Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Girl Meets Yearbook

This episode was better than usual. I actually rather enjoyed it. I like that we may finally be taking a look at the fact that Lucas and Riley have no chemistry. I don't know if it's the writing or the actors, but Maya and Lucas just seem to click more naturally. I was fairly amused that everyone in the class could see it too. If this is setting up Lucas and Maya for sometime in the future, I think this is a good way to do it that wouldn't hurt Riley. If Riley were to realize on her own (or with a little help) what Maya has then I think it'd be perfectly fine for Maya and Lucas to go out. But, that could be the Lucaya shipper in me trying to rationalize.

I also really liked that Farkle didn't change back in the end. For one thing I have only liked Farkle in doses because of his personality. Maybe now I'll be able to really like the character. For another thing, I like that we're acknowledging that it's okay to change. When Lucas 'defined' Farkle, I couldn't help but think that Farkle means what Farkle wants it to. Lucas is right that you shouldn't change because of others, but Farkle has every right to figure himself out. It's not really all that common or normal for people to just know who they are at like 14. I'm glad we're exploring that. 

Minor gripes. I did not like the little side thing with Topanga and Katy, but since I'm so against Katy/Shawn I know that's just the bias talking. But their convo did raise a few questions about Katy/Shawn. Katy said she can't act as people she has strong feelings for. And then she couldn't do Shawn. But, does that mean she and Shawn have already had their first date and are firmly a couple? And if not, then where did all these strong feelings come from? She essentially just met Shawn. 

Also the whole yearbook thing was annoying because it was out of place. They got the yearbooks, but we're only halfway through the season. Yearbooks are an end of the year thing. How on earth would they get enough stuff to put in the yearbook only like a month or two in? 

Overall, it was good though.

• Love 4

Okay that was a fun episode. For really the first time I enjoyed all four kids in the same episode.

I liked that Riley and Maya's change was only temporary while Farkle's remains. He is right people continually grow and change. I hope this continues for him because it allows the character to hopefully not be pidgeoned holed.

Really liked Katy's Riley impersonation and Topanga's expression in the background. Also loved how Topanga just seemed to roll with this whole identity issue. She grew up with Shawn and Cory so this is par for the course.

Liked Lucas' continual meltdown during the episode.

Not sure what they are doing with the whole Riley/Maya/Lucas dynamic. I hope the storyline is going with all of them as just friends.

The moments with Riley/Maya and Lucas/Farkle were really good. The show really has these friendships down.

• Love 3

I liked most of the episode even though I'm not usually fond of the writers' hands being quite so visible.

Acknowledge Maya and Lucas's chemistry: check

Acknowledge Riley and Lucas's lack of chemistry: check

Establish a reason (sibling-vibe) for Riley/Lucas just being friends: check

Get Farkle out of the turtlenecks to he can be a hottie for the Tweens: check

Remind viewers that Katie has a thing for Shawn: check

I'm not saying that some or all of those things didn't need to happen or that I have a problem with them. Just that the script felt like it was working systematically through somebody's notes.

I liked Lucas in this ep a lot. And Farkle. Not so much Riley. I'm sure she was told to play it that way, but her "identity crisis" seemed far more like playing dress-up/make-believe than Farkle's did. I would have been more interested in seeing her deal with a genuine bout of cynicism/sadness.

I liked Farkle's identity crisis, for the most part (except for the "I'm Donnie Whatshisname" bits). It felt somewhat real. And I'm glad they're allowing him to grow and change.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 1

I 110% hated Farkle when I first started watching GMW. I thought he was too loud, too annoying, and a tiny bit creepy with his obsession w/ Maya & Riley. Who would've thought that just one season later the writers would tone him down and make me actually enjoy his scenes with another character (in this case: Lucas). I very much enjoyed the conversation with Lucas and Farkle at the end of the episode and am glad that Farkle didn't revert back to his old turtlenecks and over the top personality.

Smiley Riley was cute at the beginning of the episode and even her trying to resist falling for the cuteness of the puppy & bunny combo made me chuckle. I don't see the writers backing away from the Lucas/Riley pairing and moving onto Lucas/Maya until atleast Season 3, which is fine with me. I personally wouldn't see a Lucas/Riley relationship making it to high school, and I'm interested to see how the writers approach it all in the next few episodes. I did notice the way Lucas and Maya just kind of gel well in this episode and the only thing that was slightly disappointing (even though I know it was said jokingly) was that the class wanted Maya to stay as Riley.

Overall, good episode!

I'm just gonna paraphrase a line from BMW: Farkle, you have a dark side!! It speaks to me......

Seriously, I like him better now, and yeah Disney's definitely did this to make Corey more appealing to the tweens (he has to happy to be rid of the Beiber hairstyle), hopefully they'll give him a decent Disney channel movie that shows his range as an actor. What am I saying he'll probably be one of the stars of Descendants 2 or Teen Beach 3.

The only thing I wish we could've seen tonight was Minkus seeing the new Farkle. The freakout would've been awesome!!

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 3

I really liked this ep! It was fun seeing the kids grow and change. And I think the writers might be paying some attention... hence the Topanga bringing something up about Katy and Shawn and the Riley and Lucas scene.

I really don't see this so called Lucas-Maya chemistry. Because she consistently insults and belittles him and he takes (minus one incident where she was called short and then spent the rest of the episode crying about it)?

That doesn't equal chemistry...that means she's a disrespectful bully who shouldn't be featured so much as though she's something special or great...or nice. 

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 3

I really don't see this so called Lucas-Maya chemistry. Because she consistently insults and belittles him and he takes (minus one incident where she was called short and then spent the rest of the episode crying about it)?

That doesn't equal chemistry...that means she's a disrespectful bully who shouldn't be featured so much as though she's something special or great...or nice. 

But Lucas lets her.If it bothered him he would tell her but he doesn't.She doesn't belittles or insults him at all from what i'm seeing.Their relationship is more of a teasing banter type.Maya is no bully.She can be a little disrespectful at times but she's no bully .Maya didn't like being called short cause she was insecure about her height.Everyone is  insecure about something that they don't like it being called out.

I don't get why people say Maya bullies Lucas.I just don't see it.Lucas doesn't seem to mind the names Maya calls. Most of them are more like nicknames.

Remember the episode Girl Meets Secret Of Life when Lucas said "I'm ranger rick." That's one of the names Maya calls  him .If he didn't like the names Maya called him why did he refer to himself as "Ranger Rick"

• Love 5

IMO, painting Maya as a big bad bully who is "special or great" (I don't actually recall anyone here describing her that way or on the show..if anything it's Riley who is seen as special) would be like me saying Farkle should be referenced as a creepy little perv who needed a restraining order to stay away from Maya and Riley since he clearly has no sense of respect for them or doesn't know what boundaries are. Farkle said some real creepy shit to Maya and Riley back in Season 1, but painting him as a creep who needs to be set straight by Riley's parents and Maya's mom would be me exaggerating.

Again, just (IMO) but Riley and Lucas together are bland as hell. They're like vanilla pudding or beige wallpaper. There's no spark, there's nothing that makes their "romantic" scenes together come alive, and it's all very tepid. Whether that's an effect of how they're written, or the fact that Rowan is younger than Peyton, or just something lacking...when Lucas has scenes with Maya, it's like Sabrina just brings something out of him to finally make him interesting. Maybe it's because Sabrina is closer in age to the actor that plays Lucas, IDK, but he's more interesting to me when he's paired with her. They have chemistry (which I know is subjective) and it shows. 

However, this is just a kid's show and I get the feeling the writers will push the "girl power" and "sisters before misters" motto to keep the Riley & Maya friendship above all. That's perfectly fine too. 

• Love 5

See wingster55 that's what I don't get about what the writers' were actually saying about them in this episode. Were they actually teasing them actually happening one day? Or were they kind of teasing the audience that actually likes them together? You had the students voting them favorite couple even though they have actually never been a real couple or had any kind of couple-ish type moments. Then when asked about their reasons for voting Maya and Lucas as favorite couple, it's because they are 'so different' and are 'like fire'. It seemed kind of like a dig on people rooting for them because the reason the kids give for liking them is superficial and says nothing about them actually being good together.

• Love 2

I knew it was a good episode when they did the Farkle Insta-Change.  When they dare to go absurd/break the rules of reality a bit, the show is better for it. Then they upped the ante with the Mr. Matthews/Farkle desk sign and "Donnie Barnes: Regular Guy" magically being on the third side.

Maya/Lucas has been inevitable, of course (and still is), but I like how they poked at it rather than went at it in a straight line.

The Topanga and Maya doubleteaming of "Dark Riley" was funny too.  Good teamwork by those two actresses. The intrinsic sarcasm of Danielle Fishel needs to come out and play occasionally.

I also loved that we finally got to see a great use of Katy. Her entire shtick this whole episode was gold.

Also: No Auggie!  Bingo!

• Love 2

Farkle looks like Josh in that outfit. That being said, the look works for him. I'm curious about whether it will stay. This could be his "Topanga cuts her hair" episode. 

Cory repeatedly saying "The jerks!" about the Vikings seemed very BMW Cory and I liked it. 

• Love 3
But Lucas lets her.If it bothered him he would tell her but he doesn't.She doesn't belittles or insults him at all from what i'm seeing.Their relationship is more of a teasing banter type.Maya is no bully.She can be a little disrespectful at times but she's no bully .Maya didn't like being called short cause she was insecure about her height.Everyone is  insecure about something that they don't like it being called out.

Like the story behind the items Lucas put in "Girl Meets Pluto"? He didn't want to share it necessarily but Maya made him because it was ammo. Their relationship isn't a teasing one because he doesn't tease back.

would be like me saying Farkle should be referenced as a creepy little perv who needed a restraining order to stay away from Maya and Riley since he clearly has no sense of respect for them or doesn't know what boundaries are. Farkle said some real creepy shit to Maya and Riley back in Season 1, but painting him as a creep who needs to be set straight by Riley's parents and Maya's mom would be me exaggerating.

Not really...that IS creepy and should be reprimanded.

Furthermore, I hate the notion that people who are similar or share interests don't make good couples or are boring or are like siblings. The hell?

Since when are similar interests/personalities a bad thing?

• Love 2

[quote name="wingster55" post="1397423" timestamp="1439046772" 

Furthermore, I hate the notion that people who are similar or share interests don't make good couples or are boring or are like siblings. The hell?

I totally agree with you. There doesn't always need to be tension, differences of opinion or opposites attract stuff for a couple to be interesting. What bs was that anyway about if you act like someone you might find out a secret about them they didn't know. Please, such crap.

• Love 1

I really liked the episode, this season keeps getting better and better.

I love how much Farkle and Lucas' relationship has grown from the beginning. It wasn't what I was expecting. They're really friends and Lucas really cares about Farkle. I was very surprised that Farkle didn't change back but it's nice to show that people change. Kids can change very quickly and drastically and I am very interested in seeing how his transformation will go.

I was very surprised by how Maya reacted to Riley changing. I never expected her to become her in order to get her back. I was dismayed however when the class told her they wouldn't miss Maya, that was mean.

As for the secret she found out, I'll take it with a grain of salt. I felt that may be more her perception of Riley and Lucas' relationship than actual 100 percent reality. Which is telling in and of itself.

As for Maya and Lucas being the better couple, sometimes I see it and sometimes I dont. Chemistry is subjective, others will see it and some won't. I don't think she bullies him anymore than she does anyone else and I think he knows that her teasing him is a part of their relationship. Ymmv. I do think it could happen way down the road if the show is on long enough but I can't see it happening while Riley is still in like with him.

If the original BMW allowed the original Minkus to grow and change like they did this Minkus maybe he could've stayed on the show longer and worked as a character. I'm so glad they're making Farkle less of a "cartoon character."

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 7

If Maya treats the rest of the class (other than Riley) the same way she treats Lucas, that might go a bit in explaining why everyone feels they would miss Riley more than they'd miss Maya. 

• Love 3

In a bizarre "life imitates TV" way, I just happened to be going through my own senior yearbook (Class of 1988, thank you very much) when this episode aired (snagging some pics to post on FB and embarrass some old friends).  I liked Riley and Farkle's transformation because I can (dimly) remember that feeling of trying to find oneself, re-inventing and trying to change one's personality.  I liked that Farkle didn't revert back.  Farkle looked GOOD in his skater-dude outfit, hanging out all casual in Riley's window seat.....I see a future heart throb there.  I observed how much the actor had grown in the first episode of season 2 and this new look suits him nicely.  I actually see Farkle/Riley as a good potential couple if the show runs long enough.  Oh, and I have to add, love the call back to "ring power" when Maya wanted Riley to open the window so she could come into the bedroom.  BFF's should have little "things" that are special between them and I would love to see "ring power" be one of those things that gets mentioned a couple of times every season.  Plus, bonus points for a good lesson for kids.....what matters is what you think of yourself, NOT what others think of you.

Oh, and I have to give some love to Lucas for his reactions in this episode.  His "No.  What the?  Nooo!" when Riley and Maya come into the classroom was great.  And his final scene with Farkle.... Well, it's great to know even a little weirdo like Farkle can have a best friend who loves and appreciates him for who he is.

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 4
What bs was that anyway about if you act like someone you might find out a secret about them they didn't know. Please, such crap.

Agreed.  My opinion on that was that it's more you find out something about the way you view that person's life that you maybe didn't realize.  In this case, I think what was revealing was more how many times Maya repeated "I like you so much!" to Lucas followed by her saying that he and Riley are like brother and sister.  

In this case, I think what was revealing was more how many times Maya repeated "I like you so much!" to Lucas followed by her saying that he and Riley are like brother and sister.

I thought perhaps what Maya was realizing was that she actually does like Lucas and has always backed off because he's Riley's property and that she wishes that Riley only liked Lucas as a brother.

I loved everything about the episode other than Katy. I still don't like the character trying to be a bad actress and I HATED that Topanga had to once again prop up Katy and Shawn. No, she doesn't have deep feelings for him. She doesn't even know him. The reason she can't "do" Shawn is because she barely knows him and you need more than a few hours cumulative time together to know someone enough to parody them. No matter how hard the show pushes, I will NEVER hop on the Shawn/Katy train.

But other than that, I LOVED this ep. I actually liked Katy and Topanga talking about the girls. That was a good use of Katy. I like Maya trying to fix things by turning into Riley who is usually the one who fixes things. And did I miss it or did we not hear what Maya is 'most likely to" be? I remember the other three but not her.

I had a hard time with Farkle's new look because in that outfit he looked exactly like my friends kid and it was so weird.

• Love 2

Also not a fan of the Shawn/Katy thing. I guess if they let it simmer for awhile before pushing it more it might be alright, but it just feels too...convenient I guess especially for Maya's character. Of course there is also the issue that there hasn't been much development of what exactly would make them work as a couple, other then they both like Maya 

Had heard about the not missing Maya thing before seeing the episode and was expected it to be...more direct a line then it was. It seemed like the idea might have been less they wouldn't miss Maya and more they needed a Riley, and if Riley wasn't going to fill that role, then they rather have someone filling that role. Of course, as pointed out (I missed it myself), we never heard what Maya was most likely to be/do. So combined with the line, maybe it does mean they don't really like Maya (which could run through Semi-Formal, with Maya finding out she isn't as popular as thought/would like). Think it's more what I said above though (obviously) with Maya's yearbook thing not being mentioned just due to inability to fit another plot/storyline in the episode. 

Glad Farkle didn't change back, other then personality (sort of) wise. Thought it had a bit of a clothes don't define you message and that you don't have to fit into a "character" just because you have nerdy interests or jock one or whatever. 

The brother thing when Maya was Riley I'm not a fan of, at least right now. Mostly as it makes about as much sense as them being a couple, where has it ever seemed like Lucas would be Riley (or Riley would see him as) brother? Maya at least you can go that way with her teasing of him, and his willingness to put up with it usually (Mr. Squirrel being the exception). 

The teasing could also mean more of crush (it's middle school, what I remember of middle school that makes sense. Maybe reversed but still), though already seen how Maya acts/deals with a crush and it isn't the same as she acts with Lucas. Granted, sitcom, so continuity and logic can fly out the window whenever they want usually, but from how she acted with Josh, would think she'd be more obsessive/clingy/immature (best word(s) could think of) then the way they are now. 

• Love 1

I love the little BMW callback and summary - "I was weird; he was celery."

Corey with the celery poster is the BMW equivalent to Corey in the Shovel sweatshirt (which I am making for myself. I love it! And, apparently, have some sort of arrested development)

• Love 3

I had a hard time with Farkle's new look because in that outfit he looked exactly like my friends kid and it was so weird.

I wonder if they de-nerdified Farkle to set him up to be Riley's love interest, thereby leaving Maya and Lucas to develop a relationship.

I liked Katy's impression of Riley, but hated the Shawn anvil. 

I also liked Riley's "Morticia Addams" look, and Topanga bringing on the snark, even when it's her own child, is gold.

• Love 5

I've always found the argument weird because I couldn't be more different from my brother if I tried.  And I know lots of people in a similar situation....it is such a faulty argument. 

• Love 1

When I think of someone who I couldn't date (when I was single) because it would be like dating my brother, I think of people like my brother's closest friends, who were around the house constantly when I was growing up, not people who I had too many things in common with.  

I hate that the message the younger generation gets from TV, movies, etc, is that, if it's love, there's a ton of drama, angst, fights, etc (or "fire," if you will), and that being in a relationship with the person who you have a lot in common with, who treats you well is "boring" or "settling."   That ends up with them staying way too long in relationships where the other person doesn't treat them particularly well, because all that "excitement" means it's love. 

• Love 4

I thought this was a cute episode.  I think the bad fish episode being sandwiched by two good season 2 eps really shows how this show has hit its stride nicely this season.

I loved morbid Riley as well as Maya's Riley impersonation (Sabrina Carpenter did a spot on job there!).  I appreciate what they're doing with Farkle.  Not only to make him a potential romantic interest down the line, but to let him grow from being annoying slapstick relief kid to actually having some character development.  Like someone said above, had BMW done that with Minkus, his character might have had long-term potential.  I found Season 1 Farkle really irritating, but I like that they've toned him down to a more reasonable level of quirky this season. it gives the character more options.   Plus someone at Disney might have realized that they have a real cutie on their hands when he's not wearing odd outfits and could definitely be on the cover of Tiger Beat or whatever kids read these days.  

I also liked  that they had a bit with Katy and Topanga.  I like them developing a relationship.  I didn't love the gratuitous usage of Shawn there, though.  Totally not necessary.  

• Love 1

I thought this was a cute episode.  I think the bad fish episode being sandwiched by two good season 2 eps really shows how this show has hit its stride nicely this season.

I loved morbid Riley as well as Maya's Riley impersonation (Sabrina Carpenter did a spot on job there!).  I appreciate what they're doing with Farkle.  Not only to make him a potential romantic interest down the line, but to let him grow from being annoying slapstick relief kid to actually having some character development.  Like someone said above, had BMW done that with Minkus, his character might have had long-term potential.  I found Season 1 Farkle really irritating, but I like that they've toned him down to a more reasonable level of quirky this season. it gives the character more options.   Plus someone at Disney might have realized that they have a real cutie on their hands when he's not wearing odd outfits and could definitely be on the cover of Tiger Beat or whatever kids read these days.  

I also liked  that they had a bit with Katy and Topanga.  I like them developing a relationship.  I didn't love the gratuitous usage of Shawn there, though.  Totally not necessary.  

I think... that Topanga was trying to show her that maybe Katy doesn't belong with him. That's the vibe I got off of it anyways.

I think... that Topanga was trying to show her that maybe Katy doesn't belong with him. That's the vibe I got off of it anyways.

Oh, I think it was the opposite. I think Topanga wanted Katie to realize she felt strong emotion for Shawn (and hence couldn't impersonate him well).

I was thinking about it and I could see Maya liking Lucas because Lucas is kind of the boy version of Riley and Maya loves Riley and if she isn't gay then I would think she would fall in love with the boy version of her soulmate.

As for he whole opposites attract thing, it depends on what is opposite about them. Riley and Maya are opposites and they are BFFs because Riley helps ground Maya while Maya brings a little rebellion into good girl Riley's life. Same could be said for Lucas and Maya.Though, if they really wanted to get into it, they could bring up Lucas' slightly badder boy past, maybe being around Maya will bring that out of him and  should be with Riley who keeps that at bay.

I just rewatched New World, when Riley and Lucas go on a "date" and I do think they work way better as best friends. IDK there is just something completely unromantic about them. I know they are young so I don't want them to be all sexually charged or anything, but I just think they are meant to be very good friends.

• Love 4

I'm probably the only person who is not into Maya and Lucas. Not because I don't think they have chemistry. I think they do because Sabrina seems to have chemistry with everyone. I just don't want Riley and Maya to break up. Also I think Maya deserve better than a block for wood. Also I prefer Maya with Rileys Uncle. Oop.

Other things I liked, I like that Farkle didn't go back to normal. I still think the actor is just not good in acting but maybe his character might work for him with the change.

What I don't like is Mama Maya and Topanga propping Mamma Mayba and Shawn. I just don't think anyone will have the chemistry on either shows the way Shawn and Angela had. Not even Cory and Topanga was as hot as Angela and Shawn.

I do r hate Mama Maya though. I just feel the show is forcing me to root for them because Maya wants them and since I'm Mayas bitch I'm screwed. lo l