Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Stand (Up) and Deliver

• Start Topic

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!  <-- all the overly laughy extras in the coffee house scene

Double your pleasure? As in with your brother? What the hell, writers? I don't know why they keep putting these awful references in.THEY'RE SIBLINGS!

Also, do they writers think that none of us went to high school? We all remember how important these elections were, which is to say not at all. BH must be a very special place, indeed, that student council members are held in such high regard. Stupid.

• Love 1

When I was 12 and watching this episode for the first time I was 100% convinced that "performance-oriented coffeehouses" (or POCs as all the really trendoid people would call them) were TOTALLY happening and that I'd be spending all of my free time in one when I was 16.

It makes me cringe thinking of my young, earnest self imagining her future glory.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

If your name is Sky and you're hosting at a performance-oriented coffeehouse...you are already taking yourself too seriously. Every scene at that place was cringe worthy.

I injured myself from all the eye-rolling I did with this episode. As noted above, was any student council election ever that critical? Ever that exciting? I mean, seriously.

I thought Brenda was kind of cute in that Twin Peaks ensemble. Better than the fabulous unisex green shirt and mile-high rise jeans anyway. I am sad to note that I also had a shorts suit that I wore with white hose. What were we all thinking??

I know Doherty's peculiar genius is making a fake pregnancy admission and a real one sound like the same non-thing, but not even her breathing can distract from this script. No, but srsly, does Doherty ever inhale?

And the Walshes were super sad to leave home as it meant taking Brandon out of the running FOR STUDENT COUNCIL?

That's good.

• LOL 1

Tara mentioning that Sky was played by Carol Burnett's daughter Carrie Hamilton got me interested so I googled her and it turns out she played Pam on the XF episode "Monday". I had no idea! Of course, that little piece of trivia becomes a little less fun when it's accompanied by the information about her dying so young, but hey, I learned something interesting. 

And the Walshes were super sad to leave home as it meant taking Brandon out of the running FOR STUDENT COUNCIL?

That's good.

Yes, this is maybe the least believable and most hilarious reason a pair of grownups would ever be ambivalent about moving their family. 

"Isn't going to flush" is clearly not an actual expression, but I'll admit my first reaction to it was that it's not a bad way to convey that something is a giant turd. 

Edited by smrou

Pretty much the one good thing about Dawson's Creek is that I don't think they ever did a student council storyline? (Okay, I guess Busy Philipps is a plus. And so is adult, self-deprecating, kind-of-a-DILF Van der Beek, but still.)

Pretty much the one good thing about Dawson's Creek is that I don't think they ever did a student council storyline? (Okay, I guess Busy Philipps is a plus. And so is adult, self-deprecating, kind-of-a-DILF Van der Beek, but still.)

I LOVE Michelle Williams.

And I think they might of had a student government storyline with that asshole Drew or annoying 35 yr old sophomore Andie McPhee.

Off topic, but I'm rewatching DC and yes, they did a student government episode with Andie/Joey vs. Abby/Max from Roswell.

On topic: credit cards must have been really easy to get in the early 90s if barely employed Skye could furnish a whole apartment with them. And how was she paying the gas/water/electricity before she met Brenda?

Is re-po something that even actually happens outside of TV? In my experience with defaulting on two credit cards after being a DISASTROUSLY irresponsible college student (yes, it took 8 years to fix my credit, oy), no one ever came looking for my hip Gap and Old Navy fashions or all the beers I bought. Or are we talking like financing through the furniture store?

This episode is soooo cringe-worthy, and I love it! I never realized how snide and snotty these kids were all the time when I was a pre-teen. I just thought they were so very cool. Also, was Luke Perry originally supposed to be recurring but then they realized they struck gold with him? Because I feel like he's barely in season one at all. He's had very minor roles in at least half of these episodes so far, right? Odd.

According to Wikipedia, Dylan was only in 16 episodes of season one, only two more than Dead Scott. I wouldn't have guessed that either. Tori was actually in more, and I literally don't think we've heard her speak yet on the podcast. Has she even had a D plot line?

• Love 1

I remember an episode of MTV's Real Life in which a girl furnished an entire apartment from Rent-a-Center and it was all repossessed when she missed too many payments.

And that "damned glad to meet you" line is from the movie Animal House.

• Love 1

According to Wikipedia, Dylan was only in 16 episodes of season one, only two more than Dead Scott. I wouldn't have guessed that either. Tori was actually in more, and I literally don't think we've heard her speak yet on the podcast. Has she even had a D plot line?

Her first storyline will be up on the podcast next week!

• Love 1

I don't remember this episode. Probably because nothing real notable stood out from it. I find the Twin Peaks references amusing because my friend who I watched 90210 with also watched Twin Peaks and got me into it even though we were 13 and TP wasn't exactly a show for our age. Even weirder is that she's currently married to David Lynch.

Aaron Spelling was coming out of his own pocket in the first season to pay for Luke Perry's salary because the network didn't want him. So, that's why Dylan is barely around. Having him on screen was not cheap for Spelling.

I can't remember now. I was watching a special on 90210 and that brought up why twin peaks was brought up. It was a in joke but I can't remember why.

Edited by Racj82

On topic: credit cards must have been really easy to get in the early 90s if barely employed Skye could furnish a whole apartment with them. And how was she paying the gas/water/electricity before she met Brenda?

When I started college back in the Dark Ages (mid 80's), credit card companies had tables set up all over campus, encouraging kids to fill out applications and get credit cards. I filled out every application that was waved in my face, got a bunch of credit cards, maxed them all out, decimated my credit, and spent the next 10 years trying to fix it. I had zero credit history at the time, and was completely clueless about how credit cards worked. I went to boarding school, and my understanding of finances went no further than calling my parents when I was out of money and asking for more.

• Love 1

I was so unreasonably excited to get to this episode! It is one of my favorite hate-watch episodes of any TV show ever made. So gloriously bad. I adore that none of the stand up is actually funny. It's not even bad TV standup either, it's just...people talking about stuff? I guess? Tara and Sara have it 100% correct. It's not that there's bad jokes, there are no jokes! Nothing even resembling a joke! Plus I love the self important student council story line. Great job guys!

But on to more serious stuff. Was this a failed back door pilot? The whole set up with the coffee house and Sky and the other guy is so oddly, completely realized. I know 90210 did a lot of one-off characters early on, but they spend a hell of a lot of time developing Sky's world. There's multiple sets and friends involved here. I always wondered if this was some early version of a Melrose Place type show that never got picked up. Anybody got any info one way or the other?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/10/2015 at 9:37 PM, sinnerforhire said:

As someone above said, credit cards were very easy to get in the late '80s/early '90s. There were booths on college campuses and I remember walking through a mall and someone tried to get me to sign up for one. (I was about 20 but looked much younger, maybe 14-15 and she still tried to push it onto me. I just told her I wasn't old enough.) Interest rates were much higher then--the typical interest rate was somewhere in the mid-high teens and some cards went as high as 25% APR) and the idea was to push this person to build up a balance and then just keep revolving that balance, cycle after cycle, and paying interest on it. They didn't want you to pay in full. When I started cleaning up my credit and paying in full, I was part of a trend and I remember reading an article about credit card companies issuing veiled warnings about their customers who did this, saying something like "we see you, we have plans for you"--because they would then lose all that interest.

On 5/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, Judi Sunshine said:

Oh god, credit cards. I graduated high school with The Gang in the Class of Nineteen Hundred and Ninety Ninety Three (TM Mrs. Teasley) and they were all over my campus that Fall, as well! 

Me too. And I remember some kind of sorority fundraiser deal where this company tried to sign us up with 10 different cards at once, promising we could cancel at any time. I forget what happened with that but I remember people used to carry cards for everything and girls had huge wallets to hold all of them. Before key tags.

• Love 1

I swear I've seen every episode at least 5 times (the early seasons, anyway) but I have absolutely NO recollection of this one.

Seriously, how many times did Brenda move out of her parents' house before graduating from high school?

• Love 2