Type keyword(s) to search

S14: E21 and E22: The Kids Aren't Alright

MegaJ

In this special two-part episode, Zig (Ricardo Hoyos) learns the truth behind some recent events, and now he’s an accomplice to a crime. With opening night fast approaching, Frankie (Sara Waisglass) finds herself falling for Winston (Andre Kim) all over again. Given their rocky past, she’s determined not to get hurt this time around. Frankie comes up with a plan to test Winston’s fidelity. Connor (A.J. Saudin) and Jenna (Jessica Tyler) track the source of the animal attacks to a nearly seven foot snake living in Toronto. Later, they have a detailed conversation about their hopes and dreams that you'll never see. Becky (Sarah Fisher) is happy with Jonah (Ehren Kassam), but Drew (Luke Bilyk) isn’t having it. He’s convinced that Jonah is not a good guy, and he’s trying to prove that to Becky.

Man, it's always awesome to see Degrassi at it's best. When it transcends cheesy teen show to "yeah, it deserves those Emmys." I loved how all the plots went together. I loved the shades of gray. I loved that there was no right answer. This episode so far was the highlight of season 14 and I'm not sure for the series fauxnale will top it. And the theme! Characters trying to overcome their perception and the things they did in the past! Yaaaas.

All throughout Zig's storyline I was on pins and needles, especially during the musical. I should've known that with the police there nobody was going to shoot Zig on stage but it was still tense. I really liked the ambiguity of the situation that Zig was in, where even though he did the right thing in the end, it may still end a little badly for him. I also liked how the other kids (Imogen, Maya) just could not relate to his situation at all, and thought everything would blow over. Damon's handy advice about getting out in any way possible was great, and a good message for the kids at home who may be dealing with this. Gang life is rough, and it's scary to go to the authorities but the way to play the game is just not to play it all and try your best to get out of the cycle. It won't work in most cases but those repeated attitudes are the reasons why gangs exist. And I gotta give it up for Ricardo Hoyos for finally stepping up his acting game and bringing the toughness, yet sweetness to Zig's character.

I'm so happy the writers didn't just write Damon as a side character and gave him agency. How quickly he turned against Zig, and stabbed Tiny...I was sure he was given that to move the plot along, but then he suffered a major consequence which gave him his epiphany. The end scene with the two of them was heartwarming and I hope Liam makes the cast next year.

It's time to get Tiny out of the Black Best Friend box; Richard Walters was great and I'm glad his situation wasn't forgotten with. He really has no one other than Vince and it makes me wish we saw more of him. And eff that gang counselor, why is Zig not back at home yet!?

Great twist with Jonah stealing Becky's money and settling an old drug debt. Poor Becky's idealism has been trampled on all season. Not a fan of the break-up, just to get her back together with Drew but they're both gone as of this season, might as well make Drecky endgame.

Frankston was cute, and probably just there to lighten up the episode at little bit. Sucks Frankie was cheated on but her spying and tests for Winston were not cute at all. She should've brought all her concerns to him instead of playing games. Winston I think learned his lesson. I kinda wish there was more of a consequences seeing how he cheated, but it's whatever. Frankston!

Tomorrow, the season finale (not calling it a series finale TeenNick! Suck it!)

• Love 3
(edited)

In this special two-part episode, Zig (Ricardo Hoyos) learns the truth behind some recent events, and now he’s an accomplice to a crime. With opening night fast approaching, Frankie (Sara Waisglass) finds herself falling for Winston (Andre Kim) all over again. Given their rocky past, she’s determined not to get hurt this time around. Frankie comes up with a plan to test Winston’s fidelity. Connor (A.J. Saudin) and Jenna (Jessica Tyler) track the source of the animal attacks to a nearly seven foot snake living in Toronto. Later, they have a detailed conversation about their hopes and dreams that you'll never see. Becky (Sarah Fisher) is happy with Jonah (Ehren Kassam), but Drew (Luke Bilyk) isn’t having it. He’s convinced that Jonah is not a good guy, and he’s trying to prove that to Becky.

Wha?? Seven foot snake? Are we referencing Archie/Stefan? Definitely didn't see the detailed conversation between Connor and Jenna, so no confusion there...

Enjoyed the ep, but the A-plot had a kind of West Side Story feel for me, with Zig's knowledge of pending gang violence and trying to stop it in advance.  Maybe I was unduly influenced by the production of "the musical".  Speaking of which, flowers? From one guy to another? That's different...

Tomorrow, the season finale (not calling it a series finale TeenNick! Suck it!)

Immediately following "It Goes There: Degrassi‘s Most Talked-About Moments". My DVR's set.  

Suck it indeed, Nick Cannon...all hail Netflix! Now, if only I didn't have to wait until next year - I've been spoiled with Degrassi every night.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

I wasn't so hot on part 1 but I thought they worked more or less as a whole. The issue is they're never going to fix Winston and Zoe and Zig are great. I'm glad they had that line about her not being able to participate in extra curricular activities though it just made me excited for next year when hopefully we'll get both Zoe and Frankie in the musical. For Degrassi, they have great voices. Zig and Winston on the other hand? Erp.

And the musical made no sense. Why was the mayor climbing buildings?

I don't think he's quite there yet but the potential in Ricardo when he was pushing Jonah up against the lockers was great. He just needs to commit a little more.

Zoe was great in her scene with Winston when she stepped in. Physical comedy might not be her thing but she can land those snarky punchlines. 

They could have gotten more but I appreciated what they gave Damon and Tiny. They weren't just there to support Zig. I don't think the actor who plays Tiny is strong enough to carry big dramatic scenes but I'd like to see him get more lighter plotlines. What happened to our athletes and scientists and journalists? We haven't heard from them in a while. Maybe he can discover a new passion and then in a little while find a girlfriend because every prominent Degrassi character needs to be in a relationship. Oh, and thank God we didn't have to deal with a Damon/Becky romance. I wouldn't put it past Degrassi.

And eff that gang counselor, why is Zig not back at home yet!?

Seriously. Did Degrassi forget that they found a home for Casey? Why do the only options for Zig seem to be temporary house guest and homeless?

Not a fan of the break-up, just to get her back together with Drew but they're both gone as of this season, might as well make Drecky endgame.

I'm still hoping Bianca comes back. Drew is basically a mannequin they'll pair with anyone but I thought that ended up being his strongest relationship. He did say the magic words to Becky this episode about just wanting her to be happy though.

I just can't be a Winston fan. The ugly things he said to Frankie when she set up her trap with Lola were major red flags.