Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Slumber Party

• Start Topic

On 7/27/2015 at 0:20 PM, desertflower said:

Brenda's "Why don't you just shut up" to Amanda is one of my favorite Brenda moments ever. Nobody can spit an insult and glare better than Brenda.

Brenda could bring the bitch when it was needed. "You have been a MAJOR bitch all evening!" Loved it. Definitely one of my favorite episodes.

• Love 3
  On 7/27/2015 at 1:53 PM, txhorns79 said:

I thought they just thought that slumber parties were for younger girls, not first time high school juniors.  

"First time high school juniors" is such a great description. These chuckleheads started out in the same class as me, so I weirdly took it personally when they reconned S1 as sophomore year. Boo! Class of 92 rules! 

I would feel essentially the same way, when the cast of the O.C. were retconned from being juniors in season 1 to being juniors again in season 2, bumping them from my class (the class of 2005) to the "Get down with the '06 mix" class. (Yeah, them being sophomores that first season is just ridiculous, given that everybody could drive WELL before class actually started, Marissa had already turned 16, and that Luke was apparently hazing the freshmen on the water polo team.)

Gossip Girl and Veronica Mars have to be the only teen shows I can remember where they only kept the class in high school for two years and hit college by season 3. (Well, you could have added the Carrie Diaries if the show had made a season 3.)

In any event, I always liked the Slumber Party. Shame the music soundtrack got butchered.

I rewatched this episode today because it was on Pop last week and I recorded it.  I am an unabashed Brenda/Dylan shipper, but I have to wonder...do you think Kelly cheating with Dylan was Brenda's karma for cheating with her BFF's boyfriend from Minneapolis?  Brenda was so matter of fact about, "I know why I did it.  I wanted to break them up."  Then she flies off the handle at Kelly when she says she tried to get a date with Dylan after they started dating.  

I still feel Kelly and Dylan were so awful in the way they treated Brenda and lied to her, but sometimes karma is a biatch.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

I rewatched this episode today because it was on Pop last week and I recorded it.  I am an unabashed Brenda/Dylan shipper, but I have to wonder...do you think Kelly cheating with Dylan was Brenda's karma for cheating with her BFF's boyfriend from Minneapolis?  Brenda was so matter of fact about, "I know why I did it.  I wanted to break them up."  Then she flies off the handle at Kelly when she says she tried to get a date with Dylan after they started dating.  

I still feel Kelly and Dylan were so awful in the way they treated Brenda and lied to her, but sometimes karma is a biatch.

I think it was a nice little nugget that Kelly had always pined for Dylan.  She doesn't seem to push it much later on, as she's dating everyone off screen and then has her eyes on Brandon.  

As for Brenda, I think the karma was a bit harsh... she dated Dylan for two years and lost her virginity to him.  That was a way bigger relationship than an 8th grade boyfriend/girlfriend thing.  Remember how upset everyone was at Imily Valentine when she accepted the date with Dylan?  Kelly basically tells her that Dylan is "Brenda's" and that they've been together for a year.  I do think that there is this interesting parallel between Kelly/Brenda and Dylan/Brandon.  Both seem to have these rivals/best friends that touch on nerves and make one person feel inadequate.  

• Love 3

Yeah i think what Kelly did to Brenda was really bad because they did date for a couple of years and she knew what they had together .. but what made me despise her even more was how self righteous Kelly was about the whole thing . She made it seem like these things just happen , as if she didn't actively go after Dylan while Brenda was away . And it almost seemed like she was angry at Brenda for still being in the picture when she got back from Paris . And then the way her and Dylan decide to tell Brenda is by blindsiding her And ganging up against her .. I absolutely loved when Dylan found out about Brandon and Kelly . Now that was karma . I also loved every point on in the series that Kelly got screwed over because she deserved every second of it . 

• Love 5
On 8/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, smiley13 said:

It was well established early on that Kelly had liked Dylan for a long time.  Bring them together later made prefect sense.

Yeah but didn't they say Dylan denied her a bunch of times and was not interested in her ? I guess things change but the feeling definitely was not always mutual . 

On 6/18/2017 at 9:04 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Gossip Girl and Veronica Mars have to be the only teen shows I can remember where they only kept the class in high school for two years and hit college by season 3.

True but I was truly maddened by the timeline on Gossip Girl. When the show starts Serena is returning after being gone for ALL of sophomore year at some boarding school. Which means all the flashbacks to her "wild party days" happened when she was like 13 and 14 years old. I know it's Manhattan but COME ON. 

Slumber Party is my all-time favorite episode, to be honest. I loved it. Truly the only time on the whole show (with the possible exception of sneaking into the hotel looking for Color Me Badd) that "the gang" actually acted like teenagers. Plus early years "troubled, kind of bitchy" Kelly is the best Kelly. "Sainted, Judgmental Shrew" Kelly is the utter worst.

• Love 7
On 8/31/2018 at 11:24 AM, Tooch said:

Slumber Party is my all-time favorite episode, to be honest. I loved it. Truly the only time on the whole show (with the possible exception of sneaking into the hotel looking for Color Me Badd) that "the gang" actually acted like teenagers. Plus early years "troubled, kind of bitchy" Kelly is the best Kelly. "Sainted, Judgmental Shrew" Kelly is the utter worst.

Same! Even some of the dumber episodes like the camping trip in high school or the Real World episode in college, I love the episodes when they get to actually act like kids and do goofy things as a group

• Love 3
On 8/31/2018 at 11:24 AM, Tooch said:

True but I was truly maddened by the timeline on Gossip Girl. When the show starts Serena is returning after being gone for ALL of sophomore year at some boarding school. Which means all the flashbacks to her "wild party days" happened when she was like 13 and 14 years old. I know it's Manhattan but COME ON. 

Sophomores are 15 or 16 years old, so I could buy it.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Sophomores are 15 or 16 years old, so I could buy it.

I think hard partying sophomores- yes... but having done it around 8th or 9th grade- not really.  Even the most mature girls in my school who were having sex around age 13 weren't hard partiers who were in "the scene" (like Dylan).  This is some Drew Barrymore level stuff that Serena and Dylan did (didn't Serena think she killed someone when she was having a 3 some or something?)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I think hard partying sophomores- yes... but having done it around 8th or 9th grade- not really.  Even the most mature girls in my school who were having sex around age 13 weren't hard partiers who were in "the scene" (like Dylan).  This is some Drew Barrymore level stuff that Serena and Dylan did (didn't Serena think she killed someone when she was having a 3 some or something?)

I went to high school parties when I was in 7th and 8th grade but they weren't really wild and crazy. Maybe wine coolers were consumed but that's about it. I think when you live in a big city and have lots of money and negligent parents it's probably easier to get pulled into a really crazy, out of control party lifestyle at any age. I really doubt Dylan got so far into "the scene" though that he knew who was dealing what drugs at what strip clubs.

• Love 3
On 8/30/2018 at 1:21 PM, Jaclyn88 said:
On 8/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, smiley13 said:

It was well established early on that Kelly had liked Dylan for a long time.  Bring them together later made prefect sense.

Yeah but didn't they say Dylan denied her a bunch of times and was not interested in her ? I guess things change but the feeling definitely was not always mutual . 

She said she tried to get a date with him. It is never discussed as to how or why it didn't happen, but him turning down one date with his girlfriend's bestie isn't equivocal to him not liking Kelly. I always figured that Dylan decided to avoid Kelly and her crew after he went into AA.  It was well established they'd run in the same circles and been friends. 

And I figured Dylan would have considered Kelly's advances a setup. If he'd said yes, would she run and tell Brenda? Like maybe he thought she was testing his loyalty or something. Because Brenda barely gets in the van to LAX before he's glued to Kelly like white on rice.

• Love 2

I have this recollection of Andrea awkwardly entering the room at the slumber party and exclaiming "what-are-you-eatin!" in such a horrifically dorky way that I remember rewinding my VHS recording and playing it back like did that just happen. Am I the only one who remembers this?

On 12/10/2018 at 6:34 PM, thesupremediva1 said:

Because Brenda barely gets in the van to LAX before he's glued to Kelly like white on rice.

Ha! Especially fitting since Kelly wear that epic white outfit when she came to his cabana (?) and closed the door behind her :o

Re: Dylan's not liking Kelly early on, I think one of the big things with them in the summer eps and then S3 was that Dylan started seeing Kelly's depth and vulnerability, and that she was also troubled, not just some shallow Plastic, before the Plastics existed. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Judi Sunshine said:

Re: Dylan's not liking Kelly early on, I think one of the big things with them in the summer eps and then S3 was that Dylan started seeing Kelly's depth and vulnerability, and that she was also troubled, not just some shallow Plastic, before the Plastics existed. 

That’s what I thought too. Also, Kelly tried to hook up with Dylan way before Brenda showed up in Beverly Hills but he wasn’t interested. 

• Love 1

I wish Amanda had been more then a 1 time character because the show in season 1 needed someone with fire.

Brenda showed hints of it when she would step up to Amanda, but otherwise.. everyone else was just too goody goody

On 4/4/2022 at 5:26 PM, RedDelicious said:

I have this recollection of Andrea awkwardly entering the room at the slumber party and exclaiming "what-are-you-eatin!" in such a horrifically dorky way that I remember rewinding my VHS recording and playing it back like did that just happen. Am I the only one who remembers this?

that was when jim , cindy , brenda and brandon were talking about colleges and eating ice cream / I think

• Like 1