Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Meeting Cait

Episode Synopsis:

In the series premiere, Caitlyn Jenner proudly announces her true self to the world via a Vanity Fair magazine cover story, but at the same time struggles with meeting some of her family for the first time. Meanwhile, she becomes inspired to learn more about transgender youth in crisis.

(edited)

I LOVE ESTHER.

How nice to see Kylie with the Jenners, she seemed more relaxed & natural. Almost a different girl... Nice to see her appreciative of her Grandmothers pic of herself at the same age

Bruce's sisters look like older unsurgically altered versions of Kylie/ Kendall.

I love that there was focus put on troubled transgendered teens. Good on Cait.

Color me pleasantly surprised overall.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 5

I'm in.

This is the first E! show I've ever willingly watched (not counting when I was forced to watch KUWTK marathons while getting my nails done).

Really enjoyed the first ep. Caitlyn is a lot of fun. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 5

My fave part was when Bruce's sister was busting Kanye about the untied laces.

However my disbelief continues with this show as with KUWTK. Rhonda who was Kris' friend, the one Bruce was "dating" is seen here as his support. That's fine but they all must have known and played out that story for the show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Pleasantly impressed with the first episode. I liked seeing her mom and sisters, and Mom being able to ask questions. Appreciate Caitlyn supporting other trans families. I didn't watch the Kardashian show, so I don't know much backstory.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 4
(edited)

Why am I not surprised that Khloe didn't like the Vanity Fair article?  It seems between this and how angrily and aggressively she was shown reacting towards Bruce in the two "About Bruce..." episodes of "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" that nothing is good enough to make her happy unless it's done/said exactly the way she wants or how she thinks it should be done/said.  I also raised an eyebrow over the fact that the first time Kylie "met" Caitlyn was when the cameras were around.  Apparently everyone else except Rob, Kourtney, and (of course) Khloe had already seen Bruce as Caitlyn without the cameras.  Other than the fact that I can completely understand how hard this may be for them, I really think that deep down, Khloe and Kylie don't agree with this transition, but are putting up a facade and saying PC things to save face.

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 3

What a shallow heap of Kardashian-inspired crap.

The continued emphasis on clothes, makeup and hair .... is that all there is to being transgender?  Getting the clothes and makeup right?  Is living an authentic life only about making sure you have the perfect wardrobe, hairstyle and manicure and have spent a million dollars on facial surgery?

And the visit to the grieving family of the teen who just killed himself seemed mostly designed to make Cait look good.

• Love 20

I'm confused about Susan Landon.  Her LinkedIn profile says she is a Psychotherapist, yet her education is listed as Vermont College of Norwich University, which appears to offer online degrees in writing, film, etc.  I don't see where she has any education or training in counseling, therapy, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Susan/Landon

Vermont College at Norwich University no longer exists. The programs were acquired by Union Institute and University in 2001 which runs them online.

Here is some history: http://www.ourherald.com/news/2008-06-26/Community_News/com04.html

• Love 1

I am pleasantly surprised.  I wasn't really looking forward to watching as I am not a fan of the Jenner/Kardashian clan.  I also knew that some of Caitlyn's interests included fashion and sports and I find these two things tremendously boring.  So, while I tuned out when sports and fashion was happening, I found the rest of the episode to be well done.  I assumed that Caitlyn's family would be the surrogate for much of the audience, they'd be the one's asking the questions and expressing their pain and concerns about this transition.  I really hadn't been expecting Cait or E! to put so much focus on trans issues in general, especially as it relates to young people.

I think the segment with Kyler's mom was very well done.  This is where I breathed a sigh of relief because the camera maintaining focus for so long on Kyler indicated that E! is aware that they have more of a duty here than just earning bucks.  I also was really glad that it was pointed out by Kyler's mom that so much of the harassment Kyler experienced came from adults.  I think hearing this can potentially cause a lot of adults to pause and truly reconsider the way they interact with trans you.  I mean, here we have a beautiful child who took his own life and one cause that led to this terrible tragedy was grown ups being unkind, disrespectful or even outright hostile.  To a child.  

The previews look promising.  It can be really hard and triggery to show the family's reaction to the transition, but I think it's important, even if it's a highly edited version of that reaction.  I would have been sticking with this docuseries regardless as it's just something that will be discussed within my professional and social circles but I'm glad that it won't be Keeping up with Cait all the time and that she is using this platform to highlight some very real issues that the wider trans community faces every single day.  

• Love 11

I have to agree with remotecontrolfreak. Caitlyn is far too wrapped up in the superficial part of being a woman. She is almost gloating over the designer clothes she has been given, not to mention how giddy she got over the thought of beating Kris out in a "Who wore it best" contest. And I loathe Kris Jenner! It's hard to then take her seriously when she puts on the caring activist hat. And what the heck did she (her plastic surgeon) do to her lips? It's like one side of her top lip droops. I don't know if that's why, but she almost talks with a lisp now. I don't remember Bruce having a speech impediment in the past.

I don't know how many episodes this series is supposed to have, but if all that happens is Caitlyn going on and on about her hair and makeup each week, then I've seen enough already.

One more thing: I was shocked to learn that Bruce/Caitlyn has another sister! Where has she been?

• Love 8

They used the Oprah/Barbara Walters lens and filtering to make Caitlyn look pretty, which she is now, but not so youthful, smooth  and glowing. I don't think they gave her mother, Esther, the same consideration, but then again, this is all about Caitlyn and how fabulous her new existence is.

• Love 7
(edited)

I find it hard to explain how I feel.  I have no idea why I teared up when Kylie met her on face time and on camera.  I was watching with my teen daughter and she said "She probably got in her car and cried."  My daughter's a teen and I'm sure she was thinking...'what if that was my dad'.  Actually she did say that - but I made her giggle because dad is bald.  I said he would need Wendy William's wigs.  

I want to be understanding and I think I am.  Just all the plastic surgery and the "you should wear this dress and I'll put mom in hers."  I'm sure THAT would be filmed.  But on the otherhand, I see how she is trying to help the transgender community, so I'm torn.  I'll have to rewatch it.  I couldn't imagine walking into my brother's home for the first time.  I think it was all to invading privacy for me.  Not EVERYTHING has to be filmed.

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 5

I really liked some aspects of the show which focused on Caitlyn learning while also trying to inform the audience. The focus on the opportunity Caitlyn has and especially the responsibility. Loved going to San Diego in the end to visit the grieving family, but wasn't that fond of the focus of the paparazzi trek there. I guess it was to show how much Caitlyn was going through to get there  but I think it took away from the actual purpose if the trip.

Kanye appeared (which was an amazement in it;s own right) but his comments were great also. Esther also was really good at handling everything. Kylie meeting her for the first time was well done, not surprised she was putting off meeting Caitlyn and Khloe too. Khloe taking it all the hardest is in character of her and is so realistic to transgender families going through this that it's good they're showing it. That it's not all perfect for Caitlyn. 

• Love 4

They used the Oprah/Barbara Walters lens and filtering to make Caitlyn look pretty, which she is now, but not so youthful, smooth  and glowing. I don't think they gave her mother, Esther, the same consideration, but then again, this is all about Caitlyn and how fabulous her new existence is.

(edited)

Waiting to rewatch it again....I finally found one reality show I can't watch - Stewarts & Hamiltons.  Kill me now.

I am wondering how Rob K is handling this show - I am Cait.  

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 3

I thought it was pretty good. She talks about how lucky she is, & that most transgender people don't have the privileges she has, so she recognizes that, but she also enjoys finally being able to be a girl (even at the age of 65) & that's fun to watch. Her mom is awesome, having your son become another daughter after 65 years of being your son must be incredibly hard, but it seems like she's doing the best she can with it.

Whose voice was Kanye speaking with?

• Love 6

I really think that deep down, Khloe and Kylie don't agree with this transition, but are putting up a facade and saying PC things to save face.

It would be hard to see your Dad transition to a woman, plain and simple.  Of course you want your loved ones to be happy but that would be tough!

That said, I liked the show.  I felt that Cait is honestly trying to use her platform for the greater good, and what more can we expect?  Has to be weird for her too, sometimes.

• Love 3

Overall, I found it interesting.  I do agree that Caitlyn acts like a giddy teenager sometimes - I could have done without the whole clothes in the closet segment  - but I am willing to give her a pass because this is so new to her. 

I thought the segment with her mother was very well done - Esther was clearly struggling and I found her reactions genuine and honest.  I could have done without Kim and Kayne, but the cameras were rolling -no way they were going to miss it, so I get it.  That too, I think was scripted.  A chance for Kanye to make some profound statement and for Kim to look at him with adoring eyes.

Kylie - good grief - her first "meeting" with Caitlyn is via Facetime, on national tv,  and she has no idea it's coming? Not good - I'm guessing that segment was also scripted.  This is her father we're talking about - I would think a private, personal meeting would have been arranged prior to that.  I mean if you really cared about Kylie and Kendall's reaction (as Caitlyn keeps saying she does), then I think you would have done that differently.  I also noticed  that Caitlyn kept talking about her "family' and mentioned Rob, Khloe, Kylie, Kendall, etc. but never mentioned any of her Jenner children.   Maybe that's because they are not going to be on the show, but I still thought it was odd.

I did think the visit to the grieving family was important because the mom was able to articulate some of the struggles faced by transgender teens/young adults.  I am not sure if the visit would have taken place if Caitlyn was not filming, but again, I give her a pass because the family clearly agreed,and having the cameras there gave them the opportunity to tell their child's story.

So, I'm in for now, but we'll see how it goes.  

• Love 4

It looks like in the previews for next week they showed one of the more famous transgender people- I think her name is Jenny, or Jennifer, she was on Oprah a long time ago, she's a Harvard professor, I think, and she wrote a book about her story.  It looked like she said something to the effect of, Is this all about makeup and hair?  I really hope they get into this issue.  Cait seems to be about the fashion, the makeup, the hair extensions, the manis and pedis,  That is not what it means to be a woman.

• Love 5

Hmm. I very much appreciate that E seems to realize they have a monumental opportunity to educate and are apparently going to try their best to do this right. Caitlyn seems to care deeply about doing this right, as well. I saw a tweet that said "how amazing we're all learning at the same time with this show." It really is! This is a big moment for our society. 

Shallow but she doesn't look like a Caitlyn to me. Maybe because I'm Khloe's age and all the Caitlyn/Kaitlyns I know are 20/30somethings, not 65! One thing is for sure though, she is so happy. I can't imagine the freedom and the joy, truly. Her mannerisms are weird. In the preview she's snapping her fingers and saying something about "baby" and I was like 'what is that?' I understand she's trying to figure out how to be a woman but it's awkward.

Esther is unconditional love personified. I feel awkward that we are seeing everyone grapple with this in front of us. It's very real and relatable, but damn it feels so personal. I loved seeing her try and piece it together with the therapist and the story about Caitlyn trying to shuck off the boy clothes. 

I am very interested to continue to hear Khloe's issues (like with the VF article) and see Kim's conversation with Caitlyn from the preview where she says "This is your time to shine, but don't bash us on your way up." I wonder what she is talking about.

• Love 3

I am very interested to continue to hear Khloe's issues (like with the VF article) and see Kim's conversation with Caitlyn from the preview where she says "This is your time to shine, but don't bash us on your way up." I wonder what she is talking about.

I wonder if it has something to do with this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/khloe-kim-kardashian-reveal-anger-6145605

where Caitlyn claims that the marriage breakdown was primarily due to the way Kris treated him and not the gender issues.

On KUWTK, Kim cried her fake Kim tears about how much Kris was hurting, and how hard it was for Kris, blah blah blah and she's such a great mom and they need to support her.  (And I don't doubt for one second this is hard for Kris).

But last night, Kim and Caitlyn were giggling in the closet about how they can set Kris up to wear a dress and have Caitlyn show up at the house in the same dress - oh, won't that be hysterical?

This show is in danger of making me feel bad for Kris Jenner - and I truly never thought those words would come out of my keyboard.

• Love 9

I mean if you really cared about Kylie and Kendall's reaction (as Caitlyn keeps saying she does), then I think you would have done that differently.

This is a person who's letting her 17 year old daughter pal around with a 26 year old man who has a child and who basically checked out of being a present parent for her four older children (yet made the time to be around his four step-children).  I've never thought too much of Bruce/Cait's parenting so...

Mama Jenner rocks!

• Love 7
(edited)

I am totally ready, willing and able to give Caitlyn a pass with the superficial girly stuff - the makeup, the hair, the clothes, etc.  For almost 70 years, she's supressed who she's really felt she is ... I can totally see most people going overboard on the exterior warpaint of womanhood.  Hell, it's fun to play dress up sometimes and Caitlyn is someone who can FINALLY do that and not worry about who sees her.

I just don't know if this is compelling television. 

And I don't know if Jenner is the right person to be speaking to the teen transgender community.  Laverne Cox, yes.  Janet Mock, yes.  Caitlyn Jenner?  Not sure.  The people who I really think that Caitlyn can make a difference with is the family of a trans person - a family that is struggling in acceptance.  If Caitlyn is struggling to find her niche - I think speaking to the family could be it.  (Along with Esther.  Take Esther everywhere.)

Edited by chuckity
  • Love 5

I always thought Bruce was kinda shallow and vapid. And Cait is kinda too although she seems to be trying relax and more caring.  But she is just so happy it's infectious.

Caitlyn is finally getting all the attention she has been craving since her glory days in Montreal. She has money, family, stylists, assistants and makeup people, newly found friends giving unconditional love and everyone wants to be around her.  The focus is back on her. The money is coming in and the kids are not her responsibility anymore. Of course she's happy.

• Love 9

I am totally ready, willing and able to give Caitlyn a pass with the superficial girly stuff - the makeup, the hair, the clothes, etc.  For almost 70 years, she's supressed who she's really felt she is ... I can totally see most people going overboard on the exterior warpaint of womanhood.  Hell, it's fun to play dress up sometimes and Caitlyn is someone who can FINALLY do that and not worry about who sees her.

That's how I felt, too. For Caitlyn, this is the first step of womanhood - dressing like a woman. The other steps will come.

And I don't know if Jenner is the right person to be speaking to the teen transgender community.

I'm not sure how big the teen audience is for KUWTK, but it does at least have a younger demographic. Teens would probably respond better to I Am Jazz on TLC.

It looks like in the previews for next week they showed one of the more famous transgender people- I think her name is Jenny, or Jennifer, she was on Oprah a long time ago, she's a Harvard professor, I think, and she wrote a book about her story.  It looked like she said something to the effect of, Is this all about makeup and hair?  I really hope they get into this issue.  Cait seems to be about the fashion, the makeup, the hair extensions, the manis and pedis,  That is not what it means to be a woman.

Jennifer Finney Boylan. I agree, hopefully she'll be someone who can help Cait through the next stages of her transition.

• Love 2

She got asked about it on twitter.

@kyle_mayou I loved the Vanity Fair article! just didnt think Caitlyn needed to mention my mom in the article. Spread love and not hate

— Khloé (@khloekardashian) July 27, 2015

I assume you mean Jennifer Boylan.  It's very unlikely that Jenny B would have made that comment in the context of what it means to be a woman because Mrs. Boylan is pretty clear on the part where there is no single defining way to be a woman.  The context of Boylan's comment seems to focus on Caitlyn's show, on how if Caitlyn wants to bring awareness to the trans community, the show needs to be about more than just her own transition and her own personal interests, one of which includes fashion.

I think it's important to be careful about how we discuss this.  There isn't a single thing that defines what it means to be a woman.  This will be different for everyone. Further women have varied interests.  There is a difference between discussing Caitlyn's interests in a negative way, or discussing how her interests are being presented in this docuseries alongside serious issues facing the trans community and discussing Caitlyn's interests as a way to define her gender.  She has defined her gender, that's not our job.  I am super bored by fashion and hair and makeup.  Could not care less.  But my disliking this doesn't afford me the right to determine whether or not a woman can decide that these things are part of her being a woman.  We don't question Kim K's Woman status when she spends hours grooming herself, for example.  

• Love 7

I hated the drop-in by Kim and Kanye. They were there for ten minutes! Not really a visit just time to be on camera! So lame. The fake hug of Kanye to Pam - that kind of cracked me up.

I hated the drop-in by Kim and Kanye. They were there for ten minutes! Not really a visit just time to be on camera! So lame. The fake hug of Kanye to Pam - that kind of cracked me up.

The only faker hug was the one between Caitlyn and him. Caitlyn has said before and said last night that she barely knows him. And no North? Very telling. On KUWTK Caitlyn mentioned to Kim about bonding time with North and Kim made some feeble excuse.

(edited)

They weren't going to have North on the show, they barely have her show her face on KUWTK. Kanye doesn't want her on it or himself, which was why him appearing and talking on this 'I am Cait' was actually special and showed he was doing it for the message. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 6

It was so awkward. I had secondhand embarrassment for sure. Also, when Kim and Cait came back from looking in her closet, it looked like the others were standing around and Kanye was just staring at his phone. So polite.

I was wondering how that must have gone- leaving the others alone in a room with Kanye. I can't imagine theconversation (if there was any). That must have been 100 times more awkward than anything related to meeting Caitlyn for the first time!

Count me in with those that are willing to give Caitlyn some time before assuming she's only interested in the "perks" of being a lady. I'm sure she must feel like a kid in a candy store finally being able to style herself as she wishes after so many years. Time will tell, but I'm pleased that she seems to be making good on her promise to try to help the trans community.

• Love 7

Interesting, Katydid. I was going to judge her based on all the talk of hair and makeup, and we all know all the Kardashian women seem to care about is the way they look. That said, I myself indulged in some new makeup items yesterday, and I love clothes and makeup and looking pretty, so being able to do that for the first time must feel fantastic.

• Love 5

It was so awkward. I had secondhand embarrassment for sure. Also, when Kim and Cait came back from looking in her closet, it looked like the others were standing around and Kanye was just staring at his phone. So polite.

I'm sure he didn't want to miss a call from some famous designer or artist who is in desperate need of his genius.

I noticed they blurred the back of his shirt as he left. No free advertising.

• Love 3

And what the heck did she (her plastic surgeon) do to her lips? It's like one side of her top lip droops. I don't know if that's why, but she almost talks with a lisp now. I don't remember Bruce having a speech impediment in the past.

^^ THIS. The lisp starting happening a while ago, even on the Kardahsian show. I think it's the result of some of the facial surgery in the mouth, teeth , jaw, gums area. I think something happened during that restructuring. Also one eye, the left, think seems pulled tighter than the other, it's a little "off."

• Love 4

They weren't going to have North on the show, they barely have her show her face on KUWTK. Kanye doesn't want her on it or himself, which was why him appearing and talking on this 'I am Cait' was actually special and showed he was doing it for the message.

In my humble opinion, Kanye knew the ratings this show would drum up. There was no way he was missing out on his cameo. Same with the engagement, the wedding, etc. Too bad Cait fell for it.

She got asked about it on twitter.

@kyle_mayou I loved the Vanity Fair article! just didnt think Caitlyn needed to mention my mom in the article. Spread love and not hate

— Khloé (@khloekardashian) July 27, 2015

That family had no problem treating Bruce like a 2nd class citizen or as if he were totally invisible so they've got nerve now lashing out at Cait for expressing how Bruce felt back then since that's basically what we all saw.

• Love 6

I'm a terrible person but I really want to see the Tom Ford dress "Who Wore It Best" because I think Cait will win and Kris' head will explode...

Anything that makes Kris's head explode is must watch TV.

I really enjoyed it and Caitlin seems like a kind, fun lady. I did cringe when Kanye said the F word in front of Caitlin's mother.

He's nothing if not classy.

Probably the first and only time he hangs with Caitlyn.

• Love 3
(edited)

And what the heck did she (her plastic surgeon) do to her lips? It's like one side of her top lip droops. I don't know if that's why, but she almost talks with a lisp now. I don't remember Bruce having a speech impediment in the past.

Yes, this was especially noticeable to me as I listened to her give her speech at the ESPY Awards.  My guess at the time was too much lip injection, but then this below makes sense, too.

The lisp starting happening a while ago, even on the Kardahsian show. I think it's the result of some of the facial surgery in the mouth, teeth , jaw, gums area. I think something happened during that restructuring. Also one eye, the left, think seems pulled tighter than the other, it's a little "off."

Do any of the Canadians here know of a Canadian network that is airing this other than E! at the moment? 

Edited by Cementhead
(edited)

I always thought Bruce was kinda shallow and vapid. And Cait is kinda too although she seems to be trying relax and more caring.  But she is just so happy it's infectious.

Exactly how I feel.  Of course Caitlyn would focus on her hair/makeup/clothes for the show because how things look is what Jenner has mostly always focused on. Or maybe I should say, how things look on camera. She has made and entire career [and millions of dollars] in front of a camera - something that never would have been as successful if she didn't look as good as she did. 

And she spent the last 25 years with Kris and her brood; their two daughters together have been on camera since they were little girls.  I mean, Kris turned how Kim looks [and not much else]  into an empire.

Overall, I found it interesting.  I do agree that Caitlyn acts like a giddy teenager sometimes - I could have done without the whole clothes in the closet segment  - but I am willing to give her a pass because this is so new to her. 

The newest part is doing it on TV.    And yes, she's loving it. 

And I don't know if Jenner is the right person to be speaking to the teen transgender community.  Laverne Cox, yes.  Janet Mock, yes.  Caitlyn Jenner?  Not sure.  The people who I really think that Caitlyn can make a difference with is the family of a trans person - a family that is struggling in acceptance.  If Caitlyn is struggling to find her niche - I think speaking to the family could be it.  (Along with Esther.  Take Esther everywhere.)

For better or worse, Caitlyn's audience is far bigger than those names.  It spans generations.  My father would have no idea who Laverne Cox is but he absolutely knows the name Bruce Jenner.   My fourteen year old niece had no idea about Jenner and the Olympics but knows her  as "Kendall and Kylie's Dad."   I'm not sure if she is the "right" person or not, but there is no denying she's far more famous than any other transgendered woman at the moment and if she can do anything to help older generations understand this issue then she is the right person right now.   

Edited to clean up pronoun use. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

That family had no problem treating Bruce like a 2nd class citizen or as if he were totally invisible so they've got nerve now lashing out at Cait for expressing how Bruce felt back then since that's basically what we all saw.

Nothing will make me forget how Khloe and Kris treated Caitlyn during Khloe's wedding to Lamar. They were enraged that Caitlyn dared to be upset they were keeping the wedding secret from her and that she (Caitlyn) learned about Khloe's upcoming wedding on the news.  That was so horrendous I thought my head was spinning around like The Exorcist.

• Love 5
(edited)
Cait seems to be about the fashion, the makeup, the hair extensions, the manis and pedis, That is not what it means to be a woman.

Well, look at what she's been exposed to for the past 20 years. The female branches of the Kardashian/Jenner tree. I always felt sorry for Rob and Bruce, because it must have been overwhelming to be a male in that house.

Anything that makes Kris's head explode is must watch TV.

Heh. THIS. 

Here's my pronoun question: If I am referring to what happens NOW, she is Caitlin. But, when referencing something that happened years ago (such as the conflict at Khloe's wedding), don't we use "he" and "Bruce?"  That was who she was then, right?

And yeah, they have ZERO beef with anything Caitlin says about "the family" now, considering that as Bruce, Caitlin was treated like a fucking piece of furniture by Kris and the females in the Jenner home, most of the time.  

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 3

Boylan is a paid consultant to I AM CAIT, brought in presumably to make the show not just about clothes and makeup. E! is not saying exactly what her role is.

See http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/es-caitlyn-jenner-series-using-810288

Very interesting, thanks for posting the link remotecontrolfreak.  When I heard E! and Bunim/Murray were the producers behind this show my expectations instantly dropped to KUWTK level of reality.  But maybe Jennifer Boylan can help keep this show somewhat on track - although she's just one consultant.   

• Love 1
(edited)

And of course Kanye has to make it about them - how amazing that the stepfather of a "supermodel" would come out like this!! Kim is Kanye's mirror, so that's how he sees it - rather than how amazing it is for a male Olympian. (Unless they edited that part out.)

oops, never mind - he was talking about Kendall. That's what happens when multi-tasking. Watched it again.

The breakout star - Esther Jenner.

She was wonderful - and really enjoyed her daughters too, all three of them. Edited by nexxie
  • Love 3