Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart": The Final Week

Thanks for the link, solotrek!

With regard to the Clinton campaign ad, watching the live stream has made it pretty clear Jon and the show have never cared for Hillary. I don't recall any positive items about her, even the ones about the Republicans' Benghazi obsession.

Wow, Denis Leary's teeth seem to have grown to near Busey-like proportions.

I do hope that all you people going to Arby's tomorrow (today? I'm in Australia, and time zones make my head hurt) let the staff know that you're doing so because of TDS and because of Arby's being such good sports about the abuse John has subjected them to.

Absolutely adored the tribute segment. Jordan, Jessica and Hasan are all terrific, and I feel optimistic about the show continuing to be worth watching with the three of them there.

I'm pretty certain that tonight's almost hour of show will include Jason, Sam, Stephen, Aasaf, John O., Steve Carell, Ed Helms, Kristen Schaal, John H., Larry, and more former correspondents. I'd be stunned if they weren't there. Plus maybe some other tributes from favourite guests.

And a ceremonial torch handover to Trevor Noah.

I would like it if his wife and kids were there too, just because I've never seen them, and I'm nosy.

• Love 1

I'd really like to have the show without Trevor, if possible. His version is going to be different and he has had very little to do with this one. He's not even going to have the same set, presumably, as this one is being donated to the Newseum in Washington DC. I just want one last night with old friends.

• Love 1

Unfortunately, my local Arby's is a terrible place. I waited a long time for my order and it wasn't good (not Arby's food is bad kind of terrible but like the particular store wasn't making it right). That said, I didn't get sick like Jon promised I would. Maybe I'll just buy a bottle of Arby's sauce. I've been looking at copycat recipes that don't look like they'll come close to tasting right.

• Love 1

Horsey sauce! It's been ages since I've eaten there, but I remember loving the Horsey Sauce.

That's a riot -- I actually looked it up to make sure it was real, and you are absolutely right!  I did not know the special sauce has a special name!

So here we are.

I was mighty tired last night but stayed up for the show because I am away from my VCR and knew I would be unable to watch the rerun this morning. I felt fully conscious that it was the last (regular) show and it made me terribly sad. I suspect there might be a MoZ tonight, but I would guess the rest will be a totally different version.

I thought the piece about how all his eviserations basically had no impact whatsover was very Jon. For all these years, when people in the media took him too seriously, he always pulled out his 'I am just a comedian' card. He liked to diminish any suggestion that he had any influence on things. Of course, he did. We learned only recently that he had not only been summoned for a chat with the president (twice!) but with other leading and not-so-leading luminaries. He was quoted wildly in all kinds of media. Even the way he presented the "news"- the clips one after the other, the clips where politicians blatantly contradict themselves or echo one another, began to be used by other pundits and even genuine newsmen. But he still liked to laugh at himself and paint himself as just a guy who liked to make jokes but really had not much power in the world. It has been his favorite self image, so that segment was just right for the last show.

I am a Louis CK fan and felt he did just the right thing as the last interviewee. He was sweet, and wanted Jon to shine.

• Love 4

Maybe I'll just buy a bottle of Arby's sauce. I've been looking at copycat recipes that don't look like they'll come close to tasting right.

If you live someplace that sells Boars Heads products, their horseradish sauce is an upscale version of this -- mild horseradish combined with a mayo base.  Yummy, and I had not made the connection to the Arby's sauce until just now! 

That's a riot -- I actually looked it up to make sure it was real, and you are absolutely right!  I did not know the special sauce has a special name!

They actually have two - Horsey Sauce, which, as the name implies, is a horseradish-type, and Arby's Sauce, which is a red BBQ-type sauce.  Not that I've eaten there much or anything...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

I've been recording/watching the Comedy Central full day of TDS. 

It's so fun to see Jon eviscerating Trump . . .during the LAST election.  Mmm, lip smackin' good.

And then, disaster.  My DVR completely skipped the Newt Gingrich episode.  Does anyone remember that?  Was it really juicy?  A bloodbath, mayhaps?  <rubbing hand together with anticipation>

To me, the first segment of the pentultimate episode about how little things have changed since Jon took over TDS perfectly illustrated why he's leaving. Feeling that way, he probably knew in his heart of hearts that he just couldn't fake his way through the 2016 election.

In the past, I think Jon has deflected comments about his influence with the line from Peter Cook Cook about "those wonderful Berlin cabarets ... which did so much to stop the rise of Hitler and prevent the outbreak of the Second World War". Stephen has used it, as well. I don't know that influence can be measured solely by big changes like the Zagroda bill and Crossfire. For me, a lot of Jon's significance, and Stephen's as well, is in making it possible to get through the dark because you know you're not alone.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Also, nice to see his various impressions (Dubya, Cheney, McConnell, et al.)

I had forgotten how much I truly loved Jon's Charles Rangel impression. I consider it a missed opportunity that he never staged a mock confrontation between Rangel and Lindsey Graham.

I am just really upset that there won't be a Monday show after tonight's debates.

I feel the same. I'm living with my sister and her right-wing husband, and when he came home tonight he said, "What do I have to do tonight to watch the debates with a liberal in the house." I said, "I'll go upstairs." Which I have done. But I couldn't eat my dinner fast enough to avoid hearing that this debate doesn't have the upper tiers packed with labor people like Obama did, or that Christie is as corrupt as Hillary, or that Trump says what everybody is thinking.

I think I'm going into the city this weekend, so I must remember to visit Arby's as a tribute to Jon. There's one in the downtown shopping mall.

I need to find one close to me, too.

• Love 1

Great tribute to Jon leading the Rachel Maddow show this evening (they will cover the debate later); she played long segments, including the Palin-Trump "real New Yawk pizza" escapade (but stopped before the rant about pizza-fork debacle); I had forgotten it was an *Abanian* real New Yawk pizza chain.  Also included the segment on the Fox discussion of the Festivus Pole ("little children, Santa *is* white, don't pay attention to this discussion") and his dissection of which sophisticated yet innocent yet racist children to whom that message was directed.  Then included clips from Steve Carrell and Stephen Colbert.  Very satisfying, well worth catching a rerun or OnDemand Rachel. 

Plus, she aired part of a previous interview with Jon, very Charlie-Rose style and serious, minus the table. 

Edited by jjj

I'm watching last night's episode, and just noticed that the High Def was brought to us by Arbys last night.

Not just a couple of commercials, but the HIGH DEF? I doff my cap, Arbys.

I plan on visiting Arby's the first chance I get. 8D

Sorry for the lateness of my review.  My internet wasn't available pretty much all day.  Love my Comcast.  ;)

I ordered the Smokehouse Brisket sandwich.  It was surprisingly edible.  And yes, I had to add the Horsey Sauce to it!   That sauce truly is the goodness -- thanks for the heads-up on that one.  Also ordered onion rings on the side.  Those were somewhat disappointing -- seemed a bit dried out and overcooked.  Perhaps they were just sitting under the heat lamps too long or something.  So, I generally give the Arby's experience a measured thumbs-up.  Service was good, the sandwich was tasty, though a bit on the pricey side ($5.49 for just the sandwich, IIRC).  And the onion rings were just kinda "meh."  Would I go there again?  Sure.  Though probably wouldn't make a habit out of it. 

Still, they were great sports being the butt of so many jokes from Jon over the years.  Loved the ad's and their sponsoring of the show's HD on that penultimate episode. 

• Love 2

Thanks, brgjoe. My only memory of Arby's was a place in CT years ago, when we were desperately searching for food and ended up at an Arby's because they were the only place open that had something all of us, including the vegetarian among us, could eat. Irony. It's everywhere.

• Love 1

Wow, I had not realized they would be doing TDS reruns after the last show!  This is a great surprise; and unlike the end of the Letterman show, when "Silk Stalkings" reruns took his place! 

Sorry for the lateness of my review.  My internet wasn't available pretty much all day.  Love my Comcast.  ;)

I ordered the Smokehouse Brisket sandwich.  It was surprisingly edible.  And yes, I had to add the Horsey Sauce to it!   That sauce truly is the goodness -- thanks for the heads-up on that one. 

Oh, good to see the review!  And I could not believe I had remembered the horseradish sauce; thank you to the poster who told me the correct name for it!

Regarding Comcast:  in my area (major city), the screens went to "Emergency message system" for 45 minutes last week around midnight.  There was no emergency, it was just a glitch.  Twitter account holders went nuts, and I found a Twitter "comcastcares" account that was actually posting (on other topics).  So I RT'd the handle to everyone griping on Twitter, and I wrote to "comcastcares".  By golly, they got back to me!  Two days later!  "Has the problem resolved?"  So, when I saw them posting that night, they were responding to tweets from days earlier...

• Love 1

I was in the city on Saturday to watch my nephew play football, and I stopped off at Arby's in the downtown mall to buy two Beef 'n Cheddars with fries and a drink. I put a bit of horsey sauce on the last bite of my first sandwich and remembered why I don't care for that crap. Thanks a lot, Jon!

• Love 1

Watching the Denis Leary interview again was reassuring. I must have missed it the first time when he said he was leaving because he wanted some flexibility, meaning presumably that he doesn't intend to disappear altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he were out of the public eye for several months, though.