Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E00: Road To The Runway Season 14

• Start Topic

Road To The Runway is available online now. No spoiler tags are needed to discuss here.

Don't read the thread if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to know what happens in advance.

Thanks Nidratime!

Had this in the media thread, but decided to put it here in spoilers....

Have you all seen the "Road to the Runway" episode that was posted yesterday on Yahoo? It introduces all of the designers for this season. Pretty interesting. By the way,

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/project-runway-road-to-the-runway-full-episode-the-125434964335.html

Nice cast! I can never tell anything about anyone's talent and potential before the season starts. But I like the personalities. They seem like an interesting group with lots of personality, and in a good way. Can't wait for Thursday!

Road to the Runway has started making me more sad than hopeful.  You see all these interesting people with interesting ideas and cool designs, and you just know how little that has to do with doing well on this show.  I thought the woman from Austin (blonde with mascara) had one of the least interesting portfolios, but I predict she'll do well because she seems to be sewing perfectionist with a pretty basic aesthetic (midrange mall) that can be executed quickly.  On the other hand, I liked jellyfish-inspired guy, but he's never going to get enough money/fabric or time to pull any of those tricks off.  

Of the collections I generally liked, the only one that looked remotely suited to the sad and unfortunate limitations the show forces onto the contestants these days was the one by the guy from New Zealand.  

Plus-size woman is my prediction for the first auf.  I didn't respond positively to those clothes, and she already seems geared up for a meltdown.  Bad combo.

I'm kind of rooting for plus size woman, because it takes nads for a plus size designer to specialize in upholstery fabric (Oscar de la Renta said once that he didn't design for plus sized women because he was "a designer, not an upholsterer," but later backed off of that when he made clothes for Barbara Bush and then started an upholstery line). I tend to agree, though, that she's going to leave early, just because she broke down in tears during her interview and that's the kind of hamhanded foreshadowing the edit monkeys like.

Sadly, I think you're also right that we're going to be stuck with this year's ice princess til close to the end, just because we're always stuck with the ice princess (and the combative full-figured dude and the Betty Page woman) til close to the end.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I just watched this and it motivated me to actually sign in to write something! 

The something I want to express is my total sadness at how these young designers seem to have some talent, interesting ideas and drive and how, after fourteen seasons, I know that by the time each of them are auf'd they will be ground into fashionable dust.  This show holds out the ideal of winning based on talent and effort and then appears to provide an experience that seems more akin to Survivor meets Big Brother.  The show puts these poor designers through a high-pressure meat grinder of competitions which have nothing to do with fashion or creation, while locked in a claustrophobic workroom, unable to escape the cameras or each other.  

Well, as the previous posters have noted, we're probably going to end up with copious quantities of tears as the plus-size designer is auf'd first, because we remember the horror experienced every time there is a "design for a real person (who is not six feet tall and a size zero)" week.  Then the final few will be the preppy-ish self-regarding guy, the combative large guy, the Bettie Page, and the ice princess.

At least with this preview anyone who is seriously interested in the designers as designers can have a few minutes before they are turned loose in a meat packing plant to create uniforms to be worn at VegansRUs on tofu chicken wings night.  

I apologize, the sarcasm is roaring through me as the final minutes of the preview tick on.  At least I got to see Uncle Tim and the pre-judges, none of which were Michelle, and they all appeared supportive of the newbies.

• Love 8

At least I got to see Uncle Tim and the pre-judges, none of which were Michelle

I was tickled to see Bradon and Dmitry, and as you point out, at least Amanda's not Michelle. Also, if Amanda has ganked the I'm my own girl™ slot, it (with any luck) signals an end to the Laura Kathleen pre-judge reign of terror moving forward.

Mondo was hilarously awkward trying to find supportive things to say about some of those designers. 

• Love 3

Loved seeing Tim. And I kinda' like Mondo but at first glance I thought Amanda was Gretchen and had to catch my breath! Fun to see Dmitry.

I think what bothered me most about the intros was seeing some really fabulously creative clothes and some really talented designers and knowing that for the next so many weeks I probably won't see a peplum or sleeves and probably more than one unfinished hem.

They ask for way too much in way too little time anymore.

• Love 2

I kind of liked Lindsey (from Austin), and I liked her clothes. I don't think she'll last until the end, though, because at some point, they're going to tell her she's boring and not high fashion, which may be true. She doesn't seem very high fashion, but she does (I think) make clothes that women would buy and wear, which won't make her famous, but might provide a pretty good living. Also, at some point Heidi is going to think her clothes aren't sexy enough.

I also really liked Laurie (the one with the unplanned little girl). I really liked her clothes. I want those clothes. That means she won't last either. (Heidi will also probably think her clothes aren't sexy enough because her skirts go below the crotch.) People who make clothes I like don't win. People who make things I think are hideous win.

Joseph (combative large guy) might win me over if he's really good. He's going to have to be really talented, though, with an ego like that.

Also, if Amanda has ganked the I'm my own girl™ slot, it (with any luck) signals an end to the Laura Kathleen pre-judge reign of terror moving forward.

What is the Laura Kathleen pre-judge reign of terror? (I think this is the first time I've watched Road to the Runway.)

ETA: I forgot to say I hated Gabrielle (hat girl) and think David (Belgian guy) is going to win. I don't like his stuff much, but it's different, and he has an accent.

Edited by auntlada

I'm glad I saw this thread so I could watch this now instead of waiting. Too many people to remember who is who, but, there were too many people either describing themselves as or implying that they're a bitch, so I'm expecting too much drama. Also, too many pieces of clothing being described as high/low.

• Love 1

I'm glad I saw this thread so I could watch this now instead of waiting. Too many people to remember who is who, but, there were too many people either describing themselves as or implying that they're a bitch, so I'm expecting too much drama. Also, too many pieces of clothing being described as high/low.

I forgot about the high/low thing. What's the deal with that? I guess it's in style? Why?

• Love 1

What is the Laura Kathleen pre-judge reign of terror? (I think this is the first time I've watched Road to the Runway.)

I don't know if you remember Laura Kathleen. She thought of herself as a southern aristocrat - she brought it up kind of a lot - and designed everything for "her girl," who dressed like Hee Haw Barbie (she calls herself "Barbie with a bite"). They brought her back in All Stars, and then on their follow-up miniseries, and for some reason they've had her on to help choose the new contestants something like three times now. Frankly, I question how much power that panel has over the final decision - I'm pretty sure producers have a bigger say - but Laura Kathleen was very enthusiastic about designers whose "girl" seemed like a good fit for her own "girl." I guess I don't really warm to her aesthetic, so I'm pleased she's not an influence this season. 

Also, too many pieces of clothing being described as high/low.

I forgot about the high/low thing. What's the deal with that? I guess it's in style? Why?

High/low has been in mid-range catalogues for years now, so I'm not sure why people are presenting them as fashion-forward, but I think people buy them because they show your legs and minimize your ass. 

Edited by Julia

At least with this preview anyone who is seriously interested in the designers as designers can have a few minutes before they are turned loose in a meat packing plant to create uniforms to be worn at VegansRUs on tofu chicken wings night.

Don't forget the part where they have to race across a field and then grab as many seat belts as they can rip out the trunks of this season's Sponsored Car to use as the material for their designs!

• Love 2

Don't forget the part where they have to race across a field and then grab as many seat belts as they can rip out the trunks of this season's Sponsored Car to use as the material for their designs!

Ha! I might love an episode where we're led to believe it's a standard sponsored car showing and instead it turns into unconventional strip the car of its parts.  

The one called Gabrielle basically showed the Malene Birger A/W 2014/15 collection as her own!! It was all there - neoprene raglan coat, plaid with sequins, etc etc. I am shocked - that's way beyond Kara Saun's Gucci borrowings. I guess Danish designers are not so well known in the U.S., perhaps? I think the bigger woman will last until epi 3, like the other older contestants have - my money is on poor Edmond, fifth-time-lucky to be first out. I'd bet on Mr New Zealand to win, but that would be two in a row, so maybe wool-in-Las Vegas man??

While I want to support a plus-sized designer, I find Ashley's aesthetic to be highly unflattering.  High waisted bottoms on busty women basically make them look like boobs and butts.  

• Love 1

While I want to support a plus-sized designer, I find Ashley's aesthetic to be highly unflattering.  High waisted bottoms on busty women basically make them look like boobs and butts.  

I think I'd be more comfortable with her stuff if she did empire style. The color blocking below the bust looks to me like they chop up her lines, and that seems like an odd thing to do to curves.

Edited by Julia

There were several Red Robin commercials, so obviously their sponsorship still ranks high.  More free greasy fries for the contestants. 

I liked Lindsey, from Austin.  I'm betting she has some tricks underneath those sheath dresses and button-up cotton shirts.  She made a few very subtle snarks that I enjoyed, along with the Alabama Gun Range Mondays and Yoga Tuesdays.   

I also like the Chinese girl, who's name I sadly can't remember.  And the Indian guy had some stunning gowns.  Loved Belgian David, what a sweetheart.  

And of course the highlight was seeing my boyfriend Dmitry.  It's been too long.  I still have a Mondo grudge since the Under The Gunn debacle.  He's dead to me.

• Love 6

Wow, the first half was pretty rough. I almost didnt finish. Lots of no-talent, I-am-not-here-to-make-friends desperate famewhores.

Betty Page - gives off dillentante vibe. Obviously comes from money. I had Anya nightmares looking at her.

Chinese Pistachio - cute but I doubt this show is for her.

Chick from Austin - ripoff of Eileen Fisher

Belgium guy - agree with those who thinks he is gonna win

• Love 1

Is Bettie Page the same girl as BDSM Candace?  The Silicon Valley girl with the motorcycle in her living room?    I actually kind of liked her, but she comes off as high-maintenance.  

Dmitry doesn't need to speak, he simply needs to sit there and smolder for me to be happy.  *LOL*

Plus girl seems ok, but she also looks like the type to seek out drama and perceived insults she can blame on her weight.  We'll see how she handles it.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Oh, I think I started Bettie Page. I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate to mention the bondage thing, since she didn't bring it up in her interview, but she does have the stereotypical Bettie Page bad bangs so I went with that.

Also, tbh I generally don't learn the names of the contestants with extreme personal styles right away, since they generally don't stick very long. 

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Screw the clothes, I want to see more of some of these people's homes!  How do they afford such gorgeous spaces in such expensive cities?

Whoever said vocal fry and upspeak were exclusively female affectations never talked to Jellyfish Guy.

• Love 9

It's just way too soon to see Mondo again.  Please do not let him show up as a judge this season, I'm begging the show.  

Not sure of names yet but I think Craft Girl with long hair will be one of the first aufed.  No inside track on that, just years of watching the show.  I will enjoy the Belgian though, sweet natured, with a gorgeous smile and a talented designer?  Oh yeah, gay or not, I'm totally there with my shallow end of the pool thinking.  

No opinions on the rest yet, will wait til tonight.      

• Love 4

IMHO, high-low is not fashion forward any longer, and it's overdone. I get it with Ashley (gah, I hope I spelled that right; everyone has such affected spellings of their names, nowadays) because she's designing for the customer on whom that is flattering.

I'm actually not familiar with Malene Birger myself, but I'm beyond appalled if Gabrielle's stuff is straight rip-off of her collection.

Unfortunately, I think the sweet black guy from Atlanta who's tried out several times and Ashley will probably be the first two out. Sadly, it seems like tptb for this show freak if they have more than one person of colour in the running at the end. I don't care if the top three most talented were all black, two of them would be out to make room for more mediocre white or non-colourful designers.

Right now, even though it's way too early to tell anything, I'm rooting for the Belgian/Italian designer, too. I liked his aesthetic, but he's probably too nice to last very long, unfortunately.

Thank gods, I have AdBlock, so I didn't have to watch any Red Robin commercials.

Edited to add: It's not just way too SOON to see Mondo again; I was hoping never ever have to see him again, PERIOD.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 4

So former contestants are picking the new contestants with Mondo appearing to have the key role.  Well, ok.  

Dear Show, I am over Mondo, even if you aren't.  Please cease and desist.  Love, Limecoke

• Love 4

WOW, I just googled MB and her stuff is amazing!  I love just about everything.

Yes, it's lovely! I wait for the sale! And better on a real person than on models, sometimes. Also worth checking in Scandi-fash is Whyred. The fabrics are LOVELY and transform something that looks nice to a new level. Again, sales are my friend ...
  • Love 1

Hi bookworm! Welcome!

I agree with you---it was nice to see well-made, finished clothes that reflected the designers' aesthetics---instead of the hot glue gun messes that are to come. Remind me of that later, will you?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1

Is the chick from Austin the one who made all the gray clothing? I thought her items bland, ill fitting (based on the outfut she wore to her interview), and reminiscent of nuns everywhere.

• Love 1

I hate Mondo so much that I ran out of "likes" for all the posts about him.

He's such a miserable human being (this is my opinion on his state of mind) that he can never authentically be happy for another human being. He tries to cover it up with a fake persona.

I am pretty underwhelmed by this batch of contestants. I was braced for it, but still it's disappointing to know that the casting was based on the potential for TV drama.

They should have a competition that features anvils, because there is a surplus of them in this episode.

I just watched this and it motivated me to actually sign in to write something! 

The something I want to express is my total sadness at how these young designers seem to have some talent, interesting ideas and drive and how, after fourteen seasons, I know that by the time each of them are auf'd they will be ground into fashionable dust.  This show holds out the ideal of winning based on talent and effort and then appears to provide an experience that seems more akin to Survivor meets Big Brother.  The show puts these poor designers through a high-pressure meat grinder of competitions which have nothing to do with fashion or creation, while locked in a claustrophobic workroom, unable to escape the cameras or each other.  

Well, as the previous posters have noted, we're probably going to end up with copious quantities of tears as the plus-size designer is auf'd first, because we remember the horror experienced every time there is a "design for a real person (who is not six feet tall and a size zero)" week.  Then the final few will be the preppy-ish self-regarding guy, the combative large guy, the Bettie Page, and the ice princess.

I apologize, the sarcasm is roaring through me as the final minutes of the preview tick on.  At least I got to see Uncle Tim and the pre-judges, none of which were Michelle, and they all appeared supportive of the newbies.

I signed up for the same reason, after lurking a few seasons. But you said most of the stuff I wanted to say, especially the bit about grinding them to dust. It's brutal and it's stupid. Because we actually want to see them make cool things. With like, more than six hours. Ugh! And yet, here we are again as the beast roars back to life.

I liked several of the personalities and further, I intend to hold out hope for a great season until that hope is stabbed in the heart with a rusty upholstery needle.

• Love 1

I want to love plus-size girl's designs but they're not flattering on a big girl's body. Cute colors, patterns, vibe but the designs themselves often do a plus-sized woman no favors.

Hated Jellyfish Boy but loved his jellyfish collection.

Indian guy had some beautiful dresses. 

Dominatrix Bettie Page obvs comes from big $. A 27-year-old single mother, relatively unknown designer doesn't pay for a bangin' San Francisco crib like that on her own. Maybe the dominatrix thing is ... not just her aesthetic, but her source of income?

• Love 3

Also strongly suspect that the one guy kept saying "we" because his colleagues contributed majorly to the designs in the portfolios he showed them and the designs he brought. I wonder how much of what we saw was 100% his.

How incredibly rude was it to ask Chicago woman if her daughter was planned? Is that acceptable nowadays? Wow.

I watched this after episode one and originally actually kind of liked the big guy who in this episode talked about making people feel small, etc. What am arrogant prick, now I hate him haha. Also hated Christian Siriano wannabe in both episodes, he's delusional.

Loved that so many of them had pets, today is clear the shelters day in Chicago.

Also found it fascinating that so many had larger spaces in expensive cities, especially Dominatrix designer, that was some house. Assume she comes from money since she doesn't appear to be wildly successful yet.

Really looking forward to this season for the first time in quite a while

Also found it fascinating that so many had larger spaces in expensive cities, especially Dominatrix designer, that was some house. Assume she comes from money since she doesn't appear to be wildly successful yet.

That struck me as well, although Candice's claim that she lives in "San Francisco" is stretching it like a cotton knit. That house was definitely in the suburbs and likely not even San Francisco County. My guess is the South Bay.

• Love 3

I want to love plus-size girl's designs but they're not flattering on a big girl's body. Cute colors, patterns, vibe but the designs themselves often do a plus-sized woman no favors.

You know, I reacted that way too. I wonder, though, how much of that is the yellow I don't think most people can wear, and how much is the feeling that plus-sized women should dress to disappear. If the skirt was a little less full and the fabric was the same pattern against black or blue or red, I think it would be flattering for confident plus-sized women in just about every shape but an apple. I'm not sure either Ashley or I could wear it, but I think probably a lot of plus-sized women could.

Edited by Julia

You know, I reacted that way too. I wonder, though, how much of that is the yellow I don't think most people can wear, and how much is the feeling that plus-sized women should dress to disappear. If the skirt was a little less full and the fabric was the same pattern against black or blue or red, I think it would be flattering for confident plus-sized women in just about every shape but an apple. I'm not sure either Ashley or I could wear it, but I think probably a lot of plus-sized women could.

Yeahhh I know what you're saying about the "dress to disappear" and sadly a lot of that is true. What I consider a bangin' plus-sized outfit is "dress to minimize." It's got to be structured and tailored so that the eye goes up and down and not side-to-side (which many of plus gurl's designs, with their high gathered waists, tended to do). It's got to skim over the tricky parts and not accentuate them (helllooo elastic waist and pleats on a plus-sized girl: just no). Great inspo for plus-sized designs is Catherine Malandrino and Carmen Marc Valvo, both of whom make HOT and sexy clothes that are comfortable and flattering for Ladies of Size. 

I also really wonder why more designers don't jump on this train. We're in Murica. We have women who are big. Design clothes for them, FFS!

When you're 50 plus pounds overweight, not 10 or 20, dressing to look a tad slimmer doesn't really accomplish much anyway (all anybody fixated on weight will remember anyway is: large. I worked in a medical office once where, literally, people were unable to remember whether they had seen the blonde medical assistant who was 5'2 or less and maybe 30 pounds overweight, or the one who was 5'11 and 70-100 pounds overweight - never mind one was basically petite and one loomed over almost everyone, man or woman, and their ages and personalities didn't have much in common; or ask anybody who's 50-100 pounds overweight and loses half of that whether anybody even noticed - NO.)

It's better sometimes to just acknowledge the fact that you're large, which you're not going to be able to obscure with clothing anyway, and go ahead and dress like an interesting person for whom this is not your only defining characteristic. Granted, when I'm big (I've been both), I don't want to exaggerate it, but I also don't enjoy looking like a sad person who's trying to hide (and when I do, I'm more likely to want to eat something to make myself feel a little better, which obviously doesn't help! Feeling good about yourself, and dressing like you have some respect for yourself, is a good step towards being healthier, emotionally at least and probably also physically, and possibly even losing some of the weight).

Ashley, for example, is not going to look like a skinny person no matter what she wears. She might as well enjoy living in the body she's got rather than try to find something "slimming". 

Edited by akr
  • Love 5

When you're 50 plus pounds overweight, not 10 or 20, dressing to look a tad slimmer doesn't really accomplish much anyway (all anybody fixated on weight will remember anyway is: large.

It's better sometimes to just acknowledge the fact that you're large, which you're not going to be able to obscure with clothing anyway, and go ahead and dress like an interesting person for whom this is not your only defining characteristic.

Ashley, for example, is not going to look like a skinny person no matter what she wears. She might as well enjoy living in the body she's got rather than try to find something "slimming". 

I agree that much of what we think about "appropriate" clothing for overweight women is based on our culture's loathing of "fat".

That said, there's a difference between trying to hide excess weight when it's futile, and emphasizing it by adding bulk in the wrong places with uneeded fabric in poorly thought out designs. I only weigh 5 pounds more than i"d like, and an elastic waist gathered skirt is not something I would ever wear, and certainly not something I would wear while trying to present myself to a national audience as a fashion designer.

The problem with Ashley's designs IMO, isn't that she's being politically incorrect by not using "slimming" sillouettes. It's that the sillhouettes of her own wardrobe and some of what she had in her portfolio don't look good on anyone, AND they are BORING. The skirt for the challenge at least had interesting pleating for the waist, but I don't think it flattered even the stick thin model, so I can't imagine it would work for a normal sized US woman.

On an off-topic aside, the same thing you described about "large" happens with long hair. I cut over a foot off my hair one time to bring it to barely skimming my shoulders and no one noticed. But when I had 2 inches more cut, EVERYONE commented that I had "cut all my hair!"

Edited by slothgirl

That struck me as well, although Candice's claim that she lives in "San Francisco" is stretching it like a cotton knit. That house was definitely in the suburbs and likely not even San Francisco County. My guess is the South Bay.

I'm giving Candice the benefit of the doubt that the producers are saying she's from San Francisco.  She refers to living in Silicon Valley - but she did study in San Francisco.  (Random fact: San Francisco is a city-county, so it's the only city in SF County.  The airport isn't even in the city-county!)

In regards to Ashley, I think this show and a lot of the conversation in this thread forget that plus-sized women (and really women of all shapes) are flattered by many different silhouettes.  For me, things that accentuate my waist (without being too narrow - skinny belts are AWFUL) balances out my bottom-heavy weight.  Things that are too structured lead to me looking like a box.  For other body shapes, that works.  I don't like the outfit she wore for this because it's like she was trying to minimize her stomach, but in reality, it removed her torso completely.  However, I've looked at her website, and she doesn't always do that.  I'll expand on that thought in her personal thread.

• Love 1