Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Laura

Laura's hoarding has taken over so much of her house that her partner has resorted to sleeping in the garage and her teenage daughter is forced to share a bed with Laura. If Laura doesn't clean up, her partner is threatening to leave her and sue her for full custody of their daughter.

Holy crap! That was absolutely intense. What in the blue hell is wrong with Laura? What in the blue hell is wrong with John for him to stay with her for so long and bring a child into her crazy world? What John needs to do is change the locks on the door, and sue for custody. It's obvious that Laura is going to hoard the next place she lives in anyway, and it's not hard to see that she's not fit to take care of Angelina. What a nasty piece of work she is. Ugh... I don't think I've ever wanted to kick someone in the ass the way I wanted to do with her.

• Love 11

John is a saint. He needs to change the locks and kick Laura out. I feel so bad for the Angelina. That poor girl. Her stepsister has her own clean room and she's sleeping with her mom. I hope John only pays for the two months of storage. And then let her garbage be auctioned off. And I hope John sues for custody.

• Love 8

Yeah, I don't see much hope for Laura.  She is so selfish.  I feel so bad for her daughter.  Why did it take him so long to take action?  He probably would not have trouble getting custody since she already lost custody of her 3 other kids.  

• Love 7

Hooray! Finally a SO who (at long last) said enough is enough. Laura was a real foul piece of work. I bet she doesn't have a job to pay for an apartment. I hope Angelina put a lock on her door like her half-sister (bet she hated Laura for destroying her family home). Yes, change the locks, John.

• Love 6

You know that question, mental illness or just an asshole? I think tonight we saw a clearly mentally ill person who was also a giant asshole. Dr. Green NAILED her at the outset -- "there's some paranoia...".Hooray for Dr. Green telling it like it is. I wonder if, because she's an actual M.D., she's less willing to hold hands and talk uselessly about feelings? There were consequences all over the place (except for the very end ugh. Hopefully that situation has resolved by now), which is what is usually completely lacking. Yay for consequences!

What.

A.

Hosebeast.

How does Laura have ANYONE in her life that can still love her and want to help? I mean, who knows what really goes on -- but John seems to have been an actual saint for putting up with that for fifteen years. Except, he really should have read the writing on the wall long ago and sent her crazy/asshole ass packing, and got those poor kids into therapy. ALL of them, not just the youngest. The sister was awesome too. Sounds like Laura has terrorized everyone in her proximity for decades. Having been in that situation myself (super crazy sister who controlled the entire extended family by her willingness to be nastier than anyone else), nothing could have been more schadenfreudey than watching Laura be confronted by people who FINALLY didn't back down.

Best episode of Hoarders ever! Except for the text at the end. /gnash

• Love 9

First, while I love this new, badass Dr. Green, I still kinda miss the old Dr. Eyelashes with her bright clothes and crazy shoes.  I know Dr. Green is now much more effective (judging by how Laura was handled this episode) but Dr. Eyelashes was just so fun.

Second, Laura was a total bitch and a nasty piece of work.  You can tell that the whole "I just want a space of my own because you own this house and want to control me" was something she used effectively against John since she moved in and trashed the place.  I am so glad John had enough of Laura's crap and hope that he did actually kick her out.

Third, I love the fact that Laura got hoisted on her own petard by not marrying John.  If she had, it would have been a lot harder to get rid of her.  (I know the show didn't say why they weren't married but I'm guessing it was another paranoid conspiracy theory on Laura's part so that she could always have control of Angelina and so she could throw the "space" issue back in John's face.)

And finally...

You know that question, mental illness or just an asshole? I think tonight we saw a clearly mentally ill person who was also a giant asshole.

Maybe it's just me but there must be an asshole gene that gets expressed more fully in hoarders than in people with other mental illnesses.  Too many of these hoarders are assholes and mentally ill.  In fact, in all the years I've been watching this show, I can probably only remember about 10 hoarders (and that's being generous, I'm sure) who weren't total jerks.

• Love 7

I'm a little bit scared to start throwing the confetti over this one yet.  The final black screen of truth was like the last minutes of a horror movie -- IT'S ALIVE!

It's my bet that Laura is still in that house, not looking for an apartment or a job, daily visiting that storage unit to bring back in vital stuff like her mug collection.  Why can't poor John call the cops to have her removed?  Angelina.  That brainwashed child loves her mother and she would never forgive her father if he got really harsh on her mom.  After all, Angelina thought lovely Dr. Green and Saint Dorothy were mean to her mother.  Angelina has been joined at the hip with her mother since birth and looks enough like her to share the same hoarding gene.  I don't hold out much hope there.  If John wants to keep her in his life and not hating him, he may have to put up with The Thing in his house for four more years until Angelina goes to college.

There is no hope for Laura.  She has already lost three children over her hoarding and learned nothing.  She loves her stuff best and always will.  She will also always believe that 97% of it belongs to someone else and everything is the current man's fault. I'm sure anything any of the three men ever asked her to do was "controlling."  What a handy word for all the self-centered, bone lazy women of the world.

On a brighter note, I loved John's daughter who had the gumption to put a lock on her door and live her own awesome life. A really good example for all the children of hoarders out there.

• Love 12
(edited)

I can certainly see why they spent an entire episode on this one Hoarder rather than splitting it between the usual two.  It was fairly obvious after her first vicious blow-up at her partner that she was never going to admit to any responsibility for the house.  Some hoarders use the self-pitying blow-up move just to deflect attention away from their role in the hoard.  Laura, however, truly believes that whole "you're just trying to control me" line.

It's sad that the daughter has seemingly bought into the whole "my mom's a victim, poor her" syndrome.  John has two options--have Laura removed from the house while her daughter is at school (then change the locks), or sell the house and move somewhere else.  Come to think of it, even if the local sheriff's remove Laura, her daughter will probably just let her back in and there he'd be again.  I can just imagine Laura having a raging fit on the lawn.  Maybe a restraining order....

Agree that he should have left her years ago, and probably would have, if not for the daughter.  He's probably been afraid that she'd choose to live with her mother.  She's old enough that a court would probably let her make that choice. Also, if he isn't married to her mother his name might not even be on the birth certificate as the father--some states won't allow it for illegitimate births, or so I've heard.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 4

What happened at the end, my DVR cut off? Laura seemed dangerous to me, like she could hurt John if he got in her way. It seems like he works and owns the house, but had to sleep in the garage so she can bring in her crap. You would think having her other children taken away would make her worried about Angelina. John shouldn't have waited so long to take action.

• Love 1

All of Laura's crap was boxed up and sent to a storage facility.  John told Laura that he would pay for two months on the storage facility and then it was up to her to make the payments.  Oh, and also, the relationship was over, and he wanted her out of the house in a month.

Black screen of doom said that the month's deadline had passed and she had made no effort to find another place to live.  John wasn't sure what to do to get her out of the house, but he was holding firm about the the two month deadline for storage.  Whole family is using aftercare funds for therapy.

• Love 4

What happened at the end, my DVR cut off? Laura seemed dangerous to me, like she could hurt John if he got in her way. It seems like he works and owns the house, but had to sleep in the garage so she can bring in her crap. You would think having her other children taken away would make her worried about Angelina. John shouldn't have waited so long to take action.

The hosebeast has made no effort to find a place (big shock) and John is going to hold firm on only paying for two months of storage. John is working on how to get rid of her without upsetting her Basically, nothing changed.

• Love 6

John would have to evict Laura. That would cause so much drama that he probably let it go. Angelina is being used as a bargaining chip. It's a no win situation for John.

That sister was just itching to really hand Laura her ass. I would pay to see that.

• Love 6

That sister was just itching to really hand Laura her ass. I would pay to see that.

Me too. She wanted to slap the shit out of her in the kitchen when she was pitching a fit about what John had done.

• Love 6

John's daughter was shown only at the beginning, right? I wonder why she hasn't moved out yet. Maybe in college? Anyway, I noticed how Laura referred to her as "his daughter." Not by name, just "his daughter."

I demand an update on this episode!

• Love 2

I thought Johns daughter wasn't that much older than Angelina. But you're correct, she was only shown at the beginning.

Didn't she say their home was clean until she was four and the toxic waste named Laura moved in? That was 15 years ago, IIRC.

• Love 5

So Laura & John have been together 15 yrs & Angelina is 14. That means she got pregnant very early in the relationship. Would love to know the details on that; even John's other daughter said it was super fast.

Laura comes off as being so controlling & manipulative, I wouldn't put it past her to 'catch' a guy by getting knocked up. I think John is her 3rd baby daddy already. Maybe she hasn't moved out yet bc she hasn't found another sucker...ooops, I mean guy. She definately uses/manipulates Angelina to keep her hold on John. IMHO Laura is a parasite, YMMV

• Love 8
I thought Johns daughter wasn't that much older than Angelina. But you're correct, she was only shown at the beginning.

I think there were two daughters. The one at the beginning, with the locked door, was John's from a previous relationship, she lived there, and that was the only glimpse we got of her. The one later one was one of Laura's from her previous relationships who had been removed from her custody, and was participating in the cleanup/haul away. But maybe I made it all up in my head.

• Love 4

Oh, good LORD. Laura was a raging, unholy, manipulative hellbeast of a human. And of course she wants custory of Angelina -- she's her meal ticket -- just like the other three kids were who were taken away from her.

Maybe she hasn't moved out yet bc she hasn't found another sucker...ooops, I mean guy.

Exactly. As an avid Judge Judy watcher, where it seems any miscreant on Earth can find a mate, I'm pretty sure she won't be single for long.

I can't believe she tried to pull off the "I'm moving out!" nonsense only to arrive back there the next day all, "I never said that."

John is a nice guy. Having said that, he is also a massive pussy. Stop paying for the storage unit and use the money to hire a lawyer, idiot.

Would John have to be on the birth certificate to file for full custody? Assuming he's her father then a DNA test should prove it. I would think John could go to court not only to file for custody but to get Laura removed. Angelina would be very upset but sometimes good parenting upsets the kids. Laura is toxic for Angelina and seems to have no motivation to get any kind of treatment or help. She lost kids before and it didn't light a fire. I'm not saying it would be easy on John but I can't see any way out for him unless he makes it legal.

• Love 4
(edited)

As soon as Laura pitched her Hoarder-fit about "I'm moving out, yadda yadda", I knew it was all a crock. I said to myself, "As soon as she realizes the gravity of that hollow threat, what it means for all her precious crap & what it means for her laziness , she's going to act like it never happened and breeze right over the fact that she said all that. There is no way in hell she's going to leave!" Sure enough, that bag-of-crazy not only retracted, but acted like she never said it and that it was all the Doc trying to make her sound crazy. (Ummm, lady, you do a fine job of pulling off crazy with no help from anyone.) She never intended to leave -- she only wanted more ass-kissing, and thought a threat would get everyone off her ass. Ooopsie! 

When Laura was trying to backpedal, I kept hoping out loud that John would "Thanks but no thanks" that idea. I was so happy when he went ahead and broke it off, and I was happier that he capped the storage offer at 2 months. 

Of course, I also knew she'd still be there at the end of the month, which was the case.  I'm sure she hasn't touched any of her stuff (to get rid of it, I mean); I hope it all gets tossed, and I hope he tosses her shortly thereafter. He seems like a decent guy, and I hope that he gets a chance to be a father, and that the courts see a copy of this show when Laura tries to use Angelina as a pawn (which I am sure will happen). 

Laura should be ashamed; if for nothing else, I wish she (and the rest of these selfish assholes) could see the truth of what this does to their innocent victims. 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 4

Still thinking about this.  John should find an apartment or rental house during the next two months and have all the crap moved from the storage unit to the apartment.  It will cost more but it will be worth it because Laura will follow  her true love where ever it goes.  Once she and her crap have been in the new place for a month or two he can stop paying the rent for her.  She wont return because it would mean leaving her stuff.  She will then have to see about getting some sort of job or welfare to live on.  Angelina can go back and forth, either with her mother in the land-fill or in her nice room at Dad's.  By the time she's a little older it will probably be mostly at Dad's.

• Love 4

I think there were two daughters. The one at the beginning, with the locked door, was John's from a previous relationship, she lived there, and that was the only glimpse we got of her. The one later one was one of Laura's from her previous relationships who had been removed from her custody, and was participating in the cleanup/haul away. But maybe I made it all up in my head.

Yes - that was the situation - Not sure if John  had full time custody of (at the time) 4 year old daughter - then Laura and he had baby Angelina.  Who is now 14.  Laura lost three other children from a "previous relationship" (did they say if she was married before?)  The "other daughter" in the kitchen was one of those three children.

Edited by Grasonville
  • Love 2

Wow, wow, wow, wow...  So many emotions during this episode.  Angelina seems emotionally stunted, like a 14 year old on the outside but a 6 year old on the inside.  "Everyone is being mean to my mom" was not what was happening there.  Clutching at a teddy bear.  I worry for her future decision-making skills.  

When Laura said that no one does the dishes... I couldn't. The logistics of how one would wash/dry/put away dishes in that kitchen are a mystery to me.  

• Love 9

When Laura said that no one does the dishes... I couldn't. The logistics of how one would wash/dry/put away dishes in that kitchen are a mystery to me.

Then when John DID clean the kitchen, she turned it around and screamed that he did it to control her and she didn't want him to ever touch her stuff again (but none of that crap belonged to anyone else in the family despite her insisting that 97% of it wasn't hers). I don't know how John lived with her mental gyrations all those years. My ex played those mental games and it was exhausting; I was wondering about my own sanity at times. John's own daughter seems to have locked herself away from the trauma but Angelina has been sucked into the vortex. He needs to get her away from Laura ASAP.

• Love 6

Angelina seems emotionally stunted, like a 14 year old on the outside but a 6 year old on the inside.  "Everyone is being mean to my mom" was not what was happening there.  Clutching at a teddy bear.  I worry for her future decision-making skills.

Yes.  I think she needs therapy, and her sisters' support. 

What they needed to point out to her, and to Laura, was that this happened before, and she chose her stuff over her children.  Angelina really needs to be made to see this.

Is Laura able to function rationally on her own, I wonder?   I don't think so.

• Love 3

Argh, this one was tough. John seems to have few options, partly because he let the craziness go unchecked for so long. Angelina seemed more like a hostage than a teenager, Frankly, I doubt he's ever going to have a good relationship with her so maybe it would be best to take a stand now - eviction, changing the locks, whatever it takes to get Laura out of his house.

What adult woman screams "You're not my father!" to her partner when he tries to get her to change her behavior?  I'm no shrink but I'm going to say daddy issues may be part of her problem.

Again, I wonder - where does the hoarder get the money to buy all this stuff? Laura may be freeloading on John but I'd hope he wasn't giving her cash to buy all those clothes and precious mugs. I wonder if Laura has ever held a job or if she's always sponged off her current sperm donor.

I'd love to see a follow up on this family, but I doubt there's been any progress.  Very sad.

• Love 2

I also loved the scene in the kitchen when Laura shrieked, "This was supposed to be all about meeeeeeeeeee!" As if this were different than any day on the planet for her.

ETA: I don't think she married John -- or any of her other baby daddies - because she's running some disability scam. If she were married, she'd have to give up her sweet, sweet benefits which, I assume, are what's keeping her in the stores shopping.

Hey...does anyone know if Hoarders is over now? I kept seeing commercials for Project Runway airing in its time slot next week.

Edited by Guest

I so wanted to hear Dr. Green say to Laura in the midst of one of her blame-everyone-but-me rants, "Okay, Laura, stop. Now look around, and point out something to me that you ARE responsible for. Just one part that no one but you did."

Eh. Wouldn't have made any difference, I guess. But Laura's denial was beyond almost any I've ever seen, in ANY context, anywhere.

Angelica. That poor, damaged child. I hope the therapist is good, and I hope Angelica and John somehow both shake free.

What a parasite.

• Love 7

John is a nice guy. Having said that, he is also a massive pussy. Stop paying for the storage unit and use the money to hire a lawyer, idiot.

That man is an epic pussy. He needs to call the police and have her legally evicted, but he wont. Also, did I imagine this, or did they say John had his drinking buddies over all the time? I got the alcoholic vibe from him, so hes not completely innocent either.

As others said above, Angelina has some serious mental issues too, and would most likely be very distraught if John took her away from her mother - but being a parent means you have to make tough decisions for your kids and sometimes these decisions aren`t very comfortable for the kids at first. Angelina`s only 14, she can be saved. Otherwise she`s going to end up just like her mother and leach from one guy to another her whole life. Someone just needs to step up and be a parent! Good luck sweet Angelina. You`re screwed.

I laughed when Laura yelled about no one heling her clean the kitchen. I have had that meltdown too, but it always happens in a just clean kitchen LOL.

• Love 2

Also, did I imagine this, or did they say John had his drinking buddies over all the time? I got the alcoholic vibe from him, so hes not completely innocent either.

Well, Laura said she junked up the living room to stop John from bringing his drinking buddies over. I'm sure that's as true as the fact that she's not a hoarder and the kitchen's a mess because John doesn't rinse his plate after he eats.

• Love 5

I don't think Lara has much credibility,  but what decent man moves in a hosebeast like Laura to ruin his daughter's life and then has a child with that hosebeast and lets it continue for 14 years?    I hope he's seen the light and has made the first step to change,   but you have to have a problem yourself to live like that and force children to do so as well. 

On a very shallow note,  John is many steps above Laura in attractiveness.     He should have been able to at least get a woman with a job who isn't a raging bitch 24/7, but he didn't.    John has issues. 

• Love 9

That's about the saddest reality program I've ever seen. I bet Laura wasn't that bad looking 15 years ago, and i bet she had a convincing-sounding story about the terrible man who'd tried to control her and had stolen her children away in revenge. I'd like to believe that Laura is mentally ill, but while she probably does have some disorder she's also mean as a snake. I don't believe for a minute that she forgot that she'd said she wanted to move out. John may have to sacrifice his relationship with Angelina in the short run in hopes of saving her for the long run. I hope they're getting good aftercare.

Also, John's other daughter was amazing. I wonder where her mother was while this situation was developing, but that young woman is the sort that will survive the zombie apocalypse.

• Love 7

She knows what she said, she just expected John to cave and beg her not to leave because she thought she had 100% rights to her daughter, and he wouldn't want to lose her. She was manipulative and it worked for her for years.

Thankfully, Angelina's older maternal sister and maternal aunt have Laura's number. With it not being just her dad pointing out her mom's issues, she may have a chance if he gets custody. Laura will try with all her might to pin everything on him, but her sister and aunt will continue to point out it was her.

His house will be hoarded again in no time if he doesn't get her out. I'm actually looking forward to the update on this one.

• Love 3

What adult woman screams "You're not my father!" to her partner when he tries to get her to change her behavior?  I'm no shrink but I'm going to say daddy issues may be part of her problem.

I forgot about that. Now if she had yelled "you are not my supervisor!". I may have fallen off the couch from laughing.

As soon as Laura pitched her Hoarder-fit about "I'm moving out, yadda yadda", I knew it was all a crock. I said to myself, "As soon as she realizes the gravity of that hollow threat, what it means for all her precious crap & what it means for her laziness , she's going to act like it never happened and breeze right over the fact that she said all that. There is no way in hell she's going to leave!" Sure enough, that bag-of-crazy not only retracted, but acted like she never said it and that it was all the Doc trying to make her sound crazy. (Ummm, lady, you do a fine job of pulling off crazy with no help from anyone.) She never intended to leave -- she only wanted more ass-kissing, and thought a threat would get everyone off her ass. Ooopsie! 

I really wish that someone had reminded me that everything was on camera. If they had brought over a little monitor and showed her the footage of her saying she was moving out that would have been awesome.

Again, I wonder - where does the hoarder get the money to buy all this stuff? Laura may be freeloading on John but I'd hope he wasn't giving her cash to buy all those clothes and precious mugs. I wonder if Laura has ever held a job or if she's always sponged off her current sperm donor.

Stuff at thrift stores and garage sales is usually super cheap. Sure a new mug might cost 5-10 bucks, but if you go to a Salvation Army or something you could probably find it for under $1. And if your goal is just to acquire stuff who cares if it is brand new or not.

• Love 2

John seemed like a good guy and very patient. Laura doesn't deserve such a nice man. I know they have a daughter, but why would he put up with her? Honestly, I really think it has to be because some men are happy if they get regular sex. They then overlook everything else. 

Usually I have some kind of feeling of sympathy for the hoarders but Laura was too repellent. I started just fast-forwarding through her outbursts.John is a victim of spousal abuse and I'm guessing he had an abusive alcoholic mom and/or dad. He's a nice man with money and could do a lot better than Laura. I'm glad to see he is finally beginning to see some daylight and push back to her manipulating and berating, though he caves whenever his daughter (who can't ever see anything wrong with her mom) whimpers. I wonder if he's started doing something about his own drinking and is beginning to "clear up." He went above and beyond with his storage offer.

Doesn't the Toddler Tyrant work??

Too bad John didn't enforce her moveout date with some kind of legal notice/action and I hope he does so.

At least I was cheered by Green's eyeshadow, tough Qs, and lurid wig.

Maybe Laura is a drug dealer (how else would be she be getting money?), to wit the horrible skin, extreme mood swings, etc.

Edited by Tuneful
  • Love 1

The showed this again tonight.  I forgot how much I hated her.  They did a revised update, she is still living there but it did not elaborate on what that means.  True to his word he only paid for 2 months of storage so her storage units were sold.  Laura and her daughter are going to therapy. 

• Love 3
On 8/2/2015 at 2:37 PM, Mu Shu said:

I don't think Lara has much credibility,  but what decent man moves in a hosebeast like Laura to ruin his daughter's life and then has a child with that hosebeast and lets it continue for 14 years?    I hope he's seen the light and has made the first step to change,   but you have to have a problem yourself to live like that and force children to do so as well. 

On a very shallow note,  John is many steps above Laura in attractiveness.     He should have been able to at least get a woman with a job who isn't a raging bitch 24/7, but he didn't.    John has issues. 

I was so so terribly upset by this show, I sought out people to discuss it with.... here I am :)  WOW.  The hate on Laura's face was so hard to watch.  I wonder what has happened to her in her past to be so full of rage and hate.  John is an attractive man, but that ole hag is gonna be the end of him for any healthy relationships anytime soon.  I know this will sound funny, but hoarders are just such awful people in general.  My ex bf has a mother who inherited a trailer park and has hoarded herself out of at least 5 of the 50 trailers she owns.  She has also hoarded herself out of three large nice, single family homes in good neighborhoods.  Nothing will stop her.  She has about 25 individual storage units as well. She is a slum lord, as she does not see why everyone is so fussy about living in good conditions. Hoarders are trouble..... 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, auntieminem said:

The showed this again tonight.  I forgot how much I hated her.  They did a revised update, she is still living there but it did not elaborate on what that means.  True to his word he only paid for 2 months of storage so her storage units were sold.  Laura and her daughter are going to therapy. 

I just caught the last half of this episode tonight, and I am with you - she is definitely NOT likeable. I too, as I noted others saying, cannot get over the odd pairing. He seems far beyond her league, in every way possible and I just keep shaking my head as to how they got together. As well, her "i'm a victim" angry response to everyone made me want to slap her. How can someone (who has already lost one husband and her children to her hoarding issues) NOT see that she is solely to blame? When I read the postscript re: her living in the house while her hubby sleep in the garage, I wonder why doesn't he banish her to the garage and reclaim his house for him and his daughter? Karma's going to get Laura, and I hope they do a show about it;) 

• Love 2