Type keyword(s) to search

Motorsports

khyber
  • Start Topic

And Mike Shank is one of the good guys in motorsports too, so I was really happy for him too. It was just a few seasons ago he moved into Indycar with one part-time entry, and now he has an Indy 500 win. Really great!

• Love 1

That Indycar race at Road America was a barn burner. Didn't understand why NBCSN couldn't stay there for the interviews but had to switch to Nascar when that race wasn't going to start for over 40 minutes.

(edited)

Of course the day I decide to attend church in person there’s drama at the British Grand Prix between Lewis and Max.

Edited by woodstock
Edited because Lewis wasn’t racing against himself.
4 hours ago, woodstock said:

Of course the day I decide to attend church in person there’s drama at the British Grand Prix between Lewis and Hamilton!

An existential crisis of self? 😉 I know you meant Max and Lewis.

I'm no Lewis fan, and I definitely hold him quite responsible for that crash, but he's apparently receiving a load of racially-motivated hate online. Seriously, people?

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

An existential crisis of self? 😉 I know you meant Max and Lewis.

Ha!😉

I get people blaming Lewis for the crash but there’s never any excuse for the racist BS. Did people not learn after last week’s Euro 2020 championship?

That was a great battle between Lewis and Max which is what I think Formula 1 wants to see. Just without any crashes of course.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, woodstock said:

I get people blaming Lewis for the crash but there’s never any excuse for the racist BS. Did people not learn after last week’s Euro 2020 championship?

No. Racists be racists.

• Love 3

The racism is a terrible look for F1, a sport with only one black driver. Especially when Christian Horner and Helmut Marko are so... lacking in urgency to disassociate themselves from it.

I'm glad the likes of McLaren and their drivers, Danny Ricciardo and Lando Norris, were so vehement in their statements. Especially Norris, due to his use of Twitch, a platform that seems to attract edgy teens who start off thinking that making racist comments is funny, but open themselves up to genuine radicalisation.

To go back to the incident itself, I do think Hamilton handled the aftermath of the race appallingly, essentially saying that Verstappen had no respect and that "this sort of thing will happen again" if he doesn't learn it. This was after he celebrated like he was the second coming, and crowed about "overcoming the odds" when all he actually had to overcome was a ten second penalty after removing his rival from the race.

He was also overheard advising Lando Norris on homeopathic medicine and "avoiding chemicals in your body" and is friends with Tom Cruise, so I'm never going to call myself a fan of him.

• Love 3

LEGENDARY MOTORSPORTS BROADCASTER JENKINS DIES AT 73

Veteran radio and television broadcaster Bob Jenkins, a former “Voice of the 500” inducted into the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame in 2019, died Aug. 9 at age 73 after a valiant fight with cancer. 

The voice of the Liberty, Indiana, native was heard globally over five decades on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network, serving several positions, including chief announcer from 1990 through 1998. Jenkins was one of only four people to serve as television play-by-play announcer in ABC’s 54-year history of broadcasting the Indianapolis 500. 

With an easygoing, friendly style that mirrored his personality, the beloved and respected Jenkins anchored NTT INDYCAR SERIES races on television and was a frequent contributor to the public address system at IMS. Jenkins also was a frequent master of ceremonies at “500”-related functions, including the Indianapolis 500 Victory Celebration. 

In one form or another, Jenkins was connected to IMS for more than 40 years, and his most familiar call was the thrilling finish of the 1992 race between Al Unser Jr. and Scott Goodyear.

I was always a fan of his work - whether it was from Indy, "Thursday Night Thunder", ESPN's SpeedWeek, or the glory days of NASCAR coverage with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarrett - he was a true professional, and his love of the sport always came across. His call of the last laps of the 1992 Indy 500, which brought the closest finish in the race's history, is legendary.

RIP, Bob.

Edited by Moose135

Just a guess, but I don't think Spa will be featured in Drive to Survive next year.

It was kind of soothing though, listening to the Sky commentators philosophize over what, exactly, defines a "race".

• LOL 4

I'm so glad I didn't get up early and watch that live. I think I actually watched about half of it, - well, had it on in the background while I was on the computer - and couldn't believe what was going on. That was a joke. Two laps behind the pace safety car isn't a race, no matter what the FIA says. I would be embarrassed to stand on that podium, accept the trophy, or admit I won that "race".

Yeah Spa was a mess

I agree with Zak Brown. The 2 lap rule should be reviewed and they need to look into contingencies if there are issues with the weather. 

NASCAR has contingencies if races are impacted by weather; it’s interesting that F1 (to my knowledge at least) has never really considered this.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I hope the fans get a refund.

I doubt it. That whole fiasco was to make it an "official" race for contract purposes. If they cancelled it, it would have cost them big money for sponsors, promoters, and such. Refunds to the fans would be made by the track/promoters, not the FIA, and I doubt the FIA will be returning any of the sanction fee they got from the track to refund fans.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Great race for Daniel Ricciardo today. He led from the first corner and, once Lewis and Max crashed out, his victory wasn't really in doubt. After a poor start, he's really got to grips with that McLaren in the last few weeks, and we're seeing just how good he is.

The triple shoey on the podium was... nasty. Poor Lando looked like he was going to throw up.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

When did THAT become a tradition? Yuck! 🤮

It's apparently an Australian thing, and something Daniel has always done after victories. Zak Brown and Lando both promised to do one with him when he got his first podium with the team.

• Love 3

And now Danny has "apologized" to Valtteri that he left him out. 😄

If I'm having a bad day, from now on, I'll just think "at least I'm not Lewis Hamilton's head..." 

Depending on which side of the fence your fandom lies, you either think Max is a complete a-hole for not checking on Lewis, or realize that Lewis was actively trying to back his car out while Max was still getting out of his car. 

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Love 3

Heartbreak for Lando - but to be fair, he made the wrong call asking to stay out on the slicks. That rain came quick and hard in the last 3-4 laps. Unbelievable finish from Max - last to second! If Ricciardo's pit stop had been quicker, likely we would have seen him shoey'ing it up on the podium again in 3rd.

Ricciardo is really getting up to speed in that McLaren, now - Qualified 4th in Belgium, only for the race to be called off, won in Italy and had a very likely podium finish in Russia if not for that pitstop disaster (we'll ignore the Dutch Grand Prix, where McLaren were just bad).

Lando definitely made a mistake, getting so fixated on the win. He should have pitted as soon as Hamilton did, although it might have seen him drop to second if McLaren messed up another stop.

After how dominant Mercedes were expected to be here, and all the setbacks Red Bull had, seeing Max take second place was incredibly impressive.

• Love 1

I don't know why, but after this race, I got the feeling Lewis was resigned to the fact that Max was going to win the title.

Mexico was the definition of why F1 can be so boring. Once Max took the lead that race was over. Even tire/pit strategy wasn't going to change the outcome.

Happy that Checo made the podium in Mexico.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I don't know why, but after this race, I got the feeling Lewis was resigned to the fact that Max was going to win the title.

Mexico was the definition of why F1 can be so boring. Once Max took the lead that race was over. Even tire/pit strategy wasn't going to change the outcome.

Happy that Checo made the podium in Mexico.

I only caught the highlights. Too wrapped up watching my Broncos throttle the Cowboys!

Unless a miracle happens I think Max will win the championship this year. The Constructors title however is still pretty much up for grabs.

I was happy for Checo. His son is adorable.

In other motorsports news, Kyle Larson won the NASCAR championship.

DTS doesn't even need to manufacture drama for the next season (although they will). Of course, YMMV on the Max-Lewis passing/brake check issue, depending on who you're rooting for. Abu Dhabi is going to be crazy (and probably very aggressive - the other 18 are probably like "it's cool, we'll just hang back...")

• LOL 1

I started following f1 properly in 97, but lost interest in the last 8 or so years because it was so boring - Hamilton is just a boring world champ. I like my f1 drivers to have abit of craic about them and Verstappen has abit of the Schumacher attitude about him (and I despised Schumi back in those days!) and that draws me in because all of the greats have that about them - so captivating! Little bit of being arrogant a-holes!(hello Niki Lauda and James Hunt!)

Race control did the right thing for the racing spectacle and what an end to a great year!

*Also lol at toto wolf throughout that race and aftermath - you don't call the sc shots, pal!

• Love 3
On 12/12/2021 at 9:38 AM, xaxat said:

Most of the commentators seem to feel that race control got it right. But speaking as a Hamilton fan, that sucked. 

They basically changed their rules re: the safety cars and engineered VER's win so no, race control didn't get it right. It was rather blatant cheating. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, kathyk24 said:

ESPN will air a documentary on Bubba Wallace on Tuesday at 7:30. The documentary will be on E:60.

I think the Bubba documentary will air at 9:00 so check your cable guide.

5 hours ago, woodstock said:

Russian Grand Prix canceled

Speculation is the race will move to Istanbul.

It sounds like the drivers really forced their hand. Vettel said he wouldn't go. Verstappen and Alonso also came out against it. 

Also,, Hass has removed mentions of their Russian sponsor Uralkali from cars, haulers, stationery etc. I don't think Nikita Mazepin should lose his seat at Haas because he is Russian, but he has that seat because his father is a wealthy Russian oligarch with ties to Putin. And Nikita's not a good enough driver to stick around without bringing in that money.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Nikita’s statement is lacking to say the least. No mention of the war in Ukraine or support for the Ukrainian people. No condemnation of Russia’s actions. His family is supposedly known for being Putin supporters so I am not surprised. Although to be fair he may have had no say or was told what to say. 

It will be interesting to see what DTS does with the episode that looks to focus on him and the Haas team.

• Love 1