series, I watched the special features and interviews, and I could have sworn that they had a five year plan or something, but that by Season three? there was network interference and so they left? I just know I remember them talking about how they had all the storylines mapped out, or something, and were grateful to FOX for letting them be as daring as they were.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

but found their portrayals as Captain Cold/Snart and Heatwave/Mick so cheesy and godawful.

I think Wentworth especially is deliberately hamming it up on Legends/The Flash. (In interviews around the time he first appeared, he seemed to be really excited to play a comic book villain.) On Prison Break (and nearly every other role he's done), he is MUCH more nuanced. I kinda feel bad for people who only know him from the DCTV shows, and don't know he can be so much better.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Trini said:

I think Wentworth especially is deliberately hamming it up on Legends/The Flash. (In interviews around the time he first appeared, he seemed to be really excited to play a comic book villain.) On Prison Break (and nearly every other role he's done), he is MUCH more nuanced. I kinda feel bad for people who only know him from the DCTV shows, and don't know he can be so much better.

Exactly. I guess it shows how talented he is, because he affects this nasally sounding quality to Snart! I remember reading the forums over on TWoP, where we all gushed/swooned talked about how the second season was like a male top model show, with Linc walking with his shirt unbuttoned and flapping in the wind! And how many times we'd see him do that.

The chemistry between Sara and Michael, though? SCORCHING!.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5
On 7.12.2016 at 0:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm NOT happy about the retcon I read in the other thread, that

Hide contents

Michael and Linc aren't brothers after all

That was debunked by, I believe, the writer of the episode (or whoever) in some behind the scenes stuff. They are. The person who said that to Michael was just messing with him.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Smad said:

That was debunked by, I believe, the writer of the episode (or whoever) in some behind the scenes stuff. They are. The person who said that to Michael was just messing with him.

So they retconned their retcon? That particular retcon was stupid, and is easy to pretend never happened, so it's not a big deal to me; but I'd be interested in seeing the who/when/what if that debunking really happened.

• Love 4
On 13.12.2016 at 0:46 AM, Trini said:

So they retconned their retcon? That particular retcon was stupid, and is easy to pretend never happened, so it's not a big deal to me; but I'd be interested in seeing the who/when/what if that debunking really happened.

I don't know if it's true or not because I haven't listened to it myself but the writer supposedly said it in the audio commentary for the episode.

• Love 1