Type keyword(s) to search

90210 Fashions: High Waist Heaven!

• Start Topic

I went to high school for a year in Agoura, CA, about 30 mi from Beverley Hills. This was 1982, smack dab in the middle of the Valley Girl era. We moved there from a small town in New Mexico. I felt like I had landed on a different planet. There were girls wearing 6 inch heels and gold pantsuits. But the rage at the time was gauchos and frilly tops, kinda like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/32/31/4c3231752e7b0f42b8e972e4e70af4eb.jpg

So I saw a lot of girls wearing things like the girls on 90210, and way weirder stuff. I have to say, I felt sorry for my youngest brother. He started middle school in CA with plaid pants a bowl cut. After the first day of school he was begging my mom for OP t-shirts and Vans, mainly so that he wouldn't get his ass kicked.

I wonder how I ever got laid in college... baby doll dresses, big clunky shoes?  Although most of the time, I had a "uniform" of jeans and a Haynes beefy T... again, not really sexy, but I guess at that age, who cares!

How did I not get written up by HR when I first started working... Ally McBeal skirts WITH a slit, huge block heeled shoes, those "fake" business suits that were sold in the junior section? 

• Love 4
On 9/29/2016 at 9:19 AM, CurlyATX said:

How did I not get written up by HR when I first started working... Ally McBeal skirts WITH a slit, huge block heeled shoes, those "fake" business suits that were sold in the junior section? 

Did you get your work suits at Express? I sure did (on sale). My off-hours look was still 90s rock club non-chic and I wore black acrylic nails and Mac Viva Glam for pretty much the rest of the 90s. That's still a great lipstick, so glad they brought it back . 

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 9:09 PM, bitchin camaro said:

Clinique Black Honey lipstick, anyone?

Ah. Good times!  Time to bring on the "floating" necklace with rhinestones on fishing wire.  Remember those?

• Love 3

Looking at the visual aids from the cult intro episode, I renew my happiness that the sacklike floral skirts and dresses never appealed to me in the 90s because they are hiddy. And WHY was everything BROWN, for all that's holy? I've never understood that and never will. The brown lipstick is back and as ugly as ever--I bumped into one of my grad students at the makeup counter in the bookstore and she asked my opinion of some terrible brown and I had to tell her I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Halo said:

And WHY was everything BROWN, for all that's holy? I've never understood that and never will. The brown lipstick is back and as ugly as ever--I bumped into one of my grad students at the makeup counter in the bookstore and she asked my opinion of some terrible brown and I had to tell her I hated it in the 90s and I hate it now. 

My best guess is that a lot 90s stuff was 70s revival a la "Dazed and Confused", so perhaps the 70s brown was reconfigured as makeup and clothing trends instead of cars, furniture, and major appliances? 

I distinctly remember everyone having a champagne-colored car (usually a Toyota Camry) in the 90s.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I distinctly remember everyone having a champagne-colored car (usually a Toyota Camry) in the 90s.

My first car that I bought was a Camry and I remember asking for the champagne colored one since I figured it wasn't a fancy color and may be cheaper.  This was in 2000.  The salesman told me that the color was for "old people" and steered me towards this fancy 'silver'.  I guess I was stuck in the 90s for sure!

I have stayed far away from the brown lippies.  I couldn't rock them when I was 20, sure can't rock them now.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CurlyATX said:

My first car that I bought was a Camry and I remember asking for the champagne colored one since I figured it wasn't a fancy color and may be cheaper.  This was in 2000.  The salesman told me that the color was for "old people" and steered me towards this fancy 'silver'.  I guess I was stuck in the 90s for sure!

Heh. Yup, I was class of '95 and friends' parents all had the champagne Camry as the family car before SUVs and crossovers became a thing. My good friend got a silver Altima in the early 2000s, and then I saw tons of those around, but it could have been confirmation bias.

Edited by MCMLXXVII

Raisin lipstick was popular then. Makeup was very different back then. The only people who contoured or baked or used highlight was the drag community. Primers and setting sprays weren't popular and beauty blenders weren't around. They didn't have all the advantages we do now...I'd be lost without my gurus and Sephora. Even the pigments seemed less finely milled. We had to walk 20 miles in the snow uphill each way every morning  to put on our face and we liked it... 

• Love 6

Back then, you actually got beauty advice from magazine (featuring super models, not actresses) or from the beauty counter.  Youtube has finally taught me how to put on makeup. 

Raisin lipstick! I lived in that stuff, since I'm dark skinned it was finally a shade that worked for me. 

I saw in this week's visual aids that Val has a slip dress on.  I remember those so well. 

• Love 4

I didn't know anyone who went commando and braless in them!  I think I wore mine with those horrific baby t-shirts or a flannel.  I'm so glad my friends and I were too busy having fun to take pictures- I'm cringing just thinking of it.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Oh yes - slip dresses. So many slip dresses, usually worn with Docs. And the more they looked like underwear the better - satin was especially popular. 

17 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I didn't know anyone who went commando and braless in them!  I think I wore mine with those horrific baby t-shirts or a flannel.  I'm so glad my friends and I were too busy having fun to take pictures- I'm cringing just thinking of it.

Braless slip dresses were common where I lived, but the dress paired with baby tees were, too. I mean, it's not super warm in Seattle, so you'd have to wear a jacket/cardigan/flannel outside with those get-ups, regardless. I have to say, those bias-cut satin dresses were oddly flattering, although skimpy. Most of us wore at least a thong/g-string with the dresses, and some wore boy shorts under there (I think I usually had on tights). It was a strange time for clothing. Our jeans were big, but our dresses and tops were tiny. Remember the "shirts" that were basically a piece of fabric that barely covered your boobs, with some strings attached to tie around the back? Often paired with a maxi skirt?

It only got worse in the late 90s and early aughts. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Halo said:

Braless slip dresses were common where I lived, but the dress paired with baby tees were, too. I mean, it's not super warm in Seattle, so you'd have to wear a jacket/cardigan/flannel outside with those get-ups, regardless. I have to say, those bias-cut satin dresses were oddly flattering, although skimpy. Most of us wore at least a thong/g-string with the dresses, and some wore boy shorts under there (I think I usually had on tights). It was a strange time for clothing. Our jeans were big, but our dresses and tops were tiny. Remember the "shirts" that were basically a piece of fabric that barely covered your boobs, with some strings attached to tie around the back? Often paired with a maxi skirt?

It only got worse in the late 90s and early aughts. 

I layered two long vintage nightgowns, and wore an also vintage sheer blouse over it to Houseparties (college spring formal) in '96.

I think designers thought 90s boobs were either heroin-chic small, or Pam Anderson fake and would stay up on their own. My top heavy friend was always annoyed that she couldn't wear the string/ handkerchief crop tops.

Speaking of which, do any of the girls get a navel piercing? That was a huge trend at the time. I was the only one in my friend group that didn't have a navel, nose, or eyebrow ring. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I think designers thought 90s boobs were either heroin-chic small, or Pam Anderson fake and would stay up on their own. My top heavy friend was always annoyed that she couldn't wear the string/ handkerchief crop tops.

Speaking of which, do any of the girls get a navel piercing? That was a huge trend at the time. I was the only one in my friend group that didn't have a navel, nose, or eyebrow ring. 

oh dear!  Guilty of the navel piercing.  Not sure why I thought it was a good idea as I NEVER had a flat stomach, EVER. I had friends who pretty much had everything pierced.

Count me in as one of the top-heavy girls who just couldn't pull off spaghetti strapped ANYTHING without a bra.  I did well with the baby doll tops and Docs.  Or (my Halloween costume), shorts/tights/clunky shoes, flannel. 

I also was around the first time colored hair was popular. I did have the blonde streak in my jet-black hair. 

• Love 2

Navel, eyebrow, and tongue piercing here. The navel never healed right, probably because my damn pants came up too high, so I ended up taking it out after the third infection. Not sure how long I had the eyebrow, but I was lucky that it healed without a scar. The tongue lasted several years until I felt like very trashy woman on Jerry Springer had them and I removed it. My tongue still has the hole! 

I don't think the Bev 9ers had navel piercings, but if Val was a real person, I bet she would have. 

• Love 1

I had a navel and a labret and both came out when I was pregnant (the labret because the piercing started to taste really bad - thanks hormones). 

If they were real person, I feel like just based on her outfits Donna whould have had a navel piercing, and worn really elaborate jewellery in it. Val would be more of a lower-back tattoo gal (not a judgement as I have one of those too...) - maybe with a tongue piercing too. David would almost certainly have pierced his nipples at some point. 

We did slip dresses with little t-shirts, or just over bras, and in the later 90s one of my friends was a dancer and she taught us this thing where you cut the feet and the crotch off fishnet tights and wear them over your chest/arms, so we did that a bit too.

And I also had a top that was basically a shrunken apron with straps that tied at the neck and across the back. Loved that thing. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MissEwa said:

We did slip dresses with little t-shirts, or just over bras, and in the later 90s one of my friends was a dancer and she taught us this thing where you cut the feet and the crotch off fishnet tights and wear them over your chest/arms, so we did that a bit too.

I was a dancer, and used to do that, too (regular tights under leos in dance classes, fishnets as "fashion"). Only I did it more in the 80s and never in the late 90s. Fishnet tights as top worn under a scissor-cropped Smiths tshirt, with a lycra mini? Yeah, I was that guy. 

• Love 2

In the 90s I was a twentysomething mom!  I wore big huge bows in my hair with bangs, and floral-print Rampage rompers (think the Tori parody on SNL).

I never gave up my Docs, and I'm so glad flannel shirts, slip dresses, chokers & baby doll dresses are back in style.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2016 at 1:30 AM, Petunia13 said:

Raisin lipstick was popular then.

Omg, Rum Raisin and Coffee Bean and my go-to Bronzed Glow.

What killed me though is when more than 3 female characters were onscreen at the same time e.g., Kelly, Brinda and Jackie, and it was clear they all sat in the same MUA's chair because their lipstick was exactly the same. They mixed it up a bit with Brenda's flawless winged eyeliner and Donna's metallic lips. Sometimes they did a more mauve lip on Andrea. Andrea, who wore white lace to Jackie and Mel's wedding.

• Love 4