Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Am I Doing The Right Thing?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I’ll have to catch the late airing of this one, as I missed a big chunk catering to the every whim of my old lady cat who’s recovering from illness and injury.

What an honor, and burden, for Jazz to be a role model.  I hope the parents do understand the pressure Jazz is under, and regularly reevaluate themselves to make sure they're not pushing too much, rather than just saying that for the show.  (And it bugs me that the criticism is leveled at the mother, rather than the parents.)

I’m still struggling with the inherent fakery of reality TV, and especially the entire concept of putting kids on reality TV, but I’m telling myself this serves a purpose.  That family in the audience at the book signing certainly showed the benefit that can come from Jazz putting herself out there.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I’m still struggling with the inherent fakery of reality TV, and especially the entire concept of putting kids on reality TV, but I’m telling myself this serves a purpose.  That family in the audience at the book signing certainly showed the benefit that can come from Jazz putting herself out there.

While reality TV has clear issues, I do think the good that opening the doors to Jazz and her family will do outweighs the clearly scripted scenes and wonky timelines. 

• Love 3

I’ll have to catch the late airing of this one, as I missed a big chunk catering to the every whim of my old lady cat who’s recovering from illness and injury.

What an honor, and burden, for Jazz to be a role model.  I hope the parents do understand the pressure Jazz is under, and regularly reevaluate themselves to make sure they're not pushing too much, rather than just saying that for the show.  (And it bugs me that the criticism is leveled at the mother, rather than the parents.)

I am struggling with the fakery as well.  the part when Jazz needed to take a break but coincidentally the trans kid came up and interrupted her me time to tell his story and how Jazz has been such a role model.  It was just hard to swallow due to the fake set up.  If he said all this when he went up for the signature, it would have been more natural.

Also, even though the show is I am Jazz. Doesn't have to be all about Jazz. I was disappointed that Ari's lunch with her grandparents turned out to be a talk about Jazz. And the car fixing thing with the buddy turned out to be about Jazz and her trans.  I like these kids. I wanted to know more about Ari's experience and transition back home. I like the twins as well. TLC don't shove Jazz and her transition from male-female every 10 seconds!!  Make it about the family. Keep it natural and real.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am struggling with the fakery as well.  the part when Jazz needed to take a break but coincidentally the trans kid came up and interrupted her me time to tell his story and how Jazz has been such a role model.  It was just hard to swallow due to the fake set up.  If he said all this when he went up for the signature, it would have been more natural.

Also, even though the show is I am Jazz. Doesn't have to be all about Jazz. I was disappointed that Ari's lunch with her grandparents turned out to be a talk about Jazz. And the car fixing thing with the buddy turned out to be about Jazz and her trans.  I like these kids. I wanted to know more about Ari's experience and transition back home. I like the twins as well. TLC don't shove Jazz and her transition from male-female every 10 seconds!!  Make it about the family. Keep it natural and real.

I disagree.  The show is "I am Jazz," not "I am Jazz's family."  There is no nothing special about the other kids and their lives except in relation to Jazz.  I don't think most people are watching this show to see two average high school boys work on a car or an average college sophomore complain that her parents don't pay enough attention to her.  

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 3

I disagree.  The show is "I am Jazz," not "I am the Jazz's family."  There is no nothing special about the other kids and their lives except in relation to Jazz.  I don't think most people are watching this show to see two average high school boys work on a car or an average college sophomore complain that her parents don't pay enough attention to her.  

I agree with this. In fact, I said the same thing out loud while watching. I'm watching to see Jazz, her struggles and her charm. Her family gives her story a nice framework but at times I felt we saw too much of the rest of them and not enough Jazz.

• Love 2

I think the mom gets criticized more than the dad because the mom is out there more than the dad.

I like the show; I like Jazz.  I know she's doing a good thing by advocating for the trans community, but sometimes I wonder if she's not out there "too" much...sometimes I think I'd like it if she were a normal girl: worrying about algebra, class pictures, pep rallies etc.  I know that's not her reality but I kinda don't want her out there 'too much"...she's just a kid.

I have zero interest in seeing Ari catch up with her grandparents. It's not Ari's fault, I just think between this family of 6, plus grandparents, plus the book coauthor, plus friends etc, there are too many people on the show! It's hard to focus on all that in a 30 minute format.

I did notice when the mom was asking Jazz if she would feel comfortable doing a book signing and they were talking with the other lady, Jazz grabbed her mom's hand and started playing with her ring. That was a cute and sweet display of their closeness.

I share concerns with others about Jazz being a child activist.  I feel such concern about her safety and well-being.  One of the world's most prominent child activists was shot in the head over something that, comparatively speaking, isn't all that controversial (Malala, education for girls).  Jazz and her family have certainly received threats, and Jazz also has a lot of pressure on her shoulders to be the 'right' type of transgender person and I worry how that pressure will affect her as she continues to forge her own identity.  

Is the world a better place with these activists who happen to be children?  I think so.  Is it worth the danger and pressures they face?  I want to say yes but I also feel a great deal of fear for them.  

• Love 6

The alarming scene in this episode was when Jeanette was taking to a friend in a coffee shop and she said, "It's so important for Jazz to be out there and sharing her story and engaging face to face with other people. We want to help other people. This is helping so many people."

Yes, obviously Jazz's story is helping other people. But is it right for the mom to insist that a 14-year-old has to share her story just because it can help people? 

And no one mentions the money the family is making from pushing the book, speaking engagements, and the TV show. 

• Love 2

The alarming scene in this episode was when Jeanette was taking to a friend in a coffee shop and she said, "It's so important for Jazz to be out there and sharing her story and engaging face to face with other people. We want to help other people. This is helping so many people."

Yes, obviously Jazz's story is helping other people. But is it right for the mom to insist that a 14-year-old has to share her story just because it can help people? 

And no one mentions the money the family is making from pushing the book, speaking engagements, and the TV show. 

Yeah, it's one thing for children to appear on reality shows, but it's quite another to ask her to be a role model, with all of the responsibility it entails. She may agree to it, but she's still only 14, is she old enough to make that important decision? 

(edited)

I really like this family, even Ari, who needs to get a grip and remember who's paying for things.  I was impressed with 14-year-old Jazz's attitude toward cars: "Its only purpose is to get from point A to point B."  Very refreshing attitude for someone so young (and I totally agree!).

I love Jazz's relationship with her mom.  Any time they're near each other, they have physical contact of some kind.  Jazz is a very lucky girl to have such a supportive family and I think she realizes that.  I'm in for the long haul, but I still have grave concerns about the fact that TLC is airing it.  We're all aware of their track record.  Here's hoping they'll do Jazz and her family justice.  I also hope that the super-obvious fakery is kept to a minimum.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

Jazz is a very lucky girl to have such a supportive family and I think she realizes that.

Going by the OWN documentary when Jazz was eleven, she does.  She participated with her mom in several speaking panels, and listened to the horror stories of many who had come before her and faced all the same things she has plus willful ignorance, or even rejection and hatred from their families. 

(edited)

I disagree.  The show is "I am Jazz," not "I am Jazz's family."  There is no nothing special about the other kids and their lives except in relation to Jazz.  I don't think most people are watching this show to see two average high school boys work on a car or an average college sophomore complain that her parents don't pay enough attention to her.  

I agree with your disagreement. :)   I'm not interested in the other kids (as nice as they seem to be) unless it's concerning Jazz.   I was so bored with the conversation between Ari and her Dad.  I cringed listening to Ari say the word "LIKE" as very other word (as many young people do today) !  Grrr.    Which reminds me, another thing that makes me bat shit crazy is that when Jazz is around or near Ari; Jazz begins using the word "like" as well.   However, on her own Jazz is articulate, bright and easy to listen to.  An excellent speaker.   I hope Ari doesn't "ruin" her and turn her into another teenage drone. .  :(   ( speech patterns aside, I do realize that Jazz loves and needs the support of her big sister, which is fantastic.  I'm just picking some nits.)

I share concerns with others about Jazz being a child activist.  I feel such concern about her safety and well-being.  One of the world's most prominent child activists was shot in the head over something that, comparatively speaking, isn't all that controversial (Malala, education for girls).  Jazz and her family have certainly received threats, and Jazz also has a lot of pressure on her shoulders to be the 'right' type of transgender person and I worry how that pressure will affect her as she continues to forge her own identity.  

Is the world a better place with these activists who happen to be children?  I think so.  Is it worth the danger and pressures they face?  I want to say yes but I also feel a great deal of fear for them.  

Human, get outta my head.  LOL!  I live in the same area in Florida as Jazz; and some parts around here are most definitely NOT friendly and downright violent.  I can't help but be very concerned for this family's safety.  I like your Malala reference, but found it sad that you had to actually point out her name. (I understand WHY you did though!) The whole world should understand who she is, and what she stands for; but sadly most American teens probably know who Kim Kardashian is before Malala.  Ugh.    (hope that all makes sense, Human, I'm not as articulate of a writer as you are!)

On another note:  I love Greg. :) Progressive, sensitive, open minded men that are my age do it for me.  And he's cute too.  : ) OK i'll stop. Eek.

Edited by radishcake
  • Love 3

I live in the same area in Florida as Jazz; and some parts around here are most definitely NOT friendly and downright violent.  I can't help but be very concerned for this family's safety.

I also live in the same area and while the area they live in isn't violent like, let's say, Miami with shooting every day - there are a lot of upper-middle class children that get into trouble (drugs, suicide, bullying, and HORRENDOUS peer pressure). And you've got a family who is concerned about a child's safety, yet promoting her on TV. What happens if Jazz decides she's tired of being a role model? Or what if she discovers she wants to switch her gender back? Where does she go from there? IMO too much pressure on a kid. And it may be that some of the negative attitudes she may run into from her classmates may be because of her overpublicity. 

And if we're talking fakery, that car comment is ridiculous. My kids used to joke about how all the kids would get a brand new Honda (at the least) when they got their licenses but most of the kids from that school were driving BMWs and Lexuses for their first cars. (btw my poor kids were driving my old minivan until they saved up enough to buy their own cars). 

Seems like HER mom is the driving force. I can't say I agree with Jazz's moms choices at all for her.

I very much believe the "guests" were planted. I too am having a difficult time separating the tragedy of reality TV and what should have been a documentary.

Everyone speaks as if they are reading lines. A documentary wouldn't have people making speeches; in life we speak in fragments of sentences, unfinished thoughts, sometimes trip over our words. This is very much scripted and rehearsed. (On my first day of college I called an upperclassman named  Zissell, "Mr. Kissell." So embarrassed I still remember it decades later. But no one in this family speaks spontaneously so they don't make this sort of mistake.) 

On another note: I love Greg. :) Progressive, sensitive, open minded men that are my age do it for me. And he's cute too. : ) OK i'll stop. Eek.

I've been crushing on him too!

While I, here....I've been concerned about Jazz being on a reality show and the attention it might bring, but I honestly think she can handle it and she was already in the public eye to some degree before I am Jazz. My real concern is that this show is on TLC. Nothing ends well on TLC.

Edited by AnnieGirl
  • Love 2

I've been crushing on him too!

While I, here....I've been concerned about Jazz being on a reality show and the attention it might bring, but I honestly think she can handle it and she was already in the public eye to some degree before I am Jazz. My real concern is that this show is on TLC. Nothing ends well on TLC.

I don't know what the ratings are like, but if this gets good ratings I'm sure TLC will want to order another season. Jazz's parents are very loving and protective, but they also seem to be publicity hounds so I don't know if they can resist.

• Love 1