Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Princess

I dunno what they're trying to sell with Jeremy or what the original game plan was (and color me disappointed and surprised that Madison is "just a girl who didn't say no" - that wasn't what they were selling either, there is literally no point to having her basically say she wants to be Quinn, if she's just a babe in the woods), but I do believe that the show is trying to sell me "flawed fake Prince Charming manque Adam, becomes *real* Prince Charming over the course of the season and his travails".  I don't know how to square this with him having sex with Anna (though, are we sure that was Adam and not, say, sleazy host?), but there's nothing that says he hasn't stopped receiving BJ's from Grace, and is just too proud to correct that interpretation.  

Also color me confused as one of the people who thinks/agrees, if Adam is desperate enough to leap on Everlasting Winery, it really makes the stakes bland and weird if all of a sudden, he's simultaneously got enough independent money to fairy-tale expat with Rachel for an indefinite amount of time.

• Love 2

Even with his betrayal I'm not convinced Quinn and Chet are over. They are too enmeshed to make a clean break, both professionally and personally. And it's not like Quinn doesn't know what a douche Chet can be, she's just always been on his side (until the lawsuit) so she didn't have to deal with his shitbag side directly. Right now she is raging and I am loving it, but it's not like she hasn't compromised in her love life before - she spent 8 years being Chet's "other woman." She'll get her pound of flesh but I wouldn't be surprised to see hate sex in the very very near future. That is, mutual hate sex, not the one sided hate sex she's having now, ha.

On another note, one of the things I've liked about Rachel and Adam is that they don't get all slut-shamey and moralistic about the sex stuff. She knew from the beginning about Grace's bjs and saw him in action with the investor's wife; he had to know that "being with Jeremy" meant reigniting their sexual relationship, but neither holds it over each other's heads. It's an aspect of their own, I don't know, compartmentalization? that I think they share and that makes them a better instinctual match than Rachel/Jeremy. Jeremy is a guy who Rachel is always feeling like she has to live up to ('cause he's such a good guy, and she's such a basket case.) Adam doesn't require her to be anyone other than who she is at this moment.

I don't care about any fantasy fairy tale happily ever after ending for Rachel and Adam; IMO those fucking fairy tales have done so much damage to how people think relationships should go: to wit, shows like The Bachelor et al. I just want her, if she has to be with someone, to be with someone who isn't judging her from some hypocritical high horse. Jeremy was engaged, not Rachel.

• Love 5

Alright, I won't lie, I love Rachel & Adam together, but I would be okay if she totally Jane Eyre-d on him and chose to focus on herself and who she needs to become in order to be happy with anyone. Then they can get together later.

I second this.

I just caught up on the last two episodes because of vacation, but I have an observation about the relative merits of Jeremy vs. Adam. When Rachel has sex with Adam, her eyes are wide open, and she's smiling. She's on top, and they're facing each other. When she had sex with Jeremy the first time.... well, I forgot it already, but her face with Adam is the opposite of her face with Jeremy in the shower--miserable, facing away from him. I don't know if the actors or directors or writers are making these choices, but they're clearly Team Prince Charmless. 

Re Rachel and Quinn: Quinn is my favorite character, so you'd think I'd want them together, but I think they are too much the same. I think couples shouldn't be the same sides of two different coins. 

• Love 1
When she had sex with Jeremy the first time.... well, I forgot it already, but her face with Adam is the opposite of her face with Jeremy in the shower--miserable, facing away from him.

In fairness, that moment with her and Jeremy came on the heels of her having sex with Adam and ymmv, but I just took her expression in the shower as a mixture of guilt and confusion which seems fairly normal to me. It's kind of gross to think about but essentially her being with Jeremy at the moment meant she slept with him and Adam in the same night. 

I thought Adam was still in love with his ex-fiancé in England, named Poppy or something. Or is it that she's still in love with him? I don't think we've heard the end of that story line. Maybe Poppy will show up on set and make a scene. And it'll turn out that her name is Pippa Middleton.

I'm thinking they'll all flame out and Madison will get Quinn's job.

\Also color me confused as one of the people who thinks/agrees, if Adam is desperate enough to leap on Everlasting Winery, it really makes the stakes bland and weird if all of a sudden, he's simultaneously got enough independent money to fairy-tale expat with Rachel for an indefinite amount of time.

The winery is Adam trying to be his own man without his family involved.  Hence, no family money.  Running off with Rachel would put him back in the family fold.  He'd be the black sheep son, but he'd be the dutiful son as well.  However well or poorly he plays the part, he's still fulfilling his role in the family and would be able to access the family funds.

But I think both Adam and Rachel realize it's a fairy tale fantasy that can't go anywhere, regardless of how much at least one of them wants it. Or they will, when they actually think.

But I think both Adam and Rachel realize it's a fairy tale fantasy that can't go anywhere, regardless of how much at least one of them wants it. Or they will, when they actually think.

A sick fantasy, maybe. Even though I love the chemistry between Rachel and Adam, I'm wondering how Rachel can continue to have feelings for this guy after witnessing him have sex with 3 different women during the course of the show? (I'm counting Grace's oral delights as sex). Could there be even more women that she doesn't know about? I can't believe that the thought of Adam sticking his dick into multiple women doesn't gross Rachel out.  If nothing else, isn't she worried about STDs, HIV, genital warts, cervical cancer, etc.? And since no one uses a condom anymore on television, what about pregnancy? Adam could potentially be the father of 3 children, all born within one month of each other.   --Why did he sleep with Anna, by the way? Was he that horny? He already knew she'd accept his proposal, so he didn't have to have sex with her to get her on board with marriage.

Oh, and Rachel could potentially get pregnant and not know who the father is.

I love this show,  but this particular episode seemed a little more soapy and campy than usual. Who's two-timing whom? Who's plotting something and will make a shocking reveal?

I'm looking forward to the finale.

--Why did he sleep with Anna, by the way? Was he that horny? He already knew she'd accept his proposal, so he didn't have to have sex with her to get her on board with marriage.

I thought Adam had sex with Anna because he knew Rachel was watching. We know he usually covers up the camera (to some ineffective degree) when he's hooking up with someone, and in this episode he was purposely trying to rile Rachel up by flaunting the future Rachel wanted (saving African AIDs babies) as something he could provide for Anna.

• Love 2

Given the game they seemed to be playing, I think Adam knew that Rachel would fold and watch the monitor. I felt like he was very clearly manipulating her to call her bluff that she didn't care about him, which is why he went to "their spot" (where they first met) to pitch his "Let's run away" idea right after.

• Love 4

Given the game they seemed to be playing, I think Adam knew that Rachel would fold and watch the monitor. I felt like he was very clearly manipulating her to call her bluff that she didn't care about him, which is why he went to "their spot" (where they first met) to pitch his "Let's run away" idea right after.

I never thought of it that way. I did think it was strange coincidence that they both ended up there. But your explanation makes way more sense.

• Love 1

So either Adam was certain in his heart that Rachel would break that rule (and find herself alone in the control room in order to break it), or he thought she wouldn't know unless he or Anna told her (maybe he assumed Anna would make it clear in morning-after interviews that they'd had sex).

I thought he slept with her because Rachel had told him she was back with Jeremy.  So, why not, from his perspective?  I think it's clear that he uses sex for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with affection - mostly physical release but also bribery/money.  So....why not? 

• Love 3

We knew it was going to happen and it's happening. They're going full force on the Adam/Rachel/Jeremy love triangle thing. I hate it because Rachel was a more interesting character when the show started and this is turning her into Bella Swan. Gosh, she's just so wonderful that all these guys are falling for her. NO, that's not the Rachel you sold me on, show.

The Chet/Quinn pointless sex scene was great this week. So cringey. I loved when she put her hand over his face. I have no idea where they're going with these shows she's going to pitch and getting Madison a lawyer though. And Madison is not living up to her potential. I don't know if it's the actress or how they're writing the character but I have no idea what's going on with her. You need something. I can't just keep hoping she's going to be interesting. Contrast that with the psychiatrist who just got a lot more interesting.

A different show would have had Jeremy smell Adam's cologne on Rachel. A different show would have had Grace walk in on Adam kissing Rachel. I do like that it isn't all big reveals and part of the great thing about Unreal is that is lets people keep their toxic secrets for as long as they can. That's one of the reasons Madison and Chet last week seemed so wrong.

I like the idea that Rachel and Adam might also be falling under the spell of UnReal. It's an angle to their relationship I can get behind.

It was nice to see a return to the backstage shenanigans with the horseback riding date on the fake horse and the hot air balloon never going anywhere and getting rained out.

I didn't buy any of the Jeremy/Rachel scenes for a second. 

YES! YES! YES! I love Faith making a play to win. I thought it was weird that she was suddenly into the renovation thing. Even at the end when she was eliminated, she showed she had the strongest real connection to Adam. God, I want to see this actress in something else.

I don't understand how the towel fell off the camera but sure, at least they explained it. And in context, Adam wanting to protect Rachel made more sense. 

I would have liked to see Rachel admit the truth the Jeremy and take away Quinn's bargaining power. 

• Love 1