Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Dare to Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

So I was trolling the CMT site looking for new clips (to sustain me until tonight!) and I finally found the bonus segments for episode 1.  One had a fuller version of the judges' discussion about Colby and Kat's appearances, and whether or not they were too skinny.  Re Colby, one of the judges straight up said "too much plastic surgery."  I was kind of like ouch, dang, but yes!  

Did they change the schedule? Earlier in the week I swear I did not see it listed for tonight and set up my DVR for Friday. Thanks to you post I set it up for tonight.

http://www.tvruckus.com/2015/08/13/dcc-making-the-team-preview-miss-kitty-and-the-interviews-add-drama-tonight/

According to the CMT website and the link above, the show will air at 11 PM tonight, EST. 

And also according to this link, Kitty Carter actually says to someone (Taylor, I think): "God grabbed your crack, and went BOOM!" Say what?!

I'm sure it also airs on Friday, but the CMT website seems so crazy that I can't find the full schedule easily.

I'm surprised Colby (can't say that without thinking of cheese) made it to finals.

Me too. She reminds me a little bit of former TCC Nina Marie from season 6; the one Kelli called boring.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 1

See I don't think Kat is too thin at all - she's thin, yes, but she has a nice shape, and looks very feminine - like Jinnelle. I think Kats figure is actually helping her appearance-wise cause I think her face is very vanilla looking. She is styling herself as best as she possibly can by giving herself a lot of flashy attention getting hair so that's good. She does look like a good dancer too from the episode 2 preview clips.

Colby is a very shapeless type of thin, almost like what you see in young teenagers, and it's actually pretty freaky to look at cause her face looks older - it's like putting the face of a 35 year old woman on the body of a lanky 13 year old. I can't tell how well she can dance yet.

• Love 1

So I was trolling the CMT site looking for new clips (to sustain me until tonight!) and I finally found the bonus segments for episode 1.  One had a fuller version of the judges' discussion about Colby and Kat's appearances, and whether or not they were too skinny.  Re Colby, one of the judges straight up said "too much plastic surgery."  I was kind of like ouch, dang, but yes!  

http://www.cmt.com/videos/dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-making-the-team-dare-to-dream/1737242/playlist.jhtml#id=1737242

• Love 2

Kristi Scales, who writes for Star magazine, gives the number each year.  It's never 500.  Last year it was 300. I cannot remember what she wrote for this year (I remember last year because it was the first time I realized Kelli ups the numbers for the show).  I thought they let anyone come to prelims so why would the number change?  From what I have read, if you show up that morning, they will let you audition.

Regarding the veterans who try out for their second year, I remember in the earlier seasons that they showed up for Kitty's class along with the new girls.  I wonder why they don't do that anymore.  It would be a great way to get feedback on the solo, the outfit, the kicks, etc.  On the other hand, if I had gained weight, I don't know if I would want to give Kitty a chance to criticize me in front of the cameras:(

I really would like to see Taylor and her repeat outfit.

I've seen  a few comments on these boards about girls who wore the same outfit for more than one audition. Is wearing the same outfit bad? I mean, is there some unspoken rule about not doing that because the judges look down on it or something? Is it superstition? I've seen how expensive those outfits can be, and a lot of those girls are students. I can't help but think that if I were in their shoes, I'd wear the same outfit over and over until it I wore it out. I'm very frugal though, LOL.

• Love 1

I've seen  a few comments on these boards about girls who wore the same outfit for more than one audition. Is wearing the same outfit bad? I mean, is there some unspoken rule about not doing that because the judges look down on it or something? Is it superstition? I've seen how expensive those outfits can be, and a lot of those girls are students. I can't help but think that if I were in their shoes, I'd wear the same outfit over and over until it I wore it out. I'm very frugal though, LOL.

I don't think it's "bad"..it's just like "you're a dancer..I'm SURE you have SOMETHING else to wear." I guess they figure wearing the same thing will bring them attention b/c it may remind the judges who you are, so it's not a terrible thing..

My feeling is that if you made a good enough impression to be called back for the next round, wearing the same outfit can be a good thing because then the judges instantly recognize you.

I also thought the whole thing about her inventing a cartilage implant could have done without the shot of her intensely studying a plastic replica of the human spine. I was impressed by the patent. Then they cut to her staring at that spine as if she'd never seen one before.

In her defense, I also work in science and I kid you not, EVERY TIME someone comes to our lab to film or take pictures or asks for a photo to use for publicity purposes, they ALWAYS want me in a lab coat even though no one in our lab wears them. I had one publisher who requested pictures in lab and then rejected the ones I sent because I wasn't wearing a lab coat. When I explained that I don't wear a lab coat to do my job, they asked if I could get a lab coat to stage a photo. At that point, I was so tired of that stereotype that I just point blank refused to do it because I felt it was a bit like lying. I don't want to mislead anyone into thinking that my job requires a white lab coat. You can do science without one! Anyway, I would bet that the producers asked her to look at that model of the spine.

The editing last night was ridiculous.  They showed Amy (I think that's her name -- the short African-American girl) as the last one called when announcing the names of those going to finals, but as she's walking up there, you can see Taylor and Amy L. still sitting there, and we know they made it too!

Now Kelli says over 500 girls tried out from 37 different states!!

I call BS. The highest finalist number was in the 320s, wasn't it? If there were 500 dancers, it seems odd that there wouldn't be even ONE finalist in the last 175 or so girls. Which makes me think the real number was well under 400. And every time they talk about how many other places the girls come from, I wonder how many flew in from elsewhere specifically for the auditions vs those who were born elsewhere, but actually live in Dallas now because their family moved when they were little or they moved for college or something.

I'm with you. Usually in each Episode 1, you get a long shot of all the women sitting in the stadium, a big block of dancers, and you can do a quick count -- rows times seats in each row. I've never, even counting generously, been able to get over about 350.

Ha, I noticed this too. My OCD means I often pause the show to count rows and in this episode there were multiple opportunities for this. First before auditions began, Kelli had all the girls assemble in the stadium so she could greet them. I think I counted ten rows which each had 22(?) seats (and inexplicably, one girl by herself in the eleventh row). Later when they were inside the audition room for freestyle dancing, there were five chairs, an aisle down the middle, and then five more chairs (so ten per row) and there were about 22 rows (I was watching on my laptop so the resolution wasn't great enough for me to count the last few rows). In both cases there were definitely less than 300 girls (my estimate was 220 girls which is why I kind of laughed when Kelli said that "only" 130 of them would make it to semi-finals), but when they wrote the numbers on the whiteboard to announce who had made it to semi-finals, the highest number was 332. That means there were definiitely less than the 500 dancers that Kelli claimed. Based on the number of girls we actually saw on the screen, it makes me wonder if they got up to 332 by skipping some chunks of numbers when they assigned numbers of the girls. On the whiteboard, there are some big gaps in the numbers. There is no one between 24-52, 75-101, and 148-179.

Kat annoyed me too a bit with the leg pulling, especially the way she did a slow circle on one leg. That was weird. And she wasn't the only one. It looked to me like a few of the girls remembered Judy's comment about Melissa last year being so great and how she brought her leg up and thought "that's it! That'll get me into semi's".

That is a skill used in rhythmic gymnastics, artistic gymnastics, and figure skating. It requires flexibility, balance, and control so I can see why girls who are capable of it would do it during auditions. At least you know someone who can do that trick won't have issues doing the kickline.

I was cracking up when Melissa said they saw a lot of twerking and then we got a montage of, well, not really twerking.

For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would audition for this team if they can't kick or do a jump split.

I'm never sure if it's delusion or denial.

While it's awesome she earned academic scholarships to SMU, I was kind of wondering about her family's economic crunch as I watched her rehearsing in that beautiful in-home dance studio with dark wood walls and floors. (I can see the living room or family room through the doorway.)  Crisis or not, good for her for taking the reins of her own education, and I'd like to see her try out again next year.

Ha, I felt kind of mean wondering about the same thing when I saw her fancy home dance studio right after she said she couldn't go to any of her dream schools.. To be honest, your dad losing his job before college is actually GREAT because that means that your family income is lower which means that you qualify for more financial aid. I know this because my dad was employed when I started college and then a year and a half later, he got laid off just before my sister filled out her college forms. Because he got laid off, my sister got SO many grants and had barely any debt when she graduated (unlike me who had a buttload of loans - I owed more from my first two years of college than she did after five years of college). While I think it's great that she found some scholarships, I was like uhh, lots of people have to find scholarships and grants to pay for college so stop making it sound like it was this ingenious thing to do. Another option: getting a job, which is what I did to pay for my final years of college.

Sadly, I don't think that Auto Amy should have made finals. She didn't know the choreography AND she didn't have her splits at the end of the kickline so I have no idea why she is there.

I laughed when Melissa said that if you can't do kicks, you won't make the team. Girl, I still remember Loni.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

No, a part time job isn't going to pay for private school tuition, but private schools can basically waive your tuition or give you special "scholarships" and grants (which just means they wipe out part of your tuition). And that's in addition to the massive amount of grants you qualify for when you submit a FAFSA that says your dad doesn't have a job anymore. My first two years I had three work study jobs to offset some of the cost of my tuition (in addition to the insane amount of loans I had). After I transferred, I had an off campus job that paid almost three times the minimum wage, which is how I paid for the last three years of my college and bought a car without any financial assistance from my parents. Plus she said that her dad lost his job her sophomore year of high school so that gave her two years to work and save up money before starting college. That's what lots of people do (even when both their parents have jobs).

I'm not trying to say anything bad about her because it's great that she figured out a way to pay her tuition. It's just not a huge deal or really something worth high fiving her for. Thousands (millions?) of college students do it every year. My friend got an academic scholarship to pay his tuition, worked as an RA to cover his room and board, and then worked full time at a minimum wage job every summer to cover books and other expenses, and his was not an uncommon story. Another friend of mine was a national merit scholar (which covered his tuition) who worked full time as a manager in a canning factory every summer and then invested his entire salary (which was the equivalent of a normal person's annual salary) on the stock market to cover the rest of his expenses and he graduated in only three years with a double major. Another friend of mine went to SMU and she came from a single parent family but they found a way to pay for it with a combination of scholarships, grants, and loans.

Of course, those stories are balanced out by several people I knew who didn't work a single day while they were in college because their parents gave them an allowance, a car, and a credit card and paid for everything. All I'm saying is that while it's awesome that she found a way to go to college, it's not like she's the first person who ever had to figure out an alternative to "daddy writes a fat check." It's not rocket science. It's called financial aid and making an effort to dig up some scholarships that apply to your talents or interests. I would love to know how they continued to pay the mortgage on that very nice house after her dad lost his job though.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
While it's awesome she earned academic scholarships to SMU, I was kind of wondering about her family's economic crunch as I watched her rehearsing in that beautiful in-home dance studio with dark wood walls and floors. (I can see the living room or family room through the doorway.)

We didn't get much story in the two minutes they were focusing on her. Just enough to give the heartstrings a twang. It's entirely possible her father got another job, maybe even a better paying one. And it's equally possible that the dance studio scene wasn't shot in her home. 

Hey y'all! I finally had the time to watch this episode, but I've been busy taking my daughter to college in Dallas. Better late than never! 

For me personally, the highlight was seeing my daughter's high school dance team's assistant coach audition. She made semis but not finals. Which was annoying, because she is very pretty (was in the Miss America pageant) and is a much, much better dancer than some of the girls we saw make it. But she's kind of quiet and drama free. Her name is Randi and she was wearing a sparkly purple top. She was in the kick line right next to the girl who threw up. My daughter tells me she is planning on moving to Dallas soon so maybe next year.

Off to watch the next two eps! So happy the show is back but sad I have to watch alone.

Kristi Scales, who writes for Star magazine, gives the number each year. It's never 500. Last year it was 300. I cannot remember what she wrote for this year (I remember last year because it was the first time I realized Kelli ups the numbers for the show). I thought they let anyone come to prelims so why would the number change? From what I have read, if you show up that morning, they will let you audition.

So I watched this episode again because they are up to it in their afternoon reruns.

I don't think just anyone can show up and dance. From the website, it looks like an application process is required.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/content/auditions-faq

. Maybe they allow walk ons for entertainment value, not sure.

I noticed they had a woman whose title was something like audition coordinator. She was setting up the girls for their videos for the fan vote.

Edited by rose711

I remember hearing that people can fill out the paperwork the day of the auditions in years past as long as they brought the required documentation and a headshot/full-length shot.  Maybe that's changed this year from years past.  Probably a lot of people apply, but not everyone shows up and that overall number is what's referenced instead of the true number who actuall show up and audition. 

• Love 1

I watch this show because it's hilarious. Amy's crying about not being able to set the date to "marry the man she loves" or whatever she said, because she needs to be a DCC. OMG. Comedy. Boo hoo.

Also, they've done the same dances for 20 years. Why wouldn't these dummies go on you tube (or watch this show) and memorize them before trying out?

• Love 1

Also, they've done the same dances for 20 years. Why wouldn't these dummies go on you tube (or watch this show) and memorize them before trying out?

You reminded me of the season Alyssa Sarasani and Jordan Chanley tried out their first time (Alyssa was cut). There was a scene of either just Alyssa or both girls were practicing with a video. I wondered if they are given that to help them learn the dances during tryouts or what.

McSavaney - there hasn't been 500 applicants for some time.  It's tv.

Colby, as it has been said in the past, is not HD ready.

I wonder how many applicants are rejected and told not to bother attending? The application form is not up for next year yet, but I bet they weed out people who just don't stand a chance. They aren't going to waste the judges time on everyone who applies. I know there are people who they show that don't have a chance, but they don't seem to have a lot of those applicants.

They don't formally weed anyone out at the application stage. There's a fee with the application, and no way they're going to skip that stream of revenue. Applications require a photo,helps them know who to identify for filming (good or bad dancers), requires references, etc. That's also where the waiver is included that lets them do background checks to make sure you're not a mess or a criminal.

Anyone with a lick of sense and a serious desire to be a DCC is going to send in an application early, so the organization has time to pre-screen and build an interest, but if you show up the day of with your fee in hand, you can fill out an application and start that first round of auditions. 

• Love 1

They don't formally weed anyone out at the application stage. There's a fee with the application, and no way they're going to skip that stream of revenue. Applications require a photo,helps them know who to identify for filming (good or bad dancers), requires references, etc. That's also where the waiver is included that lets them do background checks to make sure you're not a mess or a criminal.

Anyone with a lick of sense and a serious desire to be a DCC is going to send in an application early, so the organization has time to pre-screen and build an interest, but if you show up the day of with your fee in hand, you can fill out an application and start that first round of auditions.

Yeah, I wasnt sure about that. I'm not sure why they would waste the judges time with a lot of girls who don't have a chance. I guess if they make money that might be a reason. It's only 90 seconds to dance for the preliminary round.

Do you know how much the application fee is?

Yeah, I wasnt sure about that. I'm not sure why they would waste the judges time with a lot of girls who don't have a chance. I guess if they make money that might be a reason. It's only 90 seconds to dance for the preliminary round.

Do you know how much the application fee is?

The used to have audition info on their website, and I'm linking only $25 or something. Wasn't that much considering. But honestly, between recruiting, encouraging girls to take prep classes, early applications, etc., I doubt if there are more than a handful of truly eligible girls who aren't already screened by the day of auditions.

Just because someone sends in an application, doesn't mean they actually show up and audition, either, so they could easily have a lot of girls who apply and never follow through.

• Love 1

There is also a psychological purpose for allowing anyone to try out. It's right there in the episode title. By having open auditions, every little girl can dream about being a DCC. You don't need a special connection or have to pass a test. Just show up and you have a shot, in theory at least. 

• Love 2
On 8/7/2015 at 2:54 PM, DCCFAN71 said:

Also, thanks to being able to pause live TV, I have seen a lot of looks/exchanges between candidates that make me wonder are they all truly friends...lol

I watched the show last night and I can't help it, but I'm at work watching it again on CMT! Addicted. lol  I always catch other things the second time around.

I am curious- who was exchanging looks?  It would be very interesting to know which girls secretly dislike each other.

On 8/7/2015 at 5:51 PM, Paige turner said:

That's Ashley who cheered for the Chiefs and was a Pro Bowl pick. Wish she would have let it go after last training camp. Instead of being known as that stiff dancer who waddled she should be known as that fantastic KC cheerleader who made it to the top as a Pro bowl rep.

I would kill for Kaitlyn' s luminous skin.

Kaitlin was one of my favorites.  She is SO gorgeous.  As far as Ashley Paige, I could not stand her.  When I watched reruns from the 1st year she tried out Kelly said the girls must be approachable and she did not get that from Ashley.  I totally agree and did not see her being a team player at all, not to mention the stiffness.  Even in her KC Chiefs pictures she looks incredibly stiff.

On 8/11/2015 at 5:07 PM, dccfan37 said:

When did Jordan do this?? I'd be interested to go back and watch

But I'd find it very strange that they would allow singing when they want to showcase dancing

I don't understand that either.  Hello, you are auditioning for a DANCE team!

On 8/11/2015 at 5:07 PM, dccfan37 said:

When did Jordan do this?? I'd be interested to go back and watch

But I'd find it very strange that they would allow singing when they want to showcase dancing

I don't understand that either.  Hello, you are auditioning for a DANCE team!

On 8/13/2015 at 2:20 PM, mardo4 said:

Sheridan, please try out again because you have a great look and otherwise I fear you will be forever refered to a "puke girl".   :(

Sheridan was beautiful!

Colby has to be THE most obnoxious TCC in history. I had to drive through her hometown of Mt. Pleasant, TX everytime I drove up to Oklahoma to see my family. It's a nothing town on I-30. You stop there for gas on your way to wherever you're going on I-30. It cracks me up when people from small towns do something like move to another state or another country and come back with a fake accent. I just finished watching a recent interview with Meghan Markel who's married to the freaking Prince of England and somehow has managed to keep her American accent. LOL! How Colby ever got past prelims is beyond me. Unless they just added her for a unique story line - the girl with the fake everything.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, fozzen said:

Colby has to be THE most obnoxious TCC in history.

She is certainly my least favorite. IDK how she made it past round one. She looks old, she wasn't that great a dancer as far as I can remember, and she didn't have "it" for me at all. My description of her would be trophy wife who is getting on in years and doing whatever she can to try to keep her man/bread winner. 

• Love 2