Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
April Bloodgate

Roller Derby

Since roller derby-themed pop culture has come up on the podcast, and according to Tara's Twitter, she's just started playing, I thought now would be a good time to start a thread for roller derby. My thoughts are that we could discuss any of the following:

-WFTDA playoffs, once they get started

-favorite teams/players

-backstories to our derby names/suggest name ideas for newbies/just have fun brainstorming pop culture derby names

-discuss our derby background

-ask for advice/suggestions on things we struggle with

-inform each other of any time we see roller derby come up in pop culture

-provide moral support for Tara (if she reads this)

-and more! hehe

So I'll start. I just joined a recreational league 3 weeks ago. I can scull pretty well, but otherwise I struggle with most everything we do. This is way out of my comfort zone, so I'm excited to be pushing myself. Per my league's rules, I can officially take a derby name after I make it through 2 more months of practice. I have a list of 10 solid, pop culture pun names that I'm thinking through. I'm happy to discuss them with you guys, as long as any other newbies promise not to take one of them until I've official claimed one. I live in Denver and try to attend as many Rocky Mountain Roller Girls bouts as I can. I also support Rose City Rollers, Denver Roller Derby, and Naptown Roller Girls (D2; from my former home--Indianapolis).

• Like 1

I have this question about Roller Derby. Since the only Roller Derby I've ever seen were the gloriously cheesy syndicated shows Rollergames and Rollerjam, which are obviously 100% scripted (plus the Drew Barrymore directed movie), I'm unclear as to how "predetermined" a Roller Derby match would be if I were to go to one near me.  Or are we not supposed to talk about this?

That's a great question. When the group of women in Austin who currently make up the Texas Rollergirls and Texas Roller Derby leagues reignited the sport in 2001, they wanted it to be a serious sport, unlike the staged programs you may have seen on TV in the 80s and 90s. It's no longer scripted or pre-determined whatsoever; it's just like any other amateur sports league. You're most likely to find a women's flat track league competing near you, but depending on where you live, you might be able to find some women's banked track (like in Whip It) or men's games. Happy to answer any other questions you might have. :)

I'm happy to see this thread and congrats to Tara for skating.  I wish I were still young enough and in good enough shape to consider it.  As it stands Mr Rat and I are loyal fans of the Queens of Pain, part of the Gotham Girls league in NYC. 

I fondly remember watching saturday afternoon roller derby  back in 1972  ( when I was 5 ).  Favourite player was  "Skinny Minnie".

We have two women's leagues in Tucson. Both are flat track, but one plays a more violent style called Renegade. Not scripted, but a lot of actual punching. The traditional league, of course, bans fighting. Not a fan of the ridiculous aesthetic of skimpy clothes and suggestive names, but I like the sport itself. 

I remember watching years ago. Joanie Weston was the best IMO.

A while back on the local news there was talk of a new Roller Derby league in Maine. Don't know where. Bangor maybe. Portland?