Type keyword(s) to search

Motorsports

khyber
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, woodstock said:

Congratulations Bubba Wallace

Very happy for Bubba. He has been racing well the past few weeks.

I thought his win might silence some of the haters.  Nope.  hey made other excuses against him, or outright said this was only his first win, as the other one didn’t count since he won it in a rain shortened race (like he was the first that’s happened to).

No matter what, Bubba is going to have detractors and haters.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

No matter what, Bubba is going to have detractors and haters.

This is a sport where fans waved Confederate flags at the track until they were banned a couple of years ago. So. . . 

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

For the third playoff week, a non-playoff driver (and the 19th different driver of the season), won.

A lot of cars had problems, from multiple blown tires, to broken axles, to a couple steering line issues.

• Love 1

Congratulations to Max on his Driver’s Championship. He has been brilliant all year. It’s a shame Ferrari and Mercedes weren’t able to put up more of a fight. Last year’s battle between Lewis and Max spoiled us.

What a chaotic Japanese Grand Prix with the weather interruption but the incident with Pierre Gasly and the recovery vehicle is a hot topic. After the tragedy with Jules Bianchi it’s wild that something like that could have happened again. 

In an interview during the broadcast the Team Principal for Alpine, Otmar, said that after the debacle at Spa last year, the race should have started an hour earlier. I agree and I wonder why the schedule wasn’t adjusted. NASCAR changes start times due to weather conditions.

There was also discussion around having a grid start or rolling start in the conditions at the beginning of the race. Ultimately, the important thing is the race was run and no one was hurt.

In other F1 news it looks like Daniel won’t be around next year. Losing Seb and Daniel…ouch!

The results of the FIA’s cost cap investigation are supposed to be released tomorrow. Stay tuned…

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, woodstock said:

He has been brilliant all year. It’s a shame Ferrari and Mercedes weren’t able to put up more of a fight. Last year’s battle between Lewis and Max spoiled us.

How many points did Ferrari cost themselves this season because of equipment DNFs, bad pit stops and bad strategy?

10 minutes ago, woodstock said:

Losing Seb and Daniel…ouch!

I hope Seb maintains some kind of relationship with F1/FIA. He is a great advocate for the future of sport. Diversity, sustainability, driver safety. . . 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, xaxat said:

How many points did Ferrari cost themselves this season because of equipment DNFs, bad pit stops and bad strategy?

I know right??!! Just mind boggling. 

I’m curious to see what changes if any are made at Ferrari after this year. They really shot themselves in the foot multiple times. 

Totally agree about Seb sticking around. He’s good for the sport.

That was a crazy move by Chastain, never seen anything like it actually work!

We were sitting in Turn 1, and I was shooting Christopher Bell coming across to take the checkers, so I didn't see all of Chastain's wall slide, but I did catch him as he came down the front stretch, smoke and debris coming off the car to the line...

JM_2022_10_30_Martinsville_Cup_Race_013-

JM_2022_10_30_Martinsville_Cup_Race_014-

His team owner Justin Marks tweeted this yesterday:

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I heard that Trackhouse had Chastain's car on display for visitors to see, and since I live approximately 8 minutes from their shop, I took a ride over this afternoon. One of the shop guys was hanging out with us for a bit and said there is all sorts of bent and broken stuff in the right front suspension.

JM_2022_11_02_Trackhouse_Chastain_001-XL

JM_2022_11_02_Trackhouse_Chastain_002-XL

JM_2022_11_02_Trackhouse_Chastain_008-XL

JM_2022_11_02_Trackhouse_Chastain_004-XL

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

Thrilled to see Joey win the championship again! We're big fans of his and all the Penske guys. Terrible news about Coy Gibbs, thoughts are with the Gibbs family.

We've been watching the 'Race for the Championship', and really enjoy it. It's been well done, has some interesting insights into what they go through, both at the track and at home. And as Charlotte residents, it's fun to spot familiar sights. We've seen the first 7 episodes, just got through the Daytona playoff cut-off episode - if you remember Ryan Blaney dropping off his dogs at a boarding place before flying to the race, Jake, our Aussie, has stayed there too!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

We've been watching the 'Race for the Championship', and really enjoy it. It's been well done, has some interesting insights into what they go through, both at the track and at home. And as Charlotte residents, it's fun to spot familiar sights. We've seen the first 7 episodes, just got through the Daytona playoff cut-off episode - if you remember Ryan Blaney dropping off his dogs at a boarding place before flying to the race, Jake, our Aussie, has stayed there too!

That is cool! I too live in Charlotte and I love seeing our city and the metro area getting some attention. I have also enjoyed seeing what life is like behind the scenes for the drivers, their families, the pit crew, and spotters. I hope there is another season. 

• Love 2

Entertaining and intriguing weekend in Brazil.

Huge congratulations to Kevin Magnussen and the Haas team for their first ever pole position in the Sprint race. They were rockstars for one day!

Second huge congratulations to George Russell for winning the Sprint race and the Grand Prix. His maiden win in F1. It was a good weekend for Mercedes with a front row lockout (courtesy of Carlos Sainz’s penalty) and then a 1-2 podium finish in the Grand Prix. For all the issues they have had with their cars George, Lewis Hamilton and the team have kept persevering. 

Big stories of course were the Hamilton/Verstappen collision and then Max ignoring team orders to help Checo

I don’t think this will blow over. Next season could be spicy in the Red Bull garage. 

One more race left!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, woodstock said:

Entertaining and intriguing weekend in Brazil.

It really was. It's great when the circuit is conducive to overtaking. And who thought tire strategy could be so exciting.

16 hours ago, woodstock said:

Max ignoring team orders to help Checo

I actually started not hating on Max this season. (Hamilton fan.) And then he does this.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I actually started not hating on Max this season. (Hamilton fan.) And then he does this.

Right?! I am very much a Hamilton/Mercedes fan but up until now I have been somewhat neutral on Max. As nerve-racking, exciting, and ultimately heartbreaking 2021 was I appreciated the battle he and Lewis had last season. Generally speaking, as a race fan I enjoy watching tough, clean, exciting races and admire the hard work the drivers, engineers, mechanics, etc. put into this sport.

Christian Horner and RedBull are insisting that the team has talked and Max will be a team player, everyone is on the same page, blah blah blah but I seriously doubt that. There's only Abu Dhabi left so we will see if that is true for 2023. Checo must realize now that if wants a shot at a driver's championship he will have to look out for himself.

I am not ready to say goodbye to Seb and Daniel.

The weird thing is that there were no negative implications for Verstappen if he followed team orders. He is already the champion, Red Bull has the Constructor's Title and neither driver was in a position to win the race in Brazil.

And yet he decided to screw over his teammate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I was an unreserved Max fan until that stunt yesterday. There's rumours it's over Checo crashing "purposely" in Monaco to secure the pole spot.

Dude, I thought I held a grudge.

I have read that Monaco had something to do with Max’s stunt yesterday. If that’s true…yeah way to hold a grudge, Max. 

Forgot to mention there were some great recovery drives by Leclerc and Alonso. Speaking of Alonso, think he’s glad he’s leaving Alpine? Lol…Otmar’s comments over the weekend and then the team radio messages during the race revealed a lot about the atmosphere at Alpine regarding the racing and relationship between Alonso and Ocon.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Team Principal musical chairs

The Vasseur rumors started after Binotto left Ferrari so not surprised. 

Did not hear anything regarding changes at McLaren or Williams so those moves were surprising. Good luck to Seidl at Sauber.

Saw a chart showing that among team principals Christian Horner has been with his team the longest (including non team principal years).

• Love 1

The Clash race has too many cars on the track, they can't make it a lap with no caution. Or with someone not wrecking another.

I thought it was the dirt last year, this no difference it's the track size. 

They didn't do the Clash on dirt last year, they did it on pavement at the LA Coliseum just like tonight. Last year, they had 23 cars in the final, this year they had 27. Last year they only had 5 cautions in the entire event, I think it was the full Moon...

Real question - do people actually enjoy that LA Coliseum racing?  While I admittedly am not a huge fan of the short tracks, this seemingly micro track with odd pit locations, etc. is pretty much unwatchable.  In fact, I watched maybe 25% of the first race, and none of the 2nd.

I assume that Nascar is trying different things in an effort to stop the hemorrhage of fans, but I'm not sure ^that is the answer.  

Apologize if this has been discussed already. 

Also curious as to what you all think of T Stewart in the booth?

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

I didn’t notice if they explained staged racing at Daytona, but I know I don’t like artificial cautions.  Just race!

Is there a lady driver in this field?  At the beginning the emcee guy said “gentlemen…” (while Jimmie’s daughter was RIGHT THERE) but when they gave the signal they said “drivers, start your engines”.

How come Bobby Allison and Bill Elliott and Dale Jarrett and Jeff Gordon look old but Richard Petty looks the same as he ever has?

Congratulations to former Cleveland Cavalier Brad Daugherty on his team's winning the Daytona 500!

And enough of the condescending "this little one car team" that the Fox announcers wouldn't shut up abt.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

I didn’t notice if they explained staged racing at Daytona, but I know I don’t like artificial cautions.  Just race!

Is there a lady driver in this field?  At the beginning the emcee guy said “gentlemen…” (while Jimmie’s daughter was RIGHT THERE) but when they gave the signal they said “drivers, start your engines”.

How come Bobby Allison and Bill Elliott and Dale Jarrett and Jeff Gordon look old but Richard Petty looks the same as he ever has?

Probably not, because they've been doing it for a few years now. 

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

Congratulations to former Cleveland Cavalier Brad Daugherty on his team's winning the Daytona 500!

And enough of the condescending "this little one car team" that the Fox announcers wouldn't shut up abt.

That was cool, but what's even cooler, it gives Danica Patrick something to talk about in the booth next weekend. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:29 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Real question - do people actually enjoy that LA Coliseum racing?  While I admittedly am not a huge fan of the short tracks, this seemingly micro track with odd pit locations, etc. is pretty much unwatchable.  In fact, I watched maybe 25% of the first race, and none of the 2nd.

I assume that Nascar is trying different things in an effort to stop the hemorrhage of fans, but I'm not sure ^that is the answer.  

Apologize if this has been discussed already. 

Also curious as to what you all think of T Stewart in the booth?

I like Tony Stewart much more in the booth than as a driver. I wouldn't mind if he replaced Clint Bowyer full time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I like Tony Stewart much more in the booth than as a driver. I wouldn't mind if he replaced Clint Bowyer full time.

Thanks for answering. I don't care for him much in either vocation, lol.  I'll take CB before Jeff Burton. Lawd that man is twangy. When he and Junior get going, it's like whoa!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Thanks for answering. I don't care for him much in either vocation, lol.  I'll take CB before Jeff Burton. Lawd that man is twangy. When he and Junior get going, it's like whoa!

I couldn't stand Darrell Waltrip If Fox has him broadcast a race I'll listen on Sirius XM.

• Like 1

I’m way too excited to see F1 cars on track for testing! I need help🤣

Regarding NASCAR and the Daytona 500 there seemed to be a lot of TV commercials. At one point there was a crash during a split screen between the race and commercials and they continued playing the commercial. I get that there is money involved but there should be an exception when something happens on track. That’s one thing I like about F1 broadcasts - no commercials!

From Jayski:

Chase Elliott to miss Las Vegas race

Chase Elliott, driver of the No. 9 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 for Hendrick Motorsports, will not compete in this weekend’s NASCAR Cup Series event at Las Vegas Motor Speedway due to a leg injury.

Elliott, the 2020 Cup Series champion, suffered the injury to his left leg today while snowboarding in Colorado. He is scheduled to undergo surgery this evening.

Josh Berry, 32, will fill in for Elliott in Sunday’s event at Las Vegas. Driving for Hendrick Motorsports affiliate JR Motorsports, he is a five-time race winner in the NASCAR Xfinity Series. The Hendersonville, Tennessee, native has made two previous starts at the Cup level.

“Chase’s health is our primary concern,” said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. “He’s spoken with several members of our team and is understandably disappointed to miss time in the car. Of course, he has our full support, and we’ll provide any resources he needs. We hope to share another update later this weekend.”

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

One wonders with all of December and January off, why would he snowboard during the season.

I agree with you I saw on Twitter that he needs surgery so he'll miss more time.

Max P15 to P2 is well, just what we expected from Max. Only Alonso has gone P15 to winning.

Also, geez FIA - Alonso is third, then he's not, no wait, yes he is. Poor George is gonna have to pull down his post about taking the place. 😄

Anyone else picturing Ricciardo sitting around, counting his millions they paid out for his contract, laughing hysterically watching McLaren absolutely implode?

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Also, geez FIA - Alonso is third, then he's not, no wait, yes he is. Poor George is gonna have to pull down his post about taking the place. 😄

That was a mess! To let Alonso participate in the podium ceremony; then take  away the third place trophy; give George the trophy then take that away...makes the FIA look like it's being run by clowns.

Danny Ric is definitely laughing😆

It's weird how there are gaps in the F1 schedule so early in the season🤔

These overtime rules aren't working.  Another hour got added to today's race due to 1) too many blown tires due to a longer course, which tells me that the crew & driver are not experienced enough on road courses to figure out when to swap tires; and 2) too many inexperienced road course drivers.

We were so damn frustrated watching that race, I can't imagine how pissed off Tyler Reddick was.  Not to mention if he had lost the race aft having such a big lead.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, roamyn said:

These overtime rules aren't working.  Another hour got added to today's race due to 1) too many blown tires due to a longer course, which tells me that the crew & driver are not experienced enough on road courses to figure out when to swap tires; and 2) too many inexperienced road course drivers.

We were so damn frustrated watching that race, I can't imagine how pissed off Tyler Reddick was.  Not to mention if he had lost the race aft having such a big lead.

I was so glad that nobody ran of gas during overtime. I think if Chase Elliott had been racing they would have called the race. I was glad Tyler won.

A mess in the pit lane

Media members in the pit lane when Ocon was pitting. Thankfully no one was hit. 
Pretty uneventful GP. Happy for Checo and Charles. The most exciting thing to happen over the weekend was the Max and George ‘chat’ after the Sprint race. Next up Miami!

Rain postponed the NASCAR race at Dover to tomorrow at 12:00 noon.

18 hours ago, woodstock said:

A mess in the pit lane

Media members in the pit lane when Ocon was pitting. Thankfully no one was hit. 
Pretty uneventful GP. Happy for Checo and Charles. The most exciting thing to happen over the weekend was the Max and George ‘chat’ after the Sprint race. Next up Miami!

Rain postponed the NASCAR race at Dover to tomorrow at 12:00 noon.

Or, Buxton trying to insert Taylor Swift lyrics into his interview with Alonso. Now that has to be the craziest rumour I've never heard. 😆

• LOL 1