Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: You Say You Want an Evolution / S02:E07: The Other

Lucy is definitely thinking robots against the world. Her view of humans is pretty negative. How did she learn so much so fast about human behavior anyway? Did they program her that way? Anyway, she's definitely not going to start sympathizing with the human condition anytime soon.

Totally not shocked that she tried to seduce Charlie. Glad he kept his hormones in check and stopped things from going too far.

Now that the aliens can procreate without killing the mother, how did they manage that anyway. Have their reproduction spores evolved? I definitely think JD's daughter is pregnant with an alien baby. Why else would their be so much focus on her pregnancy?

One thing that helped her learn about human behavior was the Machiavelli she was reading.  I am still wondering who she was talking to in thin air in that scene though.

She's actually a new character this season for this storyline.  As for the backstory, I guess she's supposed to be a government type cliche.

Yes, and actually she is the exception that proves a rule about this show that makes it especially good IMO: most of the antagonists have legitimate viewpoints.  We have seen no sign that Toby is EEEvil, and the same goes for the hybrids despite their being on opposite sides.  Lucy, too, is showing worrying signs--but her desire for AI rights also seems justifiable.  Anna, however (assuming she did have John killed, which I think is a given) is just unredeemable.

Totally off topic'ish here, I was tickled pink to see Tara playing with Magformers. it's a staple in our home and it made me chuckle to think that Magformers may be such a huge deal in 2140 or whenever this is happening, that even the little hybrid kiddos have them.

I think this is supposed to be only about 40 years in the future.

Anyone else wondering about Molly and her random telekinesis? Did the other Hybrids ever display telekinesis ? All I remember is AB hallucinating his enemies into shooting each other instead of at him, nothing about telekinesis.

Yes, her son showed the ability to shatter glass in S1, and then in the first episode of S2 he used telekinesis to close the door when he was in that couple's house with their baby.  But what telekinesis did Molly display?

Okay, I guess that could explain why they had Lucy do such a turnaround from purposely letting Molly go, even when she could see that Molly's hybrid status was "inconclusive," to being eager to kill her by the end of the episode.  But I didn't personally pick up on that as a motive because Molly had pretty much nothing to do with any of the policies at Humanichs, now or ever.  Unless the writers are going to do a huge retcon and say that Molly suggested to John that he give all the robots an expiration date, Lucy's anger makes no sense.

I think this is missing an important plot development between the two scenes.  When Lucy saw her at the office, and got the inconclusive readings on whether she was human or hybrid, Molly was "Ethan's mom" as well as being a valued virus researcher for the government.  When Lucy later had Molly in her sights, Molly had in the interim become Public Enemy #1, all over TV being labelled as a terrorist and so on.

Is it just me or was it intimated that the hybrid babies were supposed to be scary looking hence why it was always skittering in the shadows? Did they change their development since then or was it a result of early extraction like premature babies looking different from a fully developed baby. 

It's a good question.  I think part of it was that the writers last season weren't yet sure where they were going with that storyline.  But another possibility is that other than the first one who was 50% human, 50% alien, the subsequent generation has been 75% human.

Other thoughts I jotted down:

I gave some thought to the idea that the scary elevator scene was caused by Ethan, but I decided it was more likely that Anna set that up as a little warning ("consequences") to Julie that she'd better shut up and mind her knitting.

If Molly and the Chinese woman both have that rare Kilimanjaro gene, does that mean other women who give birth to hybrid babies will not become hybrids themselves?

That last scene between J.D. and Molly made me think they are never seeing each other again. I fear for J.D.'s life.

The first season borrowed liberally from 2001 and Solaris; now with the expiration date we see echoes of the replicants in Blade Runner. That four year lifespan felt tragic for the replicants, but if it is the same length as a human life in this show, it doesn't bother me nearly as much. However, that might just be my human bias showing through!

Isn't it weird that the Huck Finn book is just a paperback like you would see you today? Have we seen any other paper on the series?

Well, the aliens may have an urge to procreate, but maybe the human women did not/does not. Not every woman wants a kid (points at self). I would be PISSED if, say using two forms of BC (because want to be 100%) with the significant other, who really is an alien, and I still got "accidently" knocked up. Royally pissed. Not here for that. So it can be construed as a form of rape - the woman was not with her actual mate, and the woman may not have wanted to get knocked up, therefore against her will.

Reminds me of the X-Files episode "Small Potatoes". Very similar, actually.

Also, with Molly. The alien need to procreate is making her hook up with some people at a bar that otherwise she wouldn't give the time of day. That seems against her human will.

We don't know if the women who got pregnant used birth control or not so it's hard to tell if their desires are being countermanded. People do have unsafe sex without a condom. As for the mating it sounded like previous Dead Mother saw a face of a different guy when she hooked up with (presumably) Adu, at least she never mentioned using any form of birth control.

I'm not sure if the Hybrids have super sperm that ignores birth control measures or simply that the women they're having casual sex with aren't using any birth control. There is that anecdotal statistic that 1 out of 10 men are raising children that aren't theirs without even knowing.

As for Molly I'm not sure if that's a case of alien hormones eg alien puberty or alien telepathy. The latter would be much more rapey obviously. The first would be the equivalent of nocturnal beer goggles. It seemed like a good idea at the time... but in the harsh light of day it's coyote ugly.

Yes, her son showed the ability to shatter glass in S1, and then in the first episode of S2 he used telekinesis to close the door when he was in that couple's house with their baby.  But what telekinesis did Molly display?

I thought Molly exploded the mirror in the background during her argument with Hybrid Magneto hence why their argument ended because she displayed her mental strength. Admittedly with telekinesis it's hard to tell who is responsible for what...

• Love 1

Yes, and actually she is the exception that proves a rule about this show that makes it especially good IMO: most of the antagonists have legitimate viewpoints.  We have seen no sign that Toby is EEEvil, and the same goes for the hybrids despite their being on opposite sides.  Lucy, too, is showing worrying signs--but her desire for AI rights also seems justifiable.  Anna, however (assuming she did have John killed, which I think is a given) is just unredeemable.

Toby seems to be an old friend of Molly's so that's why he's not evil.

• Love 1