Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Bort
  • Start Topic

Huh.  I liked it.  I did think it was way too much of a mash-up of things we've all seen in the past (Momento, John Doe, Prison Break, etc), but given that- I thought the acting was good.  Even the FBI agent.  Everyone said the same thing about Anna Torv in Fringe and it turned out it was a purposeful choice.  I don't think that Kurt is going to be as good a character as Olivia but you never know. I do think they'll go the trope of him being all hard-ass because of his job and Jane is the only one to soften him up.  That could be good or bad depending on the story telling and the acting.  I thought they had chemistry but I guess that was just me.

One thing that bugged me was that redacted document.  There would be thousands of "if, and, the, a" etc words that were not redacted.  Also, they redact all the small, mundane words but leave “murder” and “extortion” (or whatever the second word was)?  I don’t buy it for a second.  That was highly contrived and annoying.  Besides, for all anyone knows she was trying to prevent murder and extortion by a very high-up person which is why the whole thing was redacted.  It doesn’t mean she’s the person those words apply to.

The other thing that I wish this show hadn’t done was show us so early that Jane made the decision to have her memory wiped.  I would’ve preferred to learn about her past alongside the character. 

The Navy Seal thing also bugged.  I just agree with an above poster that said the Seal tattoo is also a red herring.  I’m going with that theory.

• Love 5

Enjoyed the pace but hearing not once but three times that I want to go no you can't exchange was laughable, some really awful, expository dialogue.

I've got some hope they have it worked out due to what's already been revealed.

I've just been burned so many times by shows that have an awesome mysterious premise that turns out to be either one the writ re haven't thought through (the 4400) or is jus stupid (intruders, wayward Pines).

Edited by lucindabelle

Lastly, from The Following to CSI: Cyber to this show, what it is with FBI agents trying solve time-sensitive cases in a large area by themselves? Do they not know that they have law enforcement manpower from multiple agencies for them to utilize?

Mainly to show off, but in Following and Cyber's cases, it was more due to character stupidity.

• Love 2

Watched this morning as I was getting ready for work, and it did keep me engaged. I wasn't a fan of JA when I first saw her on Kyle XY but came to really like the Lady Sif so I am a won over fan. I agree about Kurt, he wasn't all that charismatic. I almost wish they had cast Michael Ealy as the main FBI guy (why yes, he is super sexy!) who was a little more sarcastic with a slightly impish personality and cast the current, gruff lead as a supporting. I am willing to let him try to win me over.

I also think the Seals thing is a red herring. I mean, obviously from her flashback she was being trained on the low and not with other Seals so I think there's something else there. Either way, I'm in at least until they piss me off.

• Love 1

Evidently it's just me, but The Blacklist vibe coming off this was overpowering. Oh, it's gendertwisted in some ways. Red's supernatural abilities to predict an imminent crime and his mad skillz of various sorts are invested in a woman. On the other hand, the angsty amnesiac Megan Boone is still a woman, except with the suffering amped to 11 from day one. The FBI dud came across to me as an unattractive Ressler. (No doubt there are many who find Sullivan Stapleton more appealing Diego Klaatenhoff.)

The thing is, one, the "plotting" in The Blacklist became unendurable and two, there's no Ryan Eggold. Didn't make it to the end of the episode, sorry, not coming back.

• Love 1

Couldn't they have just made her CIA or something? Those names are kept secret, not Navy Seals. She'd also have to have high level combat training and speak multiple languages in the CIA. 

Although it seems like she received the training but it isn't actually part of the Seals. She seems to be part of some group with the guy from Empire Records. 

That stuff wouldn't have bugged me if the plot wasn't so predictable. Knew she spoke Chinese, knew she would kick the abusive landlord's ass, and so on.

Not only does she speak Chinese, she's apparently fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese, as well as a dialect which stumped Mayfair's professional translators. Which makes no sense anyway, because they're supposedly trying to translate emails and written Chinese is common to all spoken dialects. In other words, the emails would be comprehensible to all Chinese speakers, regardless of which dialect they speak. They might pronounce each written character differently but the meaning remains the same. For example, in Mandarin, the number "1" is pronounced "yi" whereas in Cantonese, it's pronounced "yat." And it's written "—" for all dialects.

As for the show, I'm liking Jaimie Alexander so far but agree with others that Sullivan Stapleton is duller than dull. I normally like broody and smoldery but he's just blank and wooden. It's as if he used up all his charisma on Strike Back.

• Love 8

Looking at Sgt. Damien Scott being an FBI agent, I can not help expecting that when he and Lady Sif are in the safe house that they will strip down and hump right there and then...

I was the opposite.  I adore Strike Back and the chemistry Sully had with everyone he played a scene with.  I found he didn't have any chemistry with Jaimie.  Might be pilot jitters and getting to know people thing.  Here's hoping it changes.  Having said that I will of course keep watching this for Sully.  I also didn't have an issue with his accent - maybe I'm just not that in tune with accents, but given how well he did on Strike Back, I don't think he'll have a problem maintaining an American accent here.

Here's hoping the cast settles in and gets as comfortable with each other as the crew on Strike Back seemed to be.  When that happens this show will get into a groove.  The last few minutes were off for me but given it's just the pilot I'm willing to give it some leeway.

On a totally shallow note may I say how distracting the wig was on flashback Jane Doe.  Seriously?  They couldn't do better than going to a drug store and picking up a Hallowe'en wig?  That's what it looked like to me.

• Love 5

I was surprised by how much I liked it.  The plot barreled along quickly enough that I didn't have much time to notice the holes in it, but not so fast that I couldn't figure out what was going on (I'm looking at you,Twelve Monkeys).

That said, the Navy Seal bit was so illogical that it has to be a red herring, as suggested upthread. If it isn't, then the whole plot goes from intriguing to stupid.  Your choice, writers.

I actually found it effective that the male lead was so wooden in his interactions with Jane.  It was refreshing to see them avoid the usual cliche of I-have-amnesia-I'm-so-terrified-I-don't-even-know-if-I-have-a-family-let's-make-out.

• Love 1

The jury is still out, but I think this has potential. For me, how they handle who she is and how she got there will make or break it.  I don't think she's a SEAL.  That she is was just speculation. 

• Love 3

I would like to watch a show about a secret female Navy Seal.

That being said, this was better than I expected. Actually no, the show was as terrible as I expected, but Jaimie Alexander is just very watchable. I'll stick with it for her for a few episodes at least, and hope they continue to give her lots more agency and scale back the sad vulnerability (even if she does wear it well).

I also liked all of the supporting players, esp. the sarcastic black dude. Too bad about the main guy, he was about as compelling as a plank of wood.

I'm curious to know if it's makeup or a bodysuit too. Damn, that seems like a pain in the ass if it's the former.

It's going to be weird if they don't discover her name for a few episodes and everyone gets used to calling her Jane.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 1

Le sigh. Another 105 lb waif who's supposed to kick the asses of multiple opponents twice her size.

There is no universe where Jaimie Alexander is 105 lbs.  She's way too tall and also at least a bit muscular. Not that it still isn't a bit groanworthy if she's taking down legions of 200 lb. men, but she's got to be 130 lbs herself.

EDIT - Okay, I take back the "no universe" part. In fact, all you'd have to do is transport Jaimie to another planet with different gravity.  Anyway, I think my point is that she doesn't have a waif body type at all. Really it's only marginally more eye rollworthy her being able to kick lots of asses than Jackie Chan. 

The jury is still out, but I think this has potential. For me, how they handle who she is and how she got there will make or break it.  I don't think she's a SEAL.  That she is was just speculation. 

There aren't so many female SEALs they'd be able to lose track of one though.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm curious to know if it's makeup or a bodysuit too. Damn, that seems like a pain in the ass if it's the former

It's make up, JA was at the Emmy's talking about how she still had some make up on her skin from shooting on Friday. 

They brought up her being a Navy Seal because of the covered tat on her back is the Navy Seal motto and logo. Although that would keep it from being a secret.

Edited by Sakura12

I enjoyed this a lot, which unfortunately, probably means it is doomed.  I thought Jamie Alexander was fantastic.  She did so much acting with just her eyes and her quivering face and lips.  I dare say that if the show is successful, I think she would be deserving of Emmy consideration for this episode.  There was so much emotion in her expressions when she wasn't saying a word.  If Patricia Arquette can win an Emmy for a crappy show like Medium, anything is possible.

I really liked Sullivan Stapleton in Strike Back, but I agree that he was a bit dull here.  I blame the character, who seems to have been written as this ultra serious dude.  Too bad he couldn't have found a series where his character has more personality.

I am utterly confused about the Marianne Jean Baptiste reveal at the end.  Her character is named Mayfair.  She was reading a redacted file labelled "Bethany Mayfair".  I assume her name is Bethany?  The file suggested that she had committed murder.  Her case number is tattooed onto Jamie's body.  Which also has Kurt Weller's name tattooed on it.  So I guess there's multiple mysteries there, 1) what is this murder she was involved in all about and 2) are all of the FBI agents going to have some connection to a tattoo?

Tattoo of the week could be an interesting premise.

• Love 2

Evidently it's just me, but The Blacklist vibe coming off this was overpowering. Oh, it's gendertwisted in some ways. Red's supernatural abilities to predict an imminent crime and his mad skillz of various sorts are invested in a woman. On the other hand, the angsty amnesiac Megan Boone is still a woman, except with the suffering amped to 11 from day one. The FBI dud came across to me as an unattractive Ressler. (No doubt there are many who find Sullivan Stapleton more appealing Diego Klaatenhoff.)

The thing is, one, the "plotting" in The Blacklist became unendurable and two, there's no Ryan Eggold. Didn't make it to the end of the episode, sorry, not coming back.

Instead of a Blacklist spinoff or story arc we get this. And just like the Blacklist if they don't have a serious plan for the show over time it will fizzle. Mysteries are one thing but over the top contrivence is another. This is also a shallow attempt to cash in on the tatoo craze, fad or crowd which is at it's peak with tv shows etc.

But if you think about the Blacklist hardcore FBI Agent gets help from an informant/consultant that is what is going on here.

Edited by misstwpherecool

I know it was just the first episode, but I rather enjoyed it.  The action, the intrigue.

I thought Jamie Alexander did a good job portraying a shellshocked woman with near total amnesia, plus she kicked ass.

The ending with Big Black Boss Lady Bethany and her largely redacted file was good, and Creepy Evil Beard Man who trained Jane looks awesomely evil.

Sullivan Stapleton is no Liev Schreiber, but he does alright in a pinch and he's a cutie, to boot.

I'm in this for the long haul.  Don't fuck this up, NBC.

• Love 3

I need to keep my shows straight.

"The Blacklist" is the one with the good movie actor playing a mysterious guy with lots of information about future crimes in his head.  He's paired with a terrible actress playing an FBI agent.

"Blindspot" is the one with the good movie actress playing a mysterious woman with lots of information about future crimes tattooed all over her body.  She's paired with a terrible actor playing an FBI agent.

Both shows are filmed in a gray, washed-out, depressingly dark way.

Congratulations, NBC, you bought the same show, TWICE!

• Love 12

I rather wonder, though, didn't they show her having extreme sensitivity to pain when they did something as simple as taking her fingerprints?  How did she take being bashed about by two guys then? 

Her pain came from all her tattoos still being fresh. I'm assuming her pain threshold is normal. During the fight she was going off of adrenaline, so she wouldn't feel pain then. 

• Love 2

I thought it was kinda boring. The male lead was annoyingly generic and had no screan presence at all. I did like Jane Doe and the female cast though.

To be fair though I didn't really find this show interesting to begin with. Only ended up watching it last minute. Not sure I will be back.

• Love 3

Interesting reactions...I totally bought the male lead and didn't find him stiff at all. Like AT ALL. I was watching the whole time thinking how much better he was than Diego Klattenhoff on "Blacklist" or Adam Rayner on "Tyrant," the two young(er) male leads on other shows I watch. And I thought the chemistry between Jane and Weller was crackling.

It's derivative of about 10 different things...from Prison Break to the Long Kiss Goodnight, but I loved the premise and the execution and the casting. 

Loved it. Definitely in. 

• Love 1

Sars, are you recapping this? Your threshold for pain is higher than Mystery Tattoo Lady!

I can't take this premise: That each tat is clue to a crime. Presumably a high level, deeply organized crime that said criminals devoted a lot of time and resources too, but got bored, so they thought the funnest way to spice things up is to tattoo a bunch of secret clues on a highly trained but not missed covert op, destroy her narrative but not procedural memory, put her in Times Square in a duffel, then sit back and wait to pull off their nefarious deeds until after she and her FBI hookup who dumped his entire career for this solve them one by one.

I watched The Following for three seasons and this is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

• Love 6

Jaimie is 128 lbs., 5' 9", 35B.

So... my guess of 130 (vs. 105--which seemed like a really suspect suggestion for her weight, to be honest) was pretty close.  Yay me!

I won't act like 128 is not still pretty slim for someone 5 foot 9, but it's certainly not a waif body type. That's an athletic build. While it might be ridiculous her beating up multiple 200 lb men all at once, it's not out of the question for her at that weight and height (taller than many men--if not quite Amazonian), with decent muscles, to be able to smash a few male faces in, one at a time.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

Unless I missed something, on the Navy Seal thing, I'm guessing Jaimie Alexander's character has that tattoo because of some reason related to a dead or presumed dead boyfriend/husband or family member was a Navy Seal and that backstory is part of her reasoning for whatever she's doing.

• Love 1

Loved Jamie Alexander, loved Rob Brown, hope the Weller character gets more interesting...but not through man pain. I'm interested to see where it goes.

edited because dudes name is Weller not Warner...

Edited by miracole

It's make up, JA was at the Emmy's talking about how she still had some make up on her skin from shooting on Friday. 

I read somewhere she said it takes 7 hours to do the full body. I'd bet though that depending on the shooting schedule, there are days when they just do partials.

I was watching the whole time thinking how much better he was than Diego Klattenhoff on "Blacklist" or Adam Rayner on "Tyrant," the two young(er) male leads on other shows I watch.

I mean, if you put the bar that low...XD.

I need to keep my shows straight.

"The Blacklist" is the one with the good movie actor playing a mysterious guy with lots of information about future crimes in his head.  He's paired with a terrible actress playing an FBI agent.

"Blindspot" is the one with the good movie actress playing a mysterious woman with lots of information about future crimes tattooed all over her body.  She's paired with a terrible actor playing an FBI agent.

Both shows are filmed in a gray, washed-out, depressingly dark way.

Sounds about right, I immediately thought of that when I first saw the trailer.

• Love 1

Another thing; I was annoyed that they kinda pushed the romance/attraction angle so early. I expect that down the line, but it was out of place in the context of everything else in the pilot. (However, I don't think I want to see them together, anyway; I can see it being an annoying subplot of this action/mystery show.)

I'm never seen Stapleton in anything, but I hope he can get past the hiding-the-accent hurdles, and inject some personality into Weller.

About the shaky-cam -- I hate that too, but it's possible it will only be in the pilot. The next few episodes is what is going to make or break the show, for me.

The tattoos: there's more info about them in the Media thread.

But, but, one has nudity! Edgy!  :-P

• Love 4

I liked it, I'll watch for a while. Didn't mind the Kurt guy but thought the Doctor was better. One thing I didn't get, I don't know if I missed it or if it was glossed over but, the tattoo they focused on last night was time sensitive right? There was a bomb and it was going to go off etc.? What if they had focused on a different tattoo first? I don't get how you are supposed to know which tattoo is important for this week and not next week, or last week for that matter.

And yes, they should have multiple teams from multiple agencies working on ALL the tattoos at the same time.

• Love 4

I have to say, I already like this more than The Blacklist. I just cannot understand the national obsession and success of that show. I tried for about half a season, and maybe it got better, but for me every character was flat (I just cant with the Spader Schick) and the story was just case of the week stuff I have seen on a million other shows. I`ll take the main guy (who was a not exactly mr. personality, but not terrible), the supporting cast (who already show some promise) and Jaimie Alexander being a vulnerable badass with a cool haircut over Blacklist any day. 

• Love 4

I was trying to figure out what this reminded me of and finally came up with "Dominion" which is a SYFY series where the hero has tattoos appear that are trying to tell him something.   I don't know why that popped into my mind. Random brain.

Me too.  It popped into my head this morning too.  I'm behind in my watching of the series, but don't his tattoos disappear after he figures out what they mean?  I don't remember.  Unlike hers, I do know his tattoos move which is kind of cool.

Can't remember which talk show I saw Jaimie on and she talks about several tattoo artists working on her at the same time with only her "lady parts" covered up.  She said she got personal really fast when they started painting her entire body.  As this is network tv, I would think they will reach their quota of nudity sooner rather than later and she'll be on screen with more rather than less clothing on coming up.  Of course given how much of Sully we've seen on Strike Back, this is very tame.

I laughed when I noticed she was in a bra that fit her just after they find her.  Does the FBI keep a closet of various sizes to clothe naked people?  She seems to have acquired a few clothes that actually fit in a very short time frame. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I already like this more than The Blacklist. I just cannot understand the national obsession and success of that show. I tried for about half a season, and maybe it got better, but for me every character was flat (I just cant with the Spader Schick) and the story was just case of the week stuff I have seen on a million other shows. I`ll take the main guy (who was a not exactly mr. personality, but not terrible), the supporting cast (who already show some promise) and Jaimie Alexander being a vulnerable badass with a cool haircut over Blacklist any day.

Different stokes I guess. I always did like Blacklist and yes it did get better...and dare I say almost good in the second season. I rather enjoyed it. Can't with Blindspot. Just can't.

I'm still amazed that this show is the first to stumble onto the premise that centers around a naked hot chick.

Another thing; I was annoyed that they kinda pushed the romance/attraction angle so early. I expect that down the line, but it was out of place in the context of everything else in the pilot. (However, I don't think I want to see them together, anyway; I can see it being an annoying subplot of this action/mystery show.)

Seriously, this should be stamped into the Hollywood bible: Thou Shalt Not Cram Sexual Tension into an Already Full Pilot. I can count one one hand the number of shows that actually did this well. Even worse is that the pilot failed utterly to establish the characters, and while one lead being an amnesiac cipher is by design the other one being an ordinarily bland cipher is not.

Plus, by rights Jane should be so traumatized that sex or romance would be the last thing on her mind.

• Love 6

I read someplace I forget, but while the full-body tattoos on Alexander body are not real, they are professionally painted to her entire body. As well, in the Time Square scene she was actually naked and her shivering were real as the shooting took in the wee early hours in the morning, around 03:00 if I am not mistaken.

• Love 1

I would have put his acting down to "Foreign actor struggles with American accent and forgets how to emote" syndrome, but I don't know. I did think he sucked the life out of the show.

I really liked the show but, agree, the Kurt character is the low point for me, and that is disappointing. I could clearly tell he does not speak with an American accent naturally. Between that and his tendency to  be a low talker / mumbler, I had a very hard time even understanding him.  He needs to loosen up... A LOT. I assume they are eventually going to have him and Jane Doe hook up. They need more chemistry if I am going to care.

I thought Mysterious Handler was interesting in the little bit we saw of him.  He had much more of a screen presence for me than the Kurt character, or really anyone else except for Jane Doe.

I will always see Ashley Johnson as the little girl on Growing Pains.  She still looks nearly exactly the same in the face. 

This show will be one I stick with for sure.

So, sorry to ask a likely obvious-to-everyone-but-me question but, just so I get it, Jane Doe is really Bethany Mayfair? Or is Bethany Mayfair the next case?   

ETA: I totally get a Prison Break vibe from this and I know it's just the tattoos. Especially the way the opening sequences kind of swooshes through the tattoo maze in the same way the Prison Break one did. The similarities end there but I loved Prison Break and thought the full body tattoo clues were cool. So far, I feel the same here.

Edited by cam3150
  • Love 1

So... my guess of 130 (vs. 105--which seemed like a really suspect suggestion for her weight, to be honest) was pretty close.  Yay me!

I won't act like 128 is not still pretty slim for someone 5 foot 9, but it's certainly not a waif body type. That's an athletic build. While it might be ridiculous her beating up multiple 200 lb men all at once, it's not out of the question for her at that weight and height (taller than many men--if not quite Amazonian), with decent muscles, to be able to smash a few male faces in, one at a time.

While the Navy SEAL, as only SEALs can fight without shooting themselves elites prejudice of show runners, part always grates my nerves. I didn't see her beat up 200 lb men or get one punch knock outs that other TV warrior women pull off all the time. But she held her own, with improvised weapons against a couple who were closer in size to Jackie Chan than to Sammo Hung

• Love 2

Yeah, that was my first thought when he "comforted" her after kicking ass when the guy was abusing his woman.

Eh...I don't know...it's kinda predictable and stupid. And red beard trainer dude following her around to make sure all the crap on the tats actually happens was the icing on a very predictable cake. No WAY can they stretch this out for more than 13 episodes without a lot of eyerolling from the viewers. Just...too predictable. And I cannot BELIEVE that they make that poor girl sit through hours and hours of makeup every time they shoot when it would've been simpler to just put her in a body suit. Come on, who's bright idea was THAT?

I don't know...It's kinda predictable and stupid. You know the FBI guy and Jane are gonna "do it" and then find out she's his (fill in the blank) and everybody's horrified/stupified/angry as hell. I could write that script myself it's so predictable.

Not looking good for a series thus far...good premise, way too much hype, followed by a so-so pilot doesn't bode well for a season 2.

I'll give it one (or two if I can stand it) more episode(s).

• Love 2

I mean, if you put the bar that low...XD.

Well, yeah, it is probably damning with faint praise...

Another thing; I was annoyed that they kinda pushed the romance/attraction angle so early.

And not just because I prefer a slow burn and for things to sort of develop organically, but because it seemed so out of character for this ass-kickin' Navy SEAL to dissolve into the big, strong, manly  FBI guy's arms and for the FBI guy not to get totally weirded out by the strange but hot tattooed ass-kickin' Navy SEAL dissolving in his arms.  But I did like it, and they're both easy on the eye, and had nice chemistry and if the FBI maybe wants to take his shirt off that'd be OK with me. 

Didn't quite ring try that she would have a Navy SEAL tattoo. Yeah, it made it easier for them to start to ID her, but black operatives aren't allowed to have tattoos for this very reason.

Edited by bourbon
  • Love 1

So, sorry to ask a likely obvious-to-everyone-but-me question but, just so I get it, Jane Doe is really Bethany Mayfair? Or is Bethany Mayfair the next case?

Mayfair is Weller's(Stapleton) boss; she was reading the file at the end.

And I cannot BELIEVE that they make that poor girl sit through hours and hours of makeup every time they shoot when it would've been simpler to just put her in a body suit. Come on, who's bright idea was THAT?

True; all those hours of make-up must be a pain, but they don't do the whole thing every time they shoot. I think makeup is better than a bodysuit for consistency and close-ups. It might make sense to use a body suit for stunt doubles, though.

Edited by Trini

I thought it was mostly a body suit (like a tattoo sleeve but full body, and the neck and hands area, makeup. Only because it would take FOREVER to apply full body makeup. Also, the opening shot of her in Times Square, when those bright lights hit her from behind, you could see on her arms/shoulders, what looked like sheer pantyhose material.

I can see someone being more childlike/uncertain/insecure, then flipping to kicking ass. She is completely insecure, not sure how to act. Many people who come across as "tough", at times it's deliberate act, or they know they have to present a certain persona. If you don't KNOW you are supposed to appear tough, maybe you won't. But muscle/training memory is there, which is why she was able to defend herself.

Overall, I liked it. It engaged me, entertained me and I wasn't watching the clock, so I'm in for now. Also liked the hints at her past (though her long haired wig was bad).

• Love 1

Agreed that they were pushing the sexual tension way too much for the pilot. So much eye-frakking every time they touched that I thought one of them was actually about to say out loud "ARE YOU THE ONE? MY SOULMATE, I'VE FOUND YOU AT LAST!" Plus, how quick she was to cuddle up to the guy who really hadn't even been anything but perfunctory/formal towards her (while also at the same time kind of manhandling her physically to move her from here to there) the whole episode. Meh. Network TV seldom does a well-paced romance though, so that's not too surprising.

He does look like a poor man's Liev Schreiber though.

• Love 3

I would think that the makeup dept would create a bunch of "stick on" type tattoos (or something similar), that they could just put on her. I'm not sure that a body suit wouldn't show up on screen (especially in HD), & actually painting individual tattoos would just take too long. They could create fairly large tattoos, like one for all the tatts on her back, & apply it fairly quickly.

Edited by GaT