Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Future

She did warn him that she had the power to make or break him on national television! We should have taken that for the omen it was, lol.

Adam came full circle tonight, with how quickly he reverted back to his pilot episode self. He could've asked Rachel - instead of just taking Quinn's word for it. I don't think Rachel was right that he just wanted a way out, because he was leaving to meet her. I think he was 100% scared off by the mental hospital lie. The connection between them was real. Not "true love" at All, and maybe even heightened and more intense-feeling because of the environment they were in for sure, but I do feel the connection was real. Quinn woke him from the fairytale he created and shit got real. It was one thing when Rachel was crazy-fun and exciting, but real crazy not so much, lol. Rachel killed me with that breakdown - that was so hard to watch.

Jeremy shocked the hell out of me - did not see that viciousness coming. I knew he suspected what was up, but I didn't think he'd humiliate her like that. So low considering everything he's done this season to his fiancé and Rachel. He was the one pushing to be with her - like every single time. He played her hot and cold all season. Rachel did a shitty thing, but he's a complete hypocrite. IM glad we know longer have to suffer through anymore Jeremy and Rachel love story. Game over - let them be enemies. I'll enjoy watching Quinn and Rachel destroy him next season, and at least josh Kelly will have something interesting to play lol.

Bring on Rachels crazy mom! I want to see Quinn and her go head to head over Rachel.

Quinn and Rachel left me speechless, I just love their dysfunctional, unhealthy relationship so much and they just play so well together on screen - their last scene was just electric. The definition of love/hate. You could FEEL it coming off Rachel in waves.

Britney did nothing in this episode - but I get that that was the point. To show how Quinn owns Chet in the actual producing part. Loved that Grace saw through Rachel's manipulation (and how Rachel just put it all out there lol). Anna won because no matter how they edited her on the show she took her power back with that final interview.

• Love 14

Also, Grandma convincing him to pick Anna was a complete reversal of his motivations. I wonder what Stroma's reaction was to reading that scene. Actors hate that.

Yeah, I thought FOR SURE that was going to lead Adam to choose Grace. He has wanted nothing to do with his family all season, has emphatically stated he wants to be independent of them, but now that he's here with his (hilarious) grandma in his "ancestral castle" he does an about-face and chooses the girl that would endear him to his family? Come on, show. You got so much else right. Why did this have to be so wrong?

• Love 5

Yeah, I thought FOR SURE that was going to lead Adam to choose Grace. He has wanted nothing to do with his family all season, has emphatically stated he wants to be independent of them, but now that he's here with his (hilarious) grandma in his "ancestral castle" he does an about-face and chooses the girl that would endear him to his family? Come on, show. You got so much else right. Why did this have to be so wrong?

I think this is why it bothered me so much that we never saw the entirety of what Quinn said to Adam.  Adam's turn around this episode was huge, and not just in his abandonment of Rachel.  The decision to get married on TV and to do it in his ancestral home was strange.  Not so strange as to be completely unbelievable, as I'm sure we can all fanwank plausible reasons for this change of heart, but it's a change so dramatic that it should have been important to show us how he got there.

This episode just felt too rushed in everything it accomplished.  It's like the writers got to episode 10 and realized that they still had a third left of their story outline left to finish. And rather than leaving some loose ends to be tied up in a future season (which I realize they weren't sure they'd ever had), they smushed it all in despite not having enough time to do it all properly.

• Love 7

He has wanted nothing to do with his family all season, has emphatically stated he wants to be independent of them, but now that he's here with his (hilarious) grandma in his "ancestral castle" he does an about-face and chooses the girl that would endear him to his family? Come on, show. You got so much else right. Why did this have to be so wrong?

Adam has been adamant about a lot of things that he eventually caved on, especially when it comes to things like the show.  He wasn't going to be a part of it.  Then he wasn't going to be a part of Royal Renovations. But when Rachel found his sweet spot, he could be convinced. We know he has a complicated history with his father but his grandmother?  Grandmothers hold a special power even if you're estranged from the family.  At the slightest hint of approval from his family, I'm not surprised he went with it.  The winery always felt to me like a way to rebel and a way to rub it in his family's bad perceptions but ultimately to prove himself worthy.

As for Jeremy, the notion that he's a good guy really mostly comes from other characters...other characters who intentionally manipulate the emotional wellbeing of people, who lead to the suicide of one and cover up the fact that it was an actual murder...Jeremy is no saint.   I think he knew he was being vicious. I don't know why he went to Rachel's mother as we don't know enough about even his past with Rachel to know how much he knows about her mother.  Heck, even Rachel went to her earlier in the season.  My big problem with it is that I want UnREAL mostly focused on Quinn/Rachel and the show.  I'm less interested in Rachel's love life or parents.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 6

Jumping in the conversation but I think it does make sense. I don't think Adam didn't want anything to do with his family. It felt more like he wanted them to take him seriously and he wanted to achieve something on his own (the vineyard) and prove them, and more especially his father wrong. He seemed to struggle with the trashy sides of the show since day one and it was one of the reasons he didn't want to get married on a reality show, until Rachel pitched the Royal Renovation idea, that could finance and promote his project. I think he wanted to reconcile with his family eventually but on his terms.

• Love 10

Not to be an Adam apologist because he definitely wussed out, but any tales Quinn may have told him about Rachel's instability and hospitalizations would have come pretty soon after the Mary suicide debacle. So while it sucked that he let Rachel down, it was a better narrative choice for storytelling purposes and perhaps can be handwaved if they have Stroma back next season.

Again this show manages to surprise me. The way Shiri turned on a dime after Adam left the confessional had me gasp - but then to see her open the door to reveal Anna in the other side - cold, cold, cold!

• Love 10

They really left things open. Kinda felt like it should have gotten another hour. They packed this episode with plot, but I guess those are the breaks when you only get so many episodes in a season.

I can't see Adam having much of a role next season... maybe a few episodes at most? What is Jeremy trying to scheme with Rachel's mother? Even when he's "scheming", he's really rather boring. With the conversation between Quinn and Rachel at the end, I can't see him staying alive by the end of next season. I wonder what the 'darker' ending was that they had in mind originally that was hinted at the Paley talk.

• Love 3

The show doesn't have to stick with "Everlasting". In fact i think it would be cool if the next season featured a different show. Or, perhaps it could be mostly about Everlasting but give us glimpses of other shows. Like, say, "Prairie Princesses", in which two cowgirls organize their own ranch, including putting up buildings. They have to deal with both resentment from their neighbors because they're gay, and skepticism about their business savvy because they're women.

• Love 9

A couple of random thoughts:

Adam couldn't have chosen Grace, imo, because the die had been cast by the Quinn/Rachel conspiracy that there would be NO wedding. If Grace had been picked, I can't see her melting into a runaway bride under ANY circumstances or manipulations. Grace was a schemer.

Aren't confessionals almost soundproofed? How did Anna hear all she did when both doors were closed? Ha. Rachel probably hooked up electronic eavesdropping. Or else, Anna was sitting on the priest's side and Rachel/Adam on the penitent's side? But I didnt notice the sliding window thing. I'll have to go back to look.

In the scene where Adam and Jeremy speak face to face, both actors' hair was so plastered and styled with product, they looked like Ken dolls.

Was Anna's brother invited to the wedding? Maybe I missed him, but he should have been there.

Finally, the gowns worn by the contestants in the selection scene were really, really, like, really, magnifique! Grace's structured bodice, Brittanny's back silhouette and everything about Anna's red dress were fabulous.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 6

I loathe Jeremy. On a show with a bunch of amoral manipulative assholes, it's really saying something that I hate Jeremy more than any other character. The problem with Jeremy is that he's boring, sanctimonious, and thinks he's a good guy. In reality, Jeremy is boring, sanctimonious, hypocritical, and petty. He's not a good guy. He spent the season either flirting, fucking, or berating Rachel all while he was engaged.

I love that when the first girl to be eliminated came back that I instinctively knew that it was Chet's boneheaded idea and that Everlasting has probably pulled this stunt before. Great characterization. I can't believe we know these characters as well as we do in just 10 episodes.

I also think Anna finally got wise in her runaway bride monologue and set herself up for a bachelorette spin off.

I laughed like a hyena when Brittany appeared. I thought it might be Poppy, Adam's ex. I adored that Grace was not to be snowed. But sluts get cut. I LOVED Anna's walk up the stairs. The look on her face was gold. She realized that Quinn had steered her to a perfect set up for a great shot, and that she was going to have her chance to have her say. Fabulous.

Chet's comeuppance was a delight to behold. Jeremy's faux proposal was so very low. What a dick. I've never liked him and agree that he thinks he has some kind of moral high ground. Look in a mirror dude. You are no better than Quinn, Rachel, Adam, or anyone else you look down on.

Tiny gripe, Adam isn't royal. He's nobility and has a title, or will inherit one, but the only people who can be called royal are actual members of the royal family. His granny could be Her Grace, the Duchess of Someplace, but not her Royal Highness. (When Prince Charles got married to Diana Spencer, there was some tut tutting among the Brits that he was marrying a mere Earl's daughter--plenty of people thought he should stick with a royal princess from elsewhere in Europe. She was nobility, but not royal.)

Loved the confessional scene. I should be prepared for the twists by now but that shocked me. And cute callback--aren't the talking heads in reality shows called "confessionals"? Ha! Kudos, that was clever!

Quinn and Rachel are now officially unstoppable. Cannot wait to see what havoc (short of murder) they wreak.

• Love 7
Aren't confessionals almost soundproofed? How did Anna hear all she did when both doors were closed? Ha. Rachel probably hooked up electronic eavesdropping. Or else, Anna was sitting on the priest's side and Rachel/Adam on the penitent's side? But I didnt notice the sliding window thing. I'll have to go back to look.

There are two rooms in a confessional, one side for the priest and one for the confessor, so Anna would be able to hear the conversation clear as day through the perforated wall.

Tiny gripe, Adam isn't royal. He's nobility and has a title, or will inherit one, but the only people who can be called royal are actual members of the royal family.

Wasn't there a gag where Adam pointed out that he wasn't the prince of anything, and Rachel hand waved that "nobody cares, it's fake."

• Love 6

As fucked up and twisted as Quinn and Rachel's relationship is, it's also two really interesting, complex, driven women, and I love it.

And it's also pretty funny that Rachel didn't think a show about women-- trying to get ahead professionally-- would sell-- without some kind of romantic element (the total package idea Quinn had) But I would watch the shit of another season of these two manipulating each other, and anyone else within their sphere.

• Love 9

Wasn't there a gag where Adam pointed out that he wasn't the prince of anything, and Rachel hand waved that "nobody cares, it's fake."

It was actually more along the lines of "since when have facts mattered?"

I think it's a good choice we didn't see what Quinn said to Adam, but I think there was more than just Rachel's mental instability being brought into play though I do think the extra layer had more to do with Quinn's delivery.  I also don't blame Adam for wanting to get as far away as possible after the confessional scene, because no one likes being around someone falling apart.  He thought things were okay-ish between them and then Rachel does a very un-Rachel thing which should have been a tip off, but way to play off the stereotype of men being useless around a woman's tears.

During the fake proposal by Jeremy to Rachel, one of his lines echoed Mary's abusive ex, something along the lines of "no one will love you like I do." I don't think Jeremy has ever been a good guy, but I think he thinks he is and everyone around him is convinced he is.  Sorry, but I think cowardly Adam is more self aware of who he is than Jeremy and that makes him marginally more honest.  I like honest.

I am appalled Jeremy went to Rachel's mother at the end, but I also don't think he understands how much of Rachel's damage comes from that woman.  He encourage Rachel to go to her parents for money earlier.  No one who cares an iota about Rachel would want her within a thousand miles of that harpy.

While I'm looking forward to Quinn eviscerating "Mom" next season, I have a feeling Quinn will be bloodied before she wins. 

• Love 8

Man. Shiri Appleby, Constance Zimmer, the show, and the writers need to get Emmy nominations next year. But probably no such luck (has anything on Lifetime ever been nominated?).

Lifetime has been nominated for Emmy Awards. Not sure if they won anything. Too bad this show did not make the cut off date. By the time its eligible it might be forgotten. I hope not. This show is so deserving.

• Love 7
His granny could be Her Grace, the Duchess of Someplace, but not her Royal Highness.

The grandmother would have to have been born into a royal family to have the HRH. I think unREAL kind of botched that whole aspect of Adam. I don't know why Everlasting didn't play up Adam's title more when we saw the women being produced. That's always nagged me a bit.

(When Prince Charles got married to Diana Spencer, there was some tut tutting among the Brits that he was marrying a mere Earl's daughter--plenty of people thought he should stick with a royal princess from elsewhere in Europe. She was nobility, but not royal.)

Prince William married the great-granddaughter of a coal miner!

I am appalled Jeremy went to Rachel's mother at the end, but I also don't think he understands how much of Rachel's damage comes from that woman.  He encourage Rachel to go to her parents for money earlier.  No one who cares an iota about Rachel would want her within a thousand miles of that harpy.

Jeremy going to Rachel's mom seemed OOC to me. I get he's furious with her—and he has a right to be—but it's extreme to get her mom involved in a possible institutionalization. Even if he never knew how terrible the relationship is between Rachel and her mom, he had to have heard enough from Rachel to know it was bad enough. I don't buy scorned-lover part of this. It's pretty scorched earth. I feel like the show felt it had to do something drastic with Jeremy and Rachel, and it went overboard.

Adam, meh. He made his bad. I never thought he was all that, and I never liked him with Rachel, either.

The real relationship on the show is Quinn/Rachel. I loved their scene together at the end. They are so messed up, and they know it, even as Rachel tries to fight it more.

• Love 1

I prefer Jeremy out of the whole lot of them, compared to what all the others have done in the name of the show or are doing he's not evil for behaving like those around him. He's not covering up a murder and drug tampering.

He's a hypocrite. And a boring, sanctimonious one at that. He's also a cheater who thinks his sh!t doesn't stink. He has the nerve to get upset at Rachel et al for what they are doing to a bunch of girls who signed up for a fairytale harem situation (I mean, do ANY of those girls really believe this could lead to love? Seriously - a guy with a harem actually choosing just one and sticking with it? Pffft give me a break). Anyway - he blames everyone else - or just Rachel - for what she does on her job and judges her constantly... meanwhile he proposed to a woman in good faith and spat on that constantly sleeping with and flirting with Rachel.

Horrible, horrible man.

It wouldn't be so bad if he would just admit he's a jerk - but he's parading around as though he farts rainbows.

There is something off with Rachel which they have alluded to and nothing from this season has shown she's healthier. Ad with her sleeping with them both even on the same day, I think a pregnancy plot could be out for her.

LOL - they won't go with a pregnancy plot. Rachel is probably on birth control. And I don't think RAchel was ever "sick". I think she just finally broke against the strain of having to be so manipulative just to do her job, with her insides finally not being able to convince her it was okay. She may be amoral - but I just don't buy that she's sick. I buy that she snapped - but that doesn't mean sick. The job IS Satan's asshole.

• Love 8

Huh, kind of a disappointing finale. There was plenty of exciting action for sure, and I don't mind where the episode ended up, but it felt very rushed, like there was an episode or two left on the cutting room floor between last week's episode and this one. It started out with a real tease of an opening, with so many important moments (Rachel's decision to leave Jeremy, Quinn's conversation with Adam) happening completely offscreen, and that kind of set the tone for the episode. I found myself being so much more interested in what was happening between scenes than what they did decide to show us.

I'm really looking forward to next season, but I'm kind of bummed that the finale left on such a low note. It just wasn't satisfying for me.

I agree that this could have been two episodes.  I have to watch it again as I found myself dosing off a bit and had to sit up.  I missed some good lines that I see quoted here.  

Rachael is mentally stable and sane; it is her mother that is sick.  

The nastiness that is Jeremy in no way compares to the any others.  Being cutthroat and manipulating a TV show is far different than trying to bring down a former lover because your love is unrequited.   And going to her crazy mother who has her husband drugged?  This will hit the fan next season.  

• Love 5

During the fake proposal by Jeremy to Rachel, one of his lines echoed Mary's abusive ex, something along the lines of "no one will love you like I do.". 

He never said that or anything like that. 

The nastiness that is Jeremy in no way compares to the any others.  Being cutthroat and manipulating a TV show is far different than trying to bring down a former lover because your love is unrequited. 

True.  It is very different.  On one hand, you have Jeremy being nasy to his ex which is something a lot of people do to sometimes ridiculous extremes.  On the other hand, you have people whose one-two punch, along with Shia, led a woman to commit suicide.  And then they covered up manslaughter, likely denying the orphaned daughter the right to sue for deserved compensation. 

• Love 4

During the fake proposal by Jeremy to Rachel, one of his lines echoed Mary's abusive ex, something along the lines of "no one will love you like I do."

Oh, yes, I had forgotten about that. That seriously bugged me, especially since Adam, who is no saint, said something to the contrary to her last week (don't accept Jeremy because you think he's the only one). While "no one will love you like I do" sounds nice in songs, it's actually a really shitty thing to say. You might as well say "You know I'm your only good option, right?"

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 7

After all the lies Rachel told her I'm surprised Anna didn't recognise Rachel's reveal of Adam for the connivance it genuinely was. Anna could have used the live broadcast to not only skewer Adam but also the producers. Missed opportunity. And I thought she was supposed to be the smart one.

• Love 4

I think this is why it bothered me so much that we never saw the entirety of what Quinn said to Adam. Adam's turn around this episode was huge, and not just in his abandonment of Rachel. The decision to get married on TV and to do it in his ancestral home was strange. Not so strange as to be completely unbelievable, as I'm sure we can all fanwank plausible reasons for this change of heart, but it's a change so dramatic that it should have been important to show us how he got there.

This episode just felt too rushed in everything it accomplished. It's like the writers got to episode 10 and realized that they still had a third left of their story outline left to finish. And rather than leaving some loose ends to be tied up in a future season (which I realize they weren't sure they'd ever had), they smushed it all in despite not having enough time to do it all properly.

I agree and this was the only thing that really bothered me. I've said all season that they really needed more than 10 Episodes. I can believe Adam was falling into the fairytale with Rachel (in the intensified everlasting bubble) and Quinn's lie brought him back to earth. I can believe going back home and being with his family caused him to revert back into the Adam of the first 4 episodes. And I can completely believe Adam would pick his own ambitions over Rachel in the end and vice versa. But I needed that fleshed out a little more and instead it was like flicking on a light switch. Just too quick - and that's why it seemed out of character. Edited by basically
  • Love 4

What Jeremy did makes him a dick, but given Rachel's spectacular and public freak out last season leading to legal problems for her and court ordered counseling I can't get too worked up over it.

I don't see how going to her Mom can make a difference - Rachel's not a child.  Mom can't have her committed unless she can get Rachel declared incompetent.  Not that easy to do.

Britney was underwhelming.

Chet did not disappoint with his "logic" about his bj from Madison.

Jumping in the conversation but I think it does make sense. I don't think Adam didn't want anything to do with his family. It felt more like he wanted them to take him seriously and he wanted to achieve something on his own (the vineyard) and prove them, and more especially his father wrong. He seemed to struggle with the trashy sides of the show since day one and it was one of the reasons he didn't want to get married on a reality show, until Rachel pitched the Royal Renovation idea, that could finance and promote his project. I think he wanted to reconcile with his family eventually but on his terms.

But one of his stated objections to the Royal Love idea was that he didn't want to go back to England and be around his family. I agree that that may not be the same thing as wanting nothing to do with them, but it makes Adam's decision to hold his wedding in England strange. Yes, Adam's fickle but it's bad writing when you have a character go back on one of the few points they've stayed consistent on without properly setting it up.

• Love 2

It could be explained that he was just so done with all the everlasting fakeness and emotionally drained over Rachel and just wanted to go home - despite the family issues. But they never said that so I'm just filling in the blanks!

• Love 1

I guess we all really hate Jeremy now. At first he was just boring. Now he is mean and boring. Rachel is a horrible horrible person, more so than anyone else on the show. She gets with the dull Jeremy and dumps him in a letter. Finds out Adam doesn't want her anymore goes back to Jeremy. I guess if she didn't get back with Jeremy we couldn't have that awful fake public proposal.  So, she had to get back together with Jeremy so we could feel sorry for Rachel again. 

That Britney subplot added nothing to show, but take valuable time they could've used to show what Quinn told Adam about the amazing Rachel that all men love. In spite of the fact that I am convinced she actually stinks.

Adam, handsome blond man that likes to screw around with anyone willing. Why Rachel was so in love, lust or like with him is a mystery. I know why the contestants were enamored, they just want their 15 minutes of fame and be declared the pretty pretty winner. Maybe jump on the Kardashian train of famous for nothing and commence rolling in the dough.

This show is just a bad soap opera. I don't think I will be one of their few viewers next year. 

• Love 1

I was talking about him getting back in his family's good graces eventually, after succeeding with his vineyard. Adam wanting to get married in England was totally out of the blue. They didn't explain why he would want to do something like that. They should have had Quinn/Rachel going behind his back to his grandma and then tell him his family was insisting he had the wedding there or something.

One thing I understood was him being tempted to get married to Grace instead of Anna because apart from the great sex she was offering he wouldn't have to fake anything with her. It would be exhausting to play the part of the happy husband even behind closed doors for a whole year.

• Love 3

During the fake proposal by Jeremy to Rachel, one of his lines echoed Mary's abusive ex, something along the lines of "no one will love you like I do." I don't think Jeremy has ever been a good guy, but I think he thinks he is and everyone around him is convinced he is. Sorry, but I think cowardly Adam is more self aware of who he is than Jeremy and that makes him marginally more honest. I like honest.

He never said that or anything like that.

Yes, he did: "I think you guys know—a little bit too much, probably—about, uh, this woman's and my relationship. You know that I love you, always will, and you'll never find anybody who loves you more. So, while we're in this incredibly romantic place, I was just wondering if I could ask you…"

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 9

There are two rooms in a confessional, one side for the priest and one for the confessor, so Anna would be able to hear the conversation clear as day through the perforated wall.

Thanks for the explanation of the confessional. :) Though I've seen confessionals with the sliding windows for the priest to open or close, I've never seen a box with a perforated wall, so I've learned something new.

Here's wiki, too: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessional

• Love 1

Adam couldn't have chosen Grace, imo, because the die had been cast by the Quinn/Rachel conspiracy that there would be NO wedding. If Grace had been picked, I can't see her melting into a runaway bride under ANY circumstances or manipulations. Grace was a schemer.

Agreed, though I did feel like that was one of those "Character inexplicably does A, because it's the only way Writer can get to B" moments.

The one thing they sort of never addressed -- though they didn't really bring the "audience" of Everlasting into it much -- is why the live wedding would've been so highly-rated if Anna had been edited to be the season's "bitch" (per Rachel's tape from episode 2). People tune into weddings of people with high Q scores, and if "bitchy" Anna had "won," wouldn't the audience have been disgusted? Especially after a tragic contestant suicide?

Similar to how they portrayed Jeremy, I felt like that was a point that got dropped halfway through. I mean, you could sort of handwave that maybe Anna got "nicer" (onscreen) after Mary's suicide, but I don't see how you come back from the angry "get out of my face" footage, and the running away and the confessionals that the contestant is unstable.

In fact, if Grace was dubbed "wifey" by Quinn in episode 1, then I would guess she received a highly favorable edit. And that's sort of where "Character does A because Writer needs B," because the writers needed Adam to pick Anna for Quinn and Rachel's plan to work. But that idea seemed to directly contrast with what we were being told the Everlasting audience was seeing. I guess we're supposed to think the Everlasting audience is so stupid, they would just hear "Wedding!" and tune in, but I wish a little more attention was paid to the whole "perception/reality" idea that was so interesting from the earlier episodes.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 8

At this point, the only decent character is the dog. Everyone else is amoral.

I don't know.  Everyone on this show is SO terrible that even the dog is probably a jerk too.  That being said, everyone being such a horrible person is one of the things that makes me love this show so much.  I'm not sure what that says about me, but I'll be back for the next season.

• Love 8

What I think maybe would have been more interesting. If the show wasn't shown practically live. They could've had contestant reactions after the show was aired to see how they would react to the editing.  The suicide plot should've maybe taken place the last season and the show would've been canceled after that. Anna was edited to be a villain after Britany left the show. Perhaps we could've have seen her go home and sue the show and let everyone know her dad died instead of being true to her self in a wedding dress.  Maybe Shamiqua was edited to be extra sassy even though we know she never really did anything. Some many options and all we got was Rachel torn between 2 lovers and disgusting Chet.

I kind of enjoyed how fast and loose the show has been with certain things -- Adam's "royal" credentials, etc, because I took it as a kind of meta joke about how the show actually doesn't give a shit about truth, or love, or any of it. They pay lip service and use words they think "the audience" (in my head I replace it with "those idiots" in Quinn's voice) responds to: Cinderella story, handsome prince blah blah but they seriously don't give a shit about any of that. Just like they have no investment in the POC contestants, who were just as ignored or boxed in as stereotypes as you'll ever see on these reality shows. Thus, Shamiqua makes it to final four and bye Felicia. There's like a whole other level going on on this show....including Anna finally having a feminist moment and dumping Prince Charming at the altar. Rachel finally got to do something transgressive within the genre.

I thought the Duchess kind of overplayed it but she was fun. Brittany was a waste, except for the "turd eyes" line.

I was enraged by Jeremy's bitch move but I don't think he can really do anything. Like someone else mentioned, Rachel is an adult and Olive can't medicate everyone involved in making sure her daughter is involuntarily committed. He's also a dumb bitch because Quinn can make sure he never works again, but sure go ahead and get your "revenge", ass.

• Love 4

Just want to say I was surprised that I continued watching each episode.  I liked the series and consider it a coup for LIFETIME...especially since Chris Harrison seems so pissed about it.  Suppose they paid him handsomely?

Edited by Former Nun

I liked Britney's return because it helped Quinn set the stage in showing the network guy that Chet doesn't know how to produce the show. He brought her in, not realizing that she was a tired, overused trope (because he's always too high to remember) and all Quinn had to do was hand him the walkie talkie, sit back and wait.

I also loved that Adam didn't acknowledge Britney at all during the proposal scene. And how she was asking the grandmother duchess across the aisle where she got the champagne. Like it didn't occur to Britney that the grandmother might warrant more special treatment than herself. That's why I liked her return, Britney was ridiculous.

• Love 6

There are no words for how sick that finale was and how much sense it all made. It makes me think of what Matt Weiner said about good writing - how you'll never see it coming but, when you stop and think about it all, it seems inevitable. Two totally different shows, but that was how it felt to me last night. 

Rachel has issues - and whether they're as severe as her mother or Quinn made them out to be, she needs to get some kind of help. She's in no way ready for a happy ending like the one she lept for with Adam. The whole deus ex machina at the beginning looked so out of character that I thought it was a dream sequence up until Adam arrived back at the Everlasting house. 

Of course flip-flopper Adam gave up on Rachel without even talking to her about what Quinn said. Of course he refused to be honest with her in the confessional. He's not dependable. He hates conflict. He's big on words but can't take action to save his life. I was totally rooting for him and Rachel, but he shouldn't have a goldfish, let alone a relationship with someone who has such a power for deception. All he was really capable of was a physical fling with Grace. Clearly, that wasn't what the show wanted, so the slut had to get cut. 

Anna, on the other hand, is the aspirational wife for someone like Adam. Beautiful, well-bred, elegant, intelligent, and refined. She seemed capable of a real relationship and could also have happily gone along with the charade if there had been a modicum of honesty to what Adam was saying. But he couldn't even tell the truth about the lie. I was invested in Adam/Anna (maybe not as a couple, but as characters in this story) from episode 2. Johanna Braddy is a great actress and I just find her compelling on screen. After the awful fallout when Anna's dad died, I really rooted for her to make it to the end and get something out of the experience. The scene where she finds out she lost her dad and didn't get to say goodbye was one of the most impactful moments of the season for me, even moreso than Mary's death. Anna was the only contestant Adam had any real connection with, and I'm glad she got her big runaway bride speech. I can only hope she returns in some capacity next season.

Kudos to Shiri on that confessional bait-and-switch with Adam. She had me. I thought it was a real meltdown. I was praising her for stoically wiping away the tears to continue with her job and had no inkling it was a setup until she opened the other door. A tour-de-force right there. Give that woman an Emmy.

Constance Zimmer is my TV Angelina Jolie. I simply worship her. She plays sharp, fierce women and she plays them so well. Beneath the prickly veneer is an inner life and vulnerability that most actresses just can't put out there. I fucking love Quinn. Sure, she's not happy unless everyone around her is miserable and grovelling at her feet, but I can see why she is that way. She's not some mustache-twirling cartoon who's evil for no reason. I always feel her motivation, even if I don't agree with it. She's probably the most damaged human on the show. She just hides it better than most. 

Screw Jeremy. I'm disgusted that he went to the worst character on the show to hurt Rachel. Her mother is Satan. Full stop. I'm not even convinced that Jeremy's unaware of this. He's that sanctimonious douche who paints himself as a great guy while simultaneously behaving just as badly as everyone else. He just justifies it in his own mind and sleeps on a pillow of lies at night. Those guys are the worst. At least Rachel, Quinn, Chet, and Adam own their amoral crap. Even the baby intern gets it. Josh Kelly is great eye candy but that character gets on my last nerve. 

• Love 18

True.  It is very different.  On one hand, you have Jeremy being nasy to his ex which is something a lot of people do to sometimes ridiculous extremes.  On the other hand, you have people whose one-two punch, along with Shia, led a woman to commit suicide.  And then they covered up manslaughter, likely denying the orphaned daughter the right to sue for deserved compensation. 

You may have missed my point because I did not fill out my thoughts.  The moving van arrived as I was posting!  

I wasn't placing a value or judgement on either.  Not saying Jeremy is worse than Shia, Quinn or Rachael.  

I love the cutthroat things they did to produce a good show and found it deliciously entertaining.  We saw all of their softer sides outside the show.  Quinn getting excited about getting married and Rachael torn about loving two men. And the men loving her back.

It threw me when they added another element of nasty.  Jeremy's actions were not contained in the production arena.   I didn't like what Jeremy did because it is too close to real life.  I was enjoying the "this would never really happen," category.   What Jeremy is doing happens.  Or at least the beginning of what we think will go down.  It will be taken to the edge of the cliff, I am sure.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

It did feel a little rushed, but I loved every single underhanded, duplicitous second! I HOPE with every fiber of my being that it comes back for a second season. 

Brittany thought she was on top, Queen Shit. She had no idea that she was being used, which I enjoyed about it. She got to swan around and call people "bitch" and be her trashy self, but she was always just a throwaway. No one cared. She was just spoiling for a fight--she'd been publicly embarrassed or made to feel awful, and we've all had those three a.m. moments when we fantasize about Just What I Would Do If I Ever See Those Assholes Again. Sadly for Brittany, it didn't play out the way she envisioned. She thought she'd leave her fallen enemies sobbing in her wake, but no one gave a damn. Haha!

As for Anna's rehabilitated image--two words, redemption arc. Its a tried and true reality show trope, isn't it? She and Adam's deepening relationship shows the viewers a softer side of the supposed bitch Anna.

• Love 6

After all the lies Rachel told her I'm surprised Anna didn't recognise Rachel's reveal of Adam for the connivance it genuinely was. Anna could have used the live broadcast to not only skewer Adam but also the producers. Missed opportunity. And I thought she was supposed to be the smart one.

Wouldn't it be fun if Anna turns up pregnant by Adam? They did sleep together - and were shown clearly doing more than just sleeping -

• Love 2
I was enraged by Jeremy's bitch move but I don't think he can really do anything. Like someone else mentioned, Rachel is an adult and Olive can't medicate everyone involved in making sure her daughter is involuntarily committed.

Could Rachel's mother be granted conservatorship over her if Jeremy gives the video of her breakdown to a judge?

• Love 1

So glad this show didn't disappoint in the finale. I knew that there would be no way Quinn would let Rachel run away with her leading man. IT's Quinn's show.

There is no way Adam was going anywhere and it shows how shallow and surface he really is when someone else shows him another way to come out on top he is on it. Anna was right on with her assessment of him. I hope we don't see him again next season. Bring on the next asshole.

Jeremy's an ass but I'm so glad he showed how manipulative he can be. If he's been working with Rachel's mom all along then, I think that's a little too Bold and the Beautiful for me, it's better if he doesn't know how horrible Rachel's mother is.

But I lost a little respect for Rachel when she panicked because she blew up her relationship with Jeremy. She didn't want Jeremy so she should have been happy that she has an out. Instead she kept lying to him and to herself. Why? I guess she'd rather be with anyone than to be alone. She needs that connection.

Quinn wasn't lying when she says Rachel can seduce anyone, this is why she loves having her as her right hand. She understands Rachel's gift and she also understands that Rachel frequently seduces herself and buys her own bullshit. I believe her when she says she will protect Rachel from anyone who tries to hurt her because Quinn identifies with Rachel.

Rachel, I think is very sick but she needs a real therapist and not the set shrink or her mother. But If Rachel gets better she wont be as effective or ruthless in her job and Quinn knows that.  

OMG I love this show and the backstabbing is epic.

We still don't know why Rachel lost it on last seasons finale, but Quinn does and I think it's a very similar situation.

Edited by Pacodakat
  • Love 4

Could Rachel's mother be granted conservatorship over her if Jeremy gives the video of her breakdown to a judge?

Wouldn't think so.  That was last season so however much time has passed and she's gone to criminal court on those charges and been sentenced (court ordered therapy and road side clean up if I recall correctly).  She's back at the same job where her melt down took place and "appears" to be doing her court ordered therapy and road work.

Pulling out the breakdown now to use in a conseratorship hearing would be pretty toothless if the Mom hadn't started proceedings back when it happened.  And while Rachel is a fucked up person she's not at risk of harming herself or others.  By the entertainment industry standards, she's the picture of mental and emotional health.

• Love 3

Wouldn't it be fun if Anna turns up pregnant by Adam? They did sleep together - and were shown clearly doing more than just sleeping -

That would be fun. As long as they don't make Rachel pregnant and we have to sit through a season wondering who the father of the baby is.

Edited by earlbny
  • Love 3

Huh, kind of a disappointing finale. There was plenty of exciting action for sure, and I don't mind where the episode ended up, but it felt very rushed, like there was an episode or two left on the cutting room floor between last week's episode and this one. 

I agree! Almost like it was originally supposed to be a two hour finale but then got cut back to one hour. I was very confused by the timeline. They are supposed to meet at night... but Adam sneaks out of bed with Anna, hadn't he already snuck out of bed to have that conversation with Rachel? So then the next morning she proposes. But then they all fly to London and the NEXT day have Granny for tea and then THAT evening have the wedding?  I vaguely remember Rachel saying something in the confessional that amounted to "last night we slept together." But at this point, them sleeping together happened several days ago didn't it?

And then Anna makes her statement about Adam being too dumb and walks off and then what? They still have a live show to produce don't they?  Next scene we have Quinn and Rachel in the garden talking as if it is all over.  No post being stood up interview from Adam, no mention of playing a clip reel to kill the rest of the hour (or most likely two hour) time slot they had for the live wedding, nothing. 

I have loved this show and can't wait for the 2nd season, I just hate that this last episode was so sloppy.  

• Love 3