Type keyword(s) to search

Tom Branson: "I Don't See Types, I See People"

I don't see any reason though, why Julian Fellowes didn't write a storyline for him. Heck, Denker and Spratt got one and who cares about them??! It really wasn't that difficult to come up with ideas for a storyline for Tom that would have made sense and contributed to the show overall. Ask on this board and no viewer will have a problem to find potential storylines. Yet Julian Fellowes was unable to find something? What kind of writer is he then??

So true.  For that matter, who needed to see the travails of Edith ad nauseum, or the boring love life of Mary?  Yes, they are major characters with major stories, but too much emphasis was placed on them while taking up screen time that could have been used for a more interesting (in my opinion) character such as Tom.  He was truly wasted in the end.  There were so many directions to take him, and instead he was reduced to Mary's cheerleader.  Or something.  Quite disappointing.

• Love 1

At the end of the day, there is *something* to be said about how from season 1 to season 6, we have seen the Crowleys evolve from people who barely knew their servants' names (like Gwen, who they barely recognized when she visited) to people who almost treat the servants like friends (helping out Mrs Patmore, going to the servants hall to see the puppy, getting Anna the medical help she needed, visiting a recovering Thomas - I remember in one of the first episodes Mary being chastized for going to the servants quarters).

And maybe this is a function of society changing in general from 1912 to 1930s. Or maybe it has something to do with Sybil's marriage to Tom forcing these people to acknowledge him and others like him as human beings.

But I wish the character of Tom had been treated like an end in itself rather than as a means. I would have loved for his end story to be, Tom moves to Boston and becomes a famous writer, or automobile tycoon, or elected official, etc. But that's the American in me. :)

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

The problem with Tom was they should have either not killed off Sybil, or if they were intent to kill, kill her off later on.

Since the actress was leaving the series after Season 3, they couldn't wait too much longer to kill her off. As it is, Sybil died in Episode 5 of S3. Since Matthew was going to die in the Christmas special (the 9th episode), I'm guessing JF didn't want their death episodes too close together.

On 2/24/2016 at 0:53 PM, Mumbles said:

That said I just wish they had gotten rid of Branson a character instead of some sort of "I'm here to help these rich idiots be even more happy" eunuch.

I agree about the lack of character development, but as for the eunuch part...I thought Branson was strongly hinted to end up with Miss Edmunds, Edith's editor. They chatted a bit at the race, and they had this exchange at the wedding:

Branson: ...You saved her life if anyone has.

Miss Edmunds: I'm glad no one blames me for encouraging her to work.

Branson: We like strong women here.

Miss Edmunds: Do you really?

Branson: I can assure you. We like them very much indeed.

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Miss Edmunds also caught the bouquet.

Edith likes her, and she was perfectly polite and gracious when meeting with the Crawleys at the race, so she's already miles ahead of Sarah Bunting.

• Love 2

that said I just wish they had gotten rid of Branson a character instead of some sort of "I'm here to help these rich idiots be even more happy" eunuch.

I agree about the lack of character development, but as for the eunuch part...I thought Branson was strongly hinted to end up with Miss Edmunds, Edith's editor. They chatted a bit at the race, and they had this exchange at the wedding:

Branson: ...You saved her life if anyone has.

Miss Edmunds: I'm glad no one blames me for encouraging her to work.

Branson: We like strong women here.

Miss Edmunds: Do you really?

Branson: I can assure you. We like them very much indeed.

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Miss Edmunds also caught the bouquet.

Edith likes her, and she was perfectly polite and gracious when meeting with the Crawleys at the race, so she's already miles ahead of Sarah Bunting.

We needed Tom in the later seasons to smack these people around and remind them what's important.  The way he laid into Mary over outing Edith being Marigold's mother was wonderful. And he wrote to Violet and told her to get home. 

As much as DA drove me crazy at times, I found myself tearing up all over again at times.  Even when Edith finally came down the staircase in her wedding dress. 

miles ahead of Sarah Bunting.

Sarah Bunting - popcorn kernel stuck in your teeth for two days

Sarah Bunting - weird rash that won't go away

Sarah Bunting - bad hair day

Sarah Bunting - PBS pledge drive hosts trying to sell you Downton Abbey dvds and coasters for $300. 

• Love 2