Type keyword(s) to search

Jon's Final Show: Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Happy Jon Stewart day to everyone in NYC.

Hope you guys like Springsteen and the E Street Band. And if you wanted to see your favorite former correspondents, rejoice.

Say hello again to Craig Kilborn.

They opened up the Nightly Show studio so people could see it live from there.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 3

Well, that sent me back so far I accidentally typed in the TWoP address. I was holding my breath for Wyatt once I saw what they were doing, but I was shocked to see Kilborn. What a lovely way to say goodbye.

• Love 7

Could Jon's finale be any more perfect? From the numerous correspondents coming on to give their thanks - Ollie and Steven were the absolute perfect last ones to salute Jon - and Stephen overthrowing Jon's exit to tell him how much he meant to all of their careers was the sweetest part of the sendoff - to his thanking his staff for all they've done for him, to his Camera Three opinion, and finally Bruce Springsteen and his E Street Band, with Max Weinberg and Little Steven performing, rocking him out as his MoZ, Jon's sendoff was appropo.

And now, Jon is gone from us. Winter has arrived. <:(

Comedy Network in Canada is now giving us Trevor Noah's standup act. Godspeed Trevor.

• Love 10

Well, that was lovely.  Love that all the correspondents showed up (even Wyatt, which shocked me after what he said).  Wish that Jon gave one last dig against Fox News, especially after Roger Ailes' little dig against him.  Never let the enemy have the last word, I say.

Good God, Craig Kilborne got next to no applause.  And then Olivia Munn shows up - huge applause.  I don't even remember her being on the show.  Then again, beautiful woman with a cake.  How could one not  applaud?  Always nice to see Rob Riggle and I loved him playing up the macho Marine angle.  Seeing Gitmo Elmo one last time was nice too :D

Love that Stephen compared him and Jon to Sam and Frodo.  So much bromance :D

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 7

Not to detract from Jon's big moment, but...

"Dung lung" had me on the floor.

Also.  Jesus Fucking Christ.  Bruce still knows how to wear the hell out of a black T-shirt.

• Love 15

Really moving tribute.  I'm not even a regular watcher of TDS and I'm already weeping.  I had no idea that all those people worked on TDS.  Loved Colbert cutting off the commercial so he could tell Jon what he and the show have meant to everyone.  

So fitting that Springsteen performed.  I remember Jon inducted Bruce at the Kennedy Center Honors, and it was nice to see this performance.

• Love 4

I thought this was an absolutely incredible last show. I hate, hate, hate that he's leaving. He and Colbert saved my sanity during the Bush/Darth Cheney years.

A friend told me turned down $50 million to continue the show. Don't know where she heard that, but if true it seems he has his priorities straight. Wish he'd taken the money and stayed, though.

• Love 13

I love that they spent so much time on the piece about the staff.  That's not something the average audience member cares to see, so it's not normally given that much airtime.  This whole thing felt like a very personal farewell, done more for those who made the show than those who watched it, and as a member of the latter group I'm perfectly fine with that. 

I cried when Stephen talked about how Jon hadn't just provided them the gig that opened doors, but also provided the example they take with them through those doors.  And then I cried again with Springsteen. 

I'm going to miss this version of the show so, so much.  I've had my issues over the years, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. 

• Love 15

They were certainly reaching backwards in time for some of those correspondents (you could tell a lot of the audience had no idea who Kilborn was in relation to the show).  Seeing Colbert, Oliver and Wilmore all together really drove home how much Stewart's disciples have carried his influence to other shows.

Springsteen and the E Street Band are still amazing performers after all these years.  Max Weinberg, especially, just watching him drum is exciting.

• Love 6

So many tears. All the correspondents. Camera 3. Gitmo. The amazing speech by Colbert. John Olivers shock at commercials. Springsteen. A reference to Cheney shooting a guy. Darth Vader being less evil than Cheney. The show was amazing I happy I extended my recording so I can watch the whole thing again. I am going to miss Jon.

• Love 4

I thought this was an absolutely incredible last show. I hate, hate, hate that he's leaving. He and Colbert saved my sanity during the Bush/Darth Cheney years.

A friend told me turned down $50 million to continue the show. Don't know where she heard that, but if true it seems he has his priorities straight. Wish he'd taken the money and stayed, though.

A guest stated it on the show. Was it Louis CK? I think it was but my brain is a bit scattered right now.

• Love 1

I absolutely loved it and was crying and cheering.  I am so glad Wyatt came back.  That was fantastic. 

Stephen telling Jon to stop squirming and let the love rain down on him and he has no say as the people there no longer worked for him.

Always glad to see Hodgman.  I loved the behind the scenes look - I always wanted to see that office and the people who worked there.

And as a Walking Dead fan - I was glad to Chris Hardwick come on and soothe people on their loss.  He has been there for many a time.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 6

Ah shit.  I had some dignity, just a gentle weeping throughout ....right up until the Final Camera 3 segment....but when Bruce Springsteen played him out? 

Yeah.  I made that chick from The Blair Witch Project's cryface look elegant.  

I think I cried so hard my nose swelled up. 

ETA: I wasn't surprised that Wyatt showed up.  Seriously.  I think I a lot of Jon, but I also think that Wyatt wouldn't be so petty and that the real truth of the matter is that Wyatt  is also just a complicated guy.   That is officially the point at which I started crying though.  I wasn't surprised, but I was so glad! 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 7

A guest stated it on the show. Was it Louis CK? I think it was but my brain is a bit scattered right now.

Denis Leary. It was a joke though. However the amount they offered was pretty significant IIRC. They also wanted him to stay at least a few more months but Jon was adamant about August at the latest. Comedy Central executives knew by November of last year.

• Love 1

That's what a wake is supposed to be, right? Holy crap, I think this might top Stephen's departure from The Colbert Report, and that had Abe Lincoln and Alex Trebek. And I think every correspondent got covered. . . . even the guy that does Jon's job for 5-7 minutes a week and gets slammed for not being as funny. Also, it's funny that Olivia Munn came by with cake. I was thinking she'd pop out of a cake. In her Psylocke costume. Something might be wrong with me.

And thanks goes to Comedy Central for letting "bullshit" slide for the night. I think his speech would have been as strong even without cussing, but it was good to hear it unbleeped.

So . . .  when does Trevor Noah start his gig? I wish him luck . . . I don't think Jon had as much pressure when he succeeded Craig in 1999.

• Love 8

Colbert got me right in the damn feels. That was terrific.

It's been ages since I sat down every night and watched the show - now I watch mostly the news segments, online. But it was lovely to see all those correspondents (I was so excited to see Beth Littleford!). I really don't care about the 2 newest dudes, but everyone else, man. And I was surprised to see Wyatt Cenac as well.

Man this is gonna be weird in the coming weeks, with all the election stuff. I'm so sad.

And yes, Chris Hardwick actually handled that perfectly.

• Love 5

I've been watching since the beginning, and the talent to come from TDS is crazy. I'd forgotten a few of those correspondents and was happy to see so many came back. 

It was a bit heartwrenching to flip from the debates to TDS and know I'm not going to have JS or SC to get me through this upcoming election. There's a few people in the wings who I have my eye on, but it won't be the same. 

I'll miss you, Jon. Thanks for being my most trusted news/funnyman.

• Love 5

Loved the Kilborn cameo. While I'm sure some in the audience had no idea who he was, I think the fact that his bit was pre-taped, short, and without much setup also didn't provide much time for any reaction. It was like, "Hey is that Craig Kilb... he's gone." I genuinely appreciate how far back they went with some of the correspondents (haven't seen Vance Degeneres in like a decade), although it was kind of strange that they burned Carell's appearance so early when all the other A-list alumni were saved until the end.

Didn't much care for the Goodfellas segment.

Loved the bullshit monologue.

So . . .  when does Trevor Noah start his gig? I wish him luck . . . I don't think Jon had as much pressure when he succeeded Craig in 1999.

September 28 is when Trevor debuts.

Anyone else felt the love for the group hug the correspondents gave to Jon?

Nyquil?

I just took some Nyquil and a sleeping tablet. So long, suckers!

• Love 5
I loved that during the Goodfellas tracking shot they showed a huge Arby's delivery.

It was a yooge delivery. Totally classy. Yooge. Beautiful.

Kicked right in the Feels, I was.

Stray thoughts: 

• Ed Helms really does look better with age. Rrowr.
  • I wondered why Rob Corrrdrrry (with extra letters for safety) didn't say Nate should be standing in the middle of a field in Afghanistan, but then I remembered that was a different show.
  • I floved the group hug/bounce at the end of the first (really long, and no I didn't want it to end) first act. It's what they do at home when the guy who hits a walk-off homer touches the plate, and I think Jon did that. 
  • Kilborn seems to have Done Something to his face. Nice of him to show up. face and all.
  • McCain wasn't pretending in his cameo. He really is a bitter old fuck.
  • Jon trying to scoot away from Stephen's Love Bomb was adorkable, Let us love you, Jon!!! Stand there and take our love!
  • Dogs playing poker in the executive suite tickled me. Such good doggies!
  • Stephen's front forelock is growing out to look decidedly Tek Jansenesque.

Gah. Sadness. 

• Love 12

Thinking about it . . . what correspondents/contributors didn't we see? The one I kept thinking about was Frank DeCaro. And Tom Shilue, mostly because I went to two tapings with his "This Week In Hate" segments. Too obscure?

It doesn't get any better than that. Adore you, Jon.

Thank you for also getting me through the Bush/Cheney years. I want to see "if you smell something, say something" everywhere.

The memory I'll take with me is seeing Jon dancing with his kids while Bruce sang Born to Run. *sniff* And Max giving him the sticks. *sniff*

(And here's something I never thought I'd say--I found Chris Hardwick comforting.)

• Love 4

Thinking about it . . . what correspondents/contributors didn't we see? The one I kept thinking about was Frank DeCaro.

Using Wikipedia as a source, which is admittedly risky, and leaving out the ones who were Kilborn-exclusive or only appeared once or twice, I come up with the following absences:

• Beth Littleford
  • Miriam Tolan
  • Lauren Weedman
  • Rachael Harris
  • Stacey Grenrock-Woods
  • Bob Wiltfong
  • Andy Kindler
  • Frank DeCaro
  • Dave Gorman (aka "That other British guy who was there for a couple months")
  • Demetri Martin
Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

I wondered if we missed some correspondents,too,lantern. So, Jon alluded to his family being in attendance. How did Tracey cover 4 wee ears with all the sbits & bullshits going on?

Edited by atir

For at least a dozen or more of those last 16+ years, I've been addicted to that Mon-Thurs 11PM little oasis on TV of pure joy and many, many hurtin' gut laughs.  I've had, like just about every one else in the world, had a ton of bad days during that time.  The past few years have been a nightmare health-wise and it was a little too close there to see who would leave first.  BUT, at 11PM, regardless of what had happened that day, I would start getting this happy feeling just knowing I was about to watch JON STEWART eviscerate the totally soul sucking 24 news cycle on both CNN and FoxNews.  It gave me literal pure joy.  I wasn't a complete fan of the whole show. Usually, I would zip through the interviews when they had people on I didn't like.  Also, not all of the correspondent stuff hit the mark.  I think it was meant to be that way.  Oh well, it's all gone now.  And like a jealous lover who knows someone else is going to be doing something like what my "JON STEWART" isn't going to be doing anymore, I don't think I am going to give Trevor Noah a chance.  It would simply hurt too much.

And, as for JON, I wouldn't mind knowing that he did go off and live with his family on a farm in New Jersey.  At this present time, I can't imagine what I would like to see him do career wise.  Yeah, that farm life sounds good, especially if you have a hell of a lot of money in the bank.

BTW, I started crying the minute the show started and didn't stop. At times it was just the sniffles, or when I had to separate fighting cats or get a couple off my chest ( really..off my chest-I couldn't breath, too many cats in this darn house).  I'm not joking, if it wasn't for these feline balls of terror, I would have non-stop snot cried.

I can't believe that little oasis is gone.  I don't remember ever being quite this upset at losing a TV show. Maybe because this was so much more than a TV show. I loved you "Knots Landing", but you were just a well made nighttime soap.

Guh..I'm babbling...plus night meds kicked in about 30 minutes ago.  Lots of us are going to have a hard time come Monday night.

• Love 8

Denis Leary. It was a joke though. However the amount they offered was pretty significant IIRC. They also wanted him to stay at least a few more months but Jon was adamant about August at the latest. Comedy Central executives knew by November of last year.

Thanks. Yes, it was Denis Leary! And it was definitely said during his jokes on what Jon turned down. I don't know the real figure or if it was actually ever revealed. But I do recall that when Jon made the announcement he was undecided on the timing of his departure.

Nevertheless, I miss him already.

Awesome, in pretty much every way.  Loved to see all the old correspondents back once again.  Loved both Ollie's and (especially) Colbert's appearance.  Just so well done.

Also have to say I liked McCain's cameo.  Believe it or not, I wish Sarah Palin was included (hey, stop that boooing -- here me out).  It would have been kinda funny if she would have said, "Goodbye, Jon!  Gosh I hate quitters!".  (ok, I'll keep my day job).

Liked CC not bleeping out "bullshit".  Nice job, guys.  And The Boss playing him out -- epic.  Just a great finale!

• Love 6

I smiled through the whole thing, although Colbert nearly got me.  And then the impossible happened. 

I'm no fan of Springsteen.  Nothing wrong with him, per se, I just never really enjoyed his music or found it anything special.  But knowing how much Jon loves him, when he announced here it is, "HIS" moment of Zen, and then it was the Boss?  That got me.  And that first song?  I remember when Jon first interviewed Springsteen and just basically gushed the entire time and said how much That Song meant to him, a scrappy little smart-ass from New Jersey hoping to escape one day and make it in the city.  So, knowing how much of a fan Jon is of Bruuuuuuce, and knowing how personal that particular song is to Jon...well, that's when my house got extremely dusty.

American politics won't be the same without you, Jon.  We miss you already.

• Love 5

I so enjoyed that, but it really felt like the end of an era.  I'm 32, so almost my entire awareness of issues and politics had Jon's stamp of brilliance all over.  Seeing him dancing with his kids to his man Bruce absolutely got me. 

I loved seeing the correspondents and was tickled at how much influence this show and Jon actually has contributed to current popular culture.  I've always adored John Oliver (Last Week Tonight is kind of amazing) and Stephen Colbert will always be my favorite (can't wait for the Late Show), so their individual pieces were excellent and quite fitting.  I got a bit misty at Stephen's spokesman piece to Jon. Disappointed not to see a bit more from Carrell, but happy he was there at all.

Since I was 18 and could vote, I've never had to make it through an election cycle without Jon and his brand of comfort and validation.  I miss him already and while no one will be able to replace him, I hope his influence and legacy continue to bring the humor, plain common sense and bullshit meter that is much needed in American politics.   

• Love 5

Since I was 18 and could vote, I've never had to make it through an election cycle without Jon and his brand of comfort and validation.  I miss him already and while no one will be able to replace him, I hope his influence and legacy continue to bring the humor, plain common sense and bullshit meter that is much needed in American politics.

Jon Stewart's election coverage has been, in terms of years, a fairly minor part of my voting life.  Yet I'm still having trouble imagining going through the 2016 election without it.

• Love 3

Colbert got me right in the damn feels. That was terrific.

It's been ages since I sat down every night and watched the show - now I watch mostly the news segments, online. But it was lovely to see all those correspondents (I was so excited to see Beth Littleford!). I really don't care about the 2 newest dudes, but everyone else, man. And I was surprised to see Wyatt Cenac as well.

Man this is gonna be weird in the coming weeks, with all the election stuff. I'm so sad.

And yes, Chris Hardwick actually handled that perfectly.

Where was Beth Littleford? I may have missed her. Someone mentioned Rachael Harris getting in on the group hug despite not appearing in the correspondent feature.

• Love 1