Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E12: Top 14 Perform + Elimination

• Start Topic

I agree about the Megz and Derek piece. Having FF'd through the intro package (heh-heh, he said package) I only based my assessment on what I saw on stage. Derek jumped on stage and was all "I'm a gonna dance Hip-Hop" and Megz was all "As if, Fool" but Derek was all "Can't hear you, Hip-Hopping." It was turning a bug into a feature and accommodating Derek's unfamiliarity with the style. Within that context it was a smart way to go.

The fish dance could have worked if they could have gotten more into a Cabaret or Chicago frame of mind instead of thinking What am I doing here, I'm supposed to be a fish, a sexy fish, WTF.

After having a breakthrough last week, Edson is back letting his inner cheerleader come out. It was fun but I agree with Nigel and Jason that it should have had a more smooth flair.

• Love 4

Pretty sure that Yorellis and Neptune would have been saved if the twitter votes were allowed to save 2 street dancers - the only reason that Derek was saved that I can see is that both of those stage girls needed to be gone.

Hee! While I tend to agree with the sentiment of the bolded part Derek mentioned, in his post-show DancePlug interview, that he knew all week that he was in the bottom (because he didn't dance the previous week) so he used that time to get his supporters hyped to save him. That, and the fact that he is from Ricky Ubeda's dance school (last year's winner), explains him winning the twitter vote for me. I'm not even sure Yorelis or Neptune would have gotten more votes than him. He was going through.

Has anyone heard how eliminations will be handled Top 10 to Top 4 (or 6)? Will they go to bottom 4 (2 each team) and have the twitter vote choose who stays? Will they keep the bottom 6 (3 each team) and continue having twitter save one and the Judges save another? I expect the final 4 will be up to America's vote as it has been historically, but this twitter save thing is new as is dropping the phone vote and making it all about hits for the Fox site, so who knows?

After enjoying last week's episode, this week's episode was quite disappointing.

Opening number - I liked the sideways group move with the fans moving and thought Yorelis and Gaby stood out. For some reason I thought it was amusing when the girls were dancing together in the middle, and all the guys were busy shoving furniture aside in the background. Not my favorite of the opening routines this season, but had some fun elements.

Jim and Yorelis - This was a good performance. Jim's technique is incredible. Liked how the choreography had this motif of the dancers' bodies holding still and then melting, and also several times where Yorelis had to do these deliberately rubbery moves.

Edson and Jaja - I thought this was fun - a little forgettable, though I think it's growing on me the more I rewatch it. I thought Edson held his own, personality and dance-wise, which also speaks to the chemistry he had with Jaja who can be counted on for stage presence. I liked the waacking that was incorporated into the dance.

Hailee and Virgil - I did like the move at the end where Hailee looped her feet behind Virgil's legs and he dragged her while she curled up reaching for him. This rather blah contemporary was definitely saved by having two strong performers. Hailee really commits to her characters in her dances and I really appreciate that about her. Virgil, too, though I thought Hailee stood out more in this dance. Also, I think Hailee is genuinely adorable in her pre-package segments.

Ariana and Alexia - The first time I watched it, I was like WTF. I really hate the song. There also seemed to be a lack of chemistry between Alexia and Ariana. Rewatching it, I do like some of the elements and the beginning started off fine, but the bobble where Alexia was going over Ariana's back was definitely awkward.

In the Afterbuzz ep, Paul Kamiryan (S10) said he would give the dancers the benefit of the doubt as far as what the package suggested and what actually happened during the week leading up to the performance. His gist was: the rehearsal footage that shows them - esp. Alexia - having a hard time with the concept, is from Day 1 rehearsal and doesn't mean that this was the attitude the dancers still had going into the dance. I think they both seem like hard-working dancers who were maybe floundering (heh) a bit with this particular dance, but I hesitate to say it's for lack of trying. As we saw with last week's asylum hip-hop, Alexia has no problem throwing herself into weird characters. And Ariana was nice and beasty in the African jazz a couple of weeks ago.

Megz and Derek - Didn't like it. Thought it was interesting that Derek got a Dave Scott piece, since on last week's Afterbuzz episode, Dave Scott implied that he thought Derek should not have let his injury stop him from dancing last week.

Gaby and Neptune - I liked the personal intensity that the dancers brought to this piece. And there's this small gesture that Neptune did near the end where Gaby is on the floor and he places his left hand in front of her face and then brings it around behind her - and it seemed to me a lovely blessing sort of gesture. I agree that the pre-package had an air of self-importance, and that Gaby's black and white dress was too on-the-nose, but I thought the piece showed off both dancers' talents.

Kate and JJ - First time JJ has stood out to me. Not a memorable routine, but she was doing her best to sell it.

Stage group routine - Gaby was really showcased well here. And Robert. He looked really nice.

Stage Street routine - Liked the demented circus concept. The part where Virgil wraps his body around the Neptune/Megz bridge while Ariana slid underneath was a great trick. While watching, I recalled that SYTYCD used Dragula last season - Zack and Jacque had to do a paso doble to it.

Eliminations: The Afterbuzz panelists and guests (S10's Makenzie and Paul) were definitely lamenting the loss of Yorelis, though they liked Neptune as well. That's how I felt - I wanted to keep both Yorelis and Neptune. I would have traded JJ for Yorelis. I liked Ariana, but the writing has been on the wall for a while with her, and I'm not sure who I would trade for her since I already exchanged JJ for Yorelis in my imagination.

Alexia was one of my favorites, and I'm sorry to see her go, though sure that she'll be used as an alternate on the tour. It was Kate's time to go. As a youtuber commented, Kate usually seemed fine in the group routines, but she didn't really stand out in her pair/trio routines, except for that one she did with Neptune. I don't get Derek's appeal personally, but apparently he has a large fanbase.

Top 10 are roughly in three groups for me:

My current favorites:

Gaby

Hailee

Neptune

Like them quite a bit:

Jim

Jaja

Virgil

Megz

Wish other dancers were here instead of them (sorry):

Edson

JJ

Derek

ignore this quote box

I have been struggling lately to understand how to balance freedom of speech and political correctness, but have to admit I winced at the use of the term "Siamese twins."

Still cannot stomach Nigel, speaking of dead fish on a slab.

Paula, in the other hand?  Love her critiques.  I think this woman is intelligent and show business savvy, not sure where the loopiness fits in, but I find her to be cogent and helpful in her comments.

Jason DeRulo is growing on me, surprised at his command of dance technique.

I really enjoy the show more when the numbers are reduced, easier for me to differentiate the individual personalities.

Also wanted to comment on the sheer strength and agility required to do these dances.  Amazing fitness and control.

LOVE Sonya's craziness and inventiveness.  Have since Mark and Chelsea.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0MIwbyNA4M

Edited by observer
  • Love 2