Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Bort
  • Start Topic

They should remove the tats as the cases are solved. It would be the decent thing to do.

In the old series Brimstone, there was a prison break from Hell.  Satan tattooed a human bounty hunter with the name of each escapee.  When one was re-captured, that tat was erased.

• Love 4

I understand the comments about John Doe, but i was reminded of some older ones.

Nowhere Man. A photojournalist finds himself on the run from a conspiracy that suddenly materializes around him. Apparently he took the wrong picture. Now he's playing "Fugitive" while trying to protect the negatives. It lasted on season and at the end there was a hint that he was actually an FBI agent who was heavily brainwashed into believing he was someone else just to see what he would do.

Alien, a novel by LP Davis, was about a man brainwashed into thinking he was a shipwrecked alien as an experiment to see what a real alien might do. This was the inspiration for a Telly Savalas movie in which a man who couldn't get over the death of his wife, volunteered to be brainwashed into amnesia, with a few planted suggetions and then turned loose with a heavily bandaged face. The idea was that he would be mistaken for a member of a violent gang who had been captured, with extensive facial injuries, after a big job. The authorities would follow him as he tried to find his supposed friends.

So, my thought is that this is similar-- the amnesia is to force her to act on instinct to help achieve some goal that the people behind her could not achieve despite their skills and resources.

• Love 2

I don't think anyone ever gave an official reason for not doing the tattoos anymore.

Actually, they did. They were giving Wentworth irritated-skin problems, he was breaking out from them. (Ha ha, I just made a joke!)

Will Jane Doe become more covered up with clothing as the series goes on? We'll see!

Will Jane Doe become more covered up with clothing as the series goes on? We'll see!

Exposition Agent: Her right thigh has GPS co-ordinates 100 miles east of Cape Cod.

Weller: Call the Coast Guard to transport us and get wetsuits for me and Jane....

• Love 1

Huh.  I liked it.  I did think it was way too much of a mash-up of things we've all seen in the past (Momento, John Doe, Prison Break, etc), but given that- I thought the acting was good.  Even the FBI agent.  Everyone said the same thing about Anna Torv in Fringe and it turned out it was a purposeful choice.

I remember being one of the first to point out that possibility on TWoP, but I have to point out there were reasons to think that with Olivia's character. It was really key to the character than Olivia 1.0 was suppressed, very controlled, and that started to become obvious through the writing and close observation of her face. So it was far more than her seeming wooden, because there was a lot going on behind Torv's eyes the whole time. That makes the comparison a tough one, until we see those same subtle cues. I'm not saying they aren't there, but it's an ambitious comparison, that's all I'm saying. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I understand the comments about John Doe, but i was reminded of some older ones.

Nowhere Man. A photojournalist finds himself on the run from a conspiracy that suddenly materializes around him. Apparently he took the wrong picture. Now he's playing "Fugitive" while trying to protect the negatives. It lasted on season and at the end there was a hint that he was actually an FBI agent who was heavily brainwashed into believing he was someone else just to see what he would do.

I remember Nowhere Man. It was an interesting show. The showrunner actively interacted with fans. [is anyone else here old enough to remember Usenet?]

He made the point that the theme was what Thomas was learning about himself on his quest.

Edited by Syme

I thought the acting was good.  Even the FBI agent.  Everyone said the same thing about Anna Torv in Fringe and it turned out it was a purposeful choice.

Indeed. REAL FeeBee's are so wooden that termites can be an issue. And in Fringe, the anti-parallels between Walter & Walternot and Olivia & Bolivia were part of the core.

One thing that bugged me was that redacted document.  There would be thousands of "if, and, the, a" etc words that were not redacted.  Also, they redact all the small, mundane words but leave “murder” and “extortion” (or whatever the second word was)?  I don’t buy it for a second.  That was highly contrived and annoying.  Besides, for all anyone knows she was trying to prevent murder and extortion by a very high-up person which is why the whole thing was redacted.  It doesn’t mean she’s the person those words apply to.

If you spent any time reading redacted documents, you'd be more accepting of this folly. What is redacted varies from the ridiculous to the sublime. Sometimes whole pages, sometimes one word. There are some noted cases where the same document was released through two different FOIA channels. Later someone gets both versions and compares/combines them, and gets 95% of the original text back.....

• Love 1

I was fine with Jane not being a bad ass right out of the gate. She didn't know her abilities; it makes sense that it will be a process of discovery. Too, she'd been traumatized and violated, once by an unknown person and again by the FBI. While I was thrilled when she stood up for herself, I think it was effective and authentic that she had to work up to that point. I think the same is true of the breakdown. Becoming a sobbing mess on the floor seems like a natural reaction to the circumstances. I couldn't get behind her needing to be comforted after the flashback, though. I expected that to be something she'd want to talk about right away.

I agree that there was much too much violence against women in this episode. I get the snatched from the headlines thing, but there were lots of other headlines available. Between that and Jane herself it was already too much. There were other ways to awaken Jane's skills than using an abusive landlord.

I wanted to smack Special Agent Neck Beard. First, because he was a heartless, soulless stick and second because he wasn't a younger version of D.B. Sweeney. Actually, I wanted to smack almost all of the FBI agents. You can be compassionate without totally dislodging your stick.

I wanted to smack Special Agent Neck Beard. First, because he was a heartless, soulless stick and second because he wasn't a younger version of D.B. Sweeney. Actually, I wanted to smack almost all of the FBI agents. You can be compassionate without totally dislodging your stick.

It's what happens when you try to make most of your characters super serious.

I was eager to see this as I like both Jamie Alexander and Sullivan Stapleton, but a loud "NOOOOOOO!!!1!" was wrenched out of me when I saw the "created by Martin Gero" credit at the beginning. Expect hackneyed plots with no clue as to how human beings actually act and relate to one another.

• Love 1

I wanted to smack Special Agent Neck Beard. First, because he was a heartless, soulless stick  

He is able to think outside the box...capturing the hillbilly without firing a shot to minimize the odds of collateral damage. Although why send so many agents to backwater Kentucky when Raylan Givens is there?

• Love 2

He is able to think outside the box...capturing the hillbilly without firing a shot to minimize the odds of collateral damage. Although why send so many agents to backwater Kentucky when Raylan Givens is there?

Deputy Givens has been forgiven and gone back to Miami to be near his child.

I've never seen any of these actors before with the exception of de Baptiste, who I fondly remember from Without a Trace and Broadchurch. I'll watch another episode but I was having flashbacks to my Blacklist annoyance - which I quit before the end of the first season.

I hope that Jane starts to act like a kick ass heroine and the show doesn't portray her as relying on the manly strength of Weller.

I finally got around to watching the pilot, and it really needed some pep in its step.  I was thinking I might stick around for a regular dose of Marianne Jean-Baptiste, but IMDB says she was only in the pilot, so that's off the table.  This one's probably going to get lost in the shuffle.

Oh, my. I missed that last one. Thankfully.

If you're talking about YPF - you missed out on a funny movie.  It had some sad moments, but overall I thought it was hilarious.  I don't know where you're from, but up here in Canada it produced a media frenzy with its title and the last word wasn't spelled out properly - turns out our censor board thought we were more sensitive about things then we actually are (at least that's what I like to think).

Even with James Spader, I couldn't stomach the credulity stretch required for Blacklist and this one looks even worse.  I mean, each week they decipher the tattoo that just happens to be the "most critical" one at that particular moment and solve/prevent the crime "just in time"?  Really?  I mean, isn't the FBI lucky that people weren't a bit slower in photographing the tats, or showing them to Jane (as the only one who can read Mandarin Chinese, apparently).

Although I enjoyed the series so far, this is my gripe as well. The tattoos are a wall of exposition but there's no particular order to read it in. I think in episode 2 they established that one tattoo leads to the next. I can buy that they left an easy one to be number one. But getting these intricate villain plots to wait until the FBI is ready to investigate? That's just silly. They have a discussion (again in ep. 2 IIRC) about if they are triggering these events. Let's forget about that and figure out how someone got them all to line up in the first place.

Another it's not a bug, it's a feature they stole from the Blacklist is that apparently there are only six FBI agents in New York City. There were quite a number of places in which the characters would have been well within their rights and interests to call for some help! Isn't this supposed to be the era of inter-agency cooperation? But instead it's just the four field agents having to ask an amnesiac for advice because there's no one else they can turn to... in New York City.

• Love 1
Let's forget about that and figure out how someone got them all to line up in the first place.

Yeah, this additional plot line is really stretching it, that someone is prescient enough to know exactly the time line for particular events that he/she can tattoo them in code/puzzles on Jane to lead one to the next.

It's sort of 1966 Batman, isn't it?  The Riddler and Penguin used to send clues for Batman to follow, so he could come along with Robin, and put a stop to their dastardly deeds!

But in a show that does not star Adam West, why would any baddie reveal their plans to the cops?  And if the information is coming from a good Samaritan who wants the crimes stopped, why not send full details of each event in an e-mail?  You know, instead of tattooing hard-to-read clues onto a woman?

• Love 1

It's sort of 1966 Batman, isn't it?  The Riddler and Penguin used to send clues for Batman to follow, so he could come along with Robin, and put a stop to their dastardly deeds!

But in a show that does not star Adam West, why would any baddie reveal their plans to the cops?  And if the information is coming from a good Samaritan who wants the crimes stopped, why not send full details of each event in an e-mail?  You know, instead of tattooing hard-to-read clues onto a woman?

My preliminary guess is that the guy with the beard wants revenge on mayfair for something that she did (relating to her file). He is setting things up so that they become fascinated with Jane's tatoos and capacities so that when they get to that number she will be credible.

Of course that makes for an incredibly convoluted plot.

Also with her memory of the shooting training it is a big plothole that she wouldn't mention the guy in the memory. I do believe they have sketch artists and that might help. Unless Mayfair already suspects and is hoping they won't figure it out.

• Love 1

I have a feeling the ultimate answer is going to be underwhelming no matter what it is.

As underwhelming as the show has been so far? She's excellent eye-candy; looks really hot every night in the mirror & playing chop-socky....

But beyond that?

Edited by Syme
  • Love 2

That's always the risk with high-concept shows. As long as we have no ice-bear and smoke-monster sightings I'm good.

That would actually make things more interesting here.

I have a feeling the ultimate answer is going to be underwhelming no matter what it is.

I'm already feeling that way and it's more with the show itself than any of the answers.

She still has a model's build, not a fighter's.

FWIW Jaimie Alexander was a high school wrestler and has demonstrated the real-world ability to knock people unconscious. One time a producer was sexually harassing her at a party and she laid him out cold. Also, my ex is a similar build and a black belt. So I don't really get this complaint? Plus, although she's shown defeating a larger and heavier man, she was Navy and he was Air Force.

• Love 3

Also with her memory of the shooting training it is a big plothole that she wouldn't mention the guy in the memory.

She is perhaps realizing that the memories she is recovering are incriminating, so is reluctant to reveal them. So over time she'll remember nearly everything, but pretend not to? Deceiving her new minders will allow her to use their resources to pursue her mystery while minimizing the risk of being locked up for her former deeds. The mopey Aussie will gradually realize this and feel betrayed, the poor mumbly lunk.

FWIW Jaimie Alexander was a high school wrestler and has demonstrated the real-world ability to knock people unconscious. One time a producer was sexually harassing her at a party and she laid him out cold.

Just when I think I couldn't like her any more!

Somewhat intriguing, only I couldn't help feeling it can't possibly last. Not only did it remind me of a couple of other shows mentioned here (John Doe & Brimstone) that were both one season wonders, but without going supernatural (which both of those shows involved) it's hard to see what possible mundane scenario could result in the way "Jane Doe" appears here - if it's an "inside man/woman" in some terrorist organisation, then there surely has to be an easier way to get the info to the Feds (because I'm sure no terror cell would fall for "I just need to spend five hours locked in my room with a strange woman and some tattoo ink" - at least not one that presented any threat). The only scenario that makes sense to me is that she's working for a WikiLeaks type organisation to expose corruption in the FBI - which is why Marianne Jean-Baptiste's character was reading that redacted document (she's either part of the corruption/conspiracy or investigating it). But even that seems far fetched (to say the least!).

Funniest thing about this episode? I finally realised where I knew Jamie Alexander from: Agents of SHIELD, where she played an amnesiac superpowered individual (Lady Sif). So it's a real change to see her playing an amnesiac secret agent!

ETA: Is the FBI Agent meant to be an idiot? He offers "Jane Doe" a handful of menus and suggests she "orders what she likes" - even though he knows she didn't know if she preferred tea or coffee. At least suggest she orders "Set Meal B - it'll probably have something you like. If there isn't, we can try a pizza tomorrow." You do remember she's an amnesiac, right?

Edited by John Potts

I just recently discovered this show. It makes me very sad that there seem to be so many excellent TV shows available that I've never heard of (like Goliath) and I only discover after long and painful searches. I sure do wish there were an easier way.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this show very much. For someone that likes to live vicariously through characters in movies or TV shows, there is a wealth of choices here. Can you just imagine what it would be like to wake up as this lady? Can you imagine how you would deal with her if you were told to help her regain her knowledge of the world? You would have to teach her to read and write. You'd have to teach her most everything people learn in school plus a whole lot more.

So very interesting. So very enjoyable. And I'm just on the very first episode.

• Love 1
On 8/7/2019 at 8:44 AM, werden said:

Just now I started to watch this show. While it looks pretty intriguing. And tattoos look very mysterious. I look forward to a lot of fun.

So that was back in August.  What happened?  Did you keep watching?  I just started watching this month (February 2020) and I am on season 2.  There are things I REALLY like about this show, and some things not so much - but it's a fun ride!