Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf

• Start Topic

And yet, it was a better episode. Probably the best since the pilot. With Vera spouting Rust Cohle style philosophy, they made us/me want him to survive.

Too bad Elliot doesn't watch crime shows or he would have known about asking for "proof of life," and he would've wiped his prints from the car.

What was on Angela's ankle?

• Love 1

This was back to being the show I signed on for but losing Shayla was rough. I was suspicious when she wasn't credited as a regular as Angela and Darlene are. Who can Elliot leave Flipper with when he's involved in exploits? I don't think I've ever heard so much discusiion of a dog's need for bathroom breaks on any TV show.

Mrs. Wellick eating "wiener" on a stick was a riot.

• Love 3

Hopefully this means we've seen the last of Vera. Poor Shayla. I wasn't attached to her as a character, but still sad to see her go.

(Actually, I wouldn't have minded if they'd gotten rid of Darlene instead.)

• Love 9

Mrs. Wellick eating "wiener" on a stick was a riot

I thought she was eating an eggroll...

Anyway, I loved this episode. Elliot reacting to trunk-Shayla was some of the best acting I have ever seen

• Love 8

Whooooo!  That was hard.  

One of the top episodes so far.   Also, the least amount of Christian Slater.  Any connection?

Enjoyed seeing Tyrell coming apart.  Yet I so want to see the downfall of the new CEO!

Also, would have liked to have seen Elliot hack the prison network and have Vera transferred to death row.  

• Love 2

Great episode. Not coincidentally there was practically no fsociety, just Elliott involved in the ramifications of his personal vigilantism. I'm telling you, this is what the show should be about all the time. Rami Malek was incredible in the last scene, reacting to Shayla's death.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Elliot can't win every battle. There is nothing worse then a show where the protagonist wins every war. Elliot may be the smartest guy in the room but sometimes that doesn't matter.

I have never seen the point of Angela until this episode.

• Love 2
(edited)

Vera is a deplorable person but he's like a train wreck you can't turn away from.  Who would have thought he'd prove to be such a great villain.  The actor is doing a great job with him.

I had my suspcions earlier in the week that Shayla might not survive but I still wasn't expecting this.

I'm sorry we won't get another scene of Angela and Shayla together.  Those two were pretty hot together.

I'm calling bullshit on the cop who finds a bunch of thumb drives in the parking lot, picks one up and then puts it into the computer.  Who the hell is that stupid?

Edited by benteen
  • Love 6

Elliot may be the smartest guy in the room but sometimes that doesn't matter.

My takeaway was that Elliot's is not always the smartest guy in the room, and believing himself so led to tragedy.

Last week when describing the bathroom scene between Wellick & the NY CIO, I said that Wellick had won... "supposedly."  So I got a kick out of the reveal that he had, in fact, been played by the host couple.

This was a devastating episode.  I liked Shayla.

• Love 3

That was Terry's ankle shown, he's under house arrest.

Oh. Thanks. So Angela is thinking of Elliot hacking it, right?

I'm calling bullshit on the cop who finds a bunch of thumb drives in the parking lot, picks one up and then puts it into the computer.  Who the hell is that stupid?

Well, did you hear the morning news?

He was a prison guard, not a regular cop, so maybe stupider?

Plus she dropped a lot of them, so I guess that implies that it only takes one stupid person to make the plan work.

And the anti-malware protection did kick in and foil that plan, so I guess the prison knows there are people that stupid with access to their computers.

• Love 2
(edited)

Plus she dropped a lot of them, so I guess that implies that it only takes one stupid person to make the plan work.

It's the law of probability. There is always one person who will be curious enough to look. There will always be one person Who is greedy enough for the Nigerian Prince Scheme....so on and so on. Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

Oh. Thanks. So Angela is thinking of Elliot hacking it, right?

I don't think so.  That was just there to inform the audience.

I think she chickened out because he didn't remember her and made her feel belittled again.

• Love 1

Done with this. Didn't believe any of the crap with the thugs. Didn't believe any corporate honcho wouldn't use the bathroom incident to ice a hostile subordinate to replace him with a loyalist. Didn't believe Angela in anything she did. 

• Love 5

I love the paranoia this show induces in me. A few minutes in, Vera tells Elliot, "I love you, bro." Aha, I think, Vera's brother isn't real. Then Elliot says there's something hinky about Vera's brother. I was right!

What's with all the dick waving? DJ boasts about his thick Dominican dick. Scott Knowles shows Tyrell his—and offers up his tiny-bladdered brother's, too. Flipper's male, right?

Hobo Christian Slater looked way less hobo-y. "I get it, kiddo. He's Elliot's dad! You want to help people, watch over them? The best thing you can do for Shayla—allow her to become a memory." Shayla's a hallucination—and probably all the women Elliot tries to protect, too.

"You just didn't realize she was with you the whole time." I was right!

• Love 1
(edited)

The episode was riveting, if heartbreaking.  I wasn't sure they were going to show Shayla, they took such a long time.  

I wasn't sure why Angela went to see Terry.  She thought she could get him to confess to something?  And they made such a point of showing his ankle monitor.  I thought seeing that is what kept her from saying anything.   I'm confused by that part.

If I wasn't sure previously, this episode convinced me that Mr. Robot is Elliott's alter ego.

I agree this was the best episode since the pilot.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

And they made such a point of showing his ankle monitor. I thought seeing that is what kept her from saying anything.

Yeah, I'm still thinking it's hackable, especially since we saw it within the context of the episode in which Elliot hacks the prison system.

IDK. It would have to tie in to his phone or be fitted with a camera or microphone to be very useful--unless they just want to kill him with an electrical charge, but that doesn't seem worthwhile at this point.

(edited)

Yeah, I'm still thinking it's hackable, especially since we saw it within the context of the episode in which Elliot hacks the prison system.

IDK. It would have to tie in to his phone or be fitted with a camera or microphone to be very useful--unless they just want to kill him with an electrical charge, but that doesn't seem worthwhile at this point.

Or make it look like he went somewhere...to frame him or someone else for something. Or blackmail him with it somehow in order to get him to confess? Or offer to turn it off for him if he comes forward to confess... let him escape and start over somewhere else.

Edited by marcee
  • Love 1

Sarah D. Bunting and Mark Blankenship discuss what's next -- good and possibly bad -- for Mr. Robot.

http://previously.tv/mr-robot/i-will-douse-my-television-in-hairspray-and-set-it-on-fire/

If Mr. Robot ends up being a figment of Elliot's imagination, then I will douse my television in hairspray and set it on fire.

Are Sarah and Mark just kidding, or do they really think that if Hobo Christian Slater does turn our to be Elliot's alter ego that it would be a "surprise"?

• Love 2
(edited)
Or Alias, or any other show with a series of shadowy, poorly conceived Corporate Bads called The Syndicate or The Book Club or whatever, though I do think Mr. Robot is smarter than that.

Now I just really want to see the show with the mysterious evil conspiracy known as The Book Club. The show could even be called that. Especially if it's not entirely clear that the conspiracy isn't all in the protagonists head and that people were actually just part of a real book club. Which would make it a lot like this show. Or they could just be referring to Oprah's book club? Or Oprah is actually behind the conspiracy, which is where the name comes from. This could work!

Ugh.  They fridged Shayla.  Or trunked her in this case.  Not happy about that.

I guess I kind of understand the choice, because I wouldn't have believed it if Elliot had been able to extricate them all from the situation unharmed. But I loved what Frankie Shaw did with the character - she was just a lot more interesting on screen than in the script, so I hate to see her go and I would watch another show at this point just on the basis of hearing she was in it. The wholly unexpected scenes where Shayla and Angela went clubbing were great.

I want to point out what a huge change this was for Darlene's character. She had no reason to be helping Elliot here, and I feel a little cheated that there wasn't a scene where he asks for her help. I know some people find the character unlikeable or annoying - bt she's really no more so than Elliot, and after she literally put her life in danger to help him this episode I'm gonna be pissed at him if he ever gives her attitude or rudely tells her to go away again.

ETA: this Vulture recap makes a convincing case that Shayla was never in the diner, and that the whole exchange happened in Elliot's head.

Edited by that one guy
  • Love 6

Thanks, That One Guy, for that link. When Elliot & Shayla were in the deli & she gets pulled out of her seat & no one notices I thought that was because it's NYC and no one wants to mess with anyone connected to Vera, no one wants to get invovled. I didn't see it as Shayla being there as an Elliot hallucination. The article made me think twice.

What I thought was odd that while all those prisoners were escaping I didn't notice any guards. If Elliot & those 2 guys could see the prisoners escaping, the prisoners could see them. Why weren't they being hassled by the authorities? Where were the authorities/prison guards?

• Love 2

Interesting idea about Shayla being a hallucination in the beginning of the episode.  Given how things resolve themselves, it's very possible.

Frankie Shaw did a great job with the character.

"Now I just really want to see the show with the mysterious evil conspiracy known as The Book Club."

It really did take most of my restraint not to get carried away spitballing that. Maybe the bad-guy angle is that the Club is, like, a Flintstones-style mace? And if you don't want to become a "member," you "book" it the fuck away from the librar-- I'm going to stop now.

(But: "The Quilting Bee." Mess with the Loyal Order of Marge, you get stung.)

This episode reached an Ozymandias level for me.  I was absolutely gutted by that brother's keeper/trunk scene.  Poor Shayla!  That moment where Elliott pulls his hood up and bolts was a turning point.  I doubt he'll be considered a zero from hereon out.

How do you hurt someone like Vera though?  Dude is suicidal and will take out his own family!

Loved the twist of Tyrell's bathroom power play exploding in his face!  He's starting to come apart at the seams.

• Love 2

Figured it was going to end with Shayla's death, but I actually didn't protect that the baddies would go as far as to have her in the trunk the entire time.  That did give it just a bit more of a kick to it, that it made it more dramatic then it normally was.  Plus, Rami Malek killed it in that final scene.  Even when Elliot barely showed anything, you could still tell that this shocked him to the core, and he will probably feel guilt over it.  I still wished they developed Shayla better then his doomed, damsel girlfriend, but I guess it's too late.  I do hope Frankie Shaw goes on to other things, because she made the most out of the limited role.

What I find interesting is not only did Elliot save Vera for a lost cause, all those other prisoners escaped as well.  So, really, Elliot might have just caused a ton of damage and harm to the city, and it all ended up being for nothing.  Yeah, this was not a good episode for him.

Speaking of which, Tyrell is finally get the wind knocked out of his sails.  This Scott guy is clearly not a pushover and has no problems fighting back.  Interesting that it ended up being Tyrell's wife that remained the calm one.  She might be the real danger here.

Angela is now trying to go after Terry, I guess.  She seems to be working with some lawyer played the Sakina Jaffery, but I'm guessing by her eyeing Terry's ankle monitor, she might want to try something with that.

• Love 3

Interesting idea about Shayla being a hallucination in the beginning of the episode.  Given how things resolve themselves, it's very possible.

Yes, but for what?  Why write a script which has her appear only in Elliot's imagination, when there is no way for it to affect the future of the show?  Vera isn't coming back from wherever to say "By the way, the meeting was all in your imagination!"   If it was in Elliot's imagination, how would Vera even know about it?  Shayla herself isn't about to mention anything to reveal the truth, seeing as how she's dead.  So we will go on from here, never knowing one way or aonther.  Which seems a waste of time on the part of the script-kiddies.  Uh, script-writers.

• Love 2

After enjoying last week's episode a great deal, I found this a little dark. But wow, Rami Malek, just wow. I've loved his acting since the pilot and I just loved what he did with the final scene. I think he should really gun for an Emmy.

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh, it's impossible, oh, it'll take months, oh, I can't, oh, oh, oh.  Uh, wait, wait, wait, magic time, only take a sec, 4G it's done.  

And I can do without the voiceover.  Please.  He says the same nondescript platitudes over and over and over.  Ugh.  

It's parody.  Has to be.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 1
(edited)

Rami's eyes are.....I don't know.... I don't have words.  He is riveting. I'd love to see a movie with Tatiana Maslany and Rami Malek.
Every time I watch this show I assume anyone I'm seeing is not really there. The problem with an unreliable narrator is that I become detached to the outcome of the drama. I was ok with whatever happens because some of these people may not be real. I knew Elliot wasn't going to die because he's telling the story and the others, well, I don't care......

The actor who plays Vera is awesomely crazy but I hope that is the last we see of him. I don't see Elliot getting revenge.

I was racking my brains out trying to figure out where I've seen Vera's brother before. I looked him up on IMDB and OMG...ROLL BOUNCE, the 70’s roller-skating movie with the huge afro and Old School!
I was almost rooting for him just because of ROLL BOUNCE but alas.............

I'm sure none of the tech talk was real because massive prison escape in real life would be.......bad?  but they make it sound so believable.

Edited by Pacodakat
  • Love 2

I was happy to see Tyrell's scenes, especially the one where his wife munches on a phallic appetizer all cool and collected with an air of "told you so, i'm always right" while he's throwing a tantrum in the background. The comedy was much needed in this otherwise depressing episode. Tyrell might have lost his little corporate game, but the stakes were not as high for him as they were for Elliot.

Mr. Robot was right about Shayla. Elliot had already lost the game (much like Vera's brother), but he was unwilling to admit it. That whole scene in the stairway between Mr. Robot and Elliot felt like a debate Elliot was having with himself about his options at that point. When Mr. Robot said to Elliot that Elliot couldn't see the truth even when it was right in front of his face, I took it to mean more than just the Shayla situation, I took it to mean Mr. Robot's actual face-- the truth of who and what Mr. Robot is. Then again, I also interpreted Elliot's morphine withdrawal dream trip to mean that Mr. Robot was his creation. So, yeah, I'm firmly in the Mr. Robot isn't real camp now. But... the show has left it vague enough that Mr. Robot can turn out to be real and I'll still buy it.

Angela is more interesting with a purpose. Now she gets to show how smart she is.

• Love 4

What language is Tyrell & his wife speaking? Is it even a real language? What is wrong with them?

Tyrell is speaking Swedish and his wife Danish. Martin Wallström who plays Tyrell is a Swedish actor.

It's funny, actually - I've noticed that the captions sometimes embellish on what they actually say. (Or on what he says, at least; I'm terrible at understanding Danish.) Like in this episode, when the wife says that what he did may actually have helped them, the caption has him saying "How on Earth did it do that?" when he literally just says "How?"

Elliot finding Shayla was hard to watch. I thought Rami Malek played it as if Elliot was really, really hoping it wasn't real, but one of his hallucinations - the way he looked at her and then turned away, slowly looking back at her again like he was hoping she wouldn't be there this time, looking away, looking back again, and every time she was still there he lost it a little more.

I'm so happy that Rami Malek finally has work that allows him to show off his chops again. I've been keeping an eye out for him ever since The Pacific.

• Love 10

Tyrell is speaking Swedish and his wife Danish. Martin Wallström who plays Tyrell is a Swedish actor.

They're speaking two different languages to each other? That's...interesting. I watch this show every week, & I hardly understand anything I watch.

• Love 1

They're speaking two different languages to each other? That's...interesting.

Yep! Not unusual, either - Swedes and Danes are generally pretty good at understanding each other and able to carry on a conversation speaking their own languages. (Not me, though. When I go to Denmark I speak English. The wife could be saying something completely different to what they're captioning and I'd never know.)

• Love 3

It's funny, actually - I've noticed that the captions sometimes embellish on what they actually say. (Or on what he says, at least; I'm terrible at understanding Danish.) Like in this episode, when the wife says that what he did may actually have helped them, the caption has him saying "How on Earth did it do that?" when he literally just says "How?"

I think I actually noticed that--that there was a long caption and he just said one word. I appreciate your insights on Tyrell and his wife, Schweedie--and cute screen name! On this show, any help understanding what's going one is likely appreciated by everyone watching.
  • Love 4

Good episode. But I do want them to get on with it regarding the Tyler Durden thing. At this point all signs point that way, but I'm still hoping against hope it's a big fake out. Whatever game is being played with it, they need to reveal it soon, or at least do something clever with it. They need to do something The Fight Club and The Sixth Sense didn't do with it, and so far they've only delved a bit more into the lead characters psychology. Not sure that's enough.

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 2

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I found the episode boring and unoriginal. I liked the direction in the first couple episodes but now it just seems like same old same old. I don't need to watch yet another show with psychopathic drug-dealer bad guys, hyper-evil ultra-rich corporate bad guys, and hoodie-wearing alienated aspergers-y super-hackers who can work magic with an iphone.

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I'm in it for the long haul with this show. I'm so not sure that anything is real, I can't really get invested in anything. I think I will see the season out, but it better become something with more attachment points to keep my attention.

• Love 1

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I found the episode boring and unoriginal. I liked the direction in the first couple episodes but now it just seems like same old same old. I don't need to watch yet another show with psychopathic drug-dealer bad guys, hyper-evil ultra-rich corporate bad guys, and hoodie-wearing alienated aspergers-y super-hackers who can work magic with an iphone.

I kind of agree with you.  They're trying so hard to make this edgy when the plot is really not that new (when you break it down like you did).  BUT, and this is a big but, Rami Malek is so mesmerizing in this role that I can't stop watching.

• Love 2