Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart": The Final Week

She's taken a ton of heat on social media for speaking out, and I wanted her to respond to that.

I think she said something about how she knows she'll get trouble from NRA/gun nuts, but she's dealt with all kinds of insults and death threats and she can take it.  

Edited by teddysmom

I can't remember which shooting Amy Schumer is connected to or how. I can't keep up with all the shootings.

I was in New Orleans at a restaurant with some friends when this happened (just a couple of hours away). When we left we had to walk thru the bar, and one of the employees was watching the coverage on the TV. (We were the only customers that night.) I had to ask if he was watching live or if it was another shooting. After he said it just happened, I remarked how sad it was that things have gotten to the point where we can't tell shootings apart.

Loved the segment on Fox. I'm going to miss that and hope Trevor doesn't let them skate.

• Love 2

Who belongs to the Voice that intones "(date), from Comedy Central, this is the Daily Show with Jon Stewart"?  The Voice also does commercials for TDS, and has been around for at least as long as I've been watching the show, and by now the sound of the Voice has a completely Pavlovian effect of causing me to come running from whatever corner of the house I happen to be in the instant I hear it.  I'd kinda like the Voice to come out and take a bow for the final show.

• Love 3
I think she said something about how she knows she'll get trouble from NRA/gun nuts, but she's dealt with all kinds of insults and death threats and she can take it.

Yes, I know that. But I would have liked for her to talk about the process of how she felt, what really compelled her to act, and what her cousin senator said about it. I'm talking 2 to 3 minutes. The gun issue is massively polarizing. She took a bit of a career risk speaking out. She's 0% at fault for what happened. It warrants more than 30 seconds. 

Who belongs to the Voice that intones "(date), from Comedy Central, this is the Daily Show with Jon Stewart"?  The Voice also does commercials for TDS, and has been around for at least as long as I've been watching the show, and by now the sound of the Voice has a completely Pavlovian effect of causing me to come running from whatever corner of the house I happen to be in the instant I hear it.  I'd kinda like the Voice to come out and take a bow for the final show.

http://www.drewbirns.com/

This guy!

• Love 1

"It's . . . the Republican National Convention?!? Alright . . . "

More on-topic: for some people, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I think Trump has that emblazoned on a pillow in his bedroom. Possibly in Latin. In other news, I hope Jon doesn't drive his family crazy, like Denis Leary suggests will happen.

• Love 1
I literally watched her interview with the pastor with my mouth open. What a total and utter nutjob.

And of course he hasn't lost his congregation. Birds of a crazy flock together, or something like that.

• Love 2

I question how genuine these people are in the first place. Yes, TDS isn't editing anything when people come on, but I'm sure part of it is as Jessica said, 'just put a camera in front of people.'

It really seemed like the pastor was reaching in that interview. Like, I could see the wheels turning in his head: What's worse than Hitler? Antichrist. NO. Say Son of Satan. Yeah, that. I'm going to say that now and then I'm going to pause right before and be all dramatical. 

The other pastor that Jordan interviewed seemed like the type of person they should have highlighted. You could feel the hate for gays seething off him. That whole "victims" thing is real. 

• Love 2

I just love Jessica Williams.

I wasn't so enthralled with the Hillary commercial. Reading about her mother's life is heart wrenching. There's a lot more to her and to their relationship than that mocking 'everyone has a mother- duh' tone.  It seemed like a cheap shot.

I wish the show had spent a little time on the latest Planned Parenthood attacks. It could use a DS skewering. Maybe it's just too much heavy lifting for the final shows.

I am not a Dennis Leary fan, but I enjoyed the warmth he has for Jon.

• Love 5

I question how genuine these people are in the first place. Yes, TDS isn't editing anything when people come on, but I'm sure part of it is as Jessica said, 'just put a camera in front of people.'

It really seemed like the pastor was reaching in that interview. Like, I could see the wheels turning in his head: What's worse than Hitler? Antichrist. NO. Say Son of Satan. Yeah, that. I'm going to say that now and then I'm going to pause right before and be all dramatical. 

The other pastor that Jordan interviewed seemed like the type of person they should have highlighted. You could feel the hate for gays seething off him. That whole "victims" thing is real. 

That's how it works for a lot of people on the right, from Republicans, the RWNJ, various religious figures. Whether you believe them or not, if you're going to stand by your insane quotes, like that pastor did, then they become a part of you.

I like Dennis Leary's appearances with Jon. But last night's didn't seem to do it for me. Perhaps it was the finality of it all.

Tonight will be the last real TDS episode with Jon. Then the special one hour Farewell Jon episode tomorrow night. Then... <:(

• Love 1

I like Dennis Leary's appearances with Jon. But last night's didn't seem to do it for me. Perhaps it was the finality of it all.

I'm just the opposite. I'm usually left annoyed by DL's appearances, but I enjoyed him here. I don't find a lot of substance in his interviews, but I didn't mind this time.

The Hillary faux-commercial reminded me of something SNL would do with Kate McKinnon. 

I liked Jessica's piece, and I liked that the show chose this particular question to answer because it's an obvious question: Why do these people want to be on TDS and then say these things? That pastor has got to be a hero for the Repubs. I mean, a black man calling Obama Hitler and then Satan? 

The Great Gaffesby. Hee.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

I wish the show had spent a little time on the latest Planned Parenthood attacks. It could use a DS skewering. Maybe it's just too much heavy lifting for the final shows.

Yeah, especially since Elizabeth Warren gave such a great smackdown to the Republicans about it: "Did you hit your head on something and think it was the 1950s?"

I remember when America: The Book came out, Jon was giving a talk at BookExpo America, maybe, and someone asked him where they find these people, and he said, "Where do we find them? They're everywhere! There are probably five of them in this room. And they all want to be on the TEE-vee!"

• Love 3

The gun guy seemed more real to me. Yeah I like guns and I told all mah friends I was on the Daily Show!

Larry Wilmore actually did a good piece on PP. Every year there's bloviating about defunding it. Federal money doesn't even go to abortions so congress is basically saying women don't count. Again.

• Love 3
I remember when America: The Book came out, Jon was giving a talk at BookExpo America, maybe, and someone asked him where they find these people, and he said, "Where do we find them? They're everywhere! There are probably five of them in this room. And they all want to be on the TEE-vee!"

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that some of those people pitched themselves to the show.

Using a machine gun to cook bacon. And using it to demonstrate how he should be President. I'm in no way saying my home country (the UK) is any different, but America is weird. Scarily so.

Enjoyed the bromance of the Leary interview, but Jessica's piece was the best. I loved the wait for the nutjob preacher bloke to say something stupid. Everyone knew it was coming, and it was glorious!

My favourite ever correspondent piece was one of Ed Helms, where he got some city planner arguing about whether Oscar The Grouch ate garbage or not.

I get that Jon and Dennis Leary are friends, but I have never watched anything that Dennis Leary was in, so even if there was some substance to his interviews I wouldn't be especially interested. But there never is much substance, per se - it feels more like I'm just watching a couple of pals shoot the shit and crack wise. Fun for them, sure, and sometimes it's amusing because of how they amuse each other, but it feels like a big waste of time when you only have two shows left, ever. 

• Love 1

I’m of the opposite opinion. Last night’s Dennis Leary interview was the only one of his I actually enjoyed. Mainly because they weren’t talking about whatever shit he was supposedly promoting, it was just full of platitudes for Jon. Frankly, these are the kind of interviews I WANT to see on his last week, not people on there to promote something.

• Love 1

I would pay good money to see all 2800 blowhards that Jessica et al interviewed over the last 17 years. My blood pressure would sky rocket so I guess it's a good thing TDS isn't making a video of that.

I don't want to watch platitudes. That's what awards shows are for. 

It's the interview segment on his last week with one of his comic buddies.

Literally ALL talk shows are like that during the final week of shows for a departing host. (Colbert excluded since that was a character.)

What were you expecting?

• Love 1

Honestly, the segment I really want to see is the one that Colbert did in the retirement village/neighborhood that they would be sued if they ever aired.

They did air the segment, but they can never reair it.  I know someone who was a social worker there at the time and she said that people were really upset.

They did air the segment, but they can never reair it.  I know someone who was a social worker there at the time and she said that people were really upset.

My bad. I just looked into it and it looks like it was a Kilborn era piece and that's why I had never seen it. I had assumed it just never aired. Thanks!

Edit: Abay, here's Stephen's explanation. Given what I had seen from the Month of Zen and what the field pieces used to be like, I can only imagine what the piece was and probably why people were pissed.

Edited by solotrek

I wasn't so enthralled with the Hillary commercial. Reading about her mother's life is heart wrenching. There's a lot more to her and to their relationship than that mocking 'everyone has a mother- duh' tone. It seemed like a cheap shot.

Yeah there are many things to mock but a campaign ad about the struggles her late mother experienced seemed off the mark.and the content wasn't funny.

• Love 2

So much looking back. So much Arby's slamming. So much Louis CK not saying much.

Do not care. Sebastian Giovenco scored another hat trick for Toronto FC against Shithole City SC for the win and I am orgasmically happy! Think your beloved Mets can come up with someone like that, Jonny Stew?

Mets had an 8-0 lead going into the bottom of the ninth against Florida, and they gave up six runs from the Marlins. Only thing missing was oxygen masks dropping from the ceiling. If the Mets did blow the game, I'd fear we'd see the last of Jon.

Nice tributes from Arby's and the correspondents. Nice that Jon's name was displayed correctly. Also, nice to see his various impressions (Dubya, Cheney, McConnell, et al.)

• Love 2

I saw an article on the web (it was on the internet so it has to be true!) that Arby's did, in fact, buy ads on The Daily Show last night.  I thoughty they were very well done.  (especially the one after the first segment)

I like how they can take a joke, or multiple jokes from Jon over the years.   Very well done, guys.  I think I'll go for some Arby's for lunch tomorrow.

• Love 2

If you do, please report back on whether the sandwiches look as good in person as on the tv. They look pretty good, totally unlike the ones I remember from my youth (when we used to have to hunt the mastadon ourselves and take it to Arby's for their new invention, fire).

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Very well done, guys.  I think I'll go for some Arby's for lunch tomorrow.

Be sure to get packets of whatever sauces they offer.  I seem to remember the horseradish sauce was delish!  It has been a while, though.  But I agree, if I see an Arby's, I will be stopping for a sandwich.

Edited by jjj

LOL..Ok, will report on what I see/taste when I actually venture into one of those Arby's establishments.

I too remember eating there years ago as a kid.  My dad loved their trademark roast beef sandwiches.  I couldn't stand the look or taste of them myself.  But they do offer other fare now, I guess.  Will try to find something that looks the most edible and report back.  :)

I posted before that I could count on one hand the number of times I've eaten at an Arby's in the past 25 years. Then Jon started his mocking of the chain and I started eating there again. Thanks Jon - I think!

Had a dream about Jon's last TDS appearance. He was standing on his desk playing the bagpipes and, in the foreground in the audience, a guy who looked equal parts Keith Richards and Slash was playing his electric guitar. A prelude to tonight?......NAH!

• Love 1

Be sure to get packets of whatever sauces they offer.  I seem to remember the horseradish sauce was delish!  It has been a while, though.  But I agree, if I see an Arby's, I will be stopping for a sandwich.

Horsey sauce! It's been ages since I've eaten there, but I remember loving the Horsey Sauce.

So much looking back. So much Arby's slamming. So much Louis CK not saying much.

He was rather subdued. I wondered if he was holding back for fear he would get too emotional. Also, he looked pretty good. His face didn't look so bloated. I assume he lost weight.

• Love 1