Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: Dare to Dream

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Watching now, and this Courtney girl looks like the Caitlin? maybe? who barely made the team and was cut the next year. She's going to have weight issues.

Colbi from London *INSERT HUGE EYEROLL* She needs to be a Real Housewife of OC.  She actually reminds me somehow of Kathryn Dunn, except Kathryn wasn't annoying, just very pageanty.

Auto Amy is so pretty but her splits aren't there. Christina's teeth are glowing and Ashley Kansas City looks so muscular.

I'm loving SMU engineer girl Caitlynn, but she's going to have weight issues. Taylor is very pretty, but her kicks suck and she'll have weight issues, too. 

Melissa Rycroft looks so much more polished this year. I wonder if last year, she was instructed not to try to compete with the cheerleaders, so she didn't, and just looked messy. Having a new baby is not an excuse IMO to look a hot mess when your job is to be a TV host. It's not like she was working a 12 hour nursing shift or whatever.

At this point, I cannot fathom why anyone who was seriously about being a DCC would show up at auditions without having full sitting splits, super high kicks and without having taken one of Kitty Carter's prep classes and kissing Kitty's backside. 

I guess I'm in the minority in that I honestly didn't think Melissa looked THAT bad last season. She didn't dress up like Kelly for practices, but I think it's because she was planning to take a more active role as a dance mentor, not just sit back and critique the girls. Hard to know what we didn't see after all the editing. 

I just watched the episode  There were some good dancers, some pretty girls, and there were some pretty girls who could actually dance.  There were some pretty girls who could dance that didn't make it into finals that I wish had.  Auto Amy shouldn't have made it into Finals if her flexibility isn't there.  She also reeks of desperation.  I agree with Melissa (contain your shock and horror, please! lol) that, if your kicks aren't there, you aren't going to make the squad.  I think Kelly and Judy learned from Loni and Kelli Jo that some people just can't learn to kick in the time that is given them, especially under pressure.  Release them and, if they're good the next year, bring them back.  Otherwise don't lead them on and make them think they have a chance.

On another note, have they ever had a girl run off like that before?  I know girls have fallen, maybe even sneaked off before or after they performed, but I've never seen a girl take off in the middle of actually auditioning (especially in kick line) to be sick.  I know she said she wasn't feeling well, but I think the stress got to her enough that she couldn't take it and had to bolt.  If that's the case, she shouldn't be trying out because she's going to be facing a lot more pressure going into finals/Training Camp/being on the squad.  If she folds under pressure, there's no way Kelly and Judy would take her on..  I don't think she made it to finals so that might have solved her problem for her this year.

No she was cut. I felt bad for her and I think you might be assuming it was stress. Maybe she was really was just sick and didn't want to puke right on the floor. I give her the benefit of the doubt. If you're not used to kickline, even Kelli said it can be nauseating. I was hoping they'd give her another shot. 

Sarah Gourley (former DCC) was at semis and tweeted that she held the girl's hair while she threw up.  

One more comment about the earrings (I harp on this as I always thought Melissa had some taste - I've watched her on tv over the years and she usually looks good) -they are too dressy for what she is wearing but also look like they cost $4.99.  Now I'm done.

No she was cut. I felt bad for her and I think you might be assuming it was stress. Maybe she was really was just sick and didn't want to puke right on the floor. I give her the benefit of the doubt. If you're not used to kickline, even Kelli said it can be nauseating. I was hoping they'd give her another shot. 

I missed the part about it being nauseating, though I had heard them say it was exhausting, especially if you weren't used to it.  I wonder what people could do to get used to that part of it for next year, if that's the case.  Hopefully, bumping up the cardio would help, but I can't think of anything else.  Then again, I'm not a dancer who does high-kick line.

Just got around to watching...did anyone else feel like it was the Amy T and Courtney Johnson show?? I felt like they had all the focus! I also agree with previous comments about Amy being shown doing lackluster moves instead of anything impressive. I've never been a Courtney fan so it was disappointing to me that they made her such a big focus.

I would have referred that they focused more on the impressive moves, real standout choreo, or more of the girls in semis who actually rocked it

• Love 1

I missed the part about it being nauseating, though I had heard them say it was exhausting, especially if you weren't used to it.  I wonder what people could do to get used to that part of it for next year, if that's the case.  Hopefully, bumping up the cardio would help, but I can't think of anything else.  Then again, I'm not a dancer who does high-kick line.

She has said it in a previous season that it can be nauseating and very taxing on the body.

We're getting the beauty-pageants-aren't-just-about-looks-because-they-give-scholarships treatment. Two women who have careers that require brains are heavily featured on the opening episode.

Judy made a revealing comment - she's interested primarily in talent and Kelly is interested in looks. Judy's very reserved but I think she showed a little snark there. Or perhaps frustration.

I wonder about some of those judges. What an apparently mixed bag.

• Love 3

Melissa Rycroft looks so much more polished this year. I wonder if last year, she was instructed not to try to compete with the cheerleaders, so she didn't, and just looked messy. Having a new baby is not an excuse IMO to look a hot mess when your job is to be a TV host. It's not like she was working a 12 hour nursing shift or whatever.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I honestly didn't think Melissa looked THAT bad last season. She didn't dress up like Kelly for practices, but I think it's because she was planning to take a more active role as a dance mentor, not just sit back and critique the girls. Hard to know what we didn't see after all the editing. 

She had just had a baby. That's why she was "frumpy."

Just got around to watching...did anyone else feel like it was the Amy T and Courtney Johnson show?? I felt like they had all the focus!

I felt like Courtney got too much play IMO, but she is cute and apparently Charlotte felt she was a favorite... so I bow to Charlotte.

I was interested in Auto Amy's story from previous years so that is why I liked her segment... underdog story. Amy T was new info, new girl and so I thought that was fun. I like learning about the dancers we do not know.

• Love 2

She had just had a baby. That's why she was "frumpy."

No excuse for the gym rat/skank bun and looking like she forgot her lipstick. She had access to stylists galore and hosting/coaching is her JOB. No one else looked that kind of mess on filming nights. None of the girls, and certainly not Kelly or Judy. Even Kitty Carter makes an attempt to do something with her hair. 

You can see Auto Amy's fan vote video here: http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2015/04/10/dcc-amy

She messes up a big part of it and isn't very good at the part she does get right.

That's sad. She's so pretty, and that choreography isn't easy (a little disjointed and all over the place, so not easy to pick up super quickly, IMO). Her kicks are low. I think she could 'fix' everything with a little more time, except if you're not that flexible and kicks are low, not much she can do. Too bad. 

She has said it in a previous season that it can be nauseating and very taxing on the body.

Very long day, physical day, under super bright lights, then they started kicking again, which can kill your mid section. Throw in some nerves, and probably not eating/drinking enough through the busyness of the day, and it's no surprise that more girls don't get sick to their stomachs.

Sorry but Kitty Carter always looks like hot mess to me. I think Melissa's making an effort to look good this year. She's always looked good on other shows she's done. Last year was last year. Time to move on. 

• Love 6

We're getting the beauty-pageants-aren't-just-about-looks-because-they-give-scholarships treatment. Two women who have careers that require brains are heavily featured on the opening episode.

Judy made a revealing comment - she's interested primarily in talent and Kelly is interested in looks. Judy's very reserved but I think she showed a little snark there. Or perhaps frustration.

I wonder about some of those judges. What an apparently mixed bag.

Judy and Kelli have both talked about the kind of girls they look for in seasons past. Kelli has even said herself that Judy looks for technical dancers while Kelli herself looks for the diamond in the rough, so I don't take Judy saying that as negative. They are just different. And honestly if they both looked for the same thing it would be pretty boring. Without Kelli we probably never would have had Jordan Chanley, Nicole Bulcher, etc.

• Love 6

I felt like Courtney got too much play IMO, but she is cute and apparently Charlotte felt she was a favorite... so I bow to Charlotte.

I noticed she didn't mention being an Ice Girl between last years and this years  auditions. In one of the pictures with her mom she was wearing her IG uniform.

There was something else I wanted to say, but I couldn't get the spoiler tag thing to work. What am I doing wrong?

I guess I'm in the minority in that I honestly didn't think Melissa looked THAT bad last season. She didn't dress up like Kelly for practices, but I think it's because she was planning to take a more active role as a dance mentor, not just sit back and critique the girls.

I agree with this. She was a bit dressier for auditions this year, and I think last year too. The casual dress in the studio is more comfortable and perfectly fine for that environment. It also helps emphasize the difference between Melissa's role and Kelli/Judy's role. Melissa needs to be relatable, more of a big sister type, younger and more relaxed than Kelli and Judy. She wants the girls to feel comfortable with her and confide in her about how they are feeling through this process. That's easier to do when she looks more like one of them. There would be a very different dynamic if she strolled into the studio cinched up in a Belk dress and 4" platform heels.

I also don't subscribe to the belief that because someone is a celebrity, they have to be dressed to the nines every time they're on camera. I like that Melissa doesn't feel obligated present a perfect facade.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 7

No excuse for the gym rat/skank bun and looking like she forgot her lipstick. She had access to stylists galore and hosting/coaching is her JOB. No one else looked that kind of mess on filming nights. None of the girls, and certainly not Kelly or Judy. Even Kitty Carter makes an attempt to do something with her hair.

That's sad. She's so pretty, and that choreography isn't easy (a little disjointed and all over the place, so not easy to pick up super quickly, IMO). Her kicks are low. I think she could 'fix' everything with a little more time, except if you're not that flexible and kicks are low, not much she can do. Too bad.

Very long day, physical day, under super bright lights, then they started kicking again, which can kill your mid section. Throw in some nerves, and probably not eating/drinking enough through the busyness of the day, and it's no surprise that more girls don't get sick to their stomachs.

Can you explain what a 'skank bun' is? I'm confused... I thought she was just wearing her hair in a bun.
  • Love 1

I don't think Melissa will fight that hard to be honest for Breelan. I think she knows that Breelan barely made it by the skin of her teeth last year and if she's not better now, there's no sense in arguing with the other judges over it.

I like that we saw some of the kick line in slow motion. Through this whole series, I've never been able to see which kicks were bad and good. The motion is too fast.

It's interesting that we didn't see Christina on the kick line. I've been wondering how her tryout would go...if it was an injury only that got her cut last year. I remember Judy telling her her technique was wrong, and didn't know if the injury caused that critique.

I like that we saw some of the kick line in slow motion. Through this whole series, I've never been able to see which kicks were bad and good. The motion is too fast.

It's interesting that we didn't see Christina on the kick line. I've been wondering how her tryout would go...if it was an injury only that got her cut last year. I remember Judy telling her her technique was wrong, and didn't know if the injury caused that critique.

I'm sure we'll see some part of it next week, especially since she has already made it to TC.

I like Christina, but I think Kelli and Judy didn't buy her (or Vivian) saying they weren't kicking last year because they were injured. Vivian has always seemed somewhat insincere. Christina didn't come off as insincere to me, but being lumped in with Vivian wasn't going to win her any points. As soon as she made the injury excuse, I don't think there was anything she could've done to keep a place in camp. When Kelli and Judy are done, they're done. 

I just thought it was interesting that Auto Amy's was shown and they were not good and Christina's were not shown. Her kicks were bad last year but she could get into the split so hopefully she worked like heck on it! If not I dont think judy will string it along this year if she does not have it.

Usually the ones like Courtney who get featured a lot and  who go on and on about how much they want to be a DCC end up getting cut like she does.

Sad, but true.

We got to see Christina kick for a second. It was her right leg and it looked really good from the fly-by I saw. Didn't get to see the left kick (which is usually the most challenging) or her splits.

• Love 3

I felt the prelims were rushed this year. The music was also ho-hum.  I know they don't get clearance for a lot of what they want to use on the show but a lot of it was re-hashed from previous seasons. I am also wondering how much the powers that be are enjoying the tv crews now that it has been 10 seasons.  I'm sure the bloom has worn off. I am usually excited but this year, not so much.  But let me also say that I would be very disappointed if there was no show.

Edited by caligirl50

Yeah I caught Christina's right kick on the re-watch and I thought it was good. Looked like she had at least gained some flexibility. It'll be interesting to see how she fares next week and if she makes it back to TC. And if not, why not. LOL

I felt the prelims were rushed this year. The music was also ho-hum. I know they don't get clearance for a lot of what they want to use on the show but a lot of it was re-hashed from previous seasons. I am also wondering how much this powers that be are enjoying the tv crews now that it has been 10 seasons. I'm sure the bloom has worn off. I am usually excited but this year, not so much. But let me say that I would be very disappointed if there was no show.

I die on the inside every time they play the "Meet Me In Vegas Tonight" song. It's so bad.

• Love 5

I think the music they play during the prelims is TONS better than the first few seasons. Anyone remember that? Especially S3? It was like watching a lava lamp on acid. It was so bad! Anything after that I consider an improvement. :)

I did think the prelims were a bit rushed this year. Not sure why - could be that the girls all kinda looked the same, so they were just a sea of girls. The kicks overall were better this year, answering the question I've often asked: why do girls come to tryouts and can't kick.  I liked the gymnastics girl, though wonder if she can do more than that odd looking inching-circle with her leg in the air. After Melissa did the high-leg spin last year, that just seemed kinda lame to me. I was impressed with the girl who got a patent on her disc healing piece. She's gonna be rich!  There was another high-leg spinning girl with dark hair, and I liked her. She just seemed genuine and nice - from her facial expression, anyway.

• Love 1
I liked the gymnastics girl, though wonder if she can do more than that odd looking inching-circle with her leg in the air. After Melissa did the high-leg spin last year, that just seemed kinda lame to me.

It's not the prettiest move, but when done well, demonstrates superior flexibility, balance, and control. Not every girl can do it. Which is why all of those who can, do.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3

I thought that inching around in a circle was kinda different.  Thought maybe it was the tennis shoes.  I didn't care for it.   

Last year when they played the "Meet Me in Vegas" tune in the background, you knew the person was going to get cut. :D

Edited by Dopeydwarf

I think Vivian is mentally ill. Even when she auditioned the first year, the fact that she wanted to do that idiotic Tin Man dance had me questioning her sanity. Then she just showed her true colors by the following season. That girl is definitely off. 

I think Vivian is mentally ill. Even when she auditioned the first year, the fact that she wanted to do that idiotic Tin Man dance had me questioning her sanity. Then she just showed her true colors by the following season. That girl is definitely off.

That's a little harsh. I would say more she is just insecure and that's what drives her need to a. Be on a team that is so looked up to as 'perfection' b. Have all her followers on social media c. Look in the mirror all the time

Obviously she shouldn't be but it's something that starts at a young age and is hard to shake.

Edited by RhiRhi
  • Love 3

Armchair psychologist/psychiatrist at work here (and please move to appropriate forum if this ain't it).  There's a lot of insecurity in that girl.  Vivian's own words said that she was "an ugly duckling" and that, through hard work, turned "into a beautiful swan."  I suspect that there was a lot of attention paid to appearances and looks in that household when she was young.  If you get told enough that "if only you were prettier/thinner/whatever" enough, you focus on that instead of your brains, your personality, etc.  Thus, she went through the puberty chubbiness (and being more petite can accentuate the chubbiness/weight issues depending on body type) and was deemed fat/ugly/unpretty.  At least she did slim down in a relatively healthy way, but it seemed to impact her in that she's constantly focusing on her appearance, how she looks, and how "sexy" she is (especially all the so-called sexy moves in her dances that are less than flattering).

I don't see any girls with that sort of focus on looks/sexiness, etc. this time, but time will tell.  I did like gymnast-girl but she could be more fluid and graceful.  At least she's flexible and pretty.  I think she made it to Finals and possible Training Camp.

• Love 2

So glad this show is back on! I didn't have time to read the other threads, but watched the episode and read this thread. My thoughts:

I don't see any standouts at all from this episode. None of them are the the full package lookswise to me - some have really pretty faces, but their bodys aren't great. Like I think Taylor has a beautiful face, but her upper body is just too thick and her legs short and small. Amy from IL has a gorgeous face and a really cute personality but her legs are impossibly short - it's a shame cause she's one of my favorities, but when I saw those full body shots of her dancing I knew there was no way :(. The rythmic gymnast girl has a nice build, but her face isnt DCC material (w/o all the flashy blonde hair and heavy makeup she wouldn't stand out for her looks anywhere). Courtney also has the perfect build and styling, but there is something very non-DCC about her face/smile - it's like her face isn't feminine enough or something? I thought the engineer girl had a decent face, but her stomach and legs look very heavy to me?

Ashley Paige and Christina both annoyed me on their seasons - both of them always seem like they are one second away from crying, even when they are dancing and smiling - they also both have short legs. I'm with Kelli on that one - you just can't pull off a pair of white cowboy boots and shorts w/ short legs ;).

Colby looks like she's had plastic surgery and it ages her - she also seems a little too thin. She just gives me a vibe of an aging housewife with too much money and time on her hands?

I guess I just don't see any of these finalist girls as being serious competition for the veterens. I'm really curious to see who comes back veteran-wise - maybe I'll try the spoiler thread if I can't wait.

Oh, and I have a child in All Star Cheerleading and recognized Cami. I don't know if it's just the set of boards and bloggers that I read, but the understanding that I have of Cami's reputation is that she is known more as a "pretty face" and spokesmodel type of Cheerlebrity and isn't really know for her skills - like she can't fly or tumble anywhere near as well as many of the other famous All Star Cheer girls, and usually does the easier parts in her routines (like she's in the middle of the pyramid smiling and looking pretty and sassy in an easy stunt, while the girls on the sides are doing all the hard stuff, and she doesn't really do any of the harder tumbling, etc.). I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't suprise me at all that she wouldn't do well at the tryout cause I don't think of her as a superior cheerleader/athlete. There's no denying that she has a gorgeous face though - she's a little too thin and her torso a little too long, but her face is so beautiful it makes up for it. I guess we will see what happens with her in the future - like if she tries out again, etc.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 1

It cracked me up that Cami gave that really sultry look and wink to the judges at the end of the routine.

Cami and Sam Finglass have some kind of pact to be DCC together. Sam has a 'face for radio' as my parents would say so don't know how that will turn out

• Love 1

Not trying to be mean, but with all the "heavy" girls Kelli has called about in the past, there's no way Sam would make the team unless she lost 15 lbs.

But of course she would make it anyway. I'm sorry but she does not look like a DCC to me.

• Love 2

I agree with just about everything MyFavShows said. Really didn't see a lot of girls in the first episode who are the full package...BUT I think we will in the next episode.  

I looked up Amy Trader's facebook page and WOW, I wouldn't even have recognized her in her college cheer days! Super tan with chin length BROWN hair.  I seriously had to stare for a minute...what a change! Smart on her part though to morph into long blonde hair since that would be more eye-catching to Kelli (though they've shown they love brunettes too).  

Agree with what EricaShadows said too about Vivian's personality.  Most of the people I know who are super insecure act the complete opposite (as Melissa Rycroft said, "you hide it well" LOL) I really wish she would have done a mission trip or something...anything ot get away from social media and hair and make up and superficial judgment.  I think it would mature her so much and make her a lot more likeable.  

OMG. I wonder if Vivian saw that :0

Thanks for posting it was hilarious. After last season I wished no one would ever mention Vivian again. I think the girls that come back for a second shot with a sense of entitlement do not make it. There are no guarantees just because you are brought back into TC that you will be on the team. Edited by mardo4
  • Love 1

It cracked me up that Cami gave that really sultry look and wink to the judges at the end of the routine.

Yes, that shows DCC potential for certain! We all have bad days and hope she comes back.

re watching the episode (seriously, I have a problem. love my MTT) and I loved Kelli's comment about "get out there in front of us in 1 yard of microfabric and let us have it." Made me smile.

• Love 3

Agree with what EricaShadows said too about Vivian's personality. Most of the people I know who are super insecure act the complete opposite (as Melissa Rycroft said, "you hide it well" LOL) I really wish she would have done a mission trip or something...anything ot get away from social media and hair and make up and superficial judgment. I think it would mature her so much and make her a lot more likeable.

Vivian went on a mission trip, or something like it, last year. I can't remember where because I don't follow her on social media, but there was stuff posted about it...because she posted about her mission trip on social media. Lol.

Eta here are a couple instagrams from her trip. I know this is off subject but I just had to share, heh.

https://instagram.com/p/xrnfH-rGqy/

https://instagram.com/p/xt1_5crGg9/

Edited by Oranaiche

I don't know if it was said but the girl who got the patent, they showed her on a different cheer team with short brown hair (she now has long blonde hair) should most definitely dye her hair back to brown.  Not necessarily cut it but seriously, she was so pretty with the brown hair.  Her blonde hair is meh.  She looks like everyone else now.  

I don't get this blonde obsession.  Kelsey (current DCC) has lightened her hair over the years.  Why?  She looks so much better as a brunette and she has the personality of brunette (if that makes sense). When you are a very light shade of blonde, it washes your features out. Some of the girls actually did look better as a blonde (Tobie Percival) but most look better with darker hair or at least a darker shade of blonde.    

• Love 1