Type keyword(s) to search

Continuity Errors: Starts With the House Layout and Just Gets Worse

• Start Topic

Yet when Blanche goes on a diet to fit into her wedding dress one of her sensible meals is eating a tuna quiche that Rose ate.

That example could just be Blanche eating something she doesn't necessarily like, but suffers through it since its healthy and she wants to lose weight.

Rose yells at Blanche that she's tired of making her tuna sandwiches with the crust cut off

Maybe she learned to like it after the diet? ;)

• Love 1

The episode where they all attend the high school reunion and pretend to be Susan Anton, Kim Fung-Toi, & Cindy Lou Peoples. How do the people at the reunion that the girls communicated with not notice a difference until Dorothy is crowned queen? Especially for Blanche when the guy asks does "Susan" ever think about their baby. You mean to tell me this guy doesn't recognize the face of the woman who let grandparents raise the baby and says much for him when he let the grandparents raise the baby instead of him being a single father. The other guy who says he still doesn't like girls and still dislikes "Susan". Rose was not passable as an Asian. As far as Sophia playing Mrs. Gonzalez who knows lol. 

I mean I would find it odd that Susan & Cindy Lou's friends during high school years didn't keep in touch or something. 

• Love 1

A contradiction I noticed - in the episode I saw today which was the one where Dorothy's daughter Kate is having problems with Dennis and Blanche and Rose are watching the I Love Lucy marathon - Rose mentions Charlie didn't want to buy a TV set and was so cheap he could squeeze a nickel till the buffalo pooped. Yet in the episode where Rose's daughter comes to visit and discusses Rose's will, it's mentioned that Charlie was a lousy money manager and left her with very little. Makes no sense!

It wasn't just about managing the money (if that was even mentioned as one of his problems; I only remember it as one of Rose's faux reasons when she was pretending it was her fault), it was the fact he didn't bring very much in to begin with.  Rose led them to believe he was a big success in business, but he wasn't.  So if he wasn't a very successful salesman and thus wasn't bringing in good money for someone with that many mouths to feed, they'd have to squeeze those nickles pretty hard to take care of the family. 

When the girls fire Maguerite for being a bad housekeeper, Dorothy is in the backyard grilling, yet there was no steam, no sizzling and that meat looked hard as hell. 

When Sophia said Sal's name she would say Salvador and to me I always thought she meant to say Salvatore since Salvatore is the Italian version of that name and Salvador is more Portuguese/Spanish version of the name.

This is not an inconsistency but Rose was sort of shocked about hearing about women shaving above the knee. So could we assume that Rose didn't shave her pubic area? She possibly had hairy armpits as well. 

During the Trudy episode, Dorothy hosted a high school reunion party. Why wasn't Stan there? Why was the high school reunion thrown in Miami, Dorothy went to high school in Brooklyn.

Didn't anyone find it odd that when Dorothy was fancying up Rose's resume for hospital administrator, Dorothy was doing it in pencil and to top it off it doesn't even look like Dorothy was writing it neatly, she was writing really fast. Now I was born in the 80's so don't know how resumes were handled back then but didn't businesses prefer resumes to be typed? If I was Rose I would have snatched my resume right out of her hands.

Didn't anyone find it odd that when Dorothy was fancying up Rose's resume for hospital administrator, Dorothy was doing it in pencil and to top it off it doesn't even look like Dorothy was writing it neatly, she was writing really fast. Now I was born in the 80's so don't know how resumes were handled back then but didn't businesses prefer resumes to be typed?

I assumed that Rose would re-type it with the changes.

This is not an inconsistency but Rose was sort of shocked about hearing about women shaving above the knee. So could we assume that Rose didn't shave her pubic area? She possibly had hairy armpits as well.

I don't think shaving the pubic area was common then.  Shaving the armpits would have been the norm, though.

• Love 1

She was talking specifically about shaving one's legs above the knee, not everything on the body above the knee.  "Never shave above the knee" used to be a thing, yes.

• Love 1

I'm new to this forum so I don't know how to quote. But in regards to the resume that Dorothy crossed out and scribbled all over...not only was Rose's interview at 8:30am leaving her very little time in the morning to retype it (especially after staying up later afterwards eating and talking with the girls), it was for a position that most people need MBA degrees for. A Hospital Administrator is likely a job where you would need some sort of healthcare or management experience...which 6 months of business school in Minnesota wouldn't qualify.

Edited by IamMrsD
  • Love 2

I agree.  No way was Rose qualified to be a hospital administrator.  Of course, she really wasn't qualified, as far as I could tell, to work at a grief center or as an associate producer for a TV show.  She not only didn't go to college, she didn't even graduate from high school (until Dorothy gave her a passing grade for knowing about Eva Braun).

• Love 2

As has been pointed out, though, those aren't actually continuity errors. An example of a continuity error would be Rose claiming to have graduated from high school in an earlier episode, but then claiming she'd never graduated in the episode in which Dorothy was her teacher. 

Rose being unqualified to be a hospital administrator, associate producer, and a grief counselor, is more a flaw in the storytelling. 

• Love 2

In the episode "High Anxiety" when Rose was addicted to painkillers, Blanche tells her a story on how she tried quitting sex. Dorothy and Sophia make quips about her falling off the wagon before Blanche starts her story. When Blanche said she gave it up and quit cold turkey, Rose asks Blanche "Did it work?" Really Rose? All the men Blanche had rolling up and in that house and she asks like Blanche stopped having sex.

And some of the bedrooms also clash, location-wise, with other rooms (see Sophia's room and the garage).

Where could that bathroom have fit, anyway? We saw plenty of times that the corridor leading to the girls' rooms only had 4 doors anyway. This house was just full of tardises, I'm guessing...

All of the bedrooms are large.  And remember the episode when they were remodeling the bathroom?  That was one huge bathroom!

Dorothy and Sophia's room didn't look that big, their rooms were the smallest. Rose had the biggest room while Blanche had the ugliest.

I always wondered though when all 3 ladies moved in were the rooms already furnished or if they moved their own beds and furniture in. I would think that Rose's room was already furnished since Rose and Dorothy had to flip a coin over who got that room. Sophia's had to be furnished because she was at Shady Pines and the place burned down and had to move in ASAP. 

They might not have looked big in comparison Blanche and Rose's rooms, but I'd say they were generously sized. They could also be considered big in relation to the supposed layout of the house...esp when you factor in the location of Dorothy and Sophia's room with the garage! Like I said, that house defied the laws of physics and space...

• Love 1

I'm watching "Isn't it Romantic," with Dorothy's old college roommate Jean coming to visit Miami. Why would Dorothy have had a roommate when she got pregnant in high school? Wouldn't her roommates be Stan and whichever kid was born first (a quibble for another day)? I guess you could fanwank that she had a roommate for a few months in between high school and college? My head hurts.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 3

I'm watching "Isn't it Romantic," with Dorothy's old college roommate Jean coming to visit Miami. Why would Dorothy have had a roommate when she got pregnant in high school? Wouldn't her roommates be Stan and whichever kid was born first (a quibble for another day)? I guess you could fanwank that she had a roommate for a few months in between high school and college? My head hurts.

Do they actually say they were roommates? I thought they were just old college pals.

I don't know if it's a continuity error per se, but I always thought it was weird that Rose wouldn't enjoy going to a thimble museum.  It seems like that'd be right up her alley.

Maybe she disliked it because it wasn't as comprehensive as the one in St. Olaf.

• Love 1

Well, this one obviously didn't have a cow demonstrating to people the best way to use a thimble while sowing, nor was there a herring acting as the tour guide.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 3

The story of the early years of Dorothy and Stan's relationship is a continuity mess. And I'm not even addressing the impossible ages of their kids. In one version, they are high school kids in a crappy apartment who are so broke that Stan's first "job" is giving blood every week. In another version, Stan proposed to Dorothy by putting a diamond ring in a champagne glass. That's pretty flashy for a broke teenager (and this is ignoring the issue of a pregnant woman drinking champagne- they were different times). And in one version the couple honeymooned in the Poconos with Stan's buddies, and in another they honeymooned in Miami and were able to buy some land. Again, that's pretty impressive for people in their situation!

• Love 3

I have a few thoughts about Blanche and her house. Did she own the house or did she still have a mortgage on it. Did she have house insurance which would have covered the robbery and the leaking roof? I know it was the 1980's, but most banks would require a person to have insurance when getting a mortgage loan for a house.

I think she was paying a mortgage but it was considered "her" house. Then, the other girls ended up buying shares in the house so they wouldn't be evicted, so instead of paying rent, they ended up paying the mortgage. So it then became all of their homes. Or something.

In one episode, Blanche talks about that being the house where she raised her children, but in another episode she tells about going downstairs to wake the nanny.  I wondered how her children felt when she gave the other women partial title to her home.  

It's been a while since I saw the last few episodes (and the first ones for that matter) but, if I remember correctly, before Dorothy gets married she says something to the effect of "It's been a great seven years." And, yes, that's how long the show had been running. But when the show first came on, they'd been living together for a few years already but Sophia was just coming to live with them (Shady Pines burned down) and Blanche was on the verge of being married.

I was also confused about the fact that even though each of the ladies was from somewhere else, they all wound up in Miami. It seemed at times that Blanche raised her family there but I could never figure out how Dorothy and Rose came to live there.  Rose and Charlie didn't live in Miami because when the girls mistakenly thought Blanche had slept with Charlie (due to a double exposed photograph from an old camera of Rose's that made it appear Blanche and Charlie were in bed together), they assumed that Blanche met him because he was a traveling salesman who traveled to Miami. So clearly Rose and Charlie still lived in St. Olaf when they were raising their kids.  Also, none of them have children or family who live in Miami (except Sophia). When Dorothy's friend from college came to visit, she had a party and invited people who knew Trudy. So does that mean Dorothy went to college in Florida?  It's all very muddy.

Ah, who cares? I adore this show.

I was also confused about the fact that even though each of the ladies was from somewhere else, they all wound up in Miami. It seemed at times that Blanche raised her family there but I could never figure out how Dorothy and Rose came to live there.  Rose and Charlie didn't live in Miami because when the girls mistakenly thought Blanche had slept with Charlie (due to a double exposed photograph from an old camera of Rose's that made it appear Blanche and Charlie were in bed together), they assumed that Blanche met him because he was a traveling salesman who traveled to Miami. So clearly Rose and Charlie still lived in St. Olaf when they were raising their kids.  Also, none of them have children or family who live in Miami (except Sophia). When Dorothy's friend from college came to visit, she had a party and invited people who knew Trudy. So does that mean Dorothy went to college in Florida?  It's all very muddy.

I think in a flashback episode about birthdays, Rose talked to Charlie's "spirit" to tell him that she was moving to get a fresh start.

What I don't understand is why Sophia's son Phil was buried in Florida.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 1

The back stories of the women - where they lived, when they moved to Miami, how long they were in Miami, etc - is just as error filled as just about anything else.

In one episode, Blanche talks about that being the house where she raised her children, but in another episode she tells about going downstairs to wake the nanny.

The only way that would work is if George and Blanche moved to Miami while the kids were still young. Of course, the move to the Miami house sounds like it would have been one hell of a downgrade lol

"It's been a great seven years."

She might have been referring to the time all four of them lived together, which was 7 years, when Sophia moved in.

When Dorothy's friend from college came to visit, she had a party and invited people who knew Trudy. So does that mean Dorothy went to college in Florida?

A big college with alumni clubs all over the US?

Yeah, even I'm not buying my own excuses lol The Plot Fairy certainly trumped the Continuity Fairy many many times. I guess when they created the show, they never bothered to think about the details when they planned the backstories of each of the women. But...

Amen!

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I noticed one the other day. It was the episode where Miles's daughter Caroline came over to meet Rose, also Blanche leased a car pretending it was for sale so she can meet men. I'm assuming this episode aired before we found out Miles was in Witness Protection for ratting on the Cheese Man. So was his daughter also in WP? If he was in WP she wouldn't know where he was or what his new name was.

Also, in the same episode Rose asks Blanche to deal with the Miles/Caroline situation and Blanche says she will, if Dorothy can deal with the guys who want to buy the car. "Frank and Eddie, flush 'em." She says this and walks towards the garage but ends up outside on the lanai. I always assumed to get to the lanai you walked through the living room. Did she walk through the garage and around the back of the house?!

I still absolutely adore this show, despite all of the crazy errors.

There's a lot of things about Miles that makes the character hard to enjoy when I watch the show. First, the actor already appearing as a man Rose dated previously, the daughter-Witness Protection thing, and plus finding out on The Golden Palace

Spoiler

that he cheated on Rose and was married to someone else.

34 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

There's a lot of things about Miles that makes the character hard to enjoy when I watch the show. First, the actor already appearing as a man Rose dated previously, the daughter-Witness Protection thing, and plus finding out on The Golden Palace

Hide contents

that he cheated on Rose and was married to someone else.

Not quite true regarding the latter.  He wasn't married to someone else at the time he was Rose.  He GOT married after they broke up to the woman he had been cheating with -- and had the nerve to hold the wedding and the reception at the hotel that Rose co-owned with the others (are spoiler tags really necessary? It's been over 20 years since both shows ended).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

That's pretty flashy for a broke teenager (and this is ignoring the issue of a pregnant woman drinking champagne- they were different times).

A pregnant woman can drink a glass of champagne.  Unless the woman already has some larger issue with alcohol, just having a glass or two during pregnancy is not a particularly risky activity. 

• Love 2

I know this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp, but the Girls' finances always bothered me. Blanche gave off the impression she was from old money, yet she had to take in roommates to make ends meet and couldn't afford to have her roof fixed. In a flashback, Rose talks to a dead Charlie and tells him she's selling their farm, but in another episode she fears homelessness when his pension was cut off. If they owned that much land you'd think Rose would've had a halfway decent nest egg from the sale. Dorothy is only substituting, yet when she's offered a cushy gig by a former student, she turns it down because it isn't challenging enough. They have constant money woes but attend endless balls and charity galas in fancy sequined gowns. I know it's a tv show, but the continuity errors just grate.

• Love 10

The finances were always big errors for the show. Blanche comes from a wealthy family as Big Daddy has a lot of money and had that big house that Blanche and Virginia argued in before his funeral. Speaking of that house in an earlier season Big Daddy said he sold Twin Oaks did he buy it back or it could have been a new house he purchased. Anyways it seemed Blanche needed help after George died as she had two roommates prior to Dorothy, Rose, & Sophia moving in. You think Blanche would be set financially because George died and you think that he left Blanche a nice sum of money when he died along with Big Daddy passing away that he would have given Blanche some money as well.

Rose talked about how her & Charlie always were careful with money and didn't spend big, with Charlie not being that great of an insurance salesman. Plus she sold her farm (but knowing Rose she probably didn't sell it at a good price). Rose also hadd trouble in the job department as she lost her job as a grief counselor, she got a job as a waitress at a diner but didn't keep that job long just that one episode, then worked as a grief counselor again then worked for Enrique Moss as an associate producer and then worked at the hospital. Rose was unqualified for all the jobs she had minus the waitress job she had. 

Dorothy I thought suffered the most financially as with her marriage to Stan their finances were up and down with him being a novelty salesman that didn't pan out well for him, she probably didn't get much of anything during the divorce.  She probably had to pay a little bit for Sophia to stay at Shady Pines and possibly paying Sophia's half of the rent and Dorothy was giving Sophia an allowance.

It was just odd though that they had expensive clothing on at times, Dorothy paying $5000 to bail Sophia out of jail instead of going to a bail bondsman, Sophia paid bail to get Dorothy, Blanche, & Rose out of jail (that had to have cost a pretty penny), going to galas and events which cost money, they all brought airline tickets to fly the red eye to be on Grab That Dough, plus Dorothy shelled out $75 so they can sleep in the lobby of the hotel. Sophia & Blanche putting up $1000 each when they were scammed at the mall.

That whole roof business shouldn't have been Dorothy, Rose, or Sophia's worry because that's the reason they paid Blanche rent. In case something like the roof needing to be fixed Blanche would have to take care of it since she was their landlord at the time.

Speaking of Stan during the first season he lived in Maui, so found it odd that he would just pick up everything and move to Miami and live near Dorothy.

• Love 2

I agree about the roof. It wasn't the girls' responsibility because they were tenants not owners, and you'd think Blanche would've been able to get some sort of loan through the bank to cover the costs. 

I can definitely see Dorothy and Stan having no money, because they weren't big earners in the first place and they were raising a family in NYC. 

I think Blanche would've been the type to latch onto another husband quickly after George died, especially if money was an issue, however I get why that didn't happen for purposes of the show. 

Stan moving to Miami was just as odd as Sofia's brother Angelo moving to Miami. Relocating to a foreign country is a pretty big leap to make in your 80s. 

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree about the roof. It wasn't the girls' responsibility because they were tenants not owners, and you'd think Blanche would've been able to get some sort of loan through the bank to cover the costs. 

I can definitely see Dorothy and Stan having no money, because they weren't big earners in the first place and they were raising a family in NYC. 

I think Blanche would've been the type to latch onto another husband quickly after George died, especially if money was an issue, however I get why that didn't happen for purposes of the show. 

Stan moving to Miami was just as odd as Sofia's brother Angelo moving to Miami. Relocating to a foreign country is a pretty big leap to make in your 80s. 

Unless he'd already lived here before, as his and Sophia's sister Angela had before she moved back to Sicily.  She lived in the US for 30 years until her husband died, which is when she moved back to Sicily.

And Dorothy's high school reunion being in Florida as well. 

That one I can almost wave away by saying it was an alumni club of her high school that was meeting in Miami. Almost, in that, how amazing it that so many of her high school classmates ended up in or near Miami for a reunion to take place? ;)

• Love 1

Also the church full of complete strangers at Dorothy and Lucas' wedding. Except for Stan, finally giving her up. And giving her a ride to her wedding in style. Good God that hideous dress.  I adored Stan in the last episode. 

• Love 5

One of the strangest things to me was Phil's funeral being in Florida.  He didn't live there, none of his many children were there.  I can usually suspend reality quite a bit, but that was a real head scratcher.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, camom said:

One of the strangest things to me was Phil's funeral being in Florida.  He didn't live there, none of his many children were there.  I can usually suspend reality quite a bit, but that was a real head scratcher.

Yep!!  And similarly, having all of Big Daddy's worldly possessions shipped to Miami for Blanche to store and sort through.

On 3/6/2017 at 0:12 PM, camom said:

Yes! Didn't Phil and his wife have something like eight children? And none of them are mentioned or appear in any of the scenes? You'd also think Dorothy's two kids would've been at their uncle's funeral as well, along with Gloria.

On 3/6/2017 at 2:18 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

Yep!!  And similarly, having all of Big Daddy's worldly possessions shipped to Miami for Blanche to store and sort through.

I agree. Shipping all that crap from Atlanta to Miami would've made a huge dent in the profits they hoped to make from the sale.