Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Broken Child

Good grief. Because evil children aren't bad enough, now they have to wear creepy masks too?

I really don't understand this flood of children with no conscience. Seriously this creeper kid just stands there and watches someone get electrocuted without flinching in the slightest?  Meanwhile his sister is stabbing people with syringes? No way that regular kids their age would go along with shit like this just to play a "game", right? I fear for humanity. Meanwhile, how did that kid manage to extubate himself?

I also think I missed something in the beginning because I don't understand how Drill's BFF Lena, who spent the last episode shooting people at Drill's request, is not only wandering around outside of jail but also trusted with the inner workings of the investigation. How stupid are these people?

• Love 11
(edited)

I missed the first 10 minutes -- why wasn't Lena arrested for shooting Thomas ?  It sure wasn't an "accident".  Does Wes have that much pull with local authorities ?

Rollins gets taken out by a little blonde girl in the elevator. Since they know that Drill is controlling children to do his bidding, why wasn't Rollins suspicious of any child that comes within spitting distance ?  This girl and her brother are not good actors either -- they make Harper look like Meryl Streep.  That mask is just stupid too. 

Wes, Claire and Lena search the mental hospital for Thomas' room based on a photo they found in his house -- and Lena just happens to run into the rabbi that took the photo from over 30 years ago.  Is he the resident rabbi and is on-premises at all times ? Somehow they manage to find a painting on the wall that was under the wallpaper of Thomas killing his brother and the tree where he did it.

Sean and the Dr. take Thomas into an area of the hospital under construction, and despite Sean shutting down all the power breakers for the area this kid manages to turn them back.  Even though there is no way he would have reached them all -- he's not tall enough.  And for good measure, the little kid sneaks into the room with Thomas, locks the door and electrocutes Thomas since he won't answer Drill's questions -- and kills him.  Why isn't this kid being arrested for murder ?

But we do get the backstory on how Thomas killed the first Drill back in 1982 -- lightning strike while Drill was possessing his brother's body.

Quick question -- are all these aliens each called Drill, kind of like Q on Star Trek ?

President Chip Winters is back -- and SecDef poses the question if he can give the order to kill one child to save the planet ?  Dun, dun, dun, dun !!!

ETA: That little roar moment by Lily Rabe was pretty badly acted.

Watched the first 10 minutes -- SecDef fixed everything with the shooting.  So no consequences whatsoever.

How did Rollins let that little girl onto the elevator after she gave him that creepy stare from her brother's hospital room ?  He should have pulled his gun on her the moment her hand blocked the elevator doors.

Defibrillators don't deliver a continuous charge -- so unless Drill was screwing with it's operation, that was kind of bullshit.

Someone should tell Sean Bennigan that fire hose cabinets are not locked -- there was no reason to break the glass other than dramatic effect.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this episode.  The children (especially the girl) with the paper plate mask was some scary shit.

I see nothing of Kristen Connolly's (sp?) Zoo character in Lena and vice versa.  That's a good thing.  Neither character is my favorite on their respective shows but I like TW's character a little better.  

• Love 1

How stupid are these people?

Dumber than the emotionless kids, that's for sure.

I missed the first 10 minutes -- why wasn't Lena arrested for shooting Thomas ?  It sure wasn't an "accident".  Does Wes have that much pull with local authorities ?

This show sure came back with even more stupidity, between plot Rabbi, possessing kids, and the start of an evil Prez.

I see nothing of Kristen Connolly's (sp?) Zoo character in Lena and vice versa.  That's a good thing.  Neither character is my favorite on their respective shows but I like TW's character a little better.

Anything would look better than a brain dead moron.

That mask is just stupid too.

They're trying way too hard trying to make mundane things scary and suspenseful.  First it was flickering lights, now masks.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

So Lena gets off scot free because she was part of some 2-for-1 deal with Wes? She couldn't be any more unbearable this episode. You shot someone bitch, get off your friggin' high horse and stop saying you were saving (freakishly annoying) daughter.

• Love 8

Am I in the minority for actually liking this show and not hate watching it?

It is by no means the greatest show ever but it is a passable and creepy thriller. I like some of the themes abd I like creepy children and the scene with Thomas and the boy was well done.

I like this show.

• Love 9

So Lena gets off scot free because she was part of some 2-for-1 deal with Wes? She couldn't be any more unbearable this episode. You shot someone bitch, get off your friggin' high horse and stop saying you were saving (freakishly annoying) daughter.

Thank you, I got sick and tired of her screeching this out and trying to have a pity party for herself throughout the episode.  Hands down the worst character.

• Love 1

This was almost worth it : (almost) : 

Claire : "We've all done things we wish we could take back."

Lena : "I was trying to save my daughter. What's your excuse, ho?"  (the 'ho' was implied, I'm sure..) 

It felt, to me, like a filler episode -- tho I admit to not paying full attention to all the talking and explaining and talking. I know the original Driller Killer is dead and the president may have start killing children, you know, for the sake of humanity..

As someone mentioned above, I find it hard to believe that the average child would go along with a 'game' that causes people to get hurt -- I think even young children have a concept of things that can cause pain and injury to others. 

• Love 2

My guess and this is comes from watching enough of these kinds of thrillers (and liking them) is that Drill is going to possess either Henry or Minx (probably Henry).

As for the average child going along with the game: of course they would. It's a game. And from what I can see a pretty fun one with real actions and reactions. You do something and this happens. Kids love games if course at some point most would realize it's not a game but like the boy who blew up his mother or Henry or Thomad at that point they are to far in the game to stop playing it.

• Love 2

This was almost worth it : (almost) :

Claire : "We've all done things we wish we could take back."

Lena : "I was trying to save my daughter. What's your excuse, ho?"  (the 'ho' was implied, I'm sure..)

The fact that she's trying to imply her being a dumbass trying to kill someone is somehow better than being a cheater.  XD

• Love 3
(edited)
My guess and this is comes from watching enough of these kinds of thrillers (and liking them) is that Drill is going to possess either Henry or Minx (probably Henry).

Oh, it's definitely going to be Henry -- just so we can get more of Lily Rabe's bad overacting.

ETA:

As someone mentioned above, I find it hard to believe that the average child would go along with a 'game' that causes people to get hurt -- I think even young children have a concept of things that can cause pain and injury to others.

That causes people to get hurt -- and killed.  Thomas is dead.  The therapist that was riding his bike that was killed. Thomas was shot by Lena.  Harper nearly killed her mother from that fall from the treehouse -- she really should have died from that fall.  That little blonde girl could have killed Rollins -- since children aren't all that familiar with how needles work, she could have pushed an air bubble into him and he could have died right there.  Plus, where does a child get a needle chock full of sodium pentathol -- that stuff is normally locked up, so she would have to had to have found the needle, and the vial (in a presumably locked cabinet), and filled the needle.  Without anyone seeing her.  On the children's ward.  Because that is atypical behavior for a kid.

I'm still surprised that any of the adults still leave their kids with babysitters when they know that their children are being controlled by a dangerous foe.  They should be locked up under strict observation at all times -- including the use of that infrared camera they used a couple of episodes ago so they know when Drill is around.  I'm just surprised that all the babysitters aren't dead.

The problem is that these kids just don't come off as menacing.  And I don't think that Minx or Henry were even in this episode -- instead we get this new girl and her brother in the hospital.  Once again, Rollins knew enough to check out the children's ward in the hospital, but didn't have the sense to get more agents in there to lock that place down so none of the kids could build pipe bombs or do anything malicious.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

They should be locked up under strict observation at all times -- including the use of that infrared camera they used a couple of episodes ago so they know when Drill is around.

They know what's going on and yet nothing is done, no one is even looking out for these kids while they go along with Drill's games.

The problem is that these kids just don't come off as menacing.

Exactly and the show keeps trying to make them and flickering lights and masks as scary and suspenseful when they're not.

• Love 1

As for the average child going along with the game: of course they would. It's a game. And from what I can see a pretty fun one with real actions and reactions. You do something and this happens. Kids love games if course at some point most would realize it's not a game but like the boy who blew up his mother or Henry or Thomad at that point they are to far in the game to stop playing it.

It probably will be Henry that Drill will possess, but Minx appears to be more of a willing participant.  Plus, she appears to have some sociopath tendencies.  

Did they use the masks because the kids couldn't act well enough to do appropriate facial expressions?

Makes just as much sense as anything else in this series.

• Love 1

So at least we know how Drill can be killed now. Problem solved. Let him possess Minx, and then shoot her. 2 birds, one stone. I have no problem with it.

Actually - unless this series ends with the government rounding up every child in the country and putting them in prison camps, we are going to have one unsatisfactory ending to a very unsatisfactory show. Because until the threat is neutralized that's exactly what they should be doing.

So at least we know how Drill can be killed now. Problem solved. Let him possess Minx, and then shoot her. 2 birds, one stone. I have no problem with it.

That's what I'm hoping for.  I'd love for Minx to be the sacrifice.  But it will probably be Henry so Lily Rabe can do more of her overacting, as Otto said. Yes, she made me laugh when she was doing her primal scream.   

I was also laughing when evil child with mask got on the elevator.  Then when they showed her with a syringe, it was even funnier.  And the adult, who kind of felt she wasn't right, was too stupid to get off the elevator when she got on.

Scary? No.  This show is too ridiculous to be scary.  Have they ever explained why this entity is called Drill (it's almost as stupid as Minx).

• Love 4

Plus, where does a child get a needle chock full of sodium pentathol -- that stuff is normally locked up, so she would have to had to have found the needle, and the vial (in a presumably locked cabinet), and filled the needle.  Without anyone seeing her.  On the children's ward.  Because that is atypical behavior for a kid.

This. I don't even understand the more basic premise of how these children are always just wandering around on their own. I guess this is a vestige of the original short story being written in a different era? In today's world of helicopter parenting, it completely takes me out of the story every time a little kid walks up to a random car at night in a gas station parking lot, or rides the hospital elevators by him/herself. Where are the parents? Even if their parents are too stupid or preoccupied to be concerned, why isn't anyone else questioning these things? In real life someone would have called CPS by now.

As for the average child going along with the game: of course they would. It's a game. And from what I can see a pretty fun one with real actions and reactions. You do something and this happens.

I'm not buying it. These kids are all old enough to know right from wrong, and none of them are presented as psychopaths (well, except Minx).

• Love 5

Scary? No.  This show is too ridiculous to be scary.  Have they ever explained why this entity is called Drill (it's almost as stupid as Minx).

Dunno, probably a ridiculous explanation later on if there is one.

I'm halfway through the episode right now, and am considering deleting it and the season pass from the DVR. This just keeps getting worse and worse. It takes a LOT for me to delete a show this far into a season. I always finish it out for at least that season. But this is unbearably stupid with stupid horrible people doing stupid things and I want their stupidity to be punished. Have I said this is stupid?

• Love 5

I did manage to finish the episode.  I have similar thoughts to most of those above with regards to Lena, the masks, the mental hospital, the "games" being to somehow enjoy killing innocent people, etc.  Just wretched.

I don't know why I'm thinking about this, but there was another show on ABC a couple years ago, another one-season-and-done, called Zero Hour.  It had a concept even more outlandish than this (bad guys trying to find the grave of Jesus in order to clone him and bring about the end of days - no typos there), but for some reason I absolutely loved it.  I think that show embraced its camp value, and its characters weren't always acting like total buffoons, where these people are playing everything seriously, and making just one stupid decision after another.  Really makes it tough to give a crap about anything or anyone on the show.

It had a concept even more outlandish than this (bad guys trying to find the grave of Jesus in order to clone him and bring about the end of days - no typos there), but for some reason I absolutely loved it.  I think that show embraced its camp value, and its characters weren't always acting like total buffoons, where these people are playing everything seriously, and making just one stupid decision after another.  Really makes it tough to give a crap about anything or anyone on the show.

Oh, I remember that show, it was fun and ott, which I think is this show's problem.  It's trying to make things like flickering lights and emotionless kids seriously and it just doesn't work, especially with horrible stupid adults in this show.

It is by no means the greatest show ever but it is a passable and creepy thriller. I like some of the themes abd I like creepy children and the scene with Thomas and the boy was well done.

I like this show.

I like this show too.

Are we supposed to think that Drill is semi-possessing these kids and that's why they are doing such horrible things? Because otherwise I agree about their being too old to know what they are doing as wrong.  With Harper, I thought she was young enough to not realize she was almost killing her mother by messing with the tree house.  And then she did more things because Drill offered to save her mom as a result.  But every one since then has been pretty explicitly evil with no real motivation.  

Lena looked in a trance when she shot Thomas, but then in this episode she was acting like it was a choice she made to protect Minx.  Which, as an adult makes no sense as an argument. But if Drill has some sort of mind control abilities it explains all that.

• Love 2

I like this show too.

Are we supposed to think that Drill is semi-possessing these kids and that's why they are doing such horrible things? Because otherwise I agree about their being too old to know what they are doing as wrong. With Harper, I thought she was young enough to not realize she was almost killing her mother by messing with the tree house. And then she did more things because Drill offered to save her mom as a result. But every one since then has been pretty explicitly evil with no real motivation.

Lena looked in a trance when she shot Thomas, but then in this episode she was acting like it was a choice she made to protect Minx. Which, as an adult makes no sense as an argument. But if Drill has some sort of mind control abilities it explains all that.

Lena believed she made a deal with Drill that if she killed Thomas Drill would leave Minx alone. When she actually did it her conscience finally got the better of her and she made excuses for it.

As for the kids, I still say they are kids and think they are playing a game. Drill knows how to make it sound fun. Kids are hard.wired to keep secrets from adults. As for Minx she is the perfect kid for him/it to use. She is angry at her parents but still wants them together and to love her and each other. Drill makes getting them

Back together a game and then gets her mother involved which makes it even more fun.

This is all one big game. Kids love games.

• Love 1

Lena believed she made a deal with Drill that if she killed Thomas Drill would leave Minx alone. When she actually did it her conscience finally got the better of her and she made excuses for it.

Then she's a dumbass because Drill has been playing with Minx behind her back all this time, especially if she really thought he was going to suddenly stop just because she said so as if that's supposed to guarantee stopping him once and for all.  XD.

Edited by Free

As long as Lena gets caught in the cross hairs as well. Because damn she was really getting on my nerves this episode. Why in the hell is she off helping investigate. She does not work with them and shouldn't she be watching her odd child?! Then she implies her trying to kill a man is less of a crime/moral issue than her husband bumping uglies with Claire. She needs a good smacking.

Maybe it's me but I see no chemistry between the married couples on this show. I do see some with Claire and Wes. For some reason I also see chemistry between Shawn and the lady doctor he kidnapped. Could just be me though trying to make the show more interesting.

• Love 3

As long as Lena gets caught in the cross hairs as well. Because damn she was really getting on my nerves this episode. Why in the hell is she off helping investigate. She does not work with them and shouldn't she be watching her odd child?! Then she implies her trying to kill a man is less of a crime/moral issue than her husband bumping uglies with Claire. She needs a good smacking.

"Help" is very generous, she spent the episode whining and then conveniently finding the plot Rabbi.

As for the kids, I still say they are kids and think they are playing a game. Drill knows how to make it sound fun. Kids are hard.wired to keep secrets from adults. As for Minx she is the perfect kid for him/it to use. She is angry at her parents but still wants them together and to love her and each other. Drill makes getting them

Back together a game and then gets her mother involved which makes it even more fun.

This is all one big game. Kids love games.

Kids like games, but they usually don't like dead people.  So, I'm surprised they would consider it in the name of a game.

• Love 4

I hope they get rid of all the kids on this show because they all appear to be future serial killers because those two delights we met today made Minx look normal.

Based on the "Mr. President, do you think you can kill one child to save the world?" Speech we got, the child Drill will choose to possess will be the president's daughter.

This show is not improving in the least.

• Love 3

They did say that Drill would pick the child who would be the most useful. To me, that would indicate the president's daughter, but my guess is that now that the president has been informed, there'll be a switcheroo of some kind - either the president will make a deal with Drill to take another kid instead, or Drill itself figures that with the president knowing everything, much of the value will be lost and so it will be better off taking another kid instead. Regardless, it's going to be Henry.

• Love 1

Ha, maybe even Drill finds Minx too annoying to possess?

"Okay, I'll travel across the universe and I'll talk to those kids, sure, but I draw the line at inhabiting that she-devil! Plus, have you met her mother?" [Kang/Kodos voice]

Of course, we might have a better sense of what Drill really sounds like if this show ever broadcast AN ACTUAL GODDAMN WHISPER.

• Love 6

I like this show.

I like this show, too.  

I guess I am just a big enough fan of the horror genre in general to not be bothered by the fact that certain things are improbable or if a character's behavior doesn't make perfect sense to me.  It's not a documentary.  It's a spooky drama about a space alien controlling little children .... I don't expect the actions of every single character to be perfectly logical.   There has to be a little bit of leeway to move the story forward ... I mean, if all the parents clamped down on their kids in the way that has been suggested should be happening upthread,  the story would end pretty quickly.   Sure, that is how a normal parent would respond to a threat in average, every day life ... but in normal average everyday life, space aliens don't show up and put the whammy on a bunch of kids and try to take over the planet.  If I am going to indulge in watching a show which is premised upon the idea of an electrically powered alien utilizing children in an attempt to gain control of earth, the issue of the parents being somewhat lax in the supervision of their children is not going to ruin things for me. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 4

Okay, you guys need a new medical advisor for the show, or you need to get one in the first place.  The biggest glaring error is that no one, not even a cute little kid who suddenly wakes up, can speak if they have a breathing tube in place.  And if they have a breathing tube, and are hooked up to a ventilator, the room will not be that quiet & there will be way more staff in the immediate vicinity.

• Love 3

Yes, she made me laugh when she was doing her primal scream.  

I'm a Lily Rabe fan but my God that was horrible!  And the reactions from Wes and Lena were like "Uh, ok?  How does that help!"

• Love 2

I like this show.

Nope, you're not alone and thank you, because I thought I was alone too.

I like this show, yeah sure, it isn't the best show ever but it holds my interest and I agree that there is some creepiness to it as well. It's weird, I like the show more when I watch it then when I think about it. I never watch it live because I'm usually watching news when its on so I watch it OnDemand and I don't know, it keeps me watching every week.

My computer is acting wonky right now and so is this site (it's doing that weird jumping around thing again as well as freezing on certain pages) or I'd write more, but I do think the President's daughter is in Drill's sight more than any of the other kids.

• Love 1

Pop Quiz: You are an agent investigating a series of strange events. You are at a hospital with a shooting victim/witness. You know that a being uses electricity and children against its enemy and that it could be in the hospital. You need to get to the first floor of a three story building, what do you do?

A. Take the stairs.

B. Get on the elevator with a creepy kid in a mask.

I'm just saying...

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 11

Of course, we might have a better sense of what Drill really sounds like if this show ever broadcast AN ACTUAL GODDAMN WHISPER.

My people! 

Don't a bunch of cops and a military officer have a moral obligation to turn over someone who deliberately attempts to kill another person?  Lena wandering around "helping" was the strangest thing ever.

• Love 1

Lena wandering around "helping" was the strangest thing ever.

Yup, her 'helping' was tagging along to whine and throw a pity party for herself while bumping into the plot exposition rabbi.

• Love 1

I'm a Lily Rabe fan but my God that was horrible!  And the reactions from Wes and Lena were like "Uh, ok?  How does that help!"

It was worse for me (and I agree Rabe is talented, but 21st century modern doesn't seem to be her bailiwick), what made it worse was, before and after the primal scream, it was like an emotional transition wipe with a windshield wiper.  She didn't even blend.  Guttural scream > directly into, whatever that bland emotion was. Then onto the next bland emotion like someone dropped a curtain.

I disagree in that I think the masks finally are/found a way to be creepy, but this show is missing some sensible logical things to increase audience identification. 

For example, the way all adults now believe in “Drill”, and have no qualms about referring to it/him as “Drill”, without laughing out loud.  At least someone, probably not-Prez politician, should still be making faces and skeptically referring to “This…thing!!!”  (Short version:  “Somebody should still have some qualms, so that the audience can feel superior to some blind fool.”)  Also, this lets someone be working at cross purposes.

Secondly, shoot Rollins with, basically, truth serum?  Shouldn’t he then be revealing “some truths”, to increase suspense, that lets Drill (I can barely type it with a straight face now either), get one-up on someone?  Did he, and it was so boring I blinked and missed it?

Edited by queenanne

I like a Rollins and Sean as a partner team up. They both are appropriately edgy but also back down from being complete boobs. And while Rollins got taken down by a kid, at least he initially was all about trying to locate the children's ward and put them on lockdown. He just wasn't ruthless enough.

Thomas was strong willed and sassy to the end. In fact, I'd watch a show with him, Sean and Rollins investigating aliens and taking the bad ones out.

Okay, you guys need a new medical advisor for the show, or you need to get one in the first place.  The biggest glaring error is that no one, not even a cute little kid who suddenly wakes up, can speak if they have a breathing tube in place.  And if they have a breathing tube, and are hooked up to a ventilator, the room will not be that quiet & there will be way more staff in the immediate vicinity.

And after his miraculous recovery, and despite the fact his entire family was there, he somehow managed to wander out of his room without the Doctors, parents or anybody else noticing and murder somebody. And why, precisely, did a kid that age think that murdering somebody was ok? Becuase, they don't. The idea that hurting another person is ok is a learned behaviour. Children instinctively hate harming anything. They don't even like feeling they've upset a human-like toy. So they had better make mind-control explicit ASAP because the silly is compounding.