Type keyword(s) to search

Episode v. Feeds: To Tell the Truth

Kromm
  • Start Topic

EXACTLY. The way it was being described in the House, it promised to be the best Meeting speech of the entire season. So WTF happened to it!?!? Someone in Editing watched it and decided, "Nahhh... too much drama"?

In this House??

On THIS show???

REALLY!?!?!?

!!!!!ASSHOLES!!!!!

That is all.

"If we don't cut Steve's speech, then we won't be able to show twenty minutes of Liz and Austin breaking up then getting back together, because if there's one thing America loves it's a showmance!"

Asshats...

• Love 2

Can someone refresh my memory as to what the other HGs think Vanessa does for a living?  I can't remember what she told them way back in the first/second episodes when they all enter the house and introduce themselves.  She was definitely telling people in last night's show that she's an expert in game theory, which is why they should trust her on what's best for their game.  

Can someone refresh my memory as to what the other HGs think Vanessa does for a living?  I can't remember what she told them way back in the first/second episodes when they all enter the house and introduce themselves.  She was definitely telling people in last night's show that she's an expert in game theory, which is why they should trust her on what's best for their game.  

She told them she's a former gambler/current DJ. Which is sort of true. She really does DJ and she isn't as big in the gambling scene as she was a few years ago. But, they have no idea about the scope and reach of her gambling success, and they have no idea that she still gambles for the majority of her income. I think she told them she studied game theory in college, or at least she's strongly hinted at it. And they know that her dad is a big chess fan and that's where she learned her love of games.

• Love 1

She told them she's a former gambler/current DJ. Which is sort of true. She really does DJ and she isn't as big in the gambling scene as she was a few years ago. But, they have no idea about the scope and reach of her gambling success, and they have no idea that she still gambles for the majority of her income. I think she told them she studied game theory in college, or at least she's strongly hinted at it. And they know that her dad is a big chess fan and that's where she learned her love of games.

Imagine their faces when they hand her the $500,000 and then find out how much bank she already has...

Something I found interesting: Julia told Liz that Vanessa gave her unsolicited advice about choosing Austin in the veto challenge. Then Vanessa repeated at least 10-20 times, that Julia looked at her with desperate eyes and begged Vanessa to tell her what to do. And of course, Vaness gave her honest advice, at the detriment of her own game!!

Peachmangosteen brought this up in the episode thread, but it really kind of chapped my ass how they presented Vanessa making up her mind about the vote tonight. She flat out told the twins she would vote however they decided. Of course, this was when she thought she could convince them that Liz needed to go, and for awhile she was correct. So when they finally came to her and said they decided that Julia should go, it made her ridiculous three part deal even more ridiculous, because she had already promised them she would vote how they wanted.

And note the fact that John voted the same way. It was never "John is 100% voting out Liz". He was firmly on board voting out Julia, so Vanessa's "swing vote" wasn't that much of a swing vote.

• Love 1

"If we don't cut Steve's speech, then we won't be able to show twenty minutes of Liz and Austin breaking up then getting back together, because if there's one thing America loves it's a showmance!"

Asshats...

Or it could be a way of telling people, 'see, you should be paying to watch the feeds so you can see the real good stuff instead of the lowest common denominator crap we show during the episodes.'

Asshats...

I didn't need to see the messages from home. Sure, it's a nice thing to do for the HGs, but why take up time on the show for it, especially when there was so much drama in the house between veto ceremony and eviction that they could have shown instead? You know, like Vanessa telling the twins she would vote however they wanted. Just another example of Vanessa getting the mastermind edit without them showing any of her missteps.

And I think that was a big misstep. Vanessa wanted Liz out, and it makes more sense for them to get rid of Liz. Austin and Julia are, I think, both more loyal to Vanessa game-wise than they are to each other. But once Vanessa promised she would follow their wishes, she couldn't risk pissing off all three of the AusTwins by not doing it. And now a pretty strong showmance made up of two people who have shown they can win comps are in final five.

• Love 2

Or it could be a way of telling people, 'see, you should be paying to watch the feeds so you can see the real good stuff instead of the lowest common denominator crap we show during the episodes.'

Don't they realize that most of the country still doesn't have the cheap broadband service that was supposed to be right around the corner a decade and a half ago? As of May, AOL still had two million dial-up users.

I think most viewers assume the best stuff makes it onto the show itself, not vice versa.  The once or twice I tried to watch BBAD it was mind-numbingly dull.  I always assumed the feeds were even lower on the pyramid.

I wouldn't have known there was a Steve speech if I hadn't read it here.  I heard his one sentence and thought, "Wow, no one is mentioning that obvious justification for nominating the twins-- because they're TWINS.  What a bunch of fools.  I'm glad this season is almost over."  (Not, "maybe I should go find more BB content to spend money on.")

I think most viewers assume the best stuff makes it onto the show itself, not vice versa.  The once or twice I tried to watch BBAD it was mind-numbingly dull.  I always assumed the feeds were even lower on the pyramid.

I wouldn't have known there was a Steve speech if I hadn't read it here.  I heard his one sentence and thought, "Wow, no one is mentioning that obvious justification for nominating the twins-- because they're TWINS.  What a bunch of fools.  I'm glad this season is almost over."  (Not, "maybe I should go find more BB content to spend money on.")

You're not wrong about BBAD - jeebus it's soulcrushingly dull: Johnny Mac eats pizza! the twins play pool! badly! Austin fondles Liz! Vanessa talks game! and talks....and talks....and talks...

That's one heckuva niche market they're looking to exploit, then. I don't really think the "I don't buy the feeds but know what I should be seeing anyway and might get enticed into buying the feeds by not seeing it" demographic really represents a large chunk of their potential revenue stream. :) Reminds me of a cartoon in which a really really long-shot Presidential candidate's VP running mate was making a campaign speech to the Vertically-Challenged Near-Sighted Left-Handed Dentists of Pittsburgh:

"In short, gentlemen, I need your votes - both of them."

• Love 1

I actually prefer the feeds to the episodes. The only part of the episodes missing from the feeds are the occasionally great editing jobs (like JMac popping up outta nowhere, or Austin's monkey noises in the veto comp). The DRs are completely useless and 99% scripted. And the episodes cut off a lot of great moments. It helps that there are places like Jokers that recap everything, so each day you can comb through the updates to find the conversations you're most interested in. But, I can't imagine watching this show without also watching the livefeeds. 

• Love 1
The once or twice I tried to watch BBAD it was mind-numbingly dull.  I always assumed the feeds were even lower on the pyramid.

BBAD seems to sortof be a commercial for paying for the live fees.  Its free, but you only get 2-3 hours and that particularly time of the day/night, so if there's something good happening then, great, but if not, that's all you get.  The 24 hour feeds give you the opportunity to see more things because stuff/good conversations/strategy discussions/breakdowns can happen at any time.

I'd buy the live feeds except that I really don't have that sort of time to devote to a show, even over the summer.  When I'm not watching the episodes, I'm usually busy with a ton of other things, work, kids, household chores, other summer TV shows, occasionally reading a book.  The extra hour or two I might have during a particular day isn't enough for me to think that I'd happen to tune in during the 'best' part of the feeds.  Time better spent reading up on the 24+hours that others did watch.

• Love 1

I'd buy the live feeds except that I really don't have that sort of time to devote to a show, even over the summer.  When I'm not watching the episodes, I'm usually busy with a ton of other things, work, kids, household chores, other summer TV shows, occasionally reading a book.  The extra hour or two I might have during a particular day isn't enough for me to think that I'd happen to tune in during the 'best' part of the feeds.  Time better spent reading up on the 24+hours that others did watch.

The notion of buying the feeds tempts me every year, but... but... I have this periodic annoyance thingie commonly referred to as "a real job". 

Just keeping up with posts on here and on Joker's impinges on my work time too much (by my standards) as it is.

If I had the feeds to distract me further, I'd end up getting my ass fired.  :)

• Love 3

ust keeping up with posts on here and on Joker's impinges on my work time too much (by my standards) as it is.

If I had the feeds to distract me further, I'd end up getting my ass fired.  :)

Eh, most of the east coast work day the hamsters are asleep and inactive in terms of gaming though so it's not really that big a threat to "watch", it's more that if you're tempted to stay up when they are active you're over tired at work at most.  Not that I'd know *heh*, but one of my all time favorite moments on tv recently was Ezra Klein commenting on MSNBC that fucking off on the internet is the only thing holding the modern office workplace together. Now that they have archives you can flashback to specific active times w/o literally live feeding at any point.

You didn't always have to pay for the live feeds, did you? Because I remember one season watching them whenever I could (I also have a day job, so could only watch evenings and weekends) and I actually did some recapping for TWoP in the BB recaps thread in the forums. I still have the T-shirt they made with all the recappers names on it. If I could find it, I could find out what season it was. Because there's no way I would ever have paid for it. I know that for a fact. So at some point it MUST have been free.

They have an archive and you can go to particular time stamp, which are documented well by sites like Jokers, Survivor Sucks, Hamstertme/watch. So yes he can go strictly view highlights on whatever time table you want.

I know this episode had a lot to cover, but I really wish they had showed Vanessa's candy display, which she spent hours putting together in order to determine who she wanted to be booted - after John won veto. It was incredibly impressive, and took into account who would win HOH/Veto this week, and who would be safe, who would be a target, and probably about 20 other things I didn't know. The live feeds have an excellent screen cap, and there was some excellent deductions about what all the different candy pieces meant, and which colors pertained to which HG.

Basically, Vanessa went Vanessa, spent all kinds of time coming up with the Incentives to boot Austin, and somehow convinced John (after that first sorry try) to trust her and go along with it. Kudos to her! Although her crying in the DR room about John winning and screwing up her plans is also an honest portrayal of Vanessa the gameplayer.

• Love 3

She has talked about blogging her strategy after getting out of the house.  At a minimum I want someone to email her that picture and ask her to please blog about what the hell each of those skittles represented, it was utterly fascinating to me to try to figure out (and, no, I am still not sure what it all meant),

Even though Probst had to bring him back 57 times before he finally won Survivor, I was very impressed when Rob said he spent part of every night figuring out every other player's best move.

I assumed Vanessa was running every possible permutation, too, while other players might have been content to bounce a little strategy back and forth while canoodling in the hammock.  A graphic representation of V's calculations, in Skittles, would be fun to see.

(But the only way I'd ever read her strategy blog would be if I were confirmed as a Season 15 houseguest.)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

There is editing on the broadcast shows. The way it was presented it made him to appear to be gay. Of course, there isn't anything wrong with that. LOL!! That said, I don't know he is presenting himself on the live feeds when it comes to the other guys. Does anyone know if on the live feeds if he is gay or is it the handy work of the editors? 

Corey has never come out and said that he's gay. Prior to the show starting, there were some years old Tweets of his that were dug up where he was calling his friends "gay" and referring to people as "f***". He claimed in pre-interviews that he was more concerned about his reputation than anything and the moment the feeds turned on, he was incredibly embarrassed when another houseguest referred to him as his wife and reassured his parents that he was straight. Days later, during a conversation he called a bachelor party that his friend had "gay" (which he was rightly called out for). He is very concerned about appearing to be gay. People have been claiming online that he's gay but closeted or curious but from his own mouth, he claims to be straight. So a little from Column A and a little from Column B? (Personally, unless he says otherwise, I'll believe him.)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Callaphera said:

Corey has never come out and said that he's gay. Prior to the show starting, there were some years old Tweets of his that were dug up where he was calling his friends "gay" and referring to people as "f***". He claimed in pre-interviews that he was more concerned about his reputation than anything and the moment the feeds turned on, he was incredibly embarrassed when another houseguest referred to him as his wife and reassured his parents that he was straight. Days later, during a conversation he called a bachelor party that his friend had "gay" (which he was rightly called out for). He is very concerned about appearing to be gay. People have been claiming online that he's gay but closeted or curious but from his own mouth, he claims to be straight. So a little from Column A and a little from Column B? (Personally, unless he says otherwise, I'll believe him.)

Either way, he sure talks about it a lot. 

He certainly does.  And talks a lot about his very hot coworker with a thin frame and juicy lips.  He's sort of a mess.  #NotGayCorey has been trending on Twitter.  If he is confused about or hiding his sexuality, I feel for him and hope he figures it out.  In the meantime, I can't help but speculate, because it's the most interesting thing about him.  So boring. 

• Love 5

Well they certainly have a few scenes where one of the guys walks by and Corey seems to be giving him an appreciative "look".   Either Corey isn't aware of his own same-sex attraction, or the editors have decided to mess with him by splicing things together to make him look that way. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Turtle said:

In the meantime, I can't help but speculate, because it's the most interesting thing about him.  So boring. 

I long for the days when that was the most interesting thing about him. Sadly on the feeds he has shown himself to be a disgusting human being.  I'm sure it will never make an episode, but if you're curious, just Google Corey goat fire

• Love 4
On June 27, 2016 at 6:24 AM, brdwygurl said:

I long for the days when that was the most interesting thing about him. Sadly on the feeds he has shown himself to be a disgusting human being.  I'm sure it will never make an episode, but if you're curious, just Google Corey goat fire

Yeah, his boringness took an unfortunate turn. 

• Love 3

CBS did Zakiyah an edit favor big time leaving out all the rest of that tiff with Paulie. 

Was Michelle drunk when she instantly started crying for throwing the apple? Talk about nuts in a flash.

A track comp really? With 3 of the 5 players being athletes?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'm just curious, for feed watchers, because I don't know if they'll show - is Paulie making his pies every single time he's supposed to?

In so many words....kind of. He made the first pie, as shown on the show, and he was crying and talking about how he misses his family and his ex girlfriend and how he just wants to go home. But the second pie he made....well, basically it took them over a day after the other prizes were given to give Paulie his (presumably, he complained and said he wouldn't do it). So he made his first pie, but when they immediately zinged him for his second pie, he was outside running and ignored it. He ignored the calls to DR. He didn't wear his mic. They had to go to fish for a bit as he refused to make a second pie. When the feeds came back, Corey was with Paulie, giving him a stern pep talk, telling him to suck it up and make the damn pies and to not basically give up and lie down. After that, he's been making the pies when they ask him to. 

But needless to say, Paulie's made only four or five pies because of his temper tantrums. They may not want to waste the food (as Paulie throws each pie out if nobody's eating them) but I also think they're going easy on him. They should be punishing him, but they don't seem to be. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I'm just curious, for feed watchers, because I don't know if they'll show - is Paulie making his pies every single time he's supposed to?

To the best of my recollection, yes - but, mind you, not without an inordinate degree of complaining / foot-dragging / crying / wailing / gnashing of teeth / etc. which would do a three-year-old in an aisle at Wal-Mart proud.  

For every single mother-lovin' pie.  

Which is actually kinda okay; i figure Paulie's tears probably add juuussst the right amount of extra saltiness the pies would otherwise be lacking.  :>

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Thanks, guys! I could totally see him throwing a fit over HIS punishment, and I see I wasn't wrong. 

Your rightness in this respect is so monumental it should be named Right Rushmore.  ;)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AndreaK1041 said:

That horrible montage tonight of Corey cleaning was filmed a long time ago when he was a have not and couldn't sleep in the little bumper car.  

Well damn!  How did you figure that out? I thought he was just wound up about noms, etc. 

10 hours ago, leslieo54 said:

Imagine them (consistently, and multiple people) calling Christian, African-American woman Dominique 'DaVonne' - that wouldn't fly, and this shouldn't either. 

Actually, Jessica has indeed called Dom Da'Vonne. Jason has as well. I've only heard them say it one time, though.

42 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Actually, Jessica has indeed called Dom Da'Vonne. Jason has as well. I've only heard them say it one time, though.

Good god, I missed this.  

I like this thread, thank you!  I have a violation because I got confused twice last season and thought I was in the live feed discussion thread.  I stopped even going to the episode thread after that.    

I am not sure this thread will see much action though, unfortunately.  

45 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Man, Jessica just can't seem to remember her own housemates' pesky names, can she? 

And I say the above with sarcastic love. 

Also, I totally forgot that this thread existed, even with it right in front of my face. 

(edited)

Dom has a superior attitude.  How condescending.  He did not think this amusing. d

Big Brother Access‏ @bigbroaccess  8m8 minutes ago

More

Dominque to Mark: How does your new underwear feel? Mark: Huh? Dominque: Those Big Girl Panties, you put on.

ETA,  I meant to put this in the live feed discussion.  See?  I confuse easily.  LOL!

Edited by wings707
(edited)

The rules for the different threads are a little confusing to me, too, but I think this thread is exactly what I was hoping for--I want to get some extra insight from the feedwatchers about why people act the way they do on the show.

It seems like the editors could condense the hours down into an accurate picture, but maybe I underestimate the difficulty--or maybe they need to save the best stuff for the pay-per-view.  (No streaming available at my location.  Bummer.)

ETA:  For the people who stop by here and drop a little off-camera background on us:  Thanks!!

Edited by candall

tl;dr summary: The editors on Big Brother suck and we already know that but I'm going to bitch about them anyway.

I'm throwing this in here because it deals with both the feeds and the episodes:

So the Megan DOR. What we saw on that one episode is all we're going to see, clearly. All we have to go off of is that and what they say on the feeds. I know Megan did that interview but like they say, there's three sides to every story: his side, her side, and the truth. 

According to Megan's interview, her PTSD was triggered by the men yelling in her face. We saw Josh yelling at her (from seemingly random) and we saw Codybot telling her unemotionally that he didn't like her. Last night or the night before, it was said on the feeds that there was an argument involving Megan that happened when they had an alcohol delivery before the feeds turned on.

So either Josh's outburst to her was post-alcohol (and it really didn't seem like it) or there was another unnamed, unmentioned fight that involved her in the early days that was fueled - on one side, at least - by alcohol. 

And this is where the episode part of it comes in: Because the editing pisses me off. What we saw was the Josh confrontation (that she handled very well) and the Cody confrontation (which really wasn't a confrontation). And then she DORs. It makes her look like she dropped because of one fight and one person in power putting her on the block. We have to read between the lines, through what they say on the feeds and what she said in the interview, to get a still murky idea of what happened and neither of them may be that accurate. I don't expect them to edit every single moment in the truest sense possible. I know better. I know the editors have a story arc that they have to cover as dictated to them by production. But still.

It's not that I have a burning desire to know every single detail of what happened there. But the unanswered questions surrounding it niggle me a bit. Especially with how the HGs talk about Megan and how they covered her picture up on the wall (temporarily) with what looked like the Have Not eating rules sheet. Basically, I feel like the editing did Megan - and her story - a big disservice and while I don't expect any better, I did wish and hope for better.