Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: This Is What It Sounds Like

Tara Ariano

The other thing that I couldn't believe was the hypnotism scene. Um, she was not hypnotized. At all.  She was led through some memory exercises at the most.  The way she kept opening her eyes and looking at both men and responding to both men in real time -- just no way was she hypnotized.  Did he say that was what he was doing was hypnotism?  I missed it if he did. It would not surprise me if the show purported it was though. It'd fall right in with everything else that makes no sense on this show. 

Assuming it *was* hypnotism (Why not?! You're right, it would make as much sense as anything else on this show), what I also noticed was that he never brought her out of the "hypnotic state."  I kept hoping that would pop up later in the episode ~ I don't know, they would be trying to hide quietly somewhere (like the Parisian woman) and all of a sudden Jamie would start screaming, "It was 'KLL'!  Like 'kill'!"

Edited by TeapotDiva

It would make a little sense if the French lady was a relative of Chloe's. Like, her mom or something. Then the bear would be targeting -- and the other animals hive-mind thinking "we shouldn't have sent that lush." 

I thought it was odd that the lady had blood on her clothes and yet didn't really seem to be wounded. Maybe the chicken wasn't fully cooked.

• Love 2

I thought it was odd that the lady had blood on her clothes and yet didn't really seem to be wounded.

I assumed the actress was going for humor when she straightened the bodice of her now-blood-stained-but-formerly-fashionable jacket.
  • Love 1

BRAVO, ottoDbusdriver!  [slow clap]  My head was spinning just reading your description of the Paris bear scene!  For actually recording the sequence(s) of events, you deserve the Légion d'honneur!

Or a job as script supervisor on the show!

• Love 1

BRAVO, ottoDbusdriver!  [slow clap]  My head was spinning just reading your description of the Paris bear scene!  For actually recording the sequence(s) of events, you deserve the Légion d'honneur!

Or a job as script supervisor on the show!

Continuity editor!

I powered through three episodes today.  Where are the animal attacks? 

The bear was pretty adorable; that's why it was able lumber through the 16th district of Paris.  In the French lady's apartment, the bear got aggitated only when she started screaming.  If she stayed calm, it would have shared her bottle of wine. 

Abe is badass, and he's the only one who deserves to survive the animal apocalypse.  He's always drinking and having fun because none of this shit is serious.

Mitch is annoying, and his big reveal about his estranged relationship with his dying daughter doesn't redeem him.  He needs to break the fouth wall to be less of an ass.

His daughter Clem is boring and has no personality.  Ugh, she's dying, so she can use it as a shield when she--oops--forgets that the fence isn't repaired.  The lab retriever is cute, so it'll be hilarious when he attacks her. 

Where is the French dude who's bankrolling this team?  Nobody on this show asks for credentials, e.g., the staff at the prison. 

I was disappointed when the federal agent/Pete Hill was working for Reiden.  I was even more disappointed that Jaime didn't die. 

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 1

For a show about animals taking over, we don't see much of the animals.  I wanted to see the Brentwood cat attack!!!   Animals taking over the planet when the animals are pretty much MIA.  Except for some bats here and there.  And a bear that wandered around Paris without anyone noticing.  Mostly all we see is dumbasses wandering around for?????

• Love 5

For a show about animals taking over, we don't see much of the animals.  I wanted to see the Brentwood cat attack!!!   Animals taking over the planet when the animals are pretty much MIA.  Except for some bats here and there.  And a bear that wandered around Paris without anyone noticing.  Mostly all we see is dumbasses wandering around for?????

Basically, they waste too much time having them travel the world when it should've been more focused on the animal attacks.

• Love 1

I think that Billie Burke needed a paycheck but he is embarrassed to be on this show.

Billy Burke with a -y. Billie Burke with an -ie is Glinda the Good Witch (not "Glenda," annoying-person-from-work, grrr).

I must have a higher tolerance for sarcasm that pretty much every character on this show (and a significant part of the audience, seems like). Every time Mitch says something mildly snarky they all react like he's doing a Lenny Bruce routine in church, gasp!, shock!, how can anyone stand to talk to this person with his non-social skills, goodness gracious! Am I just missing what makes everyone want to kill him? Yeah, he's a smartass, but that's not exactly unusual. Picking fights with hunters and drug lords isn't wise and he should not do that anymore (or at least keep Abe with him at all times), but when Chloe gets snitty over being called out (truthfully, fairly gently, and in private) over having no field experience, and huffs off to whine at Jackson about how awful Mitch is, and that sort of scene happens multiple times with, like, everyone, I'm kind of wondering what the show wants me to be thinking here. I guess... that Mitch is awful? Even though he's totally right and much, much nicer about it than I would be? I can do that, show, but you're going to have to bribe me with more wacky animal attacks. I want killer bunnies, and ninja llamas, and a swarm of goats (I raised goats for years- "swarm" fits better than "herd" when they're touchy). Oh, and bring back the kid-eating tree cats. That's the only way I'll buy this nonsense.

Edited by justjoan
  • Love 2

Picking fights with hunters and drug lords isn't wise and he should not do that anymore

Heh. But unwise decisions are one of our crack team's most interesting traits. I can't imagine that they'll stop being who they are any time soon.

• Love 1

Heh. But unwise decisions are one of our crack team's most interesting traits. I can't imagine that they'll stop being who they are any time soon.

It's all they can do.

The Mitch character has overtaken Irritating Flinty Voiced Reporter Lady as my least favourite character on the show.  It seems obvious that the actor is disgusted to be on this show.  If so.... then don't take the job in the first place.  Drop out or something.  The dialogue is terrible but his delivery of it is awful.

The bear attack scene was great, but I feel like we missed so many parts.  One minute she drops the casserole dish and screams and cowers in the corner.  The next she appears to be bloody and hides in the wine cellar.  Presumably, the bear clawed her.  How come he only got one swipe at her shoulder and one at her stomach?  How did she get away?  One minute she's in the cellar.  The next there are policemen telling her it's going to be OK.  What happened?  Did the bear fall asleep and she got her phone?  Did neighbours call the police? 

How did the bear open the sliding door?  She seemed surprised it was open.  Did nobody in the 16th arrondisement notice a bear wandering the streets, climbing up the walls of an apartment building, and breaking and entering?  Also, where are all the other bears?  These animals all seem to be affected, how come there isn't a Bear Pack terrorizing the city?

I'm surprised that they killed the bad FBI guy and the creepy psycho prisoner.  I was sure that the prisoner was going to be the primary antagonist all the way to the end.

I so completely don't care about precious little dying blonde girl, her angsty mother, and whether Mitch gets to talk to her.  I hate when shows introduce heartstring kids.  Frankly, I hope her dog eats her.  It will save her family lots of medical expenses.  And then she doesn't have to sell her puffy winter jacket at the garage sale for $2.  

Chloe mentioned the Antarctic Lesbians last week, but still have no idea how she found out about them.

I think maybe Sinister French Guy must have teleported there and back and found out about them, popped in to Rio, and left.  I miss him and his amazing powers.

• Love 1

I think that Billie Burke needed a paycheck but he is embarrassed to be on this show. 

The guy used to be on Revolution and was part of the Twilight franchise.  I don't think he gets embarrassed.

It would make a little sense if the French lady was a relative of Chloe's. Like, her mom or something. Then the bear would be targeting -- and the other animals hive-mind thinking "we shouldn't have sent that lush." 

I'm thinking she may be have some connection to Chloe otherwise this shit is just way too random.  

Also, the hive mind that's guiding the attacks isn't very efficient.  First, sending bats all the way to Antarctica to kill two women.  Now, it's sending a bear through Paris to commit a half ass attack.  Unless the zoo or circus was literally right next to the woman's house there's no way that bear was able to roam the streets without someone spotting it.  A less noticeable animal like a large dog would've made more sense.

Where is the French dude who's bankrolling this team?  Nobody on this show asks for credentials, e.g., the staff at the prison. 

An American played by Carl Lumbly is bankrolling the team.  The French guy is his right hand man whom I'm assuming is the recruiter/information gatherer.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 1

The guy used to be on Revolution and was part of the Twilight franchise.  I don't think he gets embarrassed.

Exactly, he should be used to collecting paychecks on awful projects.  :P.

I so completely don't care about precious little dying blonde girl, her angsty mother, and whether Mitch gets to talk to her.  I hate when shows introduce heartstring kids.  Frankly, I hope her dog eats her.  It will save her family lots of medical expenses.  And then she doesn't have to sell her puffy winter jacket at the garage sale for $2.

I am so with you on this.  I love being mean on the internet. : )

• Love 1

In case you missed it, here's the Previously.TV post on the episode!

Bear With Me / Our new Zoo correspondent has a few questions for the Croo.

So, wait. The Parisian lady survived the bear attack in her kitchen?

Yes, by crawling into her very spacious pantry. (Jealous!) But she did suffer two indistinct wounds that seemed less and less life-threatening with each passing minute.

...And to show how insignificant those bear-induced wounds were, she literally smoothed her hands over a gigantic bloody patch on her designer jacket, as if more concerned about how the jacket looked.

This reminds me of the scene right after the FBI agent beat the crap out of Pretty Boy's face. Abe looks at his friend's face and says, "Who did this to you?" which elicits from James Wolk's still pretty face a troubled look of "Oh crap. I was supposed to go to make-up for wounds and bruises before this scene. I guess this is why."

FWIW, haters are free to hate, but I am still loving Billy Burke in this. Hopefully y'all won't get to say "told ya so" after next week.

But I do agree, the cute dying kid is a little over the top.

• Love 4

you're going to have to bribe me with more wacky animal attacks I want killer bunnies, and ninja llamas, and a swarm of goats...

I totally agree.  Where are the animals?  Nobody trampled by a herd of stampeding terrapins?  Nobody eaten by axolotls?  Nobody squashed by a shoal of shrimp?  No marauding zebras?  Where are the zebras?

• Love 3
This reminds me of the scene right after the FBI agent beat the crap out of Pretty Boy's face. Abe looks at his friend's face and says, "Who did this to you?" which elicits from James Wolk's still pretty face a troubled look of "Oh crap. I was supposed to go to make-up for wounds and bruises before this scene. I guess this is why."

After being pummeled by Agent Shaffer, all Jackson had was a big scratch at the top of his forehead.  I don't even think he has hit in the forehead.

• Love 2

No wonder Billy Burke just wants to be a lone wolf (sorry) veterinary pathologist if he keeps running into people like the rest of the crew (minus Abe).

On the other hand it took you how long to realize you should be repelling bats not attracting them?

I think the French "police" were from that secret agency that recruited the team.

• Love 2
An American played by Carl Lumbly is bankrolling the team.  The French guy is his right hand man whom I'm assuming is the recruiter/information gatherer.

Thanks.  I vaguely remember him on the show.  To me, he'll alway be the voice of Martian Manhunter.

The Mitch character has overtaken Irritating Flinty Voiced Reporter Lady as my least favourite character on the show.  It seems obvious that the actor is disgusted to be on this show.  If so.... then don't take the job in the first place.  Drop out or something.  The dialogue is terrible but his delivery of it is awful.

Flinty Voiced Reporter Lady is the worst.  I can't stand that she's right about EvilCorporation. 

I don't like the Mitch character because he's disgusted by everything about this show.  Break the fourth wall, dude.  Have fun with it.  Take a lesson from Abraham, who's having fun and knows that none of this shit is serious.  Maybe Mitch would be more likeable.  I wonder if he's disgusted when he cashes his paycheck. 

I so completely don't care about precious little dying blonde girl, her angsty mother, and whether Mitch gets to talk to her.  I hate when shows introduce heartstring kids.  Frankly, I hope her dog eats her.  It will save her family lots of medical expenses.  And then she doesn't have to sell her puffy winter jacket at the garage sale for $2.

I wish that her dog was a puppy.  It's inevitable that she's going to be attacked by her dog, but it will be awesome for her to be mauled by a puppy. 

I can't stand little precocious, sick girl.  I would go to that garage sale and barter down her puffy coat  to $1 just to be mean.

Nonso Anozie and James Wolk deserve better than this show.  Anozie because he was the awesome Renfield on Dracula.  Wolk because he's so pretty.  The Crazy Ones highlighted how pretty he is. 

• Love 3

Anonzie played a prominent character in Tut as well.  I'd like to see more of him.  I call him big sexy.

James Wolk will always be Bob Benson from Mad Men to me. 

No wonder Billy Burke just wants to be a lone wolf (sorry) veterinary pathologist if he keeps running into people like the rest of the crew (minus Abe).

Definitely better off that way.

• Love 1

I wish that her dog was a puppy.  It's inevitable that she's going to be attacked by her dog, but it will be awesome for her to be mauled by a puppy.

I was going to comment on the dog, but then I couldn't remember the breed. Did you know that if you Bing search for 'Zoo tv dog," you get a bunch of bestiality sites?

Anyway, if it's a Golden Retriever, the kid is safe.

• Love 1

I'm beginning to think the animals' master plan is to cause a little havoc, sit back, watch humans go nuts and kill each other, then cause a little more havoc to start the process again.

Still waiting for the rhino to attack the a$$**** who tried to poach him. I'm not going to forget,Zoo...please get on this.

Really thought owls were going to attack Jamie and Lou when I heard all the hooting...but no. More stupid humans.

On a random note, I love that they used a commercial to support the cause of stopping the poaching of animals. RIP Cecil.

Edited by English Teacher
  • Love 2

So no death by animal again this week! Come on animal kingdom, you can do better than a lazy bear that is more interested in wine that human flesh! Can't we at least have a herd of cattle run amok?

• Love 1

Weirdly, the most unrealistic thing that kept occurring to me while watching those scenes was the refrigerator.  That was a huge American refrigerator in a Parisiain home. That just bugged me no end. Not that it couldn't happen, but years of watching House Hunters International tells me 'no'.  

If you lookup https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_arrondissement_of_Paris you will find: 

• With its ornate 19th century buildings, large avenues, prestigious schools, museums and various parks, the arrondissement has long been known as one of French high society's favorite places of residence (comparable to New York's Upper East Side or London's Kensington and Chelsea) to such an extent that the phrase "le 16e" has been associated with great wealth in French popular culture.

So I don't think having a large fridge is out of line. I mean when you compare this to all the other non-sequiturs and ill-logic its fine.

I do hope that at least some of the animal attacks are somehow being directed: making the Paris bear attack, Antarctic lesbian attack, the wolf-prison break not random events but being conducted for a purpose. Maybe the other attacks are random but I hope that there are some such as those I just mentioned that are being controlled.

I would think that Dr Oz would be behind it, and that maybe Animal-Manson was a protege or minion of his. But more likely there will not be any semblance of logic for the whole show and we'll just be left with unsatisfactory or no answers.

Edited by dlr
  • Love 1

I'm starting to think that anything is possible.  Dr. Oz is alive and living on Antarctica.  He is behind the unleashing of When Animals Attack because he was tired of being disrespected.  He sent the bats to kill his wife Tamlyn Tomita because he didn't want her finding out about him.  He killed the Antarctic Lesbians with his bats because the other day they almost drove their Snocat right into his underground bunker.

• Love 1

I'd like to understand what happened with Lee Harvey Animanson.  The character's end was abrupt and disconnected from his prior trajectory.  When he stole the mother cell, I was sure he was going to use it to create rapid dispersal weapon to hasten the animal apocalypse and restore the world to its natural Garden of Eden state. But no. Suddenly he's distressed about his lot in life and simply wants a cure -- attitudes that had never been reflected in his previous behaviour.  Did the actor get called away to an urgent meeting? Did he fart too much?

• Love 3

I totally agree.  Where are the animals?  Nobody trampled by a herd of stampeding terrapins?  Nobody eaten by axolotls?  Nobody squashed by a shoal of shrimp?  No marauding zebras?  Where are the zebras?

I Want Killer Zebras! I've been waiting since the first episode. I Want Killer Zebras Now!
  • Love 1

Those French bears are CANDYASSES.  Did you see those tiny little wounds on that French bitch (also, did you notice her hair was in a FRENCH TWIST?? so FRENCHY).  An American bear would have taken her whole face off with one paw swipe.  Seriously, how did the bear manage to do so little damage, even if that's what he was trying to do?  Have you ever seen a bear's paw, for christ's sake? Thank god French Twist had her candle snuffer and her muffin pan to fend off that CANDY ASS FRENCH BEAR.

My favorite scene in the whole episode was the plane dropping the deadly poison over Rio.  Bravo, CBS - you went way beyond the laughable SyFy channel caliber CGI effects we're all used to and went old school on us - that plane over the city could have come directly out of a diorama in the New York World's Fair  - 1964 OR 1939.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

So I haven't had cable or internet for two weeks.  Haven't seen this episode.  Haven't read the thread yet.  While I am still totally unspoiled, I just have to say...

If doves fly out of Antartica to weep and poop on the populations of the world creating some kind of gross purple rain, I will love this show forever.

• Love 2

If doves fly out of Antartica to weep and poop on the populations of the world creating some kind of gross purple rain, I will love this show forever.

I wish! Stop wasting your cheesy potential, show!

(I admit it took me a while to make the connection between the title and an animal.)

• Love 1

Late to the party here.  I was laughing at the bear strolling behind French lady like he was her cat or something.  Though if she had a cat attacking her, it would have been way more threatening than the bear, who obviously just wanted some wine.  Never mind how he snuck in through the door she found open? I guess? He used the knob or latch? And it looked like a regular people size door, he walked right in without breaking anything?

The best part of the kind-of-bear-attack though was at the end when the French policeman is incredulous that the bear is hibernating.  In Spring? he asks.  Not "never mind, how the f did that bear get here, etc etc"  He's all "a bear hibernating in spring!! mon dieu!!" ok that was added by me but still.

Another hilarious moment was Jackson raving at bloody eye, screaming wolfguy "you knew my father!!" OK, Luke Skywalker, he's probably not going to tell you much right then.  Still it's James Wolk, and I do like how in every other scene they've carefully curled a lock of hair over his forehead.

Nonso Anozie and James Wolk deserve better than this show.  Anozie because he was the awesome Renfield on Dracula.  Wolk because he's so pretty.  The Crazy Ones highlighted how pretty he is.

I agree.  If we had, you know, animals ATTACKING, as promised, this show would be so much more fun :(  Everyone's so earnest, or annoying, or both, it would totally work if there were the killer zebras, the cats attacking from trees, rhinos in the streets,,,but all we get is a drunken bear and some bats.  I'm very disappointed, Zoo. 

Oh I did feel badly for Dr Optometrist, who had his lunch interrupted to do impromptu needlework, managed to keep his cool on the phone and ended up getting killed by faux (or rogue?) FBI agent/Reiden whatever.  RIP Dr Opto, you almost made it.

Speaking of now-dead FBI, shouldn't reporter and James Wolk be held for questioning?  Did they just leave him there? And damn, talk about shoot to kill, kill, kill!  Maybe mysterious guy who put the team together covered it up?  Where are the animals attacking????

Edited by raven

As for the solution with the bats .. WTF? Are they going to set up Oscillators in every city in the region ? Because if not that's a super short term solution. Also won't that drive the dogs crazier ?

It's the first "solution" or at least, weapon, they've shown so far. Sound waves can be directed up and out for future bat attacks (so dogs wouldn't necessarily hear them). But that's, of course, assuming a logic and follow through I'm not sure we'll see on this show.

Seriously, with a knack for simply paying attention to details, how tough can it be ?

Speaking as a person whose job involves details - it's not necessarily the continuity person's fault. She (or he) could be pointing the errors and the powers that be can be shrugging and saying things like "no one will notice," "it would cost too much to do it again," etc. I picture the person with this responsibility as frazzled, hair standing on end like they've been shocked, and smoking like a chimney  from the stress of being a detail person on a show that's detail light.

Those French bears are CANDYASSES.  Did you see those tiny little wounds on that French bitch (also, did you notice her hair was in a FRENCH TWIST?? so FRENCHY).  An American bear would have taken her whole face off with one paw swipe.  Seriously, how did the bear manage to do so little damage, even if that's what he was trying to do?  Have you ever seen a bear's paw, for christ's sake? Thank god French Twist had her candle snuffer and her muffin pan to fend off that CANDY ASS FRENCH BEAR.

Every step the French woman took, I was going "oh, look how French. How RICH French. Look, a net bag. (was there a baguette, I think so)  Look, she pours herself a glass of wine immediately. And yes, the french twist. But apparently with no nose or ears. You know, I didn't even get that she was using a candle snuffer. Tells you how fancy my house is. LOL.

Jaime actually did two things I approved of, to my amazement. The Facebook ruse to find Manson-lite was pretty good. And unloading that pistol into Faux/Bad FBI guy satisfied my blood thirst for fictional deaths. 

I believe Abe shot a round towards the floor, and that's what triggered (unintentional, but not bad, pun) the bats' assist.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 4

Speaking as a person whose job involves details - it's not necessarily the continuity person's fault. She (or he) could be pointing the errors and the powers that be can be shrugging and saying things like "no one will notice," "it would cost too much to do it again," etc. I picture the person with this responsibility as frazzled, hair standing on end like they've been shocked, and smoking like a chimney  from the stress of being a detail person on a show that's detail light.

You may be right @clanstarling -- the most obvious example of the "no one will notice," "it would cost too much to do it again," etc. that being the scene that that they flipped.  

But the deal with the fridge pulling a Chumbawumba -- it got knocked down, it got up again -- was a bit ridiculous and kind of lazy by the producers.

• Love 4

You may be right @clanstarling -- the most obvious example of the "no one will notice," "it would cost too much to do it again," etc. that being the scene that that they flipped.  

But the deal with the fridge pulling a Chumbawumba -- it got knocked down, it got up again -- was a bit ridiculous and kind of lazy by the producers.

I'll double-down on the "Kind of lazy."  I hate sloppy work like that, even for a popcorn show like this one. Thank you for that great analysis you did on that scene.

• Love 1

I believe Abe shot a round towards the floor, and that's what triggered (unintentional, but not bad, pun) the bats' assist.

I think we saw Abe briefly glancing at the bats underneath the ceiling when entering the workshop. Looked to me like he fired the shot specifically to trigger them. Since it's Abe and not one of the other jokers I'm willing to give him credit for some tactical skills.

• Love 3

I'm loving snarky Mitch.  Never saw BB before but like him.  I do like the WTF looks he gets....and IA it's half character/half actor knowing what he's in.  But....hey.  It's got us all talking and he's working.

Gotta go back and watch the bear attack again.  Thanks for the breakdown otto.  I watched last night but was about half-asleep...*that's my story and I'm sticking to it*

You guys are cracking me up.

Love bad-ass Abe and Jackson is just yummy.  I'm glad FBI dude didn't hurt his purdy face.

I was yelling at the tv for 10 minutes:  "Make something to repel them, dumbasses!".  (the bats)

• Love 4

I'm loving snarky Mitch.  Never saw BB before but like him.  I do like the WTF looks he gets....and IA it's half character/half actor knowing what he's in.  But....hey.  It's got us all talking and he's working.

Billy Burke was equally snarky in 'Revolution' as Miles Matheson -- one of the brighter spots on a pretty bad show.

• Love 4

It's the first "solution" or at least, weapon, they've shown so far. Sound waves can be directed up and out for future bat attacks (so dogs wouldn't necessarily hear them). But that's, of course, assuming a logic and follow through I'm not sure we'll see on this show.

Yeah it's a weapon currently in the fava (sp?) with them being the only ones in the know about it. They never did actually tell the Rio agents what they did or why they were doing it. Also I still don't know what that chemical weapon did to the environment.  Wasn't that supposed to be a dangerous option they were trying to avoid ?

I think we saw Abe briefly glancing at the bats underneath the ceiling when entering the workshop. Looked to me like he fired the shot specifically to trigger them. Since it's Abe and not one of the other jokers I'm willing to give him credit for some tactical skills.

Of course if he wasn't a main character the bats would be swarming him too.. Contrivance and all.

• Love 1

The only ones I'm interested in seeing on other shows after this laughably stupid show is over, are Abraham and the FBI square head.

I'm torn between hoping James Wolk goes back to making critically acclaimed TV shows after this turkey gets cancelled and hoping that it torpedoes his career to the point that Chippendales is his only remaining option.

I'm torn between hoping James Wolk goes back to making critically acclaimed TV shows after this turkey gets cancelled and hoping that it torpedoes his career to the point that Chippendales is his only remaining option.

I must admit - this is quite the conundrum!