Type keyword(s) to search

Jon's Final Show: Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Where does this go? Media? Or last episode chat? Colbert talking about his speech.

“I’d already written the Frodo/Sam thing that I did in the last show and one of the producers (Steve Bodow) said would you mind — we’d like to say thank you, would you come up with something?” recounts Colbert. “And I said sure, but you know he’s going to flop around like a fish on a dock. He’s not going to allow me to do that. I felt like a rodeo clown, trying to keep him on that stage. I thought he was honestly gonna leave.”

“When all the rest of the correspondents came out at the end, you can’t hear it on the recording, unfortunately, but we’re all chanting, ‘Made him cry! Made him cry!’ I think that my be my favorite thing I ever did on ‘The Daily Show,’ because it’s true — he never let you thank you,” says Colbert.

• Love 5

The quote is from the yahoo link above, but this was the one problem I had with the final episode:  I was travelling Thursday night and DVR'd the episode.  The DVR recorded the stated 51 minutes of the program.  Unfortunately, at the 51 minute mark, it cut off everything that went beyond that - so I missed the remainder of Jon's final statement and ALL of the E-Street sessions.

Fortunately, dear hubby is a fan of @Midnight, which followed immediately and we got to see the rest of the program, pretty much from where the DVR cut off to the end.

I watch both shows and figured it would go long so I set my @Midnight recording to run to 12:32, which is when I usually set the recording to end (Comedy Central never ends its shows on time so I always add 2 minutes). Unfortunately, with an extra 11 minutes added, I still missed the final round of @Midnight. Ah well, that's not as bad as missing Jon's final words as TDS host.

Monday night. 11pm. No new Daily Show. This does not feel OK yet. :(

Ain't that the truth. I felt lost at 11 pm, like there was something I was supposed to be doing and it made me realize all over again how much I am going to miss TDS, for awhile anyway. :(

• Love 2

Monday night. 11pm. No new Daily Show. This does not feel OK yet. :(

Especially after watching Larry devote the entire show to the Thursday GOP debates on TNS. You just know Jon would have sunk his teeth into that whole laughable spectacle.

I miss Jon already. :....(

• Love 3

Am I the only one who was excited when Jon said they were going to cover the debate as usual, and then disappointed when that turned out to be BS?  I don't understand why they picked this date for his last show--they should have waited until the next day, so they could cover the debate on his penultimate appearance.  (On HBO, Bill Maher planned way in advance to come back from his summer break the day after the debate.)

I read that this was the highest rated episode of TDS ever, beating the Obama interviews.  But this record-breaker, it turns out, got all of 3.5 million viewers. That is fewer than watched the most recent episode of Running Wild with Bear Gryllis.  It's roughly half as many viewers as a repeat of NCIS: New Orleans got last night.  A repeat!  Of a show whose last three episode threads got a total of 25 comments on this site.  It is so bizarre, because everyone in my Facebook and Twitter feeds talks about TDS constantly.

Furthermore, The Daily Show has long been touted as "where Millennials get their news", yet (after doing a little quick research) it turns out that fewer than a million of the 80 million in that generation watch the show, and at least twice as many watch the stodgy old network news shows.  It's clear that Stewart has been a very influential figure among journalists, but among the general public hardly anyone watched him over the years.

Which makes me wonder: what does the name "Jon Stewart" mean to the 98 percent of Americans who didn't watch him? "That guy people in the media are always going on about, but who doesn't really interest me"? Or are they just not aware of him at all?

The episodes are uploaded onto the net by around 3AM EST after airing, put on Hulu, clips are put on Youtube, and the show is aired twice the next day. Most of my friends and myself haven't watched "live" tv in years. Hell, we don't even watch "DVR tv". We don't pay for cable and we live too close to an airport for antenna to work (is that normal? Not being able to get broadcast TV? It's annoying.) TDS is perfect for computer viewing, especially since so many interviews go long and are thrown to the web anyways. I'm under the impression that many TDS viewers swing more computer than TV. And judging by how many people were asking for live streams of the broadcast on Reddit, yeah...

I don't understand why they picked this date for his last show--they should have waited until the next day, so they could cover the debate on his penultimate appearance.

Because TDS doesn't air on Friday? Because Jon seems so tired of the BS that is the Republican candidates that he was probably relieved he didn't have to go near it? I mean Trump is hilarious for comedy, but it's horrific that he's leading in the polls both pre and post debate. Swinging a racket against the wind is only exciting for so long. Seems like he wanted to go out on his wife's birthday and they both got a fantastic party with Springsteen and fireworks and everything out of it.

• Love 7

Swinging a racket against the wind is only exciting for so long.

Nice way of putting it, I could see Jon swinging his racket and sighing heavily.  When he talked of the Charleston Shooting and said the line that and they still won't do jackshit.  He seemed so WTF weary of it all.  I'm anxious to see what he will do next, I feel we won't seem him again until September, maybe he'll appear on Stephen's show and go the Emmys, but what after that?  So used to seeing him on TV/online, I feel antsy waiting for him to what, write a movie, do stand-up, etc.  Can't he create his own Netflix style show?  I just miss him so much and it's been a week.  I rewatched the final episode last night and finally had a good cry over it.  

Will he ever host the Oscars again?  It is an election year.  

• Love 1

Am I the only one who was excited when Jon said they were going to cover the debate as usual, and then disappointed when that turned out to be BS?  I don't understand why they picked this date for his last show--they should have waited until the next day, so they could cover the debate on his penultimate appearance.  (On HBO, Bill Maher planned way in advance to come back from his summer break the day after the debate.)

I thought the whole joke was that, as TDS tapes in late afternoon, the debate hadn't actually happened.  Which is why, for 16 years, they've covered every major evening event (debates, SotUs) a day late.

• Love 3

I thought the whole joke was that, as TDS tapes in late afternoon, the debate hadn't actually happened.  Which is why, for 16 years, they've covered every major evening event (debates, SotUs) a day late.

Except that the last show was live. At least, that's what was on my screen during the program.  I think it was the West Coasters, that got the recorded version?

Except that the last show was live. At least, that's what was on my screen during the program.  I think it was the West Coasters, that got the recorded version?

It wasn't live. The taping was pushed back by half an hour (~7 instead of 6:30) but it wasn't live. By the time it was airing, I think their goodbye party on the Intrepid was wrapping up.

• Love 1

It wasn't live. The taping was pushed back by half an hour (~7 instead of 6:30) but it wasn't live. By the time it was airing, I think their goodbye party on the Intrepid was wrapping up.

Oh okay. Thanks solotrek. I assumed it was live because I'd never seen that before on my screen.

The episodes are uploaded onto the net by around 3AM EST after airing, put on Hulu, clips are put on Youtube, and the show is aired twice the next day. Most of my friends and myself haven't watched "live" tv in years. Hell, we don't even watch "DVR tv". We don't pay for cable and we live too close to an airport for antenna to work (is that normal? Not being able to get broadcast TV? It's annoying.) TDS is perfect for computer viewing, especially since so many interviews go long and are thrown to the web anyways. I'm under the impression that many TDS viewers swing more computer than TV. And judging by how many people were asking for live streams of the broadcast on Reddit, yeah...

Because TDS doesn't air on Friday? Because Jon seems so tired of the BS that is the Republican candidates that he was probably relieved he didn't have to go near it? I mean Trump is hilarious for comedy, but it's horrific that he's leading in the polls both pre and post debate. Swinging a racket against the wind is only exciting for so long. Seems like he wanted to go out on his wife's birthday and they both got a fantastic party with Springsteen and fireworks and everything out of it.

Yeah, that did look like a cool party.

But as for the online viewership, I'm sure it's higher than with most shows but if it was millions and millions of people I would think they would publicize that somehow.

I posted about this on Facebook today and I got a response from a college girlfriend (an English major and feminist who went on to become a lawyer and now a judge) who said she was relieved to see the information I posted, because listening to the hullabaloo on NPR, she got the impression that it was really strange that she had never watched the show.

That's just an anecdote, which as they say is not the singular of data, but combining that with the numbers, I do think that along with the older people and the non-educated people and different ethnic groups that wouldn't relate as much with the humor, there are also people like her who just never tuned in and are maybe only now having it hit their radar screen and are just to sheepish to say anything without the sort of cover I provided in this case. Because I told her that even after doing that research, it was still hard for me to grasp that she had never seen the show. She is still the only person I know personally under the age of 50 who has definitively stated they never watched it.

Edited by SlackerInc

But as for the online viewership, I'm sure it's higher than with most shows but if it was millions and millions of people I would think they would publicize that somehow.

I didn't necessarily say it was legal ;-) Probably not in the millions regardless. But more international than people think. My cousins in China for instance. It's a show that was on for 17 years, people watched and people stopped watching. So the number of people who have watched the show in general is probably higher than the ratings show. Plus people share certain clips of the show on facebook and twitter and those goes viral, but those people aren't necessarily TDS fans. Add to that, places like Mediaite and Huffpo love using clips of the show on their sites. And the readership of those blogs get their viewing from the version of the clips on those sites. Mediaite gets their clip up a few minutes after it airs. And then that gets shared on twitter facebook etc...

I mean I have friends who have heard of it but never watched it. One gave the reason that serious matters should not be trivialized and joked about and finds the whole idea offensive. Some people just aren't interested in politics or world events. Some people just don't watch TV in general. My in-laws don't own a TV, never heard of Jon Stewart. But never heard of Bear Grylls either. My parents watch Chinese TV at home. So on so forth.

I really liked the final show - especially the first 30 minutes with the correspondents. 

I always watched TDS more than TCR.  But Stephen is such a rock star.  You have no idea what will come out of his mouth.

I was impressed that Senator Lindsey Graham did appear on the show.  I think pretty much everyone else had been on the show, and I didn't think Graham had ever done the show.  But I could be wrong.

On a different note I rewatched Jon's finale with the family including the family dog.  The dog really looked scared when Darth started talking.  The dog looked around at everyone like - "I really would like to sound the alarm, on the other hand maybe I should hide instead."  The family convinced him that everything was fine nothing to fear.  Now if Cheney had appeared.....