Type keyword(s) to search

I Am Cait in the Media

TV Ratings: Caitlyn Jenner's E! Show Draws Just 2.7 Million Viewers

The long wait for I Am Cait ended on Sunday night with the premiere of E!'s latest reality series — and while Caitlyn Jenner's first solo reality vehicle definitely popped, initial ratings might not be as high as many would have guessed.

Per live-plus-same day Nielsen ratings, the first episode of I Am Cait brought an average audience of 2.73 million viewers. That's slightly stronger from a typical night-of showing from Keeping Up With the Kardashians. (Jenner's original E! entry hasn't topped 3 million night-of viewers since 2013.)

Among those 2.73 million viewers, more than half (1.5 million) were adults 18-49. As for night-of, E! (and all NBCUniversal cable nets) now wait until at least live-plus-three day ratings are in before issuing releases. The network will have share initial time-shifting and other stats later in the week.

Jenner set a very high ratings bar back in April when a sit-down interview with Diane Sawyer brought records for 20/20 and 17 million viewers. The hot streak continued with a special episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, "About Bruce," which set a three-year high (4.2 million viewers) to the parent series. Earlier in July, Jenner's appearance on ABC's ESPYs telecast coincided with a significant bump and nearly 8 million viewers.

I Am Cait will have a shorter run, at least where reality is concerned, running another seven episodes this summer. The smaller order certainly adds to the event billing that the series has been given, which already boasts an in-depth look at a public figure who's been the subject of considerable interest of late.

Ugh Malika. Is she the new Jonathan or what? Go away.

Kim is clearly uncomfortable around Caitlyn, she needs a buffer or a distraction.... looking at her closet and judging her taste. Just  the look in her face when she was trying to get Caitlyn to do her "feminine voice" .. I know she ran home to Kris and they discussed the whole thing. Sure Kim is seemingly open minded.. probably because I don;t think she has any real deep feelings for Caitlyn.. or many other people. She looking to make herself look in whatever way she can.

• Love 1

I wonder if removing the Kardashians would help any? They'll probably increase the K's screen time to try and fix this.

The comments section on the above article and others like it shed a little light once you get past the Kardashian hatred, the Jenner hatred, the media hatred and the transgender hatred.   People seem to complain about the shallowness of the program, watching Jenner pick out dresses and shoes, etc.   Others seem turned off because Jenner was already fully realized as Caitlyn before the show began -- they were hoping to see more of the process but were disappointed.  

• Love 2

Caitlyn Jenner's reality show loses half its audience

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/04/caitlyn-jenner-ratings

I can see why the audience tanked. People watched the first show out of curiosity. I think the debut show came across as somewhat artifcial and scripted, like most of the so-called reality shows (especially the Fakey McFake Kardashian shows). Nobody did or said anything spontaneous. There wasn't even anything new about seeing Caitlyn in makeup and women's fashions. Everybody had already seen her like that in Vanity Fair, the awards show and various tabloid articles. Thus, many viewers didn't bother to watch the second show.

The audience might shrink further next week. The second show was too slow-paced, and it got boring. They could have edited out half of the road trip. They could also have edited out a lot of the footage at Caitlyn's vacation home (or whatever that place was where she was carelessly littering the mountainside with golf balls). Time was wasted showing them fussing over who would sleep where in the main house and the guest house. Time was wasted showing them chit-chatting in the hot tub. Time was wasted showing them raising their wine glasses every few minutes in the bus and at the houses. Time was wasted showing the veggies and cheese slices on the plates.

The show had just started to get interesting during the discussion at the center, where the transgender women were talking about job discrimination, having to do sex work as a last resort, and how hard it was for a person of Caitlyn's wealth and social status to understand their struggles. So of course that got cut off, and then it was bye-bye, tune in next week.

• Love 2

Somewhat believable story despite some of it being rumor, because despite all the fakeness going on, one thing we DO know is that Caitlyn Jenner is competitive: Caitlyn Jenner ‘Upset’ Over Disappointing ‘I Am Cait’ Ratings — She ‘Hates Losing To Kris!’

It does also attribute a second motive to her of "not wanting to let the transgender community down", which is nice if it's true (and not just based on not wanting to look foolish in front of her new peeps). 

There's also allegedly squabbling between Caitlyn and E! over how much each side is actually putting into promoting the show. Cait not doing enough press/promoting I guess, and E! just plain not making Caitlyn happy with their approach period.

And one last part is interesting (because it echoes so many of the concerns people HERE had (except some of us hoped she'd wait like an entire year and not just a few more months).

A family source said, “Caitlyn’s kids feel that there is just a lot of fatigue on behalf of the public, and she should have waited until later this year to do a reality show. Live as a woman and deal with the legal consequences of the fatal car crash. Caitlyn didn’t want to listen to her kids’ advice, and this is why some of them, including Bart and Brody won’t participate in the show.”

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Vulture: I Am Cait Is Not About Caitlyn Jenner By Winter Laike  and Nicole Pasulka

A few good observations and a few real LOLs in this. Winter Lake seems like a really sharp person. Here are a few funny barbs.

Winter Laike: She refers to herself as a “spokesperson” a lot. I don’t remember getting a ballot in the mail or a Facebook invite to decide who speaks on my behalf.

W.L.: I don’t think so. In general, I’d really like her to reject the notion that she has to be hyperfeminine in order to be accepted as a woman by the general public. It may sound cheesy, but I wish Caitlyn spent less time on her outward appearance and more on the inside stuff like her confidence. Though I realize that a lot of trans people draw confidence from being seen by the world as the person they feel they are. Society’s expectations have fucked up everything for everybody. And by society, I mean rich, straight, white cisgender men. So I guess in a way, maybe Caitlyn’s past has done this to herself?

W.L.: Caitlyn tells them she’s considering surgery to change the pitch of her voice. Kim points out that if it went wrong, Cait could lose her voice entirely. In the reaction shot, Caitlyn looks like she hadn’t considered this.

Ah, Caitlyn, I want to support you, I really do. But you have to stop acting like surgery is always the answer. With any surgery, there is risk, and surgery is not accessible to a large population of trans people.

Radar says Caitlyn is being paid $5 million for the "I Am Cait series."

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/caitlyn-jenner-reality-show-ratings-plunge-i-am-cait-lose-half-audience-first-to-second-episode/

"... As Radar previously reported, Jenner garnered a whopping $5 million paycheck for the series and has been disappointed at the declining numbers for her show..."

I don't remember seeing the $5 million figure before, but I don't read Radar very often so I might have just missed the story.

My reaction may surprise you then...

That little?

I know $5mil sounds like a shocking amount of money, and it IS only 8 episodes, but I frankly expected it to be more.

That said, if she gets a producer cut too it maybe IS more. Or would have been if the show had been better rated. Certainly E! must have some way to tie payment to the production company back to ratings and consequenting ad revenue.

I just finished watching the second episode of 'I Am Cait' and want to add my observations to all of the other really insightful comments made in this forum.

I think that in many ways, this episode with other transgender women was an eye-opener for Caitlyn. She found out how painfully difficult it had been for the others compared to her transitioning. There's been suicides, denial of medical treatment, risky surgical procedures done in other countries, resorting to selling sex for money to be able to afford their surgeries. Caitlyn's journey to transition was far different. Bruce Jenner was a multi-millionaire and could arrange any surgical procedures without a second thought about cost. The others expressed the difficulties they encountered for many years with social acceptance after transitioning. Caitlyn has a very large support system with family and friends.... for the time being anyway.

It was pretty obvious that Jenny Boylan who is a political activist, author, lecturer and college professor, has some doubts as to exactly what the real objectives of Caitlyn Jenner are. The conservative views of Caitlyn are unrealistic in the transgender world and Jenny Boylan recognized that immediately."Transgender people often go through a second adolescence. When you first come out you can really find yourself acting like a giddy teenager, andthe sad fact is that our community is in trouble. Caitlyn, wants to be our savior, but most people don't have what she has. She may be oblivious but she's eager to learn, I'm not sure what gets through to her. "

Caitlyn Jenner has completed her transition to a female. This was the objective of course but it's not really finished yet since she is determined to remaster her male voice into a more feminine one since her voice is a giveaway. This is obviously a huge concern for her. Asking the others how they managed to change their voices so they wouldn't be 'outed' in public or on the phone, Jen Richards said that it took a few years to get her voice to sound more feminine. Chandi Moore piped in and said "Oh I didn't do a thing honey, if they're going to accept me they'll accept my voice the way it is."  All of this comes to my point.....

Bruce Jenner had the mind of a woman so transitioning is a lifelong dream she had. The objective was to be everything a female is from the exterior. The female clothes, the female hair, the female makeup and the female voice. The transition is almost complete, she looks like a woman on the outside. Now she's going to focus on changing her voice. But no matter how much money, how many surgeries or voice lessons Caitlyn pays for, she will never be a female, she will always be a transgender. If Caitlyn assumes that people will not recognize her as a transgender woman then she is going to be in for a surprise because being totally and completely unnoticed as transgender is never going to happen. She will never blend easily into the public eye or be 'outed'. One thing I'd advise Caitlyn to practice is changing her walking gait. It's awkward and masculine. She still has the gait of a man, it's clumsy and lumbering. All the hullabaloo about Caitlyn wanting to make a difference or to be a role model to others wishing to transition, or to educate the public or inspire lawmakers to pass stricter punishments for hate crimes is only publicity and image making. Caitlyn has no humanitarian or compassionate concerns for anyone but herself and her own transformation into someone that resembles a female on the exterior. I call bullshit on the whole 'I Am Cait' series.

Caitlyn Jenner feels confident that her own children and closest friends are not going to pull away from their association with her. They are supporting her publicly right now because she's in the spotlight and she's the buzz of pop culture today. But how long will they stick by her once the news becomes old news and nobody cares anymore? I don't think that other transgender women have anything in common with Caitlyn other than a sex change. Other than that, their worlds are so vastly disconnected from each other that there's little or nothing at all that others can relate to.

• Love 2
Caitlyn Jenner ‘Devastated’ By ‘I Am Cait’ Ratings & Haters, Reaches Out To Human Rights Campaign For PR Boost

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/caitlyn-jenner-deveastated-ratings-haters-asks-hrc-help/

Wasn't it just in the last episode that she didn't know what the HRC was?

The article says:

The source tells Radar, “The Human Rights Campaign is helping Caitlyn to repair her image and is making sure that everything she says from now on in is congruent with the ultimate view of the transgender community as a whole.”

Will she be reading off cue cards now?   Prepared statements only?   This strikes me as pathetic.  A grown person, having to be told how to correctly express herself so she doesn't alienate her viewers.   How sincere.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

I think that in many ways, this episode with other transgender women was an eye-opener for Caitlyn. 

I think this is the main thing many of us are debating/disputing. Was it really an eye opener?  Or was it part of a crass reality TV "journey" to get to the place Caitlyn's marketing team would like us to be at ("ESPY Courage Award Winner")?

I think we can all accept the enormous good done by the things said by those guests being said on national TV.  As well as the overall notion that anyone going through a transition is going to experience a spectrum of reactions and wind up with a different point of view at the end.

Accepting the total legitimacy and honesty of what we're seeing with Caitlyn Jenner is another thing entirely.  That seems to be the sticking point (and doesn't deny all of the other good being done by this all being on TV).

So again, was it really an "eye opener"? Or was it just made to appear that way?

Edited by Kromm

I think this is the main thing many of us are debating/disputing. Was it really an eye opener?  Or was it part of a crass reality TV "journey" to get to the place Caitlyn's marketing team would like us to be at ("ESPY Courage Award Winner")?

I think we can all accept the enormous good done by the things said by those guests being said on national TV.  As well as the overall notion that anyone going through a transition is going to experience a spectrum of reactions and wind up with a different point of view at the end.

Accepting the total legitimacy and honesty of what we're seeing with Caitlyn Jenner is another thing entirely.  That seems to be the sticking point (and doesn't deny all of the other good being done by this all being on TV).

So again, was it really an "eye opener"? Or was it just made to appear that way?

My reference to this episode being an 'eye opener' is that the eyes that were opened wider were Caitlyn's. She has carried on since her transition as though she was a teenager given a Centurian American Express and left free to spend at Escada in Beverly Hills. I think that Caitlyn Jenner got a small dose of reality by meeting with other transgender women who had to struggle and inch their way to transitioning, even selling sex to get the money to afford their procedures. I almost felt that there was some contentious remarks that crossed from a couple of the trans people who attending that discussion at the end of the episode, but we will see more of that next week. Like most people, they can't help but view Caitlyn Jenner as coming from a totally different set of circumstances that they had and I think that it did have a sobering effect on Caitlyn. Another thing that I noted was the jealousy of Caitlyn's friend Rhonda. Now, Rhonda and Bruce were best friends and confidants to each other for over ten years and suddenly Caitlyn is out and developing a different set of friendships that really push Rhonda out of the circle now.

I can honestly say that I'm not really sure that this is doing any good for the transgender community and have read many comments from transgenders who would agree with me. Caitlyn Jenner's future as a motivational speaker depends on how she's received by the community she wishes to represent, and that's still uncertain. But there's no doubt that her future success financially hinge on the community accepting her and on her being proactive and work doggedly and tirelessly on their behalf. Whether she's both prepared and willing to put 'the cause' ahead of her own is still uncertain.

Will she be reading off cue cards now? Prepared statements only? This strikes me as pathetic. A grown person, having to be told how to correctly express herself so she doesn't alienate her viewers. How sincere.

Clearly, the way she has been expressing herself so far has been alienating a lot of people. It's the primary discussion on this forum. She is asking for help "making sure that everything she says from now on in is congruent with the ultimate view of the transgender community as a whole.” According to much of what I've read on these boards, this is what most people wanted to hear, right? She is trying. I can't find it in my heart to judge her at all but I have tried to understand why she has not been considered a desirable representative for the transgender community so far. If others feel as you do about her asking for help, I would like to pose the question " What do you want her to do?"

Edited by barbaralewis

Clearly, the way she has been expressing herself so far has been alienating a lot of people. It's the primary discussion on this forum.  She is asking for help "making sure that everything she says from now on in is congruent with the ultimate view of the transgender community as a whole.”   According to much of what I've read on these boards, this is what most people wanted to hear, right? She is trying. I can't find it in my heart to judge her at all but I have tried to understand why she has not been considered a desirable representative for the transgender community so far. If others feel as you do about her asking for help, I would like to pose the question " What do you want her to do?"

I can only quote the words of Angelica Ross, the CEO of TransTechSocial Enterprises.

"Having the access that Caitlyn has is such a drastic contrast to what the normal experience of being trans in America is," Ross said. "It's starting to expose the hypocrisy of our country to want to celebrate and at the same time ridicule and violate a [trans] community."

Angelica says it's time for Caitlyn Jenner to start "writing some checks" to support the trans community.

Jenner's transition is something that many trans women will never be able to afford, Iden D. Campbell McCollum, a transgender man, and community leader said. "She is showing a person that has the means and income to go and immediately get cosmetic surgery and...look and present as this person she feels she has always been," Campbell said.

He said in some ways her transition and the laser focus on her cosmetic procedures, has overshadowed the issues that the trans community desperately need to be addressed.

Clearly, the way she has been expressing herself so far has been alienating a lot of people. It's the primary discussion on this forum.  She is asking for help "making sure that everything she says from now on in is congruent with the ultimate view of the transgender community as a whole.”   According to much of what I've read on these boards, this is what most people wanted to hear, right? She is trying. I can't find it in my heart to judge her at all but I have tried to understand why she has not been considered a desirable representative for the transgender community so far. If others feel as you do about her asking for help, I would like to pose the question " What do you want her to do?"

Me personally?   I want her to take her messiah complex and go away.    No one asked her to save the transgender community.   In an act of what strikes me as nothing less than 21st century hubris, she appointed herself our savior and decided it's her mission to define what it means to be transgender today, regardless that she's one of the worst examples I have ever seen. 

I don't necessarily want or need any celebrity to represent my interests, and I certainly don't want them making a fortune off it the way she has.   None of that will to trickle back down to the community.   It's going straight into her pocketbook so she can keep buying Lamborghinis and helicopters and what all, even as she cries in her wine over the plight of the poor transgender kids.

I suspect that all the anguish she displays is simply pity for herself that she can't skip all the hard stuff and go directly to receiving her Nobel prize.

I'll stop now, because I could go all night.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

Go away, maybe truly educate herself not just about the trans community but about everyone less fortunate than her, then I'd like her to quietly and anonymously write huge checks to charities and foundations that serve underprivileged groups. Maybe create some homes for homeless GLBT youth and give them access to education, surgeries and therapy. And create entry level jobs for the trans community. 

I wouldn't be mad if she ripped out Kris or Kim's beating heart and showed it to them before tossing it off a pyramid, while castigating them for the abomination that has been the Kardashian show and legacy. But putting millions into helping the less privileged is more important. 

• Love 1

I just finished watching the second episode of 'I Am Cait' and want to add my observations to all of the other really insightful comments made in this forum.

I think that in many ways, this episode with other transgender women was an eye-opener for Caitlyn. She found out how painfully difficult it had been for the others compared to her transitioning. There's been suicides, denial of medical treatment, risky surgical procedures done in other countries, resorting to selling sex for money to be able to afford their surgeries. Caitlyn's journey to transition was far different. Bruce Jenner was a multi-millionaire and could arrange any surgical procedures without a second thought about cost. The others expressed the difficulties they encountered for many years with social acceptance after transitioning. Caitlyn has a very large support system with family and friends.... for the time being anyway.

It was pretty obvious that Jenny Boylan who is a political activist, author, lecturer and college professor, has some doubts as to exactly what the real objectives of Caitlyn Jenner are. The conservative views of Caitlyn are unrealistic in the transgender world and Jenny Boylan recognized that immediately."Transgender people often go through a second adolescence. When you first come out you can really find yourself acting like a giddy teenager, andthe sad fact is that our community is in trouble. Caitlyn, wants to be our savior, but most people don't have what she has. She may be oblivious but she's eager to learn, I'm not sure what gets through to her. "

Caitlyn Jenner has completed her transition to a female. This was the objective of course but it's not really finished yet since she is determined to remaster her male voice into a more feminine one since her voice is a giveaway. This is obviously a huge concern for her. Asking the others how they managed to change their voices so they wouldn't be 'outed' in public or on the phone, Jen Richards said that it took a few years to get her voice to sound more feminine. Chandi Moore piped in and said "Oh I didn't do a thing honey, if they're going to accept me they'll accept my voice the way it is."  All of this comes to my point.....

Bruce Jenner had the mind of a woman so transitioning is a lifelong dream she had. The objective was to be everything a female is from the exterior. The female clothes, the female hair, the female makeup and the female voice. The transition is almost complete, she looks like a woman on the outside. Now she's going to focus on changing her voice. But no matter how much money, how many surgeries or voice lessons Caitlyn pays for, she will never be a female, she will always be a transgender. If Caitlyn assumes that people will not recognize her as a transgender woman then she is going to be in for a surprise because being totally and completely unnoticed as transgender is never going to happen. She will never blend easily into the public eye or be 'outed'. One thing I'd advise Caitlyn to practice is changing her walking gait. It's awkward and masculine. She still has the gait of a man, it's clumsy and lumbering. All the hullabaloo about Caitlyn wanting to make a difference or to be a role model to others wishing to transition, or to educate the public or inspire lawmakers to pass stricter punishments for hate crimes is only publicity and image making. Caitlyn has no humanitarian or compassionate concerns for anyone but herself and her own transformation into someone that resembles a female on the exterior. I call bullshit on the whole 'I Am Cait' series.

Caitlyn Jenner feels confident that her own children and closest friends are not going to pull away from their association with her. They are supporting her publicly right now because she's in the spotlight and she's the buzz of pop culture today. But how long will they stick by her once the news becomes old news and nobody cares anymore? I don't think that other transgender women have anything in common with Caitlyn other than a sex change. Other than that, their worlds are so vastly disconnected from each other that there's little or nothing at all that others can relate to.

Well said. Did Cait really expect the paps wouldn't be dogging her every step, at least for the next few years?

My reference to this episode being an 'eye opener' is that the eyes that were opened wider were Caitlyn's. 

I think you missed my point.

To be blunt, the debate here is on if Caitlyn was acting or not. This is reality TV (in other words unreality TV), not a documentary. The question is if the "eyes opened" was a legitimate phenomenon, totally real and unplanned, or part of a performance to achieve a certain story and character arc for this show.

And, before it's brought up that a lot of these other people involved are credible people who's motives aren't as suspect, that doesn't mean the others were acting (or consciously cooperating with a performance). One person can profess ignorance, set up the character needed for the redemptive journey, while the others are being legitimate and honest.  

Although if we're being strictly honest about the range of how manipulative reality TV can be, there's also the possibility of someone coming off ugly, seeing the Dailies, then being persuaded to let it ride, because they'll make her look better in future installments. 

The point is that we were presented with this supposedly fully actualized heroic Caitlyn Jenner in time for the Espy Awards, and so it's natural to question if the purpose of the show hasn't been specifically to back that up.

Edited by Kromm

Me personally?   I want her to take her messiah complex and go away.    No one asked her to save the transgender community.   

Winter Laike, in that piece I link to upthread a bit, seems to agree with you.

Although if we're being strictly honest about the range of how manipulative reality TV can be, there's also the possibility of someone coming off ugly, seeing the Dailies, then being persuaded to let it ride, because they'll make her look better in future installments. 

The point is that we were presented with this supposedly fully actualized heroic Caitlyn Jenner in time for the Espy Awards, and so it's natural to question if the purpose of the show hasn't been specifically to back that up.

After this week's plunge in ratings and the harsh criticism from other transgender people (although I don't consider Zoey Tur any kind of a spokesperson either), not to mention the reported oversight of HRC, I wonder if upcoming episodes are being re-edited as we speak.

Edited by millennium

She is trying. I can't find it in my heart to judge her at all but I have tried to understand why she has not been considered a desirable representative for the transgender community so far. If others feel as you do about her asking for help, I would like to pose the question " What do you want her to do?"

I don't have any problem with Caitlyn asking for help, but why does she have to do it on TV?  I never saw the need for her to do this show at all, especially choosing the same production people that work on KUWTK, which kind of said it all.    According to the Vanity Fair article her older kids felt the same way about doing a show, particularly so quickly.   

But IF she was going to do it, if she was going to capitalize on her extensive fame and tell herself (and the viewers) it was "to help people" and not just line her pockets then I think she should use the money she's making off this show to endow an organization of her choice that actually does work/help trans issues.  I would add "or start her own organization" but I'm not so sure she'd be interested in doing that kind of work day to day. 

But to be fair, I've been judging Caitlyn Jenner for years, so I have no problem judging her now, lol.   She's still seems like the shallow, good looking jock who loves the spotlight.  I don't think that's changed. 

Reality Fakery! Caitlyn Jenner ‘Auditioned’ Actresses For Paid BFF Roles In ‘I Am Cait’

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/caitlyn-jenner-auditioned-actresses-i-am-cait-bff/

So what's real in this show?   Are the dose-of-reality opinions by the other transgender people from the heart?  Or from a script?

I don't honestly know but I do know that at least some of them, like Jennifer Boylan are paid consultants and I suspect they all were paid something for their appearance.  I mean, who just takes off with people you don't know on a road trip unless it's for work?  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I don't honestly know but I do know that at least some of them, like Jennifer Boylan are paid consultants and I suspect they all were paid something for their appearance.  I mean, who just takes off with people you don't know on a road trip unless it's for work?  

I surmised that too, but I guess I'm naive.   I figured somebody (other than Jenner) did their homework and created a short list of community "experts" who could bring a unique perspective to the show.  They contacted them, offered them the opportunity to come on, and then paid their expenses to California. 

It didn't occur to me they would be auditioned.   It seems so crass.   I would have thought their creds would speak for them, not how they rate in front of a camera.   Here I'm thinking Jenner owes these women a debt of gratitude for agreeing to be on her show, but it seems they had to make the cut first.   Were any turned away, I wonder? 

One thing I noticed about the group of "friends" is the preponderance of very attractive individuals:

Meet Caitlyn Jenner's Super Squad

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/meet-caitlyn-jenners-super-squad.html

Now I realize it's probably no coincidence.

• Love 1

I don't have any problem with Caitlyn asking for help, but why does she have to do it on TV?  I never saw the need for her to do this show at all, especially choosing the same production people that work on KUWTK, which kind of said it all.    According to the Vanity Fair article her older kids felt the same way about doing a show, particularly so quickly.   

But IF she was going to do it, if she was going to capitalize on her extensive fame and tell herself (and the viewers) it was "to help people" and not just line her pockets then I think she should use the money she's making off this show to endow an organization of her choice that actually does work/help trans issues.  I would add "or start her own organization" but I'm not so sure she'd be interested in doing that kind of work day to day. 

But to be fair, I've been judging Caitlyn Jenner for years, so I have no problem judging her now, lol.   She's still seems like the shallow, good looking jock who loves the spotlight.  I don't think that's changed. 

Exactly.  Info like this is coming out, plus people suspected it all along (because... hello... Reality show. NOT documentary), and yet we're still going to have people speaking extemporaneously about what they see in the episodes as if it was real.  It's frustrating.

Again, nobody (I hope) is saying this invalidates the information imparted by the episode. But it SHOULD invalidate the opinion that Caitlyn Jenner is in some kind of fetal stage growing towards enlightenment.  Manipulation is the enemy of enlightenment. 

• Love 1

Stung by critics, Jenner tackles issues head-on:

Caitlyn Jenner posts her first selfie 

Caitlyn Jenner was a social media superstar from her first day on Twitter, amassing 1 million followers faster than anyone in the history of the platform. But on Thursday, she truly became part of the online culture. “No #SocialMediaQueen can be crowned without posting a selfie, so here’s my first!” Jenner wrote alongside a photo of herself.

The tweet came with a corresponding link to the Teen Choice Awards voting website, where Jenner is nominated in the Social Media Queen category with Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/06/caitlyn-jenner-first-selfie

where Jenner is nominated in the Social Media Queen category with Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj, Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift.

Jenner. Perry. Cyrus. Minaj. Gomez.  Swift.

What do these list items not have in common?

Is anyone else sensing a "bought" award/nomination again?  Think of the information we've been given.  "First selfie" and "nomination for Social Media Queen" in the same statement. Because you know... it's not like someone would ever have had to post a selfie before that day to get nominated as a possible Social Media Queen!

Again, it's another "award" that matters not at all in the real world.  But I ask... how can anyone doubt the manipulative nature of Caitlyn Jenner when buying plaudits seems to be her standard "career" move? Does this really sound sincere to anyone? Do people still believe in the "journey" when repeated instances of this kind of thing happen?  Can you buy recognition and still be a "hero"?

Maybe we should start a "what award will Caitlyn buy next" topic. It's probably hard to buy an Emmy (plus there's such a long turn around--you wouldn't even see the results for over a year), so that's out. Does TV Guide give awards?  I'm sure they can be bought off easily enough. Or lets see... MTV has fake awards, right? (and they don't have to necessarily do with music anymore).

Edited by Kromm

So she's the "teens' choice"? It will be fakier than fake if the teens of America crown her the Social Media Queen. Because she's the most popular teen idol in America, (she said swiftly.)

Sigh..............  I just can't..........  Carry on fellow posters!  I will be found perusing other forums.  I'll be back once Caitlyn cuts her hair, removes the boobs and gives another Diane Sawyer interview about how "confused and lost" she was or something.  I truly believe this is all for TV.  Every bit of it.  I also believe Caitlyn Jenner is emotionally disturbed, not becasue she's transgender, but because she's pretending to be. 

• Love 1

So she's the "teens' choice"? It will be fakier than fake if the teens of America crown her the Social Media Queen. Because she's the most popular teen idol in America, (she said swiftly.)

Well to be fair, Perry. Cyrus. Minaj. Gomez and Swift are no longer teens either (even Cyrus and Gomez are finally in their early 20s).

That's why they call it "Teen's Choice" and not "Teen Awards".  Of course Teens had zero to do with making the nominations. Those were made by influence peddlers. Although the "Teen's Choice" part with the voting is a lie too these days, because they don't require verification as a Teen to vote now--any person with a Facebook account can vote.  Even Grandma. 

Really as fake awards go it's not a very convincing one. But that didn't keep Caitlyn's handlers from pushing ahead with arranging this.  And since there's such a clear pattern, rest assured it won't be the last such fake award/nomination purchased. As P.R. goes, it's relatively cheap.

• Love 1

Both Jenner and the awards people stand to win.

For Jenner, another fake credential.  For the awards people, a guarantee that Jenner will show up at the ceremony in a gown, with the potential for another ESPY-like media bonanza.

Playing up to kids, though ... it only underscores her glaring and unsettling lack of association with people -- especially women -- of her own generation.

Although the "Teen's Choice" part with the voting is a lie too these days, because they don't require verification as a Teen to vote now--any person with a Facebook account can vote.  Even Grandma. 

Not only can Grandma vote now -- she can win.

• Love 2

Bruce Jenner was always a boring speaker, I pity those who had to sit through his motivational speeches. Changing genders has only made her a boring 'dudette'. There's no spark or substance to this docu-series that Catilyn is the Executive Producer of. A person can pay for plastic surgery on just about any part of their body, but Jenner can't get a personality transplant. Her personality is as monotonous as toasted white bread.

Playing up to kids, though ... it only underscores her glaring and unsettling lack of association with people -- especially women -- of her own generation.

I don't really have a problem with Caitlyn being on the list for a  #SocialMediaQueenTeen Choice Award.  Like her fellow "nominees" I'm guessing Caitlyn has a large teenage audience [thanks to KUWTK] and she has said that's the segment of the community she was most interested in helping.  In that respect, I think it's fine but I'm not sure how effective she will be but then I'm not a publicist either.  

Edited by Cosmocrush

What do I wish Caitlyn would do?

1. Accept responsibility for causing the death of Kim Howe in the car accident, and express remorse.  Accept responsibility for the serious injuries caused to another driver injured in the crash, Jessica Marie Steindorff (who has just filed a personal injury lawsuit against Jenner). I realize that Caitlyn's lawyer probably advised her not to say anything in order to avoid accepting liability, but still, Kim Howe is  dead. To me, this is infinitely more serious than Caitlyn's desire to come out as a transgender woman and get tons of publicity and awards. So Caitlyn got the (pre-arranged?) ESPY award for "bravery" in coming out as a woman. I think it would have been far more brave of Caitlyn to accept responsibility for causing Howe's death and causing serious injury to Steindorff by her negligence. I also think that Caitlyn should have delayed the broadcast of the "I Am Cait" series out of respect for the deceased. But Caitlyn continues to seek more publicity (most recently promoting herself for the Teen Choice Award, ugh!) and is being feted all over the media. Kim Howe has been mostly forgotten, and her tragic death pushed aside by the glitter and glamor of "Look at me, then please give me another award!" Caitlyn.

2. Be more private with the adjustment to the transition. I just can't see how anyone going through something so serious would want to broadcast so many the personal details all over TV and the Internet, especially pressuring family members to show their own reactions and feelings in this public manner too. However, I guess this is just how the Kardashian-Jenner clan does things. They are all fame whores, and they are all always on the lookout for a paycheck.

Looking ahead, where will Caitlyn be in five years? I doubt that "I Am Cait" will still be on the air in 2020. Does Cait expect to stay at the top of the news cycle that long? Keep winning awards for this-that-and-the-other? Have more plastic surgery for a face and body that will then be 70 years old?

• Love 3

I doubt #SocialMediaQueenTeen Choice Award has specified duties to be "effective" at.

Maybe that was the wrong word choice;  by effective I meant that the teens will pay any attention to Caitlyn.  I know my 15 year old niece loves the KWUTK but could not be less interested in the Caitlyn story.  She shrugged it off as not that big of a deal and to her and her friends Caitlyn is just Kendall and Kylie's dad. 

Looking ahead, where will Caitlyn be in five years? I doubt that "I Am Cait" will still be on the air in 2020. Does Cait expect to stay at the top of the news cycle that long? Keep winning awards for this-that-and-the-other? Have more plastic surgery for a face and body that will then be 70 years old?

I'm imagining Caitlyn will do "Dancing with the Stars" at some point, assuming that show outlasts "I am Cait".  She'll no doubt write a book, which will be remaindered at Dollar General within six months.  My opinion: Her shelf life is running out unless she can manage to tap into the boomer market, people like me who remember her with fondness as an Olympian and appreciate the notion of people re-inventing themselves at any age.  But I can't see teens idolizing anyone of that age over one of their own.

Edited by IOU Payne
  • Love 1

Sigh..............  I just can't..........  Carry on fellow posters!  I will be found perusing other forums.  I'll be back once Caitlyn cuts her hair, removes the boobs and gives another Diane Sawyer interview about how "confused and lost" she was or something.  I truly believe this is all for TV.  Every bit of it.  I also believe Caitlyn Jenner is emotionally disturbed, not becasue she's transgender, but because she's pretending to be. 

Not so very long ago, the transition process was more closely monitored by mental health professionals.  Before a transsexual could obtain final sexual reassignment surgery, he/she was required to undergo what was then called RLT -- real life transition -- for a period of 1-3 years.   During this time the candidate would be required to live full time as a member of the desired gender, including employment, and would be given hormones to start the physical change.   They would also receive psychological counseling.   This trial period was intended to facilitate gradual adjustment to the new role while also ensuring that only people who were truly well-adjusted and comfortable with the transition would advance to the final surgery.   The thinking was that people who were transitioning for the wrong reasons would either drop out or be flagged by their doctor before making an irreversible mistake.  

The RLT requirement has been set aside in recent years.   Some providers of sexual reassignment surgery still require it.  But some don't anymore.   And even back when it was in effect, a person could always circumvent it and fly off to Thailand or Mexico, plunk down their money and get whatever surgery they wanted (if they were willing to take that risk with foreign doctors).

I have been wondering how much emphasis I Am Cait places on the vital role psychologists/psychiatrists play in the transition process.   I have also wondered how much counseling Jenner receives, if any.   From all reports, Jenner has not crossed the point of no return yet.   The counseling aspect ought to be emphasized on this show -- in fact, it wouldn't hurt if the show ran a public service announcement before or after the show advising people who feel conflicted by gender dysphoria to seek counseling.   Even the sanest person needs help to get through transitioning -- and also on the road to deciding to transition.    Probably activists would complain that such an announcement would give the impression that being transgender is a mental disorder.  But I think the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

• Love 1

From the article linked above: 

“Caitlyn had no idea that her comments would create such a furor,” the source told Radar. Caitlyn revealed she was a conservative during her Diane Sawyer interview, claiming she “believed in the Constitution.” She reportedly didn’t know that leaning to the right, politically, would be such a problem!

“Not having lived as a member of the LGBT community is definitely hurting her,” the source told Radar. “Caitlyn feels that Kris is media savvy enough to know [that.]” Plus, since I Am Cait is made by the same production team behind Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Caitlyn reportedly thinks that Kris is behind every mistake or error! “[it] only heightens Caitlyn’s suspicions,” the insider told Radar.

Now we know what the problem is. Caitlyn didn't know that not having lived as a member of the LGBG community that being a conservative would be a problem. So suddenly she is clueless about politics and social policy? I realize this is a tabloid-style website and this all may be a manufactured story, but damn! She definitely did lose IQ points.