Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Ends

What the hell, Spencer?  Telling Charles to go back to football and "leave it all out in the field", is probably going to be bad for him: both professionally, physically, and personally.  And then you refuse to suck it up and have a sit-down with the briber, so they've now just emailed the pictures to Richard Schiff.  Not good decision making tonight, buddy.

Of course Ricky was going to act like a brat tonight.  Annabelle is right: he blames everyone but himself, when things don't go his way. One of these days, Spence and crew won't be there to stop him from getting his ass handed to him.

Don't care about the Jason character, so his story was a waste.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if I like the 30 minute format of the episodes or not.

Each episode goes by very quickly and it is a little annoying to just be getting into the story and BAM! The episode is over.

I can't say if that is making the show more interesting or not.

Either way, it is a pretty good show and I'm into the characters, hope they bring it back for a second season.

• Love 4

Each episode goes by very quickly and it is a little annoying to just be getting into the story and BAM! The episode is over.

I can't say if that is making the show more interesting or not.

Either way, it is a pretty good show and I'm into the characters, hope they bring it back for a second season.

I totally agree with you about the 30-min format.  For whatever reason, it seems to take the show 20 mins to really get into the meat of the story and then...it's over!  

You're in luck ToastnBacon the show has been renewed for a second season.

• Love 2

Don't care about the Jason character, so his story was a waste.

I totally agree with you about the 30-min format.  For whatever reason, it seems to take the show 20 mins to really get into the meat of the story and then...it's over!

As nice as it was to see Marlo Thomas, they don't have time to burn on a tertiary character's mother's love life and how that tertiary character reacts to it. Plus, something about the scene between Jason and his mother made it seem obvious that she was dating a man younger than her son.

When does training camp start in this show?

I liked the song at the end.  Otherwise, there was a lot of stupid in this episode.

I actually thought the scenes with Jason and his mom were interesting, though really sad.  I don't have a problem with her dating a young man, but she seems disconnected from reality.  From the "your father left me (he died)" to treating her boyfriend like a child more than a partner to her not remotely hearing what her son was telling her, it was just all very sad. She reminds me of women who had/have their whole lives revolve around their spouse and/or children, with no sense of identity outside of that.

I'm sure that was a deliberate parallel with the footballers, and it's probably not fair that I am much less sympathetic to the "football makes me whole" perspective.  But I can't bring myself to care much on that end.  

• Love 2

I liked the song at the end.  

Me too. We rushed to Shazam it like we couldn't just replay the episode. It's called Warm, by SG Lewis

I thought Jason's mom was a bit delusional. Not because she's old, but from jump he seemed like a user. I though they would have revealed that later.  But, I did say to my boyfriend that he's young enough that uh, things have to be at attention for sexy times so that would be a sign that he's not turned off by the idea of sleeping with an older woman. 

Can't stand Ricky. Petty and childish. 

I agree with Spencer--the sit down should have been presented from the start. But where did he get $150K?

Me too. We rushed to Shazam it like we couldn't just replay the episode. It's called Warm, by SG Lewis

Thank you for this!

Spencer was repaid the 300k that Vernon borrowed earlier in the season, and used 150k of that to get the photos. 

I guess Ricky is supposed to be that character who viewers like/love in spite of himself? Nah, bruh.  I don't care if the actor is Denzel's loinfruit, he's not charismatic enough to pull that off.  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3

Yeah, Jason is good for cameo bits, not storyline…. although it is a hoot to see Marlo Thomas play a sexy cougar.  Any General Hospital fans up in here?  Did ya’ll see Marlo’s man; it was Josh Duhon (ex-Logan)!  I kept staring at him for some reason then saw his name in the credits.

Why, Spence, whyyyyyyyyy did you give Vernon more of your money?!  Flushed down the toilet, since now your boss has the pictures.  When did Vernon repay the $300,000?

I love Ricky, he is such a boob.  John David Washington is very charismatic and sounds like his daddy with his mother’s darkness.

Gotta download Warm, loved it.

I don't think he paid it back yet. The discussion was about how when Vernon gets his signing bonus, THEN he'll pay Spencer back. I was confused about where that $150K came from too - especially since they basically told us that he was broke from the jump.

I agree that this show needs to be an hour. It takes 25 minutes to get warmed up and then it's over... and you'd think that'd make the next episode interesting immediately, but it doesn't. I love Mr. The Rock, and I adore Rob Cordry, but this show misses more than it hits and that makes me sad.

• Love 1

Yes to all of the comments about the show being too short!

I think they edit it to put a mini cliffhanger at the end so you'll tune in next time, but it does feel like as soon as they get into their groove on a good story, the show is over for another week. And then they don't pick up where they left off right away. I felt it was implied that Charles' girlfriend was going to give him what for about the fun house after last week, but we never saw that, just her sitting at a table with Bella talking about it. And this week's episode started with the box of remains being tossed over the gate by the delivery driver. 

(ps: "He was high as a giraffe's ass" is pure gold and I'm just waiting for an opportunity to use it.)

I've never been a big fan of Duane Johnson, but he's so charming in this show that I want his character to succeed.

• Love 2

It's funny, when the show started I was happy it was only 30 minutes/ep and now I think they would benefit from a 60 minute block too.

I still don't understand just whyyyyy Spence feels such responsibility to Vernon.  And now that the photos were leaked, I'm guessing the deal is out the window.

I think I would enjoy a Charles comes back storyline.  Time for him to find out if he really misses the game or the lifestyle.

They mentioned that Vernon had just gotten his roster bonus, he was using that to repay Spence, which Spence turned around and used for the photos. I'm guessing that puts the show timeline sometime in June now, then. Post-OTA's but after the June 1 league year changeover. I think Spence's decision to help out was for a couple reasons, he felt partly responsible due to throwing the party, he sees a bit of himself in Vernon, and thinks the kid needs that little helping hand before everything clicks for himself, and with Vernon wavering on actually paying, he recognized this might now go away. Of course, when presented with the face to face, himself, he welched.

I enjoyed seeing Jason doing something other than just being an agent, but as many say it felt like it ate up a lot of time the show didn't have in half hour format.

I get the sense that Charles really does love football, and not just the lifestyle. The way he talks about it and is able to diagnose the purpose of a play in a playbook he's never seen before reveals that the game really means something to him, on top of the recognition that it also afforded him. I think you'll see it actually transition into him taking an unpaid offseason coaching job or a high school job, when he decides the physical work isn't worth it. Omar Miller looks great, but to pass as a serviceable football player would require a fair bit more bulking up from him.

Ricky is an interesting case. And I think the frustrating parts of his character are true to many players. You get sucked in by their natural charisma when they tell you, they've cleaned up, and this time it's different, but they can't get out of their own way when it comes down to it. I know I've had that happen to me before, as a fan, with players like Colt Lyerla. He's taken the slack people have given him before, and people are less willing to cut it for him now, with Annabella being the first to actually shut it down.

• Love 1

To add to what Traveller519 wrote, I assumed that the Vernon-Spencer payback happened at some point off-screen after dinner but before they met with the attorney, and that's where he got the money from.  Though, if enough time has passed since he and Rob Cordry's character had that party, and signed some additional players, it's possible Spencer was rolling in the dough from commissions.  I just remember how he couldn't even get money out of the ATM a few episodes ago, presumably due to his loan to Vernon.  

One of the interesting things about Spencer is that, despite his size, dude is a big old teddy bear and people pleaser.  Which is why he does ill-advised shit like loan Vernon 300K, pay for Vernon's photos, tolerate Ricky, and advise a clearly out-of-shape Charles to get back in the game. I'm not at all into football, and only started to watch this because of Johnson.  So my perception of guys like Ricky and Vernon is coddled, overgrown children in adult male bodies.  Charles' wife seems to be the stabilizing influence, or was until he retired from football. Spencer has taken on the mentor mantle, which is fine, but it seems more self-imposed than anything the guys are seeking.  Which might be true-to-life, who knows.   

I get the sense that Charles really does love football, and not just the lifestyle. The way he talks about it and is able to diagnose the purpose of a play in a playbook he's never seen before reveals that the game really means something to him, on top of the recognition that it also afforded him. I think you'll see it actually transition into him taking an unpaid offseason coaching job or a high school job, when he decides the physical work isn't worth it. Omar Miller looks great, but to pass as a serviceable football player would require a fair bit more bulking up from him.

You are on to something here, though I don't understand why it never occurred to Charles to consider coaching as a way to remain connected to the game. Surely, those connections from being pro would come in handy? He seems singularly focused on playing, which makes no sense to me when he has seemingly let himself go.  I can't recall if the show has explained when he retired.  For some reason, I assumed it was fairly recent (like in the last year or so). 

It's funny, when the show started I was happy it was only 30 minutes/ep and now I think they would benefit from a 60 minute block too.

I think this show has an identity crisis. Before it premiered, the people making it were quoted as saying it was 30 minutes because it was more a comedy, and wasn't supposed to be like Playmakers, the ESPN 60-minute per show that aired a couple of years ago, was very good and the NFL squashed. In other words, they were calming the NFL. So then the season starts and Ballers is more drama than comedy, and the 30 minutes don't work for that. I will be curious how it evolves.

I don't get Spence. He seems to have a good heart, but he makes poor decisions. He's way too big for an ex-player.

• Love 1

Loved the "Soulman Rocky Johnson" t-shirt Spence was wearing as a shout out to his (The Rock's) Dad.

I was wondering what that was -- thanks for the info.

I get the feeling Spence is acutely aware of his own poor decisions on and off the field and how they relate to his current life and that it's made him very empathetic to the current crop of players. I don't know if it's a conscious or unconscious choice on his part, but it seems like he genuinely has their interests at heart, which is why it's going way beyond the money management (imo). I'm guessing he didn't have a role model to guide him and his choices (which is why he's basically broke) and he must see bits of himself in these guys. The problem is, he's still making some poor decisions (such as lending money, not getting the MRI, etc) -- seems like he still needs that mentor or guiding hand.

And I'm not sure why, but I still like Ricky. I'd probably hate him in real life but there's something about him that hasn't turned me against him -- yet. I think it's the natural charisma Traveller519 referred to upthread. I had no idea that he's Denzel Washington's son; it would be kind of interesting if his dad turned up to play his real dad. Just speculation, nothing more, because I still think there's more to that story.

• Love 1

...wasn't supposed to be like Playmakers, the ESPN 60-minute per show that aired a couple of years ago, was very good and the NFL squashed. In other words, they were calming the NFL. So then the season starts and Ballers is more drama than comedy, and the 30 minutes don't work for that. I will be curious how it evolves.

I checked out Playmakers today and read the write up on it. There are episodes on youtube. It was really kind of like a documentary, drama format. Loved it.

Edited by ethalfrida

I'm out.

The writers are recycling the same tired stereotyped storylines.

The fun-loving, "everyone-who-is-cool-is-doing-it" portrayal of hard partying and womanizing isn't entertaining to me, it's sad.  Is their target demographic teen boys?

Worse, they're stone deaf to the serious issues about treatment of women.

Did anyone hear the multiple rape investigation of former NFL star Darren Sharper on NPR?

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/381444908/fresh-air 

Now that Ballers has been renewed, why can't they get some decent writers so it could be more like Friday Night Lights?

Dang.  I love football and Rob Corddry.  I really wanted to like this show!