Type keyword(s) to search

My Giant Life - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thank you for starting this thread! I love all the ladies, but Hayleigh's dad irritates me and for some reason, her fiance' annoys me as well. Being 5'4" I can't imagine the struggles they must endure, even when just shopping.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show, but I wonder how much of it is real. I'm sure they have to stage stuff, asking Hayleigh's dad for permission, the blind date where the guy walked away, anytime a group of people get together in a bar it looks fake. And yeah, Hayleigh's dad--what an ass.

• Love 3

Was half watching when hubby walked by. His words "what the hell is with the camera angles and the tiny chairs?"

Totally agree!  I said to my dh  'why in hell is she sitting in that little bitty chair like that ? '

• Love 3

The filming in the confessionals is like Snow White, trying to fit into a tiny house built for people half her size. And then set the camera on the floor so that the women look enormously out of scale. Or maybe they're just using Tom Cruise's movie sets. Ba-dum, dum.

I liked two of the women (don't know their names yet), but I found the online dater kind of unpleasant. As in, she was using her tallness to explain why guys weren't interested, but I thought it might be her personality. Have to watch a bit more.

My husband's family is tallish (5'8"+) and they mock my 5'4" self, but I love my height. I fit everywhere, can always find clothes, and short people live longer. :)

• Love 1

I found the online dater kind of unpleasant. As in, she was using her tallness to explain why guys weren't interested, but I thought it might be her personality.

Yes! She just didn't seem like a very nice person to me.

And I just cannot stand Hayleigh's dad.  What a dick.  

Hate the camera manipulation and constant shots of people pointing and staring.  I know it's done for effect, but it is totally unnecessary.  

Being on the other end of the scale I do find this show to be interesting.  I do feel for the high school basketball player.  She just wants to be like everyone else.

• Love 2

It seems from the preview for next week's episode, high school tall girl will get asked to the prom. Either this is a producer manipulation or kids are very progressive where she lives, if she went to high school in So Cal, no way would she be asked to prom. That's just how it is. You have to be perfect to get any kind of date in high school here, sad to say.

I was  excited to watch this show, being a tall girl myself (6' 2"), but I was very put-off by the way they put those girls on teeny-tiny stools, surrounded by tiny furniture, and seemed to film them from the floor, making them look huge and out of proportion.  Is that necessary? The camera angles were distracting.  Now that I'm older, I finally embrace my height, and even have people comment on how I'm "so nice and tall", but something rubbed me wrong about how the show portrays these girls.  I get what they're trying to do, but they seem to want to make these girls out to be a freak-show, and that doesn't set right with me. Also, I agree that the scene with the "most popular boy in school" asking the tall girl to prom was totally staged.  Back in high school, no guy wanted to date me simply because I was taller than them.  Fast-forward to my adult life, I got a lot of attention from guys, and ended up marrying a great guy the same height as me.  I do relate to the struggles on airplanes, finding clothes that fit, etc.  I just wish the show would be more realistic and not feel the need to portray these girls as ginormous freaks :( But I guess that's what gets the ratings.

• Love 8

When Coco decided it might be a good idea to have a meeting with a "matchmaker," I wonder how long it took TLC to find one that was 4'11"?  Talk about totally staged!  I kept looking at the 2 of them walking along the beach, thinking, OMG, there's no way that girl is even 5 ft. tall.  Of course, shortly thereafter they gave her height.  I doubt this show will make it past the summer season. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I am 5'11" so I am somewhat Amazonian, but not to this degree. The most baffling thing to me is that some of these women (and their families) truly expect to find and marry men who are taller than they are. Or that they make a big deal out of a guy being shorter. The teen girl, "I like this guy...but he's shorter than me!" I'm like "no shit, you're in HIGH SCHOOL. Unless you live in Chicago or LA and go to a school of 5000 kids, even the center on the basketball team is shorter than you." Women that tall NEED to understand that their dating pool MUST include shorter men, if not legit short men. The girl engaged to the 5'8" guy is most realistic. Short men often go for tall women...I dated 5'6" guys in college. Haleigh's dad was unnecessarily douchey to Brian and clearly has zero respect for him, just because he's short. Haleigh needs to tell her dad off, seriously.

Also, cannot believe the tall teen girl will actually pose for pictures with strangers, just because they ask. She says she hates taking the pics, but why does she pose with them? Just keep walking. The good thing about your height is you can intimidate people into leaving you alone.

Oh, and watching Coco go on her online dates is painful. She doesn't say how tall she is on her profile?! HUGE mistake, pun intended. Then she acts all competitive and masculine, and emasculates her date and is generally unpleasant. Ugh. No wonder she's single. "I just naturally talk trash in a competitive situation." Well, maybe you shouldn't go on first dates that involve competing, then, because you come across terribly.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 6

I had to forward past the scenes with Haley's parents and their stank face during the wedding planning. Is there something they aren't showing us? Is th fiance a douche? Cause lets be honest, anyone facing physical challenges can have a hard time finding love in this world. Why are they so angry that a man loves their daughter?

• Love 4
(edited)

Lindsay: She is the one who is traveling to meet her father, whom she hasn't seen since she was 11 yrs old. Yes, I did expect her to be the last one on the plane and my dh said "they'll probably show her squeezing into the JOHN"  BINGO!

I want to know why she didn't reserve a SUV when she was making her travel plans ?   Of course she arrives at the car rental place and they give her the smallest car on the lot. 

Anyone surprised ?

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 4

Just when I thought I couldn't despise Hayleigh's dad any more, he comes out with the condition that if they are AT THE ALTAR and he decides he doesn't want her to go through with it, she has to turn around and go home????  WTF???

Just because her fiance is short?  She is still going to play pro volleyball.  She is still continuing with grad school.  She has proven that she is a responsible adult.  She is over 21.  Time to butt out, dad.  If he is so concerned, then call their bluff by refusing to pay for the wedding.  If they really want to get married they can do it on a smaller scale ( no pun intended) and leave dad out of it.

There were ads for another little people show coming back in 3 weeks in that time slot so I think this show only has 2 episodes to go.  Will it come back?  Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Love 5

Any tall women here should go to the Netherlands, the tallest country in the world. Average American man and woman are 5'9" and 5'4" but there it is 6' and 5'7". And many Dutch people are way taller than that. I assume the clothes sold there are proportionate. Their bicycles are enormous!

I wish shows like this would be more real and less sensationalistic. The concept of extremely tall people, esp women, and their day to day challenges is interesting enough. They don't have to muck it up with fake drama. I know, this is TLC, the National Enquirer of cable TV.

• Love 1
(edited)

Dear Haleigh (sp?)  ... If you are 6'6" and your fiancee is 5'7", that's an 11 inch difference, not the 9 inch difference that you stated..

Dear Coco ...  you have no right to complain that people in online dating sites aren't honest when your purposely withhold her height.  You seem to expect that people should just meet you and deal with it.  That's not realistic. Height is always a factor in choosing a mate when you are at one or the other end of the height spectrum.  You also might want to tone down the trash talking when engaging in sports on a first date. That's not a way to endear yourself on a first date. It doesn't matter if it's the man or the woman doing the talking.

Dear Show ... stop with the fakery already.  Nancy's set-up prom date with the gay kid.  Weird camera angles meant to make the giants look even gianter.  No one's buying it.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 8

Thank you! I thought I was seeing things! That kid was indeed gay, right? Does she really have a crush on a gay kid or did she just tell producers the name of some kid so they could trump up some storylines.

Thank you! I thought I was seeing things! That kid was indeed gay, right? Does she really have a crush on a gay kid or did she just tell producers the name of some kid so they could trump up some storylines.

I think many of us can relate to having teen crushes on what later turned out to be the gay kids. When I think back to the group I went to senior prom with… Seriously, 1/2 the people in our limo turned out to be gay, and I only suspected one at the time. That said, a lot of this show seems set up so I wouldn't be surprised if Nancy and the kid were in on it.

• Love 1

The girl who wanted to find her father (I don't remember her name) said more than once that he was only 30 - 40 minutes away.  Why, then, did she have to fly to meet him?  Am I misssing something?  Also, I didn't see any indication that Nancy's prom date was gay.

(edited)

The girl who wanted to find her father (I don't remember her name) said more than once that he was only 30 - 40 minutes away.  Why, then, did she have to fly to meet him?  Am I misssing something?  Also, I didn't see any indication that Nancy's prom date was gay.

Thank you! I knew that I heard her say that he was only 30 mins away. I asked my dh why was she flying ?  I guess they wanted to film a flying scene.

I was confused why remotecontrolfreak said he was gay?  I was just going to wait and see how many people agreed just to agree.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 1

I was recently contacted by a producer for the show to see if I would be interested in talking to him. I'm not quite as tall as the women on the show, but maybe I'm tall enough that if I had an interesting enough story (like if I were dating a little person and pregnant with quadruplets?) I would fit in on the show. The freak show feeling to this show--those camera angles!--really bothers me, though, so even if I were interesting enough for tv (I'm not), or wanted to be on tv at all (I don't), I wouldn't be interested.

I don't know if it will happen, but it does seem though that they're looking to make another season of this show. They're looking for men too this time.

Also, cannot believe the tall teen girl will actually pose for pictures with strangers, just because they ask. She says she hates taking the pics, but why does she pose with them? Just keep walking. The good thing about your height is you can intimidate people into leaving you alone.

I'm the same way. I'm not as tall as her, but I'm tall enough that I get a lot of attention when I'm out in public. I hate it, but I'll pose for photos if asked (Not terribly common for me in the US; when traveling in Asia I literally get people lined up to take pictures with me, but in the US people usually just take pictures without asking--it's pretty obvious, and frustrating.) and answer all kinds of unsolicited questions just because I don't want to seem rude. I don't want to intimidate people! 

• Love 2

@rck--just out of curiosity, how did the producer know to contact you?  I just assumed the participants of any reality show answered some kind of advertisement geared toward the subject matter that's being filmed.

• Love 1

Haleigh's dad does have some valid points about the wedding, but he is such an obnoxious jerk about it that no on is going to listen.  And girl, if you agree that at the last minute your daddy can make you say "I don't" then you're not mature enough to get married.

My favorite is the high school girl.  I think we get the most honesty from her. 

• Love 3

@rck--just out of curiosity, how did the producer know to contact you?  I just assumed the participants of any reality show answered some kind of advertisement geared toward the subject matter that's being filmed.

I was on a tall people forum. That's where I found out about the show for the first time, since they posted their initial casting notices there.

• Love 2

Haleigh's dad does have some valid points about the wedding, but he is such an obnoxious jerk about it that no on is going to listen.  And girl, if you agree that at the last minute your daddy can make you say "I don't" then you're not mature enough to get married.

My favorite is the high school girl.  I think we get the most honesty from her. 

I 100 percent agree with your entire post.

• Love 1

Hayley's man asked for a foot-washing aspect to the wedding ceremony which I found quite interesting. They must be very religious. I was really confused when Hayley said she wouldn't get married if her dad objected on the wedding day...like wtf. That's a shitty thing to agree to even if you're just saying it to appease your dad.  Her dad complained about Hayley not finishing school, but Hayley said her graduate program is online, so what's the real issue? It seems like he's being a dickhead because he's overprotective, not because Brian is a bad person.

Nancy is adorable! I am so glad her crush asked her to prom. Kids can be so cruel and I am just happy she's having relatively normal experiences as a high schooler. I think she will blossom in college. Not sure why some think her date is gay. I am curious as to why she didn't look into having the dress custom-made than going to a store. Maybe prom was right around the corner.

I want to like Colleen. She's a cute woman, but she doesn't come across well. She just seems a little intense on dates. I don't know what to make of her. When she was bowling with that guy she met online and poked fun at how much she was winning, I know the guy's ego took a bit of a hit. Some men don't like that hyper-competitive energy in their girlfriends/wives because they don't find it attractive. Colleen acted like she hanging out with her brother, not a romantic prospect. I also found it a little annoying that she does not put her height in her online dating profile. She complained that men lie on their profiles, but she's lying by omission. Why would you waste your time going out with someone who might turn you down if they think they're too tall? Just eliminate them right away by listing your height. My friend is 6'7 and she used to get asked out often online and in person often. Her husband (who she met at a work conference) is 5'9.

I thought it was unrealistic to show Lindsey shopping at that tiny boutique. I bet she does a majority of her shopping online because there are more choices for tall women. If she does shop in stores, I imagine she goes to a place like Target or Macy's as they have more variety.

• Love 1

Hmm, a little Googling tells me foot washing is all the rage in evangelical weddings these days. Who knew? If these folks are of the evangelical persuasion, it could explain the dad's expectations regarding the boyfriend asking for permission and then expecting the couple to accept his timeline for the wedding. The comment that they aren't able to afford married life gave me pause. Bryan is nine years older than his intended, so what does he do for a living? She'll be contributing whatever she earns from her pro volleyball contract, so if the dad's concern is real, I'm starting to wonder what's up with Bryan, too.

• Love 1

Given how overprotective the dad is, it's possible Brian has a perfectly acceptable career but because the dad doesn't like him, it's not good enough.  I also personally think it sets a bad precedent for the marriage if the bride's father has to choose a wedding date that he likes versus one the couple would prefer because he's not ready for his little girl is ready to leave the home. I don't think a man should have to defer to his father-in-law for such a major decision.

• Love 1

Hayley's man asked for a foot-washing aspect to the wedding ceremony which I found quite interesting. They must be very religious. I was really confused when Hayley said she wouldn't get married if her dad objected on the wedding day...like wtf. That's a shitty thing to agree to even if you're just saying it to appease your dad.  Her dad complained about Hayley not finishing school, but Hayley said her graduate program is online, so what's the real issue? It seems like he's being a dickhead because he's overprotective, not because Brian is a bad person.

Nancy is adorable! I am so glad her crush asked her to prom. Kids can be so cruel and I am just happy she's having relatively normal experiences as a high schooler. I think she will blossom in college. Not sure why some think her date is gay. I am curious as to why she didn't look into having the dress custom-made than going to a store. Maybe prom was right around the corner.

I want to like Colleen. She's a cute woman, but she doesn't come across well. She just seems a little intense on dates. I don't know what to make of her. When she was bowling with that guy she met online and poked fun at how much she was winning, I know the guy's ego took a bit of a hit. Some men don't like that hyper-competitive energy in their girlfriends/wives because they don't find it attractive. Colleen acted like she hanging out with her brother, not a romantic prospect. I also found it a little annoying that she does not put her height in her online dating profile. She complained that men lie on their profiles, but she's lying by omission. Why would you waste your time going out with someone who might turn you down if they think they're too tall? Just eliminate them right away by listing your height. My friend is 6'7 and she used to get asked out often online and in person often. Her husband (who she met at a work conference) is 5'9.

I thought it was unrealistic to show Lindsey shopping at that tiny boutique. I bet she does a majority of her shopping online because there are more choices for tall women. If she does shop in stores, I imagine she goes to a place like Target or Macy's as they have more variety.

I was wondering if any dress that Nancy picks could have some material added to the bottom ?

I was waiting for Colleen to say why the guy wasn't her type. Except for saying she wasn't turned on, we are kind of clueless. I like her but she is a snark queen extraordinaire. Nancy is very nice but her extra long neck freaks me out a bit. It looks so fragile at times.

Sooo, Lindsay is going to meet her dad with bosom out and tattooed belly rolling out. I guess the fried bleached hair, makes the image complete.

• Love 5

Yes, Lindsay is a little rough around the edges isn't she.

I get the feeling that Colleen will complain to anyone who will listen that she can't find a man, but will find fault with any man within a hundred mile radius of her.  I liked her at first, but she is getting on my nerves.

• Love 3

Hayleigh's control freak dad is just ridiculous.  I can understand if he doesn't want her marrying Brian because she's too young, or because of the age difference, but then just say so.  Making cracks about his height is a bit hypocritical given how his own daughter was made to feel when growing up by similar comments.  Dictating when they can marry with some future date TBD is outrageous.  And this crock about invoking God on his behalf to make the final decision on whether Brian can marry Hayleigh is just his way of staying in control of her life.  I hate when people exploit religion like that to justify their own behavior.  Her mom obviously is outwardly friendly to Brian, but you can tell she doesn't want her daughter marrying him either.  I think any guy who wants to marry her needs to man-up and tell her overbearing bully of a dad, "I'm asking for your blessing, but either way we're getting married."

I agree with the above comments about the weird camera angles to make them appear more gigantic.  I noticed that from the start.  Enough already.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time watching and commenting on this show because I most definitely don't think it will last. First of all, the camera angles and forcing the women to perch in the teensy chairs are extremely obnoxious, even by TLC standards. I'm 5'10", but I was taller before I shrank a couple of inches, so I know a thing or two about towering over others. I get that these are women are much taller than most of the people they encounter, but I'm not sure that the premise is meaty enough to build an entire show around their "struggles." Maybe skilled documentary filmmakers could turn this into something worth watching, but this is TLC. Enough said.

Haleigh. Girl, come on. Why does she not tell her dad where to stick his pronouncements? There's something really icky about his passionate objections to his adult daughter's marriage. I mean, really, her dad demands that she leave the wedding if HE gets a weird feeling during the ceremony?! I married a WILDLY unsuitable man (druggie, abusive, refused to work, the list goes on) at 21 and my entire family objected, but they allowed me to make my own mistakes. That's how you deal with adult children. Haleigh's poor husband. What is so wrong with him that I'm not seeing? Nothing except an overbearing, controlling, creepy dad who can't let go of his little girl, I suspect.

The high school girl. I smell a set-up all over this storyline. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if her "prom date" is really a 20-year-old plant from the drama department of a local community college. And not a good one.

The online dater. I'm glad she seems to have found her match tonight, but she needs to tone down the competitiveness a little bit. It's really off-putting. I think the cameramen play visual games with this woman's height more than the others. She looks like a grasshopper in most of her talking-heads. There's no reason to debase these women like this.

And finally, Lindsay. What's with the five inches of cleavage and boobage hanging out of her shirt, the six inches of stomach hanging out of her too-short, ill-fitting pants, and those ubiquitous boots? Talk about an inappropriate outfit to wear to meet your dad and younger brother after 16 years. Is there no such thing as a personal moment anymore? Apparently not, especially if you're appearing on a TLC production.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

I suspect height is being used as an excuse in all these storylines.

Even if all four women were 5'6" and 120 lbs...

- Lindsay would wear ill-fitting clothes.

- Colleen would complain about her dates.

- Hayley's father would be an intrusive control freak.

- Nancy would be a well-rounded girl.

As for the weird camera angles, in the assorted little people shows, do they film from the ceiling aiming the camera down at them? Do they place them on oversized furniture to emphasize their diminutive stature? If not, why make the odd and offensive choice here?

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 8

Do people really use "thot" in real life? When Nancy says it, I shake my head in disappointment.

I can't stand Colleen. She is so annoying and complains way too much. She also looks a little bit like Chelsea Handler.

• Love 3

Finally saw last night’s episode.
1. Why have I never noticed the furniture in Coco’s TH? Because I am always staring at the fact the girl is barefoot and actually has clean feet.  She needs to make up her mind. Does she want a competitive guy? Does she want a guy that’s basically whipped?  I think if the perfect guy came up and bit her in the ass she still will find fault with him.
2. I agree with above posters about Lindsey’s outfit.  You don’t go see your dad and wear what she was wearing.  Also agree with the whole flight and car rental being a TLC set up since Dad was like 30 minutes away.
3. Nancy’s date – total TLC setup.  At least she got a date for prom.
4. Haligeigh . I am not buying the whole evil dad routine.
Man, TLC has made me so jaded.

• Love 5

Well, guess we won't have to bitch about this show much longer.  Next week is the last episode -- hopefully for all time, but the promo says "of the season."  I can't imagine they'll bring it back.  I'm certainly all done with it.  There were only 4 episodes, weren't there? 

• Love 1

Haleigh sounded like Hasslehoff's daughter (can't remember her name) on Rich Kids of Bev Hills, minus the awful vocal fry. Really liked the wedding dress she picked out. Thought it looked great on her.

Shea repeated almost everything he said two times each. I wonder if that's a nervous habit or something. It was kind of endearing.

Why was the ceiling of Nancy's parents car filthy?????

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2

According to the show, she lives in LA and he lives in Sacramento which is about 1 1/2 hours away by plane, 5 hours driving.  In any case, the plane flight seemed like a set up just to show how hard it is to fly when you're 6'9".  It would have been easier to drive or take Amtrak.  Also, almost nobody uses the bathroom on a short flight. That also seemed like a setup to show how small the space is.

• Love 2

I agree with above posters about Lindsey’s outfit.  You don’t go see your dad and wear what she was wearing.

You don't leave your house wearing what she was wearing, IMO.  She looked so trashy.

• Love 4