Type keyword(s) to search

Jon's Final Show: Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

I've been reading pieces on Deadline, HollywoodReporter and that ilk this morning and, while most are generally positive and even the comments aren't too awful overall, some are really off-base. I'm particulalry surprised at the grousing about the tribute to the staff and comments that some parts were too inside. In my opinion, the send-off was for the people who worked on the show and steady, long time viewers. 

I watched the Daily Show during those last 5 years (I'm french, I had to wait to meet my awesome husband to learn about it!) and I don't know if I'm considered a long time viewer but I loved every second of it. I bawled my eyes out when every correspondant came one by one, even those I had never heard of or never knew they began here. They were happy to be there to say thank you and good bye and it was enough for me. It was about Jon at this time, it was not about the show or the viewers so I don't care if some people didn't like it, it was the proper send off to a man who contributed to change their life, for the better it seems.

The piece about behind the scene people who made sure we got a show 4 times a week was cool also (I noticed too the mostly white crew but I was happy to see so many women). 

It was an awesome last show, it was heartfelt, Colbert got to me hard with his simple but beautiful hommage and I'm dying to know what I'll do know to get 150 morning coffees laughs without both of those guys. You Americans went to bed with them to finish your day on a positive note even when the subjects were infuriating, I got to start mine with the Daily Show and the Colbert Report and I know no better way to wake up than with laughters. It helped me during the hard times my family got through last year and the beginning of this year, and I can't thank Stewart enough for this!

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 15

You know, silly me just realized that Born to Run was the perfect way to end the show considering they start every show with this song. Also, I just found out that some people didn't get the end credit that was just a tribute with Jon ending with the final script on his desk. They got Chris Hardwick and a Comedy Central commercial. I wonder why that is.

I had my second viewing with the rerun this morning.

Jon whispered "happy birthday Honey" under his breath right at the beginning during lots of applause. His wife?

I wondered why Steve Carell was lumped in with that that large group of debate coverers. Only Stephen outshines him in terms of work done both on TDS and subsequently. Ron Corddry got more of a spotlight? That's nuts.

John McCain may have true animosity for Jon, but he showed at least a begrudging respect by appearing on the episode. I thought it was funny.

Gitmo always made me sad, and made me extra sad last night. A puppet modelled on Elmo and incarcerated at that hellhole Guatanamo Bay slightly hurt my heart, so I could have lived without that.

John Oliver was terrific, and I remembered just how much I have been missing Colbert. I will watch him eagerly, even though the format does not sound as appealing at TCR. At this point I don't think I will watch Trevor Noah. I may check it out once or twice, but I don't expect to want to watch the show without Jon (though I would have made an exception for Amy Schumer, who has the right blend of funny, political smarts and down-to-earthness.)

The group hug was adorable.

I felt sad for the dogs. Be they the regular DS dogs or stand-ins, I realized that some of the dogs' daily routine of going with their owners to work every day and getting tons of attention and hanging out with their doggie friends might be at an end.

Jon's final comments, about the "pause in the conversation," "nothing ends- it's just a continuation," made me weepy.

The Springsteen dance party made the show and was a perfect, splashy, emotional, cool ending. The camera people did their best filming it, but I longed to have a more lingering view, with everyone there captured.

• Love 3

Jon whispered "happy birthday Honey" under his breath right at the beginning during lots of applause. His wife?

Yeah. During the Jeff Garlin interview he said that his last day was Tracey's (his wife) birthday. I know too much about this show.

I'm entering my first presidential election without Jon Stewart. What a different world.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 2

After reading everyone's comments I went back and rewatched the show to see all the little moments I missed the first time, like John Oliver's heel kick and Jon dancing with his kids. I didn't cry last night, but I did on my second viewing.

I am so going to miss Jon's giggle. Most men who giggle sound ridiculous but I've always loved his. I'm sad for me but happy that Jon gets to do what he wants now. Farewell, Frodo, er, uh...Jon. Thank you for the years of pleasure and laughter with which you gifted me.

• Love 3

Loved John's heel-click. I don't think that's so easy to do.

Good show. Fun show. Sad show. Done show. (My Dr Seuss impression) I hope I can find some kind of substitute to get me thru these election months, not to mention all the other days of political and cultural insanity and aggravation. I'll certainly check out Trevor. I may revisit Wilmore, having abandoned his show having 2 weeks. Of course John Oliver is spectacular, but his show is more in-depth, whereas I'll need some Jon-ian headline news antidotes.

Jesus they even brought back Kilbourne!!
He had a very Playboy Mansion vibe going on. Ew.

I figured his Hefneresque appearance was part of the joke.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
I wondered why Steve Carell was lumped in with that that large group of debate coverers. Only Stephen outshines him in terms of work done both on TDS and subsequently. Rob Corddry got more of a spotlight? That's nuts.

I thought that was odd as well. My best guess is they did that because they wanted to pair him with Nancy.

I figured his Hefneresque appearance was part of the joke.

Definitely. "Suave dipshit" was always his persona.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 2

I thought that was odd as well. My best guess is they did that because they wanted to pair him with Nancy.

Yeah, I wondered if they had set it up that way for the 2 kids/3 kids joke, but I've have much rather ditched Steve's part of the joke and given him his own segment with Jon later.

Ed Helms looks really different ... and really good. 

I'm so glad Wyatt was there! I'm not going to speculate on Wyatt's moods or mental state but having been "the only one in the room" ; I really GOT the point he was trying to make on Maron's podcast. When you're Jon Stewart and someone like Wyatt reveals such an unflattering thing, all you need do is let your fans tear Wyatt apart. I'm glad he and Jon went with a sort of mutual acknowledgement. I see the riff between Jon and Wyatt as a microcosm of what's happening between Black people and Bernie Sanders supporters and the Progressive movement in general. This discounting of Wyatt's feelings and disdain for his seeking a mentor/father figure.. Did you notice in the BTS there were maybe 5 POC?

These are really good points. I had no idea about the whole Wyatt/ Maron podcast situation when I watched the show last night. That all went over my head entirely, and I just chuckled about Wyatt being so (to my ignorant eyes) ultra-chill about the sendoff (I thought it was just counterpoint to some of the other over-the-top reactions.)

Reading about the whole situation now, what immediately came to mind was "white privilege." In hindsight, Stewart should have listened to the only black writer at the time voicing a legitimate concern about how something might be coming across to a community whose experiences Jon just cannot know, rather than talking over Wyatt and becoming defensive about it. If nothing else, it's a good story for people to read and reflect on.

• Love 10

Thanks for the link! I guess rumors of additional former contributors being in the dancing at the end weren't accurate?

Classy how in a list that just names former correspondents who appeared, Nancy Walls needed to be identified as Carrell's wife (and also a former correspondent!). Not sure why that was necessary, but thanks for clarifying that she's someone's wife!

It does seem odd to clarify particularly because they listed her first as his wife than as a correspondent second but I think it was so people who didn't know they were married would get the "two kids/three kids" joke.

It does seem odd to clarify particularly because they listed her first as his wife than as a correspondent second but I think it was so people who didn't know they were married would get the "two kids/three kids" joke.

I don't remember them playing that up at all when they were on the show, at least not like they did with Jason and Samantha. But I was busy trying to graduate and start college when they were on. I don't remember.

I was coming here to post that I just randomly started laughing at that "two kids/three kids" joke.

Watching it again via the MSNBC special, I realize I forgot to comment on how moving I found it to hear Jon say this was the greatest work environment he'd ever experienced and something he knows he'll never have again, and that was something he had to come to terms with in deciding to leave.  I once stayed in a job two years longer than I wanted to/should have because of the people I worked with.  It's hard to walk away from an environment like that, and this was me doing a job much less meaningful than Jon's -- and almost infinitely less profitable and visible.  I can't imagine how long and involved his mental deliberation must have been. 

Every time I think the coverage of his departure is getting ridiculous, I think about how much I'm going to miss his version of the show and get sucked right back in.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

It was going so well until they brought out Ed Helms. Yuck. Luckily Ollie was not far behind to save things.  Also, that was a lovely statement by Stephen. Lovely. The highlight of the show.

The staff thing was... eh.... okay I guess. Not a huge fan, but it was nice to show those faces.

The bullshit speech was very good, and was a great mission statement of Jon's past 16 years.  The followup speech AFTER that maybe was a bit too soppy/low key, but clearly heartfelt.

Final Moment (well, five minutes) of Zen: Bruuuuuuuce is actually a bit predictable for Jersey Boy Jon. But I'll never bitch about seeing Bruce (and Max, Nils, Stevie, Patti and all the rest).

Also, Chris Hardwick, shut up. Your @midnight teaser sounded lame. 

I've probably watched the exchange between Stephen and Jon about twenty times since last night and i love everything about it.  i love that Stephen is wearing his hair the way he used to wear it when he was a correspondent on TDS.  I love that they're wearing the same frickin' outfit, Stephen's tie is just a little bit less brilliant shade of blue.*  I love Stephen's geeky LOTR awesomeness.  I love Jon trying to squirm his way off-camera, and Stephen's fondly exasperated, "This will go a lot quicker if you'd just hold still!"  (You can totally tell that he's a Dad).  I love watching Jon chew on his hand as Stephen paid him tribute, and, when he tried to slither off-camera again, Stephen scooted his chair over as if to say, not so fast, buddy.  I love the giant group hug at the end. 

Most awesome moment of television this year.  The bar has been set.

(Incidentally, both Stephen and Jon wore the same shirt at Stephen's farewell, which is so cute.  Really love them both).

• Love 9

I'd probably asked very late in the conversation, but is there anyone, anyone who can get a tape report of Jon's final episode? The Zimbio pics of what happened after the correspondents' reunion segment just continued the appreciation and love. And the most important question: did the show give the audience members tissues? It's only cuz I kinda agree with iMonrey that it's almost like a funeral, except happier and gushingly crowded. :)

I'd probably asked very late in the conversation, but is there anyone, anyone who can get a tape report of Jon's final episode? The Zimbio pics of what happened after the correspondents' reunion segment just continued the appreciation and love. And the most important question: did the show give the audience members tissues? It's only cuz I kinda agree with iMonrey that it's almost like a funeral, except happier and gushingly crowded. :)

I found this, redditor Hannibal_Leto was at the taping:

That bit by Colbert was unscripted and it really got to Jon. He said something along the lines of "goddamn you, Stephen."

When you see correspondents run out and group hug Jon, it goes on for a minute before they retreat and Jon hugs and shakes hands with many of them. The taping was delayed by a few minutes to give time to compose himself again.

• Love 3

I'm nine time zones away from home so I wound up watching the final TDS via comedycentral.com. Luckily, I hadn't been spoiled much (all of my social media seemed to be about the GOP debate) so I had no idea what Stephen would say or that Bruce Springsteen would show up. I choked up at the correspondent hug, but the Springsteen segment just made me bawl my eyes out, especially the dance party. I didn't think anything would make me cry as hard as the Colbert finale, but obviously I was wrong.

Thanks to everyone here, and at TWoP, who has gathered for so many years to share their thoughts and opinions, pro and con, on TDS. It's made it a lot more fun to share this with a bunch of fans as rabid as I am (I even took notes at the tapings I attended for taping reports... it's sad that they are gone forever, like all the other forum posts on TWoP). I'll give Trevor Noah a chance, but I doubt I'll be as patient as I have been with Larry Wilmore (whose show I honestly like a lot now, whereas for the first couple months, I thought it was a complete trainwreck). There's only one Jon Stewart, and I miss him already.

Edited by stacey
  • Love 8

Yes they were Daily Show dogs, confirmed by Daniel Radosh.

Yes, these are the actual #DailyShow office dogs, though some photographic trickery was required to get this shot.

(I even took notes at the tapings I attended for taping reports... it's sad that they are gone forever, like all the other forum posts on TWoP).

Use wayback machine for the old TWoP forums. I got my taping reports that way, someone here was nice enough to figure it out. Let me see if I can find their post. It helps if you remember the date and also a lot inputting your own url or clicking around once you get it on wayback machine. It took a bit, but it works!!

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

(I even took notes at the tapings I attended for taping reports... it's sad that they are gone forever, like all the other forum posts on TWoP).

My taping report was so long that I wrote it in Word first, then posted it in three parts. Thankfully I still have the Word file. :)

Speaking of which, it was so fun, at the end of the tribute to the staff, when they came out into the studio and panned around. I said to my friend, with whom I was watching the final show, 'I've been there!' Glad I got to go; sad I'll not go again with Jon in the host chair.

Edited by purist
  • Love 3

I'm so glad I got to go, too, even though it was only once. I was there in November 2003, and Brendan Fraser was the guest. He was plugging a movie that either had a convoluted plot, or else Fraser wasn't explaining it very well, and finally Jon said, "Am I gonna have to get high to do this interview?"

• Love 1
It was going so well until they brought out Ed Helms. Yuck. Luckily Ollie was not far behind to save things.

I get you might not be a fan of his movies or when he was a correspondent but damn I'm not going to think badly for him or any of them.

tumblr_nsooazSc7t1ro5rv7o1_1280.jpg

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 9

I for one, am glad there are so many positive articles about Jon.  And I know better, I do, NOT to read the comments, but even in every positive article I've read, most of the comments are so negative about Jon and what he did for not just the show, but, at least for me, (helped keep my sanity). So, now I force myself to just read and move along.

And I'm loving all these pictures y'all are posting!

• Love 2

Oh and the young woman they referred to as something like, "Midwest Cait" and she said "I'm from Colorado!"  (I lived there for more than twenty years, please don't tell people from Colorado it's technically the midwest, they sincerely don't seem to know, and seem to think it's an insult*). 

Midwest Allie!  She's now my idol.  I'm also from Colorado, and yes, it's NOT the Midwest.  It's a Mountain state!  :D

I wouldn't look into anything in Jon not facing Josh Gad. He didn't face Stephen during the entire planned part of his final bit with him and wasn't going to until Stephen stopped them from going to commercial and did his off-prompter thank you to Jon.

Be sure to go to "Read More" at the end for more on the Daily Show dogs!

I've only just watched the final show. I've been watching Jon and TDS since before Jon was on TDS. I was a wreck after the last Letterman (which also ended with a live performance of the host's favorite band playing his favorite song), but thankfully this one just got a little lump in my throat. See you around, Jon!

• Love 3

Speaking of which, it was so fun, at the end of the tribute to the staff, when they came out into the studio and panned around. I said to my friend, with whom I was watching the final show, 'I've been there!' Glad I got to go; sad I'll not go again with Jon in the host chair.

We remembered that, purist. It was in November 2008 when, before you went, you wrote to us over at TWoP that you had a question you wanted to ask Jon during the pre taping Q&A session pertaining to your native Australia, but you were too uncertain and hesitant about doing so. We talked you into asking Jon that, because it was a great question to ask him. And so, when you went, you did get to ask Jon that question. And Jon gave you a very Jonesque answer that made your trip worth the long travel to New York.

And that's one of the big things I'm going to miss about TDS without Jon (and what I already miss from TCR): The taping reports. It always felt like Christmas Day whenever someone posted, mainly at TWoP, their experiences sitting in the audience at a taping session, because they always gave us behind the scenes info that we could never get anywhere else, which always came in handy whenever Jon mentioned something that someone in the audience had asked him off the top of the show. We got it from purist, we got it from trow125, we got it from LADreamr, we go many, many from UnderCover thanks to her envious position of living in New York, we got some from our dear TWoP friend shamskygirl.

I myself have also contributed to this love by making two trips to New York for the sole purpose of attending two TDS tapings - as well as one TCR taping. And both times I got to talk to Jon (both pertaining to my native Canada), which was a personal highlight of my taping experiences. The second one stood out huge for me because it felt like I got to play the straight man in one of Jon's comedy routines. Plus I made Jon laugh near the end, which is like receiving a badge of honor from him. It was also the episode where Steve Carell was Jon's guest and Jon said to Steve he would like to take the audience, put them in a pile, and have all the correspondents, past and present, fuck them - something brought up more than once here as the show got close to Jon's end. It was always so satisfying to read the thanks from the TWoP posters about my taping experiences, when I was known there as EmperorJon.

And the one thing I will give Jon thanks for was inspiring and motivating me to go out to visit New York (as well as the Food Network for the many dishes the city has to offer). For a long time, I bought into the negative stereotypes about New York. That it was a dangerous, seedy place to visit. But as I got older, I became less judgemental and figured New York would be an interesting place to visit for a vacation. Finally, Jon gave me the reason to go to New York. And, as I waited to go to a taping, I got the chance to get lost in that wonderful city and see the rich, diverse character it had to offer. Times Square, Central Park, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge. The pizza at Lombardi's was in a different stratosphere as far as pizza goes (which is my kryptonite). And the hot pastrami on rye and the egg crème soda served at Katz's Deli was to die for. My visits to New York were some of the most memorable in my life. And I may never have done that were it not for Jon to draw me there.

This is why Jon's departure from TDS is sad - apart from the catharsis his humor at the insanity of the world, and the people who covered it, gave us. I don't know if Trevor can give us that kind of feeling of togetherness, once he begins hosting the show. I don't think Larry has done that yet. And Ollie's half hour show is once a week. Perhaps Stephen can do this once he begins The Late Show in September.

But, as purist stated, we'll never get to see Jon in that chair again. On television or in studio. <:(

• Love 17

<3 Victor the Crab <3. Thanks for a long, lovely journey together. P.S., when we moved over here from TWoP, I never had any question you were EmperorJon. :)

I was rewatching the 9/11 episode, because, you know, not quite enough heartache this week, and it reminded me of something I'm not sure if I ever shared. I had a friend who was an intern on the show at the time of the attacks, and she said when they came back and started doing shows again, no one was lining up for tickets, and they actually had to go out to the street and ask if people wanted to see the show. I can't remember how long she said that lasted.

And a funny story from her: remember when Al Sharpton was supposed to be on the show, and he canceled at the last minute and Stephen Colbert filled in for him? She said they had to grab him to do it because all the other correspondents had already left and he was out the door too, but they managed to catch him, and he basically walked from the street to the couch and played him for Jon. Brilliantly, too.

Watching that episode just brought those old stories back to me and I thought you guys might like to hear them.

• Love 11

And a funny story from her: remember when Al Sharpton was supposed to be on the show, and he canceled at the last minute and Stephen Colbert filled in for him? She said they had to grab him to do it because all the other correspondents had already left and he was out the door too, but they managed to catch him, and he basically walked from the street to the couch and played him for Jon. Brilliantly, too.

Was Colbert headed to the premiere of one of the LOTR movies at that point as well? Commitment.

My verdict: brilliant. Jon Stewart's final Daily Show episode was like David Letterman's finale, perfect, from start to finish, whether it was the return of former alumni & the group hug, the Martin Scorcese-directed homage to his crew (dogs & all), Stephen Colbert's speech or Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band's performances, topped off by both the dancing & Max Weinberg's giving Jon his drumsticks. That Stewart's from my home state of VA makes it even more bittersweet. Stewart's contributions to news, politics & pop culture are incredible, indelible & IMO undeniable. The tribute from friends and occasional foes seemed heartfelt. If Arby's could honor Jon, then he must be doing something right. I'm glad that Jon & Wyatt seemed to have patched things up in time for the finale. I hope that both have learned from/ will grow because of it.

Given Jon's presence in the last few elections cycles, his not being there for this one on a regular basis feels wrong to me. If Trump alone isn't reason enough for Stewart to stay, then I don't know who is. However, as much as I want Stewart to stay, I understand why he left. He has other things that he wants to do & he probably feels that if he doesn't leave now, he'll never do them. As for new host Trevor Noah, I'll not only give him a chance, if the tape-measure bit is any indication, then the show's in good hands. Time will tell.

Back to Colbert, his tribute to Stewart was flawless. Colbert's words were both truthful and touching. Stewart was not only, to paraphrase Colbert, "infuriatingly good at [his] job," he made those around him better, as artists and as people.  Then there was Springsteen, who's improved with age, in every way. The band's performance was joyful, spontaneous & sweet. It was truly worthy of the man who inspired it.

Thank you, Jon. Because of you, when it comes to bullshit, now, even more than ever, to paraphrase you, my response will be "when I smell something, I'll say something."

• Love 4

I guess I'm just confused. I know that there was a fallout of sorts between Jon and Wyatt, but didn't he remain on the show for another year? Some articles make it seem like he left right after and that the finale was the first time he and Jon have "talked" since then. Also, I saw Wyatt getting in on the group hug.

• Love 1

What happens to the staff (I had no idea there were so many) between now and when Tervor takes over. Do they get paid, or are they supposed to take long vactions. Also, the dogs will miss each other.

Well as of right now, they must be doing individual activities. The studio/heavy hands of the show are busy deconstructing the set to be moved into the Newseum, and except for Elliot Kalan (the now ex-head writer of TDS), I have no clue what they'll be doing, besides missing their voice in a critical part of the election (and more Trump bullish%&t after his remarks on Megyn Kelly). Correspondents Hasan Minaj and Jordan Klepper recently performed stand-up with Al Madrigal (I think he left the show too) at the OutsideLands festival in San Francisco.

Well as of right now, they must be doing individual activities. The studio/heavy hands of the show are busy deconstructing the set to be moved into the Newseum, and except for Elliot Kalan (the now ex-head writer of TDS), I have no clue what they'll be doing, besides missing their voice in a critical part of the election (and more Trump bullish%&t after his remarks on Megyn Kelly). Correspondents Hasan Minaj and Jordan Klepper recently performed stand-up with Al Madrigal (I think he left the show too) at the OutsideLands festival in San Francisco.

Al did not leave the show. The crop of correspondents are still the same.

What happens to the staff (I had no idea there were so many) between now and when Tervor takes over.

I can't say for sure for The Daily Show, but I know that Stephen Colbert and his staff are hard at work preparing for his new show, and have been for months.  I assume a lot of the staff will be working to prepare for the new show, although there are probably some who's services are not required right now.   

If only Clarance "Big Man" Clemons was alive playing the saxophone.

Here's a factoid I didn't know until I looked it up:  the 'new' saxophonist is Clarance's nephew.  So the position has stayed in the family.

• Love 1

It’s great that Comedy Central let the show run even longer than expected so viewers could watch Stewart give each member of the E Street Band a bear hug after the last strains of “Born to Run” faded out,

The quote is from the yahoo link above, but this was the one problem I had with the final episode:  I was travelling Thursday night and DVR'd the episode.  The DVR recorded the stated 51 minutes of the program.  Unfortunately, at the 51 minute mark, it cut off everything that went beyond that - so I missed the remainder of Jon's final statement and ALL of the E-Street sessions.

Fortunately, dear hubby is a fan of @Midnight, which followed immediately and we got to see the rest of the program, pretty much from where the DVR cut off to the end.

So yeah, it was nice of CC to extend the broadcast, but sadly, those of us who rely on DVRs through minimal fault of our own were not helped.

• Love 1

The quote is from the yahoo link above, but this was the one problem I had with the final episode:  I was travelling Thursday night and DVR'd the episode.  The DVR recorded the stated 51 minutes of the program.  Unfortunately, at the 51 minute mark, it cut off everything that went beyond that - so I missed the remainder of Jon's final statement and ALL of the E-Street sessions.

Fortunately, dear hubby is a fan of @Midnight, which followed immediately and we got to see the rest of the program, pretty much from where the DVR cut off to the end.

So yeah, it was nice of CC to extend the broadcast, but sadly, those of us who rely on DVRs through minimal fault of our own were not helped.

Whenever there is a significant event on TV, I try to record way over time in case it runs over.

I did that with the Letterman taping, which went way, way over (a lot of people missed the last part of that, too) -- even though there were warnings about 3 hours in advance.

So I had it set for about 90 minutes of recording. Just in case.

But you never know with these things: It's likely always going to run over because the network isn't going to edit down the last show.

• Love 3