Type keyword(s) to search

Prison Break in the media

SQUEEEEEEEEE!

All of TVLine articles (I don't think any are spoiler-y - all speculation and glee)

When Prison Break Returns, Will Sara? Sarah Wayne Callies Yet to Be Asked

Prison Break Returns: 9 Characters Who Must Be Part of the Revival

Prison Break 'Sequel' Event Series Officially Ordered at Fox

Today's Ausiello:

Question: I’m excited for the new Prison Break series, but I still don’t quite understand how they’re going to get around the fact that

Michael is dead.

Any insight? —Ed
Ausiello: According to star Dominic Purcell, “When you see it, it makes perfect sense… It’s justified.” Personally, I’m not one to argue with Dominic Purcell, mostly on account of the fact that he scares the s–t out of me

Latest info from TVLine:

Prison Break Revival at Fox 'Moving Forward' Despite Legends Hurdles
By Michael Ausiello / January 10 2016, 12:17 PM PST

Interestingly, The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow may have created a little “time” problem for Fox’s Prison Break revival.

Since Prison Break‘s leading men, Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell, are both committed to Legends of Tomorrow‘s 16-episode freshman run, scheduling Prison Break‘s 10-episode continuation has become something of a challenge, TVLine has learned.

Speaking to TVLine Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, where he was promoting Legends, Purcell confirmed that Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox — the studios behind Legends and Prison Break, respectively — are currently hard at work “negotiating the complexities” of a potential deal. But he maintained that the project is “moving forward.”

“There are a lot of moving parts to that conversation,” Miller concurred, “but we are hopeful that we’ll be able to shoot something this spring. Prison Break is taking its cue from Legends, which is the priority. So we’re aiming for spring.”

It was back in August when Fox announced that it had ordered the revival, with an eye towards starting production — presumably — this winter/early spring.

“I would describe it as a bit of a sequel,” Fox CEO Dana Walden at the time. “It picks up the characters several years after we left them in the last season of the show.

The brothers will be back. Some of the iconic characters from that show will be back. I don’t think [exec producer] Paul [scheuring] knows exactly where he’s going over the 10-episode arc, but it definitely will address some questions that were set up at the end of the series for a new audience.”

TVLine today:

Prison Break Revival Is Officially a Go: Updates on Cast, International Setting

By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 15 2016, 9:54 AM PST

Five months after getting a pilot script order, Fox’s Prison Break revival has been officially ordered to series — and the cast is starting to be fleshed out.

Both Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell have signed on to reprise their lead roles, as brothers Michael Scofield and Lincoln Burrows, while TVLine hears that talks thus far are underway with both Sarah Wayne Callies (now starring on USA Network’s Colony) and Robert Knepper, to return as Sara and T-Bag.

Miller and Purcell currently co-star on The CW’s Legends of Tomorrow, which the actors said earlier this week will dictate their window of availability for the Prison Break revival, which is tentatively set to start filming this spring. Originally eyed as a 10-episode event series, Fox is not thinking closer to nine episodes, to begin filming as soon as late March.

“The story unravels on an international landscape — it’s not a domestic [plot],” Fox co-chariman/CEO Dana Walden said. “We open on a very international contemporary-feeling story.”

Walden said that Fox’s Prison Break continuation will “address” the events of the straight-to-DVD epilogue, The Final Break, in which a major character met his demise. Noting how many times the characters have broken out of prison, “It’s not a documentary!” she laughed.

The Fox drama’s original producing team, including series creator Paul T. Scheuring, Neal Moritz, Marty Adelstein and Dawn Olmstead, will executive-produce the new series, with Scheuring serving as showrunner.

From a NYT interview with Wentworth Miller:

You’ll be shooting a “Prison Break” reboot soon. How did that come about?

When Dominic and I got together again for “The Flash,” I hadn’t seen him for five years, but it was like no time had passed. And out of that experience came the idea to approach Fox and see what their level of interest might be in a where-are-they-now limited series. They were on board.

I think everyone involved is really committed to respecting the existing mythology and making sure this new chapter deepens that, up to and including answering some of the questions left at the end of the original series that I know I have and I know the audience has. Like, is Michael still alive, and if so, how?

Can you give us a hint?

[Laughs.] I can’t confirm or deny.

• Love 1

For anyone who has DirecTV, the Audience Channel has been showing Prison Break Season 1. They're about three-fourths of the way through; "Brothers Keeper" is the next episode scheduled.

(edited)

(BTW, DirecTV is about midway through Season 3 now.)

Info from Fox's Fall scheduling press release:

PRISON BREAK is back and ready for its biggest escape yet. In the thrilling new event series PRISON BREAK, original series stars Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Sarah Wayne Callies, Amaury Nolasco, Robert Knepper, Rockmond Dunbar and Paul Adelstein are reunited for an all-new adventure spanning the globe and featuring the signature thrills and cliffhangers that were hallmarks of the original series when it aired on FOX from 2005-2009. The original action drama centered on MICHAEL SCOFIELD (Miller, "The Loft"), a young man determined to save his convicted brother, LINCOLN BURROWS (Purcell, "DC's Legends of Tomorrow"), from death row by hatching an elaborate plan to escape from prison. In the all-new event series, filmed on location in Morocco, clues surface that suggest a previously thought-to-be-dead Michael may be alive. Lincoln and SARA (Sarah Wayne Callies, "Colony," "The Walking Dead"), Michael's wife until he was assumed dead, reunite to engineer the series' biggest escape ever, as three of Fox River State Penitentiary's most notorious escapees, SUCRE (Nolasco, "Telenovela"), T-BAG (Knepper, "Heroes") and C-NOTE (Dunbar, "The Mentalist"), are pulled back into the action.

"Prison Break" was an immediate critical and ratings hit when it premiered on FOX in the fall of 2005, garnering Golden Globe Award nominations for Best Television Series - Drama and Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama (Miller). The original producing team, including series creator Paul T. Scheuring, Neal Moritz, Marty Adelstein and Dawn Olmstead, will return to executive-produce the new series, with Scheuring serving as showrunner/writer.

PRODUCTION COMPANY: 20th Century Fox Television
EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Paul T. Scheuring, Neal Moritz, Marty Adelstein, Dawn Olmstead, Vaun Wilmott, Michael Horowitz
WRITER: Paul T. Scheuring
DIRECTOR: Nelson McCormick
CAST: Wentworth Miller as Michael Scofield, Dominic Purcell as Lincoln Burrows, Sarah Wayne Callies as Sara Tancredi, Amaury Nolasco as Sucre, Robert Knepper as T-Bag, Rockmond Dunbar as C-Note, Mark Feuerstein as Jacob Anton Ness, Augustus Prew as Whip, Rick Yune as Ja, Inbar Lavi as Sheba, Paul Adelstein as Paul Kellerman

It's scheduled to air Thursdays at 9pm in 2017.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

The only thing I hated was T-Bag being there; WHY is he free??? Ugh. I didn't see Sucre. Other than that, it looks good! So far it seems they got the tone of the original series, and everyone seems in-character. I was wondering how they would fit C-Note into this, but they used his military background when he was deployed in the Middle East -- cool. And Linc SMASH!

• Love 3

Not sure why T-Bag is out. Or why he'd be getting the picture of Michael in the mail. Though the rumors of him having amnesia might be real? Noticed he was using airplanes instead of origami. When he hugs Linc he says you're my brother right? 

No Sucre bummed me out.

The tone is definitely season 1 and 2 thank goodness.

I put this show to bed but yeah I'm over the moon it's back for a limited run.

• Love 1

I was worried when I heard about Dominic's injury - I'm glad he's recovering well and is up to making jokes about it on social media.

And although it's secondary to Dom's wellbeing, I'm also pleased the show won't be held back :)

I am ridiculously excited to see the new trailer and so many familiar faces. I can't say how much I love this show and all of the characters. I rewatched the entire series last year, and now I feel like rewatching again in preparation for the new season. It never gets old or boring, no matter how many times I've seen certain episodes. 

I'm especially happy to see T-Bag back, as he was my favourite character. And Sara - it just wouldn't have been the same without her. 

New poster, and more info about Comic Con:

Fresh from wrapping production on the revival, original series stars Wentworth Miller (Michael), Dominic Purcell (Lincoln), Sarah Wayne Callies (Sara), Robert Knepper (T-Bag), plus producers Vaun Wilmott and Michael Horowitz will participate in the "Fox Action Showcase" hour Sunday, July 24 at 12:30 PM in Hall H.

But fans at the convention won't have to wait until Sunday to get their Prison Break fix: a con-exclusive mini poster will be handed out at the Fox booth all weekend.

PB_ComicCon_1sht_F8_SIMP-662x1024.jpg

(edited)

'How the 'Odyssey'-inspired revival came to be' :

... With that long break in mind, it was Scheuring who came up with the idea to use one of the most famous epics in history to revive the beloved series. “It’s ultimately a story about somebody coming back to life,” Scheuring says — though he stays mum on just how Michael is still alive after sacrificing himself in The Final Break. “The emotional heart of it is that he left behind a wife and a son he’s never seen before. ‘Hey, wait, isn’t that The Odyssey?’” And Scheuring took his inspiration literally: In both tales, the heroes use the assumed named Outis and resurface after seven years in the foreign land of Ogygia, attempting to get home. ...

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

I'm seeing promos for Fox's mid-season shows, and no mention of Prison Break. Seems like this won't be airing until summer - maybe May? There hasn't been any news about scheduling.

This from a spoiler article, so I'm putting it in a spoiler tag, but I don't think it gives away anything that hasn't been talked about already. Producer on the theme of the revival:

Spoiler

Why is Michael in prison in the Middle East on the new Prison Break? — Peter

Exactly why he landed behind bars will be unveiled over the course of the revival, but it plays into Prison Break pulling from the Odyssey in its new story. “I wanted Michael to show up in the most unexpected and distant and foreboding place,” EP Paul Scheuring says. “The deepest, darkest part of the Middle Eastern struggle might be that. It raises the question: How the hell of all places did he end up there? Doing honor to the Odyssey, one of the big components of the season was Odysseus went through hell, he went across half the globe to get home. That’s what I wanted to do with Michael. It’s not just a matter of getting out of prison or getting out of a country, but it was traversing half the globe to get back to his wife and the son he hasn’t seen before, to really play that Odyssey feel as opposed to just getting out of a prison in the United States and getting back to them.”

• Love 1

Reports from the TCA panel:

EW,

Deadline,

TV Line,

IGN,

Variety.

One quote that concerns me:

The original order for “Prison Break” season five was 10 episodes. That was later cut to nine. Scheuring said that decision was made due to scheduling limitations.

“We had 15 weeks, 16 weeks to shoot the whole thing,” Scheuring said. “At the end of the day, we just didn’t have enough time for 10 hours. So we conflated two of those episodes into one.”

Oy, original Prison Break had pacing problems - even with 22-episode seasons. (With things like events happening all in one day that could not possibly happen all in one day) Looks like more of the same.

• Love 1

Just watched the teaser/making of doc; i do love Bob Knepper. (T bag, him i want to see get run over by a truck.) Was it my imagination or did i see  a Kit Harrington look alike among the baddies going after Lincoln?

• Love 1

Prison Break will have a screening and panel at WonderCon:

Prison Break
Friday March 31, 2017 2:15pm – 3:30pm
Room 300AB

Breaking out is only the beginning! Join Wentworth Miller, Dominic Purcell, Sarah Wayne Callies, Robert Knepper, and executive producers Paul Scheuring, Vaun Wilmott, and Michael Horowitz for a true fan event as they debut the first episode of 2017’s most highly anticipated series. A moderated panel will follow the screening.

A couple of reports about the Prison Break WonderCon panel:
https://www.tvinsider.com/151019/the-prison-break-team-shares-revival-teases-at-wondercon-2017

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/832933-prison-break-returns

-----------------
'Here's Everything You Need to Know About the Revival'

'Inside Fox's Prison Break revival' -- Quotes from the cast and producer about the revival

-----------------

And a couple of reviews:
Collider -- a negative one, but he admits that he was never into the original run.

Paste Mag. -- also leaning toward the negative side.

It seems that if you were able to roll with the original series despite its flaws (and even the best season had problems) then you'll be able to enjoy the revival. "Testosterone-fueled soap opera" is a very accurate description, IMO.

Of  the few negative reviews I have read, the reviewer prefaces how they weren't a fan of the original.  I think I'll wait and make my own judgments because I was a true fan and I always wanted a reunion.  If I don't like it, fine, but those reviews have such a snooty tone to them.  Never heard of Paste Mag myself.

• Love 1