Type keyword(s) to search

Becky: Original Recipe or New Coke?

Bastet

I love the final ten minutes before Becky and Mark leave for Minnesota. The wedding ring scenes, the good bye with Darlene, and the scene with Roseanne and Mark. It always looks like the actor who played Mark is trying not to burst out laughing when she reminds him that she's now his MIL and he knows how she treats her family. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

She did become a punching bag you are right. When people are ambitious and nerdy and popular they tend to be mocked by those who aren't haha.

But, I do think she really only turned into an ungrateful whiner at the end of season 4 when she left. When she blames Dan for the bike shop closing is cringeworthy. The first bit was tolerable, but the second half when she starts with "come on mother, you know it but I'm the only one with the guts to say it. You blew it Dad, you blew it big time."

That was way over the line in my opinion and totally unecessary. The point had been made.

Part of the blame for her behaviour has to go to the fact that they/Lecy were purposely trying to write her character out of the show so they amped it up a bit.

Not to nitpick too much, but that line/her departure was actually at the beginning of Season 5. 

22 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's one of my favorite scenes of the series, as hard as it is to watch.  Becky gets hit with the college news and then, before she's had time to blow off steam and think about her options, she finds out about Mark's job offer.  Darlene talks some sense into her, and she realizes it would be selfish to ask him to stay, so she's off to tell him to take the job.  In that moment, she thinks (as she says) she's not going to college and she's never going to see Mark again.  It's the perfect storm, and for her to lash out in the worst possible way, giving voice to exactly what Dan is feeling in his own shitty moment - that he blew it as a husband and father by taking a chance on the bike shop and failing - is so incredibly ugly, but so incredibly raw and real.  Good people behave in very bad ways sometimes, and this show was great at showing that.

As we've also discussed in the Episodes thread, I also love that her decision to marry Mark isn't as stupid as it seems on paper.  If things had worked as they anticipated, it wouldn't have been the end of the world -- Mark has a good job that will allow him into the union, she goes to community college in Minnesota as she would have in Lanford, etc.  Still not a wise decision, certainly, given their ages, but for her to say, "Don't give this up for me; go take that job" and him to say, "Marry me and come with me" is a frustratingly realistic choice for them to make under the circumstances.

Which leads to Dan in the bedroom, heart breaking as he says, "She's going to get pregnant, she's going to forget all about school -- this is it!  This is her life!" 

And Roseanne telling Mark she knows he didn't force Becky into anything, she got married because she wanted to - but she also knows she wants to finish school, and go to college, and if she doesn't, then she'll know that's because of Mark.

Then the wind beneath my wings/Morticia and Bubblebutt goodbye between the sisters, and Roseanne's perfectly-delivered "Good-bye, Becky." 

Dan finally calling Becky, and her reaction.

Ugh, my heart.  That storyline is so well done.

Weren't there later episodes where he still wouldn't take her call though? Lol.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Weren't there later episodes where he still wouldn't take her call though? Lol.

Only the first one after the two part season premiere of season 5, the one about the lights being shut off because they had forgotten to pay their electric bill. ("Well...middle-class was fun.") Dan refuses to speak to Becky for most of the episode whenever she calls, but at the very end he finally gets up in the middle of the night and calls her. 

• Love 4

The episode where Darlene confronts Becky about having a closer relationship with David just aired. I found it a little precious that Becky tried to compare Darlene treating her like crap like she did David. Becky getting mistreated by Darlene wasn’t entirely unwarranted, given that Becky was a brat who caused family strife and schisms with her behavior. Now she wants to complain that Darlene is a cold-hearted brat with no care for anybody’s feelings? 

Or are the two Becky’s actually different incarnations that don’t have each other’s memories?

• Love 6

Becky’s character was okay until she started dating Mark. From then on, she became a brat with little disregard for anyone else. She became unbearable and surprisingly, Mark became more tolerable than Becky (and David). 

While both actresses were okay in the role, I found that once Lecy resumed the role from Sarah, she seemed miscast. I think I just got used to Sarah’s version that it was strange seeing Lecy as an adult Becky, and the going back and forth between the two actresses didn’t help. While it was a cute gimmick, I would have preferred they kept Sarah as Becky instead of bringing back Lecy. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Becky’s character was okay until she started dating Mark. From then on, she became a brat with little disregard for anyone else. She became unbearable and surprisingly, Mark became more tolerable than Becky (and David). 

While both actresses were okay in the role, I found that once Lecy resumed the role from Sarah, she seemed miscast. I think I just got used to Sarah’s version that it was strange seeing Lecy as an adult Becky, and the going back and forth between the two actresses didn’t help. While it was a cute gimmick, I would have preferred they kept Sarah as Becky instead of bringing back Lecy. 

I watched the later seasons a while back and was shocked how little was done to develop the Mark and David relationship. In season 8 they have that conversation before the wedding about how all they have is each other and they could never rely on their parents.

Where was that for the other 5 seasons?? All their relationship is portrayed as being is Mark is just a bully. I know it's a comedy but it would have been nice in one episode for the B plot to be about them as brothers and their relationship with each other and or their parents.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:
  Hide contents

rs_1024x759-180327082616-1024.5-roseanne

She actually gets pregnant?!

Spoiler

Are you just going by the picture or is there additional information? The picture could just be for a preliminary physical to make sure Becky's in good health. The process of harvesting eggs, fertilizing them, and implanting them back is quite involved, it wouldn't just be taking place in an exam room.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, chocolatine said:
  Hide contents

Are you just going by the picture or is there additional information? The picture could just be for a preliminary physical to make sure Becky's in good health. The process of harvesting eggs, fertilizing them, and implanting them back is quite involved, it wouldn't just be taking place in an exam room.

Well, Chalke is smiling. But the other two are grimacing, so maybe they’re lying to her. 

• Love 1

Becky was always the odd one out whereas with Darlene you could see how she's like both Roseanne and Dan.

The reboot really did stay true to the previous series where whenever Becky does something stupid and selfish, Roseanne would be angry Dan would be the most hurt by it and practically disown her. Giving Becky the silent treatment, refusing to call her and now going to the garage when she wants to have give his grandchild away.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

So where is Becky’s 

Spoiler

baby with Mark? Wasn’t she pregnant towards the end of season 9 of Roseanne? Besides that being a continuity error, biological parents would not pick a gestational carrier who has never carried a pregnancy before because it’s unknown if she can successfully do so. And Darlene’s preterm delivery of Harris would give them pause, because there could be concern that she had an underlying congenital abnormality that prevented her from carrying to term, one that Becky could’ve also inherited.

• Love 1

The Becky storyline kind of tied in with how the show likes to portray upper-middle-class people as clueless.  There is no way any want would pick Becky for a surrogate, particularly one that would be donating her egg to the baby.

It kind of reminds me when Dan and Roseanne had Chip's parents over for dinner and made fun of them the whole night, even though Chip's parents were perfectly nice.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

So where is Becky’s 

Hide contents

baby with Mark? Wasn’t she pregnant towards the end of season 9 of Roseanne? Besides that being a continuity error, biological parents would not pick a gestational carrier who has never carried a pregnancy before because it’s unknown if she can successfully do so. And Darlene’s preterm delivery of Harris would give them pause, because there could be concern that she had an underlying congenital abnormality that prevented her from carrying to term, one that Becky could’ve also inherited.

Season nine never happened. At least that's the way they said they were handling it.

I never really considered that they'd have Becky use her own eggs. I didn't really think about the moral implications of that because she'd be essentially giving her own kid away.

Also, good on Becky for picking a more realistic fake age than the chick on Younger.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I never really considered that they'd have Becky use her own eggs. I didn't really think about the moral implications of that because she'd be essentially giving her own kid away.

Also, good on Becky for picking a more realistic fake age than the chick on Younger.

She's not just giving away her own child, she's essentially selling that child for $50,000. I'm not surprised that Roseanne and Dan are horrified by this. I get that surrogacy is a personal choice for each woman, but there's just something about this arrangement that is making my skin crawl.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

She's not just giving away her own child, she's essentially selling that child for $50,000. I'm not surprised that Roseanne and Dan are horrified by this. I get that surrogacy is a personal choice for each woman, but there's just something about this arrangement that is making my skin crawl.

It doesn't seem like it should be legal.

• Love 3

The surrogacy storyline just makes no sense. Maybe they should've made Becky Bi and Angela her girlfriend. Then the family can make the "look-a-like" joke about her dating a better, richer version of herself. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The surrogacy storyline just makes no sense. Maybe they should've made Becky Bi and Angela her girlfriend. Then the family can make the "look-a-like" joke about her dating a better, richer version of herself. 

That's a great idea.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Maybe Becky could have been a nanny?

I don't know. I really don't know if I think this will actually end up with Becky having a successful pregnancy.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Ooh, I like this idea!! 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Interesting idea, except that Sarah Chalke's character is actually named Andrea. :)

So I guess Becky learned a valuable lesson that she can pretend to be 33 all she wants, but that doesn't actually make her 33.

Although she might have had problems all along but didn't know because Mark probably died when they were in their 20's. It seems like Becky tries to act 23, so maybe that's where it happened? He could have died just a year or two after Darlene's wedding to David, which seems to have become the retconned finale if we're supposed to ignore Season 9.

• Love 2