Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Caged

When Big Jim is captured by Aktaion, the dangerous private corporation that’s descended on Chester’s Mill to harness the Dome’s energy capabilities, he’s forced to manipulate Christine for information about her agenda. Also, when Joe and Norrie question the town’s new rules, they find themselves in a dangerous face-off with the increasingly unstable residents.

Dr. Frank Whaley has satellite video of Christine Price finding the egg.  And also video of Ava and Christine being pulled into the ground followed by an eruption of monarch butterflies.  Followed by clear video of the Dome going up.  They even have video of the mini-dome forming around the egg.  That is some seriously kick-ass satellite tech.

Only problem -- they have shown some people like Big Jim having a house that is across the street from the lake -- except in that overhead view the town ends a long way from the lake.

Big Jim gets a choice -- interrogate Christine in the room, or be injected with alien blood stuff.  Pretty easy choice there.

What the hell was that reflection of Ava ?  It was transparent in parts -- are her clothes also made of magical alien stuff ?  Ava comes clean to Barbie about who she is, and Barbie trusts her because of the time they spent in the Drownsie VR.  Here's my question -- when everyone was in the pods, a year of Drownsie VR went by, but Christine and Ava were in the pods for 3 weeks.  Did they experience 20 years of VR experiences ?  Or were they just in suspension until Drownsie fired up the VR matrix ?

Where is Julia's Prius getting power from ?  And didn't it used to be white in Season 1 ?

What's with the weird whistling by all the Domites at Town Hall ? Because they are going to be waiting to move into the new beds a LOOOONG time.  Julia avoids the mob and goes upstairs to search Christine's office -- and finds a map of the amethysts (maybe ?).  But then she notices that 3 books on the bookshelf have been recently moved and discovers her tape recorder, but hears someone coming and hides in the closet. 

Big Jim and Christine go mano-a-womano in the cages.  Christine acts out various scenarios, but is convinced someone will come for her.  Until the security guard tosses a smoke bomb into the cages.

Fivehead's Mom # 2 is back -- and she has drunk Christine's kool-aid, taking Fivehead away and leaving Joe alone for Junior to deal with.

Barbie seems oblivious while talking to Ava and Junior in Christine's office -- and Barbie heads out to find Christine (while Julia hides in the closet).  Barbie overhears Ava and Junior talk about how they need manipulate Barbie -- and put down Tyler if the x-rays determine his back damage is permanent.  Umm, how are they going to power the x-ray machine -- Julia's car ?

Sam finally appears and he's all weepy from Abby killing herself -- and he reads the pill bottle found beside Abby's that she ODed on oxycodone (prescribed for someone named 'Jessie Gordon').

Joe is forced by Junior and the rest of the Kinship to haul the solar panels that he installed on the house last episode down to in front of town hall -- by himself, and then accidentally knocks all the panels over on their flimsy stands.  Seriously, everyone is just standing around and watching.  Julia stops Junior from abusing Junior, but when she tries to haul Joe out of there, they are restrained and Junior punches Julia in the head knocking her out.

Big Jim wakes up to find Dr. Frank Whaley standing over him with a vial of the cellular essence of what Christine is -- and convinces him to go back into the cages and get more info, but not before Dr. Frank Whaley slugs Big Jim.

Julia wakes up in Christine's office and she has a chat with Junior, but she is unable to escape because of a lackey outside the door (a lackey never previously seen in the entire first two seasons).

Seriously, what's with all the Domites and the whistling ?  Sam shows up at town hall and claims that he is all better to Ava.  The solar panels are now rigged up to power the x-ray machine (I seriously doubt that).   How did Sam determine that Hunter's vertebrae was broken without looking at any film ?  Tyler basically volunteers to kill himself.

Ava basically threatens to kill Julia if she doesn't get with the program and join the kinship.

Chirstine tells Big Jim that she will help him escape after he shows her that he's going to lockpick his way free.

Fivehead and Joe get the drop on the lackey guarding Julia, knock him out and tie him up.  Julia tells them she's going to find Barbie, and that Fivehead and Joe need to save Tyler.

Meanwhile, Barbie and Junior arrive on Bird island, and observe the security guards wandering through the woods.  Barbie kills one security guard -- I'm not liking the new Barbie, that's two guys he's killed in two episodes.  As Barbie and Junior attack the house, Dr. Frank Whaley tries to pull a fast one on Big Jim by keeping him locked up, but Big Jim slices his throat open with the can lid -- Big Jim increases his kill total.  Barbie kills yet another security guard and they save Christine.

Ava tries to kill Tyler with the two needle method -- one to put him asleep and a second to stop his heart -- but midway through the first injection, Fivehead decks Ava and stops her while they escape with Tyler.

Julia and Barbie have issues about Christine -- and Barbie has fully drunk the kool-aid.  I'm just surprised Barbie didn't kill Julia too, he's been so good at it lately.

Christine has big plans for Barbie, and wants Ava to sleep with him soon so they can get that replacement for Christine in motion.  Sam tells Christine about his day, gets a big hug from her and Sam stabs her.  Junior finds stabbed Christine in her office and she tells him to get her to the caves.  Junior puts Christine on the floor near a crystal and a pod forms around her in order to heal her (since we know the pods can do that), but not before Christine tells him to bring Sam to her.  Oh, and she kills a few more amethysts in the process to power the pod - I guess that means there will be even less oxytocin.

Fivehead and Joe are hiding Tyler at the Sweetbriar Rose.  Why not ?

Meanwhile, Barbie is out staring at the moon. Is the implication that the aliens that made the Dome are from the moon ?  Ava approaches but Barbie goes for a walk.

Big Jim confirms to Julia that all the Aktion guys are all dead, but they keep looking for Indy the dog. 

And that's how it ends ?  That was kind of lame.

• Love 7

Ugh, first episode I watch live and I find it to be one of the mainly boring episodes this season.  The only thing I found really entertaining is Big Jim's awesome obsession with Indy.  He really loves that dog more then his own son, which, exactly, makes total sense.  Indy>Junior, any day of the week.

So, for no reason I can figure out, the Chester's Mills drones randomly whistle at certain points, that sound like they're going for a mixture of the themes from The Hunger Games and The X-Files, but really, it's just so lame, I can't even really laugh at it.  All I know is that Chester's Mills citizens are really weak, because Christine keeps on talking about their being resistance, but the only ones that seemed to have given her any problems have been Joe, Norrie, Ava, Sam, and Barbie.  So, a whopping five cocooned folks are strong-willed.  Everyone else?  Pushovers.

Hey, Carolyn is back!  In drone form.  That's good: that way Aisha Hinds doesn't even have to hid how bored she is.  I wish she could join her former TV/Dome wife, Samantha Mathis, on The Strain, which isn't a perfect show, but is high quality television compared to this.

I guess I was suppose to find Jim and Christine head-to-head compelling, but I was just bored since I find Christine to be underwhelming and Dean Norris seemed like he'd rather just play fetch with the dog, then act opposite of Marg.

Of course, Sam stabs Christine, but doesn't actually finish her off.  Damn you, Sam!  Why didn't you go full-Angie on her?  If there was ever a time to do so, this was it!  Now, she'll probably be saved.

The only thing more hilarious then Barbie declaring he needed back-up and it cutting to him and only Junior, was the fact that it actually worked.  Those guards suck if those two knuckleheads got the drop on them.

Really, even if Jim didn't have the can-lid, did Dr. Frank Whaley really think he could stop Jim without any guards?  Jim could probably down him with a smack to the face.  Slitting his throat was only because Jim is a psycho.

So, now Barbie is apparently one "sexing Ava" away from being a full member of Team Christine, so this leaves Joe, Norrie, Sam, Jim, and Julie, as the last hope.  Great.  Who wouldn't put the town's fate in the hands of two teens, two psychos, and a dumbass reporter?  Which means Indy is going have to step it up!

• Love 5
(edited)

Ugh, first episode I watch live and I find it to be one of the mainly boring episodes this season.

It all feels so boring tbh, especially this season: the Aktion/Life Force/Kinship nonsense has been a complete drag.

Of course, Sam stabs Christine, but doesn't actually finish her off.  Damn you, Sam!  Why didn't you go full-Angie on her?  If there was ever a time to do so, this was it!  Now, she'll probably be saved.

He'll axe an innocent girl, but he won't do the same for what's got to be an obvious villain?  Just dragging this plot out.

Who wouldn't put the town's fate in the hands of two teens, two psychos, and a dumbass reporter?

It's easier to find out who isn't a dumbass than the opposite.

Edited by Free

Oh, show. You really should't bring up "played out cliches" right before your evil alien character utters the phrase "we mean no harm," in an episode that has another character use "avoid like the plague." Actually, you probably don't want to prompt viewers to think about what is and isn't cliche in this show ever. 

The producers must have recruited this year's writers from a group of preteen fanfic authors.

• Love 2

Thanks for the recap.  Saw the last 10 minutes, that was enough.

Poor Colin Ford, the actor who plays Joe, was begging people to watch the show tonight, on Twitter.  They must all know how badly the show is doing in the ratings, rightfully so. Joe, is actually one of the few characters that has been consistent the entire series, almost everyone flip flops motivations and personalities from episode to episode.

• Love 2

Another awful episode! I had a good laugh over the pod people all standing in the hall and turning around to look at Julie at the same time. Then turning around again in unison. So, why aren't Barbie, Ava and Junior as zombified as the rest. Those in the hall have seem to lost the will to do anything without being given a direct order.

That whistling they were doing reminded me of the Seven Dwarfs as they went to work down in the mines. I expect Snow White to come passing through the town hall any time now. Whose idea was the whistling? Almost as annoying as that one guy who was singing for no reason last episode.

• Love 3

I didn't even get past the previouslies before I started giggling to myself.

When the lead scientist was expositioning about how everything the leader (Christine) does the group will follow my mind automatically went to "Does that include creepy fluid sex with Junior?"

Now to start watching the actual episode. lol

• Love 3

Sean Connery: We named the dog Indiana!  

Where is Indy? That's the character I care most about. I hope he's okay. Everybody else....who cares.  

The poor dog tried to leave the show too.  :(.

• Love 6

The worst thing that happened to this show was it being brought back for a second season--and we know now the Dome cannot begin to support the weight of this third season. It needs to not come back next summer.

We completely forgot this episode was even on last night; sorry, Joe. There's a reason ratings are down. Get your resumes polished up now!

• Love 1

I think there's something terribly wrong with me. I realized last night that this season's plot actually kinda makes sense. I don't mean it's not stupid, because it is. But instead of last season's disaster of the week it seems they've gone with a season long big bad. I grant you it's a  stupid big bad and there's way, way too much Junior.

The other thing is I'm kinda rooting for Big Jim. I assume it's the addition of the Dog but he seems less awful this season.

That's my take so far - this whole season is still stupid but slightly less incoherent and also somehow less awful. It has to be Dog.

Season 4, dog help us, should just revolve around the adventures of Dog.

• Love 4

I think there's something terribly wrong with me. I realized last night that this season's plot actually kinda makes sense. I don't mean it's not stupid, because it is. But instead of last season's disaster of the week it seems they've gone with a season long big bad. I grant you it's a  stupid big bad and there's way, way too much Junior.

That's also what makes it less interesting because you have the show trying to take itself seriously with these lame plots and it's just not working at all.  These types of hate watch trainwrecks can only thrive by being ott crazy and fun.

• Love 1

OMG! JUNIOR DONKEY PUNCHED JULIA !  

It's not possible for me to love this show any more than I do right now. 

I love that the townfolks decided to do the whistling thing on their own.

• Love 1
(edited)
Of course, Sam stabs Christine, but doesn't actually finish her off.  Damn you, Sam!  Why didn't you go full-Angie on her?  If there was ever a time to do so, this was it!  Now, she'll probably be saved.

This!  I mean, Sam only killed Angie like, a week or two ago.  Surely he remembers how to kill someone so they are dead-dead for sure.  What's the world coming to when you can't count on a psycho to go full-on psycho when you need him to?

Regarding Hunter and his paralysis, I guess they don't have enough cave cocoon goo to heal his paralysis?  Or didn't want to use it up on him? 

Didn't that Aktion scientist tell Big Jim they had a cure for the lifeforce parasite?  Shouldn't Jim and Julia be searching that lab for it?  Or for the place where all those Aktion guys got themselves and their equipment into the Dome?  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for them finding the dog first.  But they didn't even mention the cure.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
(edited)

It does make sense.... as long as you don't remember any of the last two seasons.   You know, the two sets of 4 hands, the Monarch when the Monarch meant Angie or Julia, the need for the egg to use Nori's dead Mom to make conversation, the tunnel that led to the park, how every one could handle the intact egg without getting infected as Christine did,the Police Chief dying, etc.  Remember, the dome came down when Christine was infected, and she magically went  underground.... so there wasn't the need for any of the last two seasons abnormalities to take place. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 5
(edited)

It does make sense.... as long as you don't remember any of the last two seasons.   You know, the two sets of 4 hands, the Monarch when the Monarch meant Angie or Julia, the need for the egg to use Nori's dead Mom to make conversation, the tunnel that led to the park, how every one could handle the intact egg without getting infected as Christine did,the Police Chief dying, etc.  Remember, the dome came down when Christine was infected, and she magically went  underground.... so there wasn't the need for any of the last two seasons abnormalities to take place. 

Exactly, we wasted so much time on the 4 hands/monarch butterflies/mini dome/visions/paintings/whatever was up with Barbie's dad/etc. when the show could've skipped to this point entirely and that's assuming none of these plot points this season are dropped for a possible next season and so on.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

Didn't that Aktion scientist tell Big Jim they had a cure for the lifeforce parasite?  Shouldn't Jim and Julia be searching that lab for it?  Or for the place where all those Aktion guys got themselves and their equipment into the Dome?  Don't get me wrong - I'm all for them finding the dog first.  But they didn't even mention the cure.

Or maybe if Jim hadn't killed Dr. Frank Whaley they would have a better chance of getting the cure and the way out of the dome.
  • Love 2
(edited)

Or maybe if Jim hadn't killed Dr. Frank Whaley they would have a better chance of getting the cure and the way out of the dome.

Certainly not the first time, remember last season when he accidentally closed off the tunnel to Zenith.

Edited by Free

I don't want to >fake< spoil the end for everyone, but you realize the dog is the mastermind behind everything, right?

That actually makes the most sense of anything that's going on under the dome. The dog, who somehow seemingly survived the past three weeks, is actually an alien taking canine form that wanted to convince Jim to stop the evil company from harnessing the energy of the dome. Jim doesn't listen to or trust people, but he might react better to the dog. Now that the mission is done, Indy disappeared. And, remember dog spelled backwards is god. So, there it is. 

• Love 3

I will give Sam credit for stabbing that Cougar/Alien Marg. But damn man do the job properly. Sick of everyone doing their best impersonation of Jim Jones disciples. So I guess Ava is anxious to have gooey sexy time with Barbie so he will be totally under control. Beam them all up, except Indy, I will adopt him!

• Love 1

I will give Sam credit for stabbing that Cougar/Alien Marg. But damn man do the job properly. Sick of everyone doing their best impersonation of Jim Jones disciples. So I guess Ava is anxious to have gooey sexy time with Barbie so he will be totally under control. Beam them all up, except Indy, I will adopt him!

He can easily axe an innocent girl, but can't do the same to this alien?

• Love 5

Norrie should have competed in Fight Club. She was kicking serious ass this week.

Dean Norris needs a mustache. Because he is twirling his imaginary one hard.

• Love 1

And, remember dog spelled backwards is god. So, there it is. 

Oh, my gosh, I just realized Dome spelled backwards is emoD.  The whole series makes sense now.

• Love 4

Despite realizing how stupid this show is, i was really hoping this would be the episode that Julia got through to Barbie, so they could reunite in glorious fashion. This two day separation in their three week love affair is just KILLING ME!!

I'm not joking, i can't wait for Barbie to shake off the cocoon funk and get back w/ his one true love! Glad they went the extra mile in making his faux love all evil-ish this week. She was too sympathetic before.

• Love 1

I'm not joking, i can't wait for Barbie to shake off the cocoon funk and get back w/ his one true love!

Well, I am joking!

Prediction:

Barbie will be covered in a glop of goofy goo when suddenly he comes to his senses.

In a slo-mo shot, he will shake off his goofy goo, like a wet dog*.

And, then he will run toward Julia who will be running towards him and they will meet in a hug and she will lift him up and spin him around and someone around them will die.

*not unlike this season's superb cast addition, Indy the Wonder Dog, whom I will assume will give the actor who plays Barbie tips on selling the scene that he's shaking it with the right level of emotion.

• Love 1

*not unlike this season's superb cast addition, Indy the Wonder Dog, whom I will assume will give the actor who plays Barbie tips on selling the scene that he's shaking it with the right level of emotion.

By far the only good thing, from all the awful love triangles subplots, alien/pod people, etc. nonsense going on.

• Love 1

This show has strayed so far from the season one intrigue, but I really do try and go with it. And yet, the writing in each episode is often so lazy that it completely takes me out of the story it's trying to sell, so all I can do is continually question the choices the writers have made.

Case in point: Barbie asks that extra if he's seen Christine, and he tells Barbie that he saw her go on a boat with a couple of guys. How the heck did this guy see this happen, when it's nowhere near the town hall? And even if he did have some explainable reason for being by the water, it must have looked suspicious enough that he'd want to alert the rest of Chester's Mill, especially if they're all zombified in this kinship of Christine's. It would have made much more sense to tell Barbie that he saw Christine get into a car with Julia, and Barbie could have figured it out from there, but this show is constantly sidestepping logic and going directly from Point A to Point C.

Maybe I'm overthinking such a small detail, but it's these little things that the show keeps getting wrong, and they add up and make me question things I'd maybe ignore or accept in a better show.

• Love 6

Maybe I'm overthinking such a small detail, but it's these little things that the show keeps getting wrong, and they add up and make me question things I'd maybe ignore or accept in a better show.

You're not overthinking, the writers didn't put any thought into it at all.

• Love 2

Something I just noticed watching this episode...Ava could be Julia's black twin. They have a striking facial similarity, and very similar hairstyles. If you turned Ava's face white, and hair red, they would look almost the same.

I guess it shows that Barbie has a definite type, just that color doesn't play into that type.

My question is, was it on purpose, or just some subconcious thing with the casting director?

(edited)

I don't want to >fake< spoil the end for everyone, but you realize the dog is the mastermind behind everything, right?

Under The Dog Bowl?!?!

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 1
(edited)

The dumbness under the dome continues....

In a wall full of books, Julia just happens to spot the 3 books with the uneven dust in front of them. 

Why is Norrie apologizing to the idiot for falling off the roof?  He tried to grab her. 

And the usual  ridiculous Joe line of the week....He looked upstairs and said,  "This place could only have so many rooms."   Really. 

How does Barbie sneak up on the guards when there is nothing to hide behind, one can't but help make noise and it's daylight?

Jim roams around the woods in the dark looking for a dog that he met yesterday.  How does he see?  Hey Jim, there are aliens taking over your town, do you think could continue the dog hunt another day.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 2

Jim roams around the woods in the dark looking for a dog that he met yesterday.  How does he see?  Hey Jim, there are aliens taking over your town, do you think could continue the dog hunt another day.

It's a testament to how uninteresting it is, Jim is more concerned with the dog (can't blame him for that given the other characters) than the actual plot/story or anything else.

• Love 1

And the ham of the year award goes to...that Akation doctor's reaction to getting his throat cut.  He acted the hell out of what appeared to be an oversized paper cut :)

• Love 3

Why does Hunter need painkillers if he can't feel his legs? If the fracture is at his 4th cervical vertebra, shouldn't he also not be able to feel his arms?

How did that dormitory get built in half a day? Yesterday Barbie was still discussing the pros and cons of the beam that went down with Pete and Junior. And we know the townsheeple sure as shit weren't helping out, Barbie was busy beating Pete to death, and Junior was...well, I can't remember what Junior was doing, but I'm pretty sure he didn't build that all by himself.

In the space of two days, Sam counseled the townsheeple, developed feelings for, saved, slept with, then failed to save a woman he just met, sobered up, and attempted to murder someone. Whew!

Didn't they have that freeze during which the red shirt wife of one of the (never to be seen again) townsheeple died from hypothermia, and Julia almost died while trapped in the ambulance, less than a week ago in show time? Yet, the woods are lush and everything is verdant and green.

Hunter: how many guards (do you see wandering around aimlessly in the woods?)

Barbie: three or four (but I only checked a 20 degree field of vision, so there could be more to the right or left.) But who cares, I'm gonna kill me some more people!

Norris remembered she has a mother, though, so there's that.

• Love 5
(edited)
Didn't they have that freeze during which the red shirt wife of one of the (never to be seen again) townsheeple died from hypothermia, and Julia almost died while trapped in the ambulance, less than a week ago in show time? Yet, the woods are lush and everything is verdant and green.

That would be yes.  And don't forget the downpour of acid rain that preceded the deep freeze by a few episodes, that should have burnt all the leaves and killed the trees since the ground around the roots would have been soaked with acid rain (it burnt people's skin, so it should have damaged the trees too)..

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

So Sam revenge stabs Christine once in the side and then walks away with her still fully awake and breathing.  Nice way to finish the job.

"Indy, you are the son I never had".

If I want to watch a story about pod people I'll rent Invasion of the Body Snatchers, which does it right.

I understand you now, Big Jim.  Why you sold these people lemons from your car lot, why you manipulated and murdered them.  You are my hero now.

• Love 1

Both versions do it right and both versions don't prolong the agony of the "story".

This show definitely prolongs it, you have characters being 'brainwashed' for at least half the season.

• Love 1

So Sam revenge stabs Christine once in the side and then walks away with her still fully awake and breathing.  Nice way to finish the job.

And he's and EMT! He should know how to get the job done!

• Love 3