Type keyword(s) to search

Which Other Reality Shows Should Get The UnREAL Treatment?

Oh this is an easy one.... Biiiiiiiiiig Brother, for sure. There's plenty of producer manipulation in the diary room, in challenge practices, etc. so I think it would be great.

When you said this show is "fixable" at first I thought you meant "made better" until I realized what you actually meant. Both of those are so true.

I'm so nostalgic for the days of unscripted DR sessions...

God, The Challenge would be SO perfect for this! It literally is a miracle that no one has died on this show. I mean, Knight choked on his own vomit at home, but it's only by the grace of the crazy voodoo Bunim/Murray luck that it didn't happen on a Challenge.

Survivor...the granddaddy of them all. THe very first season a contestant (Stacey) sued claiming that Mark Burnett told Shaun he of the alphabet voting) and some other douche who to vote for the night she was eliminated. I never heard what happened with all of that though. But the manipulated showmances, the contests, the rigged challenges, casting some actor who can play a giant sexist douche in the Probst part...this would be awesome.

• Love 1

I'd flip the King of the Nerds one on it's head - have the contestants recognize the manipulation, and turn it around on the producers (some of which Adam actually does do on UnREAL.)

Which other reality show should get the UnREAL treatment?

RuPaul's Drag Race.

And how should the cast meet untimely ends?

Just like the 1971 Vincent Price movie The Abominable Dr. Phibes: one by one, they each die like the ten plagues in the Old Testament.

• Love 1

The Next Food Network Star - even casual viewers can see how rigged it is.  Teams always manage to stay even after eliminations - no team loses 2 in a row, among many other things.  Plus, as will all cooking competitions, the audience cannot taste anything and only have judge and guest comments to go on, which can also be edited around even w/o forcing someone to say something.  A dish could get one neg comment from guests and 100 positive, they can show that one negative comment, and just one positive comment to show and make it look like a close thing.  Then do the same for someone with 100 negative comments and 1 positive and now it looks oh so close.  And unlike fashion or singing or anything else, where seeing or hearing is all you need to judge for yourself, we can never know.

• Love 1

editorgrrl you read my mind! I would LOVE to see an Unreal version of RPDR. As you and I both know (being fans of both shows) shady judging & all to obvious eliminations have become commonplace on RPDR so I would love see to Ru's claws come out ala Quinn and see just how things shake down behind-the-scenes.

Actually I would like to see any competition type of reality tv get the Unreal treatment. Project Runway, Top Chef, anything that is suppose to involve some type of talent.

• Love 1
(edited)

Great question. If filmed well, I think that a lot of reality shows would work well with the Un-real treatment. However, what made Un-real great, was the writing as well as the character development. If Unreal had a second season, I almost think it would be cooler for the show's producers to be involved in a different reality show rather than another Bachelor-type show. Unless they switched to a Bachelorette version, which would also be fun. They could either pick the two finalists Grace or Anna, or someone entirely different. I think Shamiqua would make an interesting Bachelorette too, especially given her guarded nature, but I don't really see them using her.  

Ferretrick:  "Survivor...the granddaddy of them all. THe very first season a contestant (Stacey) sued claiming that Mark Burnett told Shaun he of the alphabet voting) and some other douche who to vote for the night she was eliminated. I never heard what happened with all of that though. But the manipulated showmances, the contests, the rigged challenges, casting some actor who can play a giant sexist douche in the Probst part...this would be awesome."

I think that a Survivor-type show could be spectacular,  especially given its potential for tons of different subplots involving the dynamics of the contestants and the production crew. Aside from Survivor, which is my top choice,  my other top choices would be a Bachelorette version of Un-real or a singing competitions like Idol or The Voice. As a  fan of dance, I think I might enjoy seeing  So You Think you can dance or Dances with the Stars-getting the Un-real treatment if done right. 

Edited by FrancesL
Unless they switched to a Bachelorette version, which would also be fun. They could either pick the two finalists Grace or Anna, or someone entirely different.

I definitely agree with a Bachelorette style. Seeing all the dudebros strut around like peacocks could be interesting. Otherwise I do agree about Survivor. Quinn and Chet on an island? Comedy gold. 

• Love 1

I vote Survivor, with the retaping of challenges, etc. Amazing race can sort of be manipulated, but not a lot they really do go on the bungie chords, I went to one of the TVCh after the who parties and talked to a lot of the contestants and what happened happened, they just edited so it looked different but results did not change, They nevr tell you when people are sick and people get sick a lot on Amazing race,still don't think that would be interesting to know.

I really think the best next step for this show would be to do a season of something like The Bachelor Pad. For a while I really thought that was where they were going to go with Adam's vineyard. Throw a bunch of old contestants into the Everlasting Vineyard & Spa for a few weeks and mix it up. I think the show would work well if they did one season of that (so in the same vein, but not a copy of season one), before moving on to a more different reality show.

Amazing Race, ANTM, or Project Runway would be fun to watch. I'd like to see the show go old school with The Swan or Flavor of Love knock-off. With the former, UnReal could turn every enhancement into a prequel for Botched. A Dr. Drew-type rehab show could provide for some producer manipulation seeing as how UnReal really went there screwing with a contestant"s meds. 

I think if they spoof others, they would probably go for the big ones like Big Brother, Survivor, Idol, America's Got Talent, etc. They'd have to get some former staff on board if they choose to try out a different genre though.

I think that Bachelor in Paradise is almost there. It's so incredibly stupid and producer manipulated that it's hard not to believe that everyone involved isn't doing it tongue in cheek.  Raccoons, has beens, really horrible settings- given the ratings, and the last few seasons of the Bachelor and Bachelorette, the producers seem to be going out of their way to make fun of the franchise. There's nothing that's not idiotic about it. 

But I'd pay more to see a behind the scenes of RuPaul's Drag Race.  It's a long standing favourite in our house, and there's no doubt that it's a bit more competitive and weird than how it appears onscreen. 

Another vote for Big Brother.

The production influence of the diary room, the showmances, the ridiculous competitions, and throw in examples of past "scandals" - HGs getting into physical fights, homophobic and racist comments, HGs railed up on ADHD meds.

There's got to be a former BB staffer whose NDA has expired they could get on board as a consultant.

Can you imagine what kind of things production must say in the control room when they watch the feeds?

I'd love to see them take on one of those TLC shows.  I wonder how some of these characters would react if they were constantly surrounded by children or some of the other "characters" on these reality shows.

Otherwise, after watching this season's run of Food Network Star, I wouldn't mind them parody a cooking competition show.

Another vote for Big Brother. This series is so conducive in mimicking the show manipulation blantantly (Diary Room), and has the real-time feel that unReal was going for with "Everlasting".

• Love 1

My reality show of choice is This Old House, so I'm probably not the best person to suggest this, but whatever reality show it was that gave us the memorable phrase "My Ox is Broken".

Having seen only one episode of The Great British Bake-off (I think that's what it's called), I would adore if the cracked* minds that brought us UnReal would do a similar treatment of that show.  I think it could be HIGH-larious!

* NOTE: Cracked is totally a compliment here.

• Love 1

While BB would be nice, I now absolutely want to see them 'do' ANTM. Especially the latest versions, with cheapo trip (forget any couture capital of the world, we're going to Las Vegas!!!), cheapo photographer (one again, your photographer will be my boyfriend; or, this week, to change it up, my mom), drama galore, etc. Plus, as ANTM is no more, it would be nice to watch a behind the scene version.

The Face could work too, with the fake drama between the judges. 

Edited by NutMeg