Type keyword(s) to search

Gender On Television: It's Like Feminism Never Happened

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Cagney & Lacey never had dressed like they were going to a club. 

Fun fact:  Tyne Daly shopped for some of Lacey's wardrobe.  The costume department was always pushing to put her in fancier clothes, but she knew that's not how the character would dress, so she'd go get stuff Mary Beth would wear and could afford.

• Like 3
  • Useful 7
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd have expected this from shows made in the '70s. 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd have expected the opposite, actually.  Cagney & Lacey never had dressed like they were going to a club.  Not at work, actually.

Well Cagney & Lacey was an 80s show and the duo was billed as the  first female detective team on the NYPD. Barney Miller would occasionally have women detectives during its 1975 to 1982 run.

In the 70s the first women were going into full policing duties in much of America and thus TV had the three come out of their police academies and quit due to their limited duties and became Charlie's Angels. Pepper Anderson of Police Woman was famously undercover much of the time as she came up before women were accepted for unlimited street duties, at least in the LAPD.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Fun fact:  Tyne Daly shopped for some of Lacey's wardrobe.  The costume department was always pushing to put her in fancier clothes, but she knew that's not how the character would dress, so she'd go get stuff Mary Beth would wear and could afford.

I'm glad she did that. It made sense that's how Mary Beth would dress. Jane Rizzoli from Rizzoli & Isles dressed normal for a detective. She wore button top or had several of the same type of top in different colors, pants and boots. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Raja said:

Well Cagney & Lacey was an 80s show and the duo was billed as the  first female detective team on the NYPD. Barney Miller would occasionally have women detectives during its 1975 to 1982 run.

Thanks.  I guess I'm now old enough to get my decades confused. 😵

• Love 4

So now that most of us have realized Will Schuester on Glee is trash, is it maybe time to admit that Terri wasn’t the monster that the show wanted us to believe she was?

Or putting it another way: the show wrote her using a bunch of sexist “bitch wife” tropes to excuse Will’s behavior and make him out to be a big sad victim instead of a pathetic manchild living out his midlife crisis through a high school glee club?

Really, if had Glee had competent writers that made an effort with their female characters, Terri would have come to her senses and realized that Will was NOT worth faking a pregnancy for, especially when he was emotionally lusting after Emma.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

The new Fatal Attraction series promised as a more nuanced version of Alex, the version that Glenn Close fought so hard to keep. What we got was an even more evil Psycho Bitch who skips the bunnies and goes right to full-on murder.

The only difference between that and the movie is that Dan at least gets more consequences for his actions, but that victory feels hollow.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 6/10/2021 at 7:31 PM, biakbiak said:

He did creepily watch a 16 year old girl while she slept, made a ton of choices for her without asking her before and after she sent him to hell (based on what he felt was best for her) so yeah in boyfriends he is also all the red flags.

It is a vampire story. Vampires are stalkers and serial killers and lead women into wantoness and disgrace and evil. Some of this is hard to avoid. 

• LOL 2