Type keyword(s) to search

Past Season Discussion: Year of the Horse

Bort

I think this is a nice little show. Was kind of hoping the boyfriend would have already known the truth or figured it out himself. They'll probably save that for Hilary Duff's character in the future or perhaps the boss'. But I am curious to see where they go with it for season 2. Could be fun seeing him play into her antics and possibly the daughter.

I think this is a nice little show. Was kind of hoping the boyfriend would have already known the truth or figured it out himself. They'll probably save that for Hilary Duff's character in the future or perhaps the boss'. But I am curious to see where they go with it for season 2. Could be fun seeing him play into her antics and possibly the daughter.

I enjoy the show, and just suspend disbelief over no one really questioning Liza's declaration of being 26.  Sutton Foster looks great, but I'd think any person looking closely at things like the neck area, around the eyes and her hands would realize that Liza is closer to 40 than she is 30.     

I enjoy the show, and just suspend disbelief over no one really questioning Liza's declaration of being 26.  Sutton Foster looks great, but I'd think any person looking closely at things like the neck area, around the eyes and her hands would realize that Liza is closer to 40 than she is 30.     

I think that may be why the Jane Krakowski character is the only one who caught on - everyone else on this show pretty much believes what everyone else in their social circle believes. That means you don't really look.

I think that may be why the Jane Krakowski character is the only one who caught on - everyone else on this show pretty much believes what everyone else in their social circle believes. That means you don't really look.

That's probably true.  I thought Diana Trout would have caught on (or heck, any woman of a certain age), if only because they've shown she is somewhat shrewd, like when she found a copy of the "The Babushka" to prove that "The Scarf" was plagiarized.  However, she seems in the dark.   

This show would be good if almost every character, especially the younger ones, weren't total stereotypes. Don't get me started on the idiotic Lauren. When they shift to the older characters there is this sense of relief. The situation at the BF's home seems pretty juvenile for guys pushing 30, and like I said, the idiotic Lauren and her home life aren't worth delving into.

Oh, and the endless Twitter crap and the text messages popping up onscreen. Social media isn't very interesting and will quickly date this show.

Finally, how exactly did a woman who gave birth at 22 manage a career if she stayed home to raise her daughter and was out of the work force for 15 years? That would have meant she got pregnant in college and never even made it to intern level. No sweetie, you don't have to get a job at a mall spraying perfume, but you will likely have to settle for a different career path.

• Love 1

Yeah, the math on that really bothers me as well. My guess is that the daughter should have been about 12, but they decided that they needed her to be about 17 and off to boarding school instead so that Liza doesn't look bad for reliving her youth when she should be mothering her daughter.

The only way this works is if she had worked for the first couple years of her daughter's life, and then took off.

• Love 1

Just recently discovered the show and I am so diggin' it! I binged watched and caught up in a matter of weeks. The only reason I happened upon Younger was an advertisement that kept popping up on my Facebook, if not for that Ad I would've never known about this amazing show! As far as actor recognition goes the only one I recognize is Kelsey (Hilary Duff) but that doesn't even matter.. they were all cast perfectly. Josh (NICO!!!).. need I say more, he is such a unique and personable character and well, hot! Every episode leaves you wanting more and wishing that it was longer than 30 min. Lol! The only character that I sometimes find obsolete is Liza's daughter, at times I wish they would've have ditched that part of the story line altogether but other than that, I'm hooked! I've downloaded the TV land app just to watch this show! I not sure why but this show excites me so much.. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what Liza will do next!

The marathon was helpful in that the last two episodes of it were flagged as "new" by the tv guide, so my DVR recorded them and I discovered that I hadn't watched the finale. I saw the book fair episode but not the one after it (which is weird because apparently, they were both aired the same night), so I had thought the season ended with Liza seeing the rose petal proposal. I had been wondering why the season 4 trailer was concentrating on Kelsey having learned the truth when I hadn't seen that happen. Til now.

(edited)

So I just recently finished up my binge of the show, and pretty much read every post here about it, lol. Now that the new season is coming up soon, thought I would revive a general discussion of the show in preparation.

Things I really liked:

Josh - turned out to be a good, standup guy. Probably not right for Liza in the long run, but just what she needed to get her mojo back, and I think they will continue to be friends. I really liked the scene where she mentioned that she wanted him in her life as a friend or the "cool aunt to his children" sort of thing. I have no idea if they will get back together, even temporarily, and I'm not sure I want them to, though overall I would classify myself as Team Josh.

Maggie - love her character - the painting slash was satisfying, and the roof chicken situation was awesome! I kind of dug her and Lauren as a couple, too bad it didn't work out. Hopefully she will find someone on her wavelength, or at least continue to have a fabulous life.

The publishing drama and backstabbing is usually interesting. The characters based on real celebrities/literary figures are fun - I thought that Jade had to be exaggerated until I looked up her inspiration, yikes. I had never heard of Cat Marnell - hopefully she is on the right path now. She's a beautiful girl but wow, her own worst enemy.

When Kelsey found out Liza's secret and Josh saw the Kiss - I was 100% on board with the Liza freeze-out by both characters. Liza kissing Charles really teed me off, especially the "this feels so good" - What the Hell Liza? Yes, Josh was being impetuous with the idea of the proposal, but it was how he felt and Maggie encouraged him to follow his heart. I felt so bad for him when he saw the kiss. I really did not like Liza for a good couple of episodes. That being said, I like how the rifts were resolved, and they came about at the right time. Any longer would've been overkill, but any shorter would've felt like too soon. 

Things I'm mixed about:

Diana - she was not a nice person in the beginning. I confess I'm a bit flummoxed by the early love for her here. She is more fleshed out as a person and is more sympathetic (and funnier) now, but for a while I did not like her at all. She is growing on me though, and I'm certainly glad she kicked Richard and his son to the curb. Her dress and manner of speaking make her seem a lot older than Liza, though.

Lauren - a fun and funny character most of the time, but sometimes a bit too much. Drugging people is never cool, glad Josh called her out on that. And I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when she settled down into a "normal" relationship, but hey, if she was happy, good for her - but then it turned out she wasn't happy and really handled the whole thing terribly.

The clothes - I've loved some of Liza's pieces/outfits, especially in the first two seasons. Season three became hit or miss, and season four mostly went off the rails - what's with all the ruffles and super short skirts? They are dressing her younger and younger and she looks ridiculous much of the time. The shoes took a nosedive as well. Diana is hit or miss, with the clothes and the jewelry. Kelsey is usually a hot mess.

Things I don't like:

Josh and the Irish chick, for obvious reasons. I hope things don't go horribly wrong for Josh, but it doesn't look good.

Liza's waffling - I like Liza overall though I don't always like her behavior. It is very tough to know what she's really thinking. I guess she's the "Carrie" of the show, but I always felt like I knew what Carrie really wanted in SatC, even when she was saying and doing the opposite. Liza is harder to read. She always seemed like she loved being with Josh, they have great chemistry and have fun together, yet they also have good discussions and he has always been supportive of her career, and vice versa. I get that she and Charles have a lot in common, but I just have a hard time seeing the spark there - which brings me to:

Charles - boring. I realize he's the boss and has to maintain a certain air of authority and detachment, but Yawn. I admit he loosened up just a bit in the past season, and I'm not as vehemently opposed to a Charles/Liza pairing as a I once was, but the show has some work to do to get me on board this train. Plus, WTF is all this nonsense with his wife? And how is he so in love with Liza, and she with him? I guess the show wants us to fill in a lot of blanks, because their "romance" has gotten short shrift as far as development IMO.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2