Type keyword(s) to search

The Bastard Executioner - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wilkin and Toran encounter a new timeline for their revenge. Lady Love gets a surprise visit from an unlikely ally.

Not even an episode thread yet for this episode.  This is getting dire....

Interestingly, this might have been my favorite episode so far, pretty much due to the return of Gruffudd.  Because a) Matthew Rhys is awesome in general and b) the reveal that he and Love are half-siblings, is a cool twist, and it allowed them to have a lot of scenes, which works since Love is my favorite of the regular cast.  Hopefully, we'll be seeing more of this.

Besides that, the rest was a bit more typical.  Wilkin and Toran are forced to kill a solider, so they try to get their revenge done by the night.  Of course, Wilkin's "wife" fucks all that up, and runs to Corbett.  Corbett though, instead lets them torture one of the soldiers who was at the massacre, and find out who actually killed each of their relatives.  Because Corbett actually wants to have this crew work for him.  Because they can do things the soldiers can't or something.

Annora and her stupid accent now has thorns coming out of her body, and apparently has magical healing powers.  She claims it is an omen of something bad, and tells Father Ruskin about it.

Oh, and Ed Sheeren returns, which once again makes me laugh, because, again, it's Ed Sheeren.  In this setting.  On this show.

• Love 1

I liked it.  Maybe because it sends me back to one of my baser, gut forms of enjoyment.  I'm NOT a "bodice ripper" type but I feel real, mature chemistry between Lady Love and whatshisface.  I want to see where that goes.  She needs an heir badly.  He needs fulfillment of a "wife" and child that was taken from him.  They both need each other for different but plausible reasons.  So -- it's not a "oo, hot, let's screw" -- the chemistry is based in practical reasons as well as acknowledged attraction.  (Burly guy actually said it in this episode.   To her face.  The only problem is that it was pretty unbelievable, honestly.  The dialogue was right out of a Barbara Cartland novel.)

• Love 1

The actor playing Gaveston really played the Eurotrash angle to the hilt, no? What an annoying pipsqueak. He's having an affair with someone famous, which makes him think he's all that as well. He isn't, and IRL found that out sooner or later.

Gotta love how the fresh food on the table was gradually replaced as the food grew old, all so the king can have a banquet whenever he wants.

"Best left to the imagination" is probably the biggest understatement in the show so far. Nobody else needs to know what happens behind closed doors between three consenting adults and their cage full of consenting rats.

• Love 2
I'm still in for Lady Love and Isabel's scenes together and my desire to see the chamberlain meet a grisly end. Why is it that chamberlains in fiction are always the bad guys? What I'm most afraid of, now, is what Gaveston said would happen to Love if she was discovered in her deception, and that Wilken would be ordered to do the deed. Is it wrong that I don't hate Witch Bundy? I'm actually growing to like She Of The Hideous Accent.

This one and last week were enjoyable and entertaining. I don't have a massive hate-on for the show. It's not great, nor is it the worst thing in tv history either. The show has hit whatever stride it's going to hit. Baroness and the handmaiden are a lot of fun to watch.

I didn't think that the BA and his boy were being set up to burn the wife either. That was cold.  

If the show is like these last two episodes, I think it will be a bit of fun. 

I mean, Lady Love is going get pregnant by the BA. I love it. Kind of like on Rome when they had the soldier stand in for Caesar. 

And one of them was a little person! Great reaction shots.

I think maybe the presentation of the show might have been problematic, with the 90 minute episode. Clearly, with this week and the last, the show had found its stride. It's not going to be great, but it's been enjoyable.

Sometimes a show needs some time. Had they not had the presentation of 90 minutes at a pop, they might have gotten to Love's plot quicker. She clearly is the strength of the show. With her handmadien talking about "berries."

I like the conceit that Chamberlain Bill has the BE and his boy over a barrel. He knows it and he's going to use it. I think the show could have gotten to that quicker. The scenes with the 'son' have been good too. Same thing I think. Had the show gotten to those quicker. 

Oh, by the way, you're wife be *cray*, Punisher. Tell me about it.

I am the only person still watching the show. Actually really liked this week's episode; lots of plot movement and Milus got to be even creepier than usual. Love is running out of time to get knocked up though, you'd think she would have pushed for a quickie in the bedroom when she had the chance

• Love 1

I am going to eat all of the food left on this ship before it sinks. 

I almost threw it in after last week, but I preferred this week.  Last week just seemed stuck, but it has gotten a little more interesting now that more people are in on the ruse.

I like this show.  Sue me.

I have to say, though, the lead actor has these really, really bad scenes (in my opinion) and then he has perfectly fine ones.  The admission scene with Lady Love was absolutely cringeworthy.  Even she couldn't save it.

BUT, it got some amazing plot points across that I love -- so I can deal with the abysmal acting.

• Love 3

I get the feeling that karma is going to be a real bitch eventually for the Twins, especially now that the BE knows they distracted him while his friend was being killed.

It took me a while to realize it, but the "casual" torture of the patsy during scenes in the dungeon was a necessary part of the preparation for the execution. They needed to dislocate the shoulders and hips first to ensure that things would go smoothly.

When the church knight was preventing Father Breve from getting into the chapel, I got the feeling that he was mentally determining exactly how to kill the guy, but then decided not to bother.

• Love 1

Wtf is going on with this show? This episode completely jumped the shark. Maddox is very sloppy in his huge confession. Kissing the Baroness I get, but Sleeping with Jessamy aka crazy wife makes her fall in love with him even more. Sure he thought it was a 'pity-last death' smashing session...but cmon! Did you forget about your dead blonde wife?

Another brutal execution. These people have so many gory ways of killing offenders. On the ick factor, this show is worse than Spartacus. And why the pomp and pageantry? At least this one was quick.

Now we have to wait 2 weeks for the next episode.

The priest is a total bad ass. But the Annora storyline makes absolutely no sense. They should just drop it. So much else going on. Is the burned guy Longshanks?

Edited by Spiderella2

Spiderella2, I agree that the confession scene was very poorly acted.  That lead guy is hit-or-miss.  He can border on smoldering and then, just, completely fall flat.  (Unlike, say, that big guy in The Red Road who is just SMOKING HOT at every turn.  And a very capable actor -- I mean, really good, to boot.  Damn, that show was just brilliant.  ANYway....)

I have no problem with the guy sleeping with Jessamy, the crazy wife.  He thought his life was coming to an end.  This is the Middle Ages -- he's not Socrates or St. Augustine.  He's a knight who is in self-exile and "undercover" to avenge the death of his very beloved wife and child.  I get that he's not a rocket scientist.  It was a groovy way to say goodbye to the world and give this poor, sad, nut job what she'd been begging for as his wife (her duty, it feels good, she wants to sleep with her husband, what's the crime?)  So, he does as one last farewell to everything.  I'm cool with that.

I just have mixed feelings about all the squeamishness.  This is a brutal time, Game of Thrones has made everyone look for a certain "feel" to their Medieval soap operas (so had Outlander -- which I hear is very, very, very violent but i've never seen it)  and this is a Sutter project.  It's going to be violent.  So, I'm a little baffled by the viewership pearl-clutching.  If it bothers then turn away, close your eyes, fast forward, whatever.  (I'm speaking of the "collective you" not anyone person in particular.  I'm uncomfortable talking board-on-board.  It's a hangover from being a TWoP denizen.)

I'm also good with Annora being a mystery.  That story is unfolding and is probably the driving force behind the whole plot line.

As for the burn victim, he's a Templar.  Also a knight, like Brattle/Maddox.  Sounds like Brattle may have been a Roman soldier but I was unclear on that.  He said, in that horrible and awkward confession scene to Love, that "his legion" was sent to sure death in a losing battle against the Scots.  He survived by a miracle.  We saw that play out in the premier so we know it's his truth.  (It's also where he first met the Chamberlain or whatever Lammy Lamb is.)

• Love 1

I just think the show in convoluted.  BE comes out to Love and doesn't mention the chamberlain is really shady?  Love knows that the chamberlain is really shady and trying to manipulate her and the shire.  Why is the chamberlain still alive?  I know he has dirt on everyone, but he's a commoner and I don't think anyone would question if he had an "accident".

I also think that there being two characters with secret half-sibling is lazy writing.  This season is half way done and the Anora sub-plot doesn't interest me.

• Love 1

If I understand it correctly, it's because while on a mission for the Evil Chamberlain, Maddox and Cohort killed one of Evil Chamberlain's men (by accident?)  So, Evil Chamberlain retaliated.

ETA:  Everyone was so covered in mud on that mission that I couldn't tell who was wearing a blue pinny and who wasn't.  

Edited by Captanne

Yes Milus had given them one of the guilty knights to torture and kill with the understanding that even if they learned the identities of the other ones (which they did) they were not to touch them. Then one of the rebels killed a named knight during the heist and only Wilkin and his buddy saw, so Milus killed their friend as a retaliation for letting one of the knights die. This is why they were in a rush to see him when they returned to let him know they didn't do it, cause they knew he would do something to punish them.

• Love 1

Something I forgot to mention in the last post: This episode is the first time I've ever heard "heinous" pronounced so that it rhymes with "penis."

------

You know how BE was sitting and reading a Bible a couple of episodes ago? And Lady BurnedToDeath had a Bible with her? I just remembered that the Catholic Church banned private ownership of the Bible until the 16th century because they didn't want people trying to interpret scripture without a priest being involved. So either the writers didn't know/care or the characters don't know/care.

(Incidentally, that's one of exactly three things I remember from high-school freshman history class, the other two being the fact that the Medici coat of arms was balls, and that the Diet of Worms was not an especially gross weight loss plan.)

• Love 2

I'm still watching, but I honestly wait for the weekend, because the On Demand version then has no commercials, and I think that was one of the biggest hurdles for me.  I honestly think, while still not all that good, the episodes flow much better when these suckers don't drag out for an hour and thirty minutes.  I still wonder if this is FX's fault (more commercials!) or if Sutter just likes to stuff all of his episodes.  Maybe it's both, since I know Sons of Anarchy was practically getting two hour episodes in it's final season.  Of course, this show is no where near that in the ratings department.

I did like that Wilkins has already admitted to Love who he really is, but I am confused over why he only put it on him, and didn't mention Corbett's involvement.  Even if he feels like he should be punished for the other Baroness' death, I would think he'd like Love to know what Corbett was really capable of.  And, in the end, it didn't work, because Love knew there was more to it, so he still had to go through with the execution.  He just isn't a very bright lead.  And the actor is very compelling either.  Pretty much everyone he's acting opposite of in the majority of his scenes; Love, Prichard, even Corbett; outshine him.

Anora's stuff is still dull, although bringing Father Ruskin into it, is kind of intriguing since I like him.  I just hope Wilkins' buddy doesn't take a fall for helping out.

Wilkins' crazy "wife" is totally going to get pregnant after their little moment, right?  Thinking they will do that for him, have Love accept the other Baron's marriage proposal, so we can get the double the dose of angst and drama.

• Love 1

If Love doesn't accept the other Baron's proposal then she's basically SOL. It's not like she can hold land or title. She'd have to go over to half-bro and run the rebellion. I like how no one believes she's pregnant either. 

I record and watch everything to skip commercials. I'm sure that affects my viewing experience.

I think the show is as good as it's going to get. It's good. I'm enjoying myself. Great? No. I don't think the acting is emmy worthy, but it isn't junk either.

Chamberlain Bill putting the screws to the BE and his buddy is fun to watch. And all of Lady Love's scenes. 

I like the scenes with the BE and the boy. Just the relief on the kid's face all the time. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

I enjoyed this episode. I still like Lady Love (despite her silly name) more than almost anything or anyone else. She has a great medieval face, and she can act. The scenes with Willkin and Maddox's son are always good. They have good chemistry. Maybe the actor who plays Willkin can spend the hiatus (assuming a second season) working on his acting skills. Watching Stephen Moyer chew the scenery as the Chamberlain has been fun.

• Love 1

To be fair to the Hollywood beefcake, the actor who plays Ragnar in "Vikings" was the very same Tarzan in "Tarzan" that Television Without Pity ravaged for his absolutely terrible acting.  And, imo, rightly so.  He was an Australian Underwear Model and that was about it.

Now, if you watch "Vikings" you wouldn't recognize him.  He's just amazing, imo.  He's become a wonderful actor.  

So -- even in this exact type of role -- there is always room for improvement and some actually do improve.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3

I don't think the guy is that bad of an actor. Some actors need more direction than others. Some take a little more time to find themselves in the character. Honestly, the show is entertaining, but the writing could be stronger. Not ever actor can rise above the material. 

• Love 3

The barons declare open season on Gaveston, and Lady Love leverages the situation like a boss, getting a tentative agreement that she'll be allowed to manage the suppression of the rebellion her way and getting some cold hard cash. Now all she has to do is capture him. That task falls in the lap of the BE and chamberlain. Meanwhile, Bishop Skinner sends a bunch of goons to try and capture the healer, but they run into a few small difficulties in the way of a cave full of deadly traps that kill most of them, but no healer. She's over at the beach, where her boyfriend demonstrates why you don't mess with the Templar-nator. And back at the castle, awkwardness and insanity ensue when BE's wife catches him kissing the baroness.

Boy, when I call it, I call it. The twins did not have a happy time of it.

Our featured torture method this week is the Spanish Donkey (aka Wooden Horse). Make someone straddle a triangular peaked wooden structure that comes to a sharp point, then add weights to their legs. Varying levels of damage to the genital region result. Note that Chamberlain Mean Guy called it a "cradle", probably confusing it with the somewhat similar Judas Cradle.

I missed the reason for going after the boy as well. Maybe they didn't reveal it yet.

The priest dude outside the cave said to watch for "the boy" Father Ruskin would be teaching. Presumably they think he is teaching him the stuff he read about in Anorra's book

Looked up Gaveston's downfall as I know he ended up dying in Warwick which is pretty far from Wales but he was in fact apprehended in Pembroke.

To give him credit, the same sort of scene in the next episode came across MUCH better and actually took advantage of the heat it generated.  He has the prettiest soft face when he smiles....sigh.  I mean that in an entirely professional and objective sense, of course.  Ahem.  

I caught the orders about the Priest but then was caught off guard by adding in the death sentence on the boy.  Why would he think that the boy knows anything?  As far as I know, the only one teaching the kid to read is Wilk and why would anyone think the priest would teach this particular child -- or anyone at all, for that matter, wasn't he sworn to secrecy by Annora? -- about the books?  I totally don't get that.

As opposed to the last scene between Love and Wilk, which was painfully bad (unintentionally, I assume), this one was great.  Not brilliant but at least not sub-par.  For two people who are dealing with "the love that cannot be denied" they generated some heat.

That actor playing Wilk has the prettiest, most kissable face when he smiles.  Seriously.  I want to kiss that face when he's smiling.  He's so gentle and kind looking.  Wow.  I was surprised by that.  It's nice!

Edited by Captanne

Ok - after watching this season so far....I'll adapt my previous take on the executioner's "whose your daddy" game.

Since they've added the whole knights templar and the book(s) of the nazarene to the mix...as well as a nun attempting to drown our hero as a baby....and our hero (as an infant) being saved by a templar knight and young nun....

It might be safe to say that our hero executioner is of the nazarene bloodline.

(google: "templar knights and bloodline of christ" for the full conspiracy theory)

• Love 1

The chamberlain apparently had suspicions about them, so he deliberately fed them some information designed to get them to run if they were working with Gaveston, and was ready to nab them if they ran. They would have been ok if they had stayed put.

• Love 1

Looks that way. It's a little disconcerting when the comic relief turns all psycho-killer. The stuff with Bernadette was funny though.

So the healer is BE's mother. I suppose that would make the burned guy his father. Hmm...burned guy...father...I wonder if he has a lightsaber.

Oh, I don't know -- I like the actors' performances for the Chamberlain and the Baroness.  I also like Wilkin often times.  (Although he's had some really badly acted scenes -- the first "I lurve you" scene with Love, for example.  Wow, that was bad.)  I like the priest.

So, I'm not sure all the acting is bad.  I'm not sure that is the problem with this show.

Honestly, the only one who makes me nuts is Gemma.  It's part the character -- who didn't think of Frau Blucher from Young Frankenstein when she revealed, "My son!" last week? -- and mainly the portrayal from the actor (sorry, Gemma) to the wardrobe, nudity, and OMFG the hair.

• Love 1

Although I found this show had problems, I did enjoy it and there were high spots.  (The Chamberlain's performance, the chemistry between Love and Wilkin when they were on target, the maiden assistant, some parts of the plotline).

But, overall, the show was mediocre -- so I'm glad to see the "system" works and shows that are expensive but fair-to-middling get winnowed out.

• Love 2