Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Bastet

Continuity Errors: Starts With the House Layout and Just Gets Worse

I don't know if this counts as a continuity error. But I noticed that when Stan is talking to his psychiatrist about his obsessive need to make things right with Dorothy (which is revealed to really be about Sophia), he casually mentions that his mother never loved him.

That certainly doesn't track with the flashback to his mother, who made a big show of how much she worshipped him. So far as Stan knew, his mother thought he was a saint.

i guess we can fan-wank that at some point, he figured out that she really considered him a yutz?

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Just caught the pilot episode, and Dorothy referred to Stan as 'a 65-year-old man with gout'. Aren't they supposed to be the same age? That would have made Dorothy 65 when the show started, which is highly unlikely. It also means Sophia had her when she was 15, because she's 80! And Dorothy also says she was married 38 years, which would mean they would have been broken up almost a decade by the time of the pilot. 

When the show became a hit, all this stuff evolved over the seven seasons. And, of course, they had no way of knowing that us fans would be here picking it all apart going on 40 years later!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Just caught the pilot episode, and Dorothy referred to Stan as 'a 65-year-old man with gout'. Aren't they supposed to be the same age? That would have made Dorothy 65 when the show started, which is highly unlikely. It also means Sophia had her when she was 15, because she's 80! And Dorothy also says she was married 38 years, which would mean they would have been broken up almost a decade by the time of the pilot. 

When the show became a hit, all this stuff evolved over the seven seasons. And, of course, they had no way of knowing that us fans would be here picking it all apart going on 40 years later!

That tracks with a theory I've read here (sorry, but I can't remember who came up with it) that the writers considered Dorothy and Rose to be in their sixties in the very early episodes - and then somewhere during the first season, the writers lowered their ages to mid-fifties.

• Like 2

Yes, ages shift a lot.  For instance, in the Mrs. George Deveraux episode, Dorothy says very specifically, "I'm a woman in her 50s."  Drive you crazy trying to keep track of ages, whether it's the kids or the "girls."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DXD526 said:

and Dorothy also says she was married 38 years

Well and since we know she got pregnant in High School, that would make her in her mid-fifties when they got divorced.  In the episode for Kate's wedding, Dorothy is still pretty raw from the divorce, so I assumed she was in her mid to late fifties.   In a later season, when Sofia says she didn't want to tell her about something intimate between her and Sal, Dorothy exclaims "Ma, I'm 60 years old! You can tell me!".  So it seemed appropriate.

5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Well and since we know she got pregnant in High School, that would make her in her mid-fifties when they got divorced.  In the episode for Kate's wedding, Dorothy is still pretty raw from the divorce, so I assumed she was in her mid to late fifties.   In a later season, when Sofia says she didn't want to tell her about something intimate between her and Sal, Dorothy exclaims "Ma, I'm 60 years old! You can tell me!".  So it seemed appropriate.

When Stan first appeared it had been two years since he left her. So she had married about 40 years earlier. So 57-58 would be an approximate age. But later in the series she says she’s 55, which would be impossible. But by then she’s saying she slept with Stan because he said he was being shipped to Korea which would be 1950 or later. So there goes those 38 years of marriage. 

Charlie being old enough to buy war bonds for him and Rose in 1942 and going off to fight in Normandy around 1944 also make Rose seem older than she claims. (I know Buddy lied about being friends but he must have had the basic details right to fool Rose). Charlie must have been at least 18 in 1944 and Rose was a year younger, making Rose also about 58 when the show started. But something makes me think she claims to be 55 in season 1. 

None of it makes sense and that’s before you even bring in the kid’s ages. 

• Like 2

I guess we should be thankful writers never got into how old Blanche was when she and George got married and the ages and order of their kids.

• Laugh 3

I caught the Mother's Day flashback episode they other day, where each of the girls recall a past mother's day story.  In the one Sophia tells about getting the grandmother to move in with them, I noticed that it's the same old Brooklyn apartment set but they doorway opens to the outside, with trees and plants visible, but in other episodes the door open into an apartment hallway.  I assume they did it in order to accommodate the wheelchair, but it's still rather annoying.

• Like 2

I've also noticed that the entry door in the NY apartment changes.  In the Mother's Day episode it's in one spot and the door off the living room is the kitchen where Sal is putting on a shirt with sleeves.  In the episode where Dorothy announces she's pregnant, she and Stan come in that door and the young guy who asked her out leaves by the same door, so it's obviously not the kitchen then.  In Clinton Avenue Memories, Sophia and Dorothy are clearly standing in a hallway.

• Like 2

Maybe they moved apartments.