Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

@ParadoxLost, even though it may be a couple of months before you know how things shake out, consider updating your resume and starting to apply for another position now. It can take much longer than expected to find another position, but doing this early would at least give you some practice in dealing with interview questions and so forth. Plus you might run across a company and potential colleagues who would be a good fit, without the problems in your current company.

If you are burned out, I agree it might be helpful to take a short break, and you shouldn’t worry about explaining that to any potential employers in the future. They will be used to applicants who were out of work for a while, and if you simply want to say that you took a break for personal reasons, that’s generally sufficient. Don’t feel like you have to explain/defend every career and life decision to anyone; decide what’s best for you and act on that decision. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 1

So on one HUGE set up, not due until next spring, the project person is now on my ass to when it'll be reviewed.  I had the Dip review it one time and she had so many questions because we had to add stuff remove stuff, all on the fly.  Literally 50 or more emails on do this do that, etc. 

I'm looking through her notes, to give back to this DA.  Then when I asked about one thing, this guy had said no I don't want that - even though he'd said yes to all.  I got programming involved to remove shit.  

On his email now, the lazy assed Queen Bee responded (this is the chick who takes a 20 minute break roughly every 90 minutes, leaves early, etc).  She worked at our former company, and management loves her - not sure why.  The groups that actually have to work with her do not like her one bit (one told me a total phony and to watch my back).  Yeah, I already figured that out  She's now doing the work of someone who left, and royally fucking that up (person is still with the company and has to hop in and help her - this is 8 weeks out now).  QB responded, oh I've not received it yet to review.  Not that it would matter as she is the worst person to review.  Dip does a more thorough job.  QB is lazy, will push off shit to others, and act like she's all that. She's a pal of our absentee boss, so that is not helping.  I think the project guy and her are old smoking buddies as well.

She'll get the packet tomorrow.  He can bite me as well.  She was to "help" in rewriting some small programs we use.  Not one finger has been lifted, which is just as well  She's never used the stuff.  Her mantra to everything is "well it's not that hard", well until it's wrong and she tries to point fingers.  If the programs are wrong, we're screwed.  I've got a chunk done already, saved on my own locked folder.  I really need to win the lottery - just enough so that I can simply walk out the next time they piss me off so badly.

• Love 2

I don't know if it's off topic to unload here about the churning emotions that I can't let go of, or the images in my brain, after sitting in on a witness interview from a woman who was sexually harassed, stalked, by an employee of our client. Said employee is gone from the company, but I had to proof and finalize not only a memo regarding a second witness, but also one with the summary of our investigation. I won't lie--when we took a break during her interview, I stepped out of the room because I couldn't hold back my tears. Both the partner of my firm and the internal legal counsel for our client were very kind and understanding and assured me there was nothing wrong with what I was feeling or my tears.

There are NOT enough hot showers that I could take could cleanse me of how dirty I felt, and I wasn't even the victim. And no, I'm not going to say alleged, because I'm not a reporter. And the allegations were substantiated by others. My heart just BREAKS for this woman. Up until now, (other than my own experiences), this is the first time I've been "face-to-face" with a victim. I can't even imagine what she is going through.

Just writing this out, helps so I can concentrate on a major brief we need to file today.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Both the partner of my firm and the internal legal counsel for our client were very kind and understanding and assured me there was nothing wrong with what I was feeling or my tears.

I've handled a number of sexual harassment cases, and there's indeed absolutely nothing wrong with your reaction.  Reading a victim's account is hard, and sitting across from someone as she recounts her experience is on another level, especially for women.  

You're going to think about it a lot when it's quiet at home tonight, so I'll be thinking about you - appreciating your compassion and wishing you comfort.

• Love 6

There are NOT enough hot showers that I could take could cleanse me of how dirty I felt, and I wasn't even the victim. And no, I'm not going to say alleged, because I'm not a reporter. And the allegations were substantiated by others. My heart just BREAKS for this woman. Up until now, (other than my own experiences), this is the first time I've been "face-to-face" with a victim. I can't even imagine what she is going through.

You're a good person GHScorpiosRule.  More importantly, you're a human being.  No one can feel comfortable hearing such things done to someone else.  You need to remain strong.  

One of my co-workers came to me with an interesting story and I think laws may have been broken:

He had a complaint and took it to HR.  He felt like he couldn't take it to management directly (and after some of my previous postings, you know why) so he went to her office.  While he's talking to her, she's still typing on her computer.  It turns out she was instant messaging his boss the entire time!! Boss leaves his office to confront him in HR's office across the building!!!  Co-worker gets yelled at and is seriously deflated and naturally distrustful!!  I was shocked as this was a new low for management and even HR.  I gave him the number of my lawyer and even offered to pay for half the consultation fee because this can't be legal, certainly not ethical.   

Edited by magicdog
On 11/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know if it's off topic to unload here about the churning emotions that I can't let go of, or the images in my brain, after sitting in on a witness interview from a woman who was sexually harassed, stalked, by an employee of our client. Said employee is gone from the company, but I had to proof and finalize not only a memo regarding a second witness, but also one with the summary of our investigation. I won't lie--when we took a break during her interview, I stepped out of the room because I couldn't hold back my tears. Both the partner of my firm and the internal legal counsel for our client were very kind and understanding and assured me there was nothing wrong with what I was feeling or my tears.

There are NOT enough hot showers that I could take could cleanse me of how dirty I felt, and I wasn't even the victim. And no, I'm not going to say alleged, because I'm not a reporter. And the allegations were substantiated by others. My heart just BREAKS for this woman. Up until now, (other than my own experiences), this is the first time I've been "face-to-face" with a victim. I can't even imagine what she is going through.

Just writing this out, helps so I can concentrate on a major brief we need to file today.

I hate cry babies and try not to be one despite being a sensitive person. But I would have a very hard time not crying under those circumstances. I’ve also experienced sharing trauma, and feeling a bit weird if someone doesn’t react in a way that shows they understand my pain. Don’t feel bad at all. I think it shows heart that you felt for this woman. Totally human and normal. I too appreciate your compassion and hope you feel better. 

Thanks. She's still on my mind, and it's so much, much worse than what I posted above. I wasn't there for the last hour of the interview, but this has destroyed her marriage. It had been going on for nearly two years, when her estranged husband (who left her over this), was her boyfriend and then fiance at the time.

The jackass who is responsible for this should be in jail. But that's just my personal opinion. It's like a combination of Weinstein and Lauer. And that's all I can say.

Dear Department Head,

When you ask for a status update on a Problem, and the answer you receive is "we have been working on it continuously since being made aware of it, but have not quite fixed it, but are actively trying to do so", replying "please make this a priority item; it needs to be resolved as soon as possible" makes you sound like an asshole who's not listening. How much more priority can it be than "I'm working on it right now". Reminding us it's a problem that we should be fixing will not make it happen faster. You sound like you're just exerting your authority for the hell of it.

• Love 5

Well, I got an hour's worth of OT attending a pointless meeting about security.  We're a gun free zone (even security is unarmed and is cannon fodder should an emergency occur), and those who might want the option to conceal carry (or open carry) can't.  All we did was learn how to run and hide in a building that really has no safe place to go, if heaven forbid, someone decided to shoot up the place.

Funny how the trainer mentioned that the motive for some workplace shooters is bullying;  he asked if any of that occurred there or if we knew what it was.  Everyone NOT management looked at one another.  We know who the bullies are in that office and it isn't us!  

14 hours ago, magicdog said:

and those who might want the option to conceal carry (or open carry) can't. 

Thank god for that. Imagine if the workplace bully was flaunting his sidearm the next time he tried to be a dick to anyone. There's a big difference between a co-worker who's trying to intimidate someone else with their words alone and one who's trying to intimidate someone with their words while stroking the gun attached to their hip. 

17 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Imagine if the workplace bully was flaunting his sidearm the next time he tried to be a dick to anyone. There's a big difference between a co-worker who's trying to intimidate someone else with their words alone and one who's trying to intimidate someone with their words while stroking the gun attached to their hip. 

Imagine if the workplace bully with a gun tried to bully someone who also carried a gun - they cancel each other out.  Sort of like MAD.  I know Bitcheroo would stop her bullying if she thought anyone of her victims were trained in sidearms.  Not that I advocate shooting the boss mind you.

Seriously, people get hurt when places are advertised as "gun free zones".  People with concealed gun permits are well trained and generally quite responsible.  The worse stereotype is thinking they have itchy trigger fingers.  They do not.

• Love 1

I've decided that recruiting agencies/recruiters are like fucking credit bureaus. When your credit score is "excellent" then the world is your oyster, and credit card companies WANT you to have their cards. And just this past year, recruiters who I emailed and attempted to talk to about any job opportunities--full time, as that was my ultimate goal, wouldn't give me the time of day, or would say "nothing is available right now" which was, of course, bullshit. But ever since landing my current job (which is still awesome), I've been getting calls and emails and messages from recruiters who "came across" my resume and are "impressed" with my "excellent legal background" and have the "PERFECT" job opportunity for me. Oh, Really? My legal background was just as excellent last year, two years ago, when I wasn't fully employed at a well-known, good firm, when you dismissed me and said you would "contact me" if opportunities came across your desks.

I don't know what makes them think I'd want to leave when they can SEE where I'm working. But it's all about quotas for them. Maybe they should try and place those candidate who are actively looking. I was fortunate enough to find two good recruiters during the bad years for me. They're no longer in placing paralegals, and I'm proud that I got my current job on my own, without the help of these condescending jerks. 

Yeah, I'm still bitter at the treatment I got from some of these same people who can't seem to recall I reached out to them when I was in desperate need of work--anything--part-time, contract, anything!

I'm trying to figure out how to respond without sounding rude or unprofessional.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm trying to figure out how to respond without sounding rude or unprofessional.

"Thank you for your note, but I'm not looking for other opportunities at this time."

I'm working, but still looking as this is really a temp position. I get all kinds of e-mails for things not remotely close to the work or salary I'm looking for. I love those "I stumbled across your resume..." or "I remembered you had experience in..." e-mails. I really like the ones that say "Company XYZ is interested in you..." and if it wasn't an automated system, I would like to reply "Really? Then why did they reject me for the 12 jobs I've applied for there?"

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

"Thank you for your note, but I'm not looking for other opportunities at this time."

Thanks. 

23 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I'm working, but still looking as this is really a temp position. I get all kinds of e-mails for things not remotely close to the work or salary I'm looking for. I love those "I stumbled across your resume..." or "I remembered you had experience in..." e-mails. I really like the ones that say "Company XYZ is interested in you..." and if it wasn't an automated system, I would like to reply "Really? Then why did they reject me for the 12 jobs I've applied for there?"

THIS! (the bolded). That's the line in each and every email. And from recruiters I worked with in the past--yes, the ones who told me nothing was out there...they hadn't heard back, blah, blah, blah. I want to say, so much, is it the fact that I'm now at my firm that makes me so desirable as a candidate now? And why would I want to leave? Plus that whole tenure thing. How firms want people with good tenure. A little over a year at a firm (even if it's a good one, with a great reputation) is not good tenure.

• Love 5
On 11/13/2019 at 1:36 AM, magicdog said:

Seriously, people get hurt when places are advertised as "gun free zones". 

Do you have statistics that back up this claim? I found this article on WaPo using data from EveryTown that would dispute that claim.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:36 AM, magicdog said:

The worse stereotype is thinking they have itchy trigger fingers.  They do not.

The even worse stereotype is thinking the average citizen who passed a concealed carry test would have the ability (and wits about them with adrenaline pumping) to stop someone intent on slaughtering everyone in their path. Or thinking the police wouldn't consider them a threat and shoot them, too.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:01 AM, Browncoat said:

There are places where you can apply for and receive a concealed carry permit without ever having touched a gun of any variety, much less be well-trained in using it.

That's horrifying.

• Love 7
On 11/13/2019 at 9:09 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I've decided that recruiting agencies/recruiters are like fucking credit bureaus. When your credit score is "excellent" then the world is your oyster, and credit card companies WANT you to have their cards. And just this past year, recruiters who I emailed and attempted to talk to about any job opportunities--full time, as that was my ultimate goal, wouldn't give me the time of day, or would say "nothing is available right now" which was, of course, bullshit. But ever since landing my current job (which is still awesome), I've been getting calls and emails and messages from recruiters who "came across" my resume and are "impressed" with my "excellent legal background" and have the "PERFECT" job opportunity for me. Oh, Really? My legal background was just as excellent last year, two years ago, when I wasn't fully employed at a well-known, good firm, when you dismissed me and said you would "contact me" if opportunities came across your desks.

I don't know what makes them think I'd want to leave when they can SEE where I'm working. But it's all about quotas for them. Maybe they should try and place those candidate who are actively looking. I was fortunate enough to find two good recruiters during the bad years for me. They're no longer in placing paralegals, and I'm proud that I got my current job on my own, without the help of these condescending jerks. 

Yeah, I'm still bitter at the treatment I got from some of these same people who can't seem to recall I reached out to them when I was in desperate need of work--anything--part-time, contract, anything!

Just about every recruiter I've ever encountered has been full of shit. I have applied for numerous jobs at many staffing agencies and heard zilch (and directly called and emailed recruiters), but then I'll get (broadcast/mass) emails from those same recruiters when there is a job opening that even vaguely resembles something I've done in my work. Of course, when I reply...*crickets chirping*

I got a call just Tuesday from a recruiter that is "working on a position that I would be a good fit for". This recruiter works for an agency that sent me on a couple interviews and then... nothing. Turns out (I found out via a LinkedIn search), the recruiter I worked with left the agency in February. So what happened with his cases? Circular file?

I don't even bother responding to 75% of the recruiters that contact me. I used to, but when they say that I'm a "great fit for a financial analyst position" when I have zero experience with that (like, the opposite of it), I ask them to consider me for jobs related to my experience and skills and then I never hear from them again. I just quit putting the energy those kinds of recruiters. If they call with a somewhat-related job, I might engage them. Some of them, though, I wonder if they even read my resume.

• Love 2

Well, this is...something. I got an email from a company with which I maybe applied for a job...?

The email subject is "[Final Attempt] Interview Request | (Company Name)". The originating email is hr@companyname.com, not a person at the company. The email is also full of motion graphics and then the kicker: "We have tried to reach out to you a couple of times via email, and the phone number left on your resume; however, we have not been able to make contact."

Yet...this email came through? No one has called me?

I vaguely recognize the company name. I don't know what the job is, and the email doesn't say it (it says "the position"), but the company does "sales and marketing". It's incredibly vague what they "sell and market". I always look up the company when I apply to a job, but I don't remember this website when I look at it. It's all very weird.

I can't find where I applied for the (mystery) job, but I apply through so many different portals that at least that part is not too alarming.

The "we've been trying to reach you" bit, though. Yeah, no. THAT screams scam.

I'm actually surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. I leave my resume and info public on job sites so that recruiters can contact me, but I use only my name, city, Google phone number (routes to my real phone number), and specific job-searching email (not my main one).

• Love 1

@bilgistic, it sounds like a semi-scam in which the company ultimately wants you to attend some seminar during which they try to convince a roomful of people that they are wonderfully suited to do aggressive sales and marketing, based on their related work experience as warm bodies and interest in absolutely nothing related to sales. 

• Love 7

This is horrifying. I am devastated for these  people who were recruited by Indeed for Hire for a job that didn't exist.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/investigations/the-reveal/phantom-jobs-indeed-investigation/85-c2190120-247e-4919-b701-52af91738d8c

ATLANTA — More than a dozen executives were recruited by one of the largest online hiring sites for top jobs at an Atlanta start-up.

They never got paid.

United Freedom Group of America turned to indeed.com to handle the recruiting for 14 regional vice presidents. Records obtained by The Reveal show the base salary offered to the candidates was $100,000 with bonuses taking the executives to as much as $400,000 in their second year.

18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Well, this is...something. I got an email from a company with which I maybe applied for a job...?

The email subject is "[Final Attempt] Interview Request | (Company Name)". The originating email is hr@companyname.com, not a person at the company. The email is also full of motion graphics and then the kicker: "We have tried to reach out to you a couple of times via email, and the phone number left on your resume; however, we have not been able to make contact."

Yet...this email came through? No one has called me?

I vaguely recognize the company name. I don't know what the job is, and the email doesn't say it (it says "the position"), but the company does "sales and marketing". It's incredibly vague what they "sell and market". I always look up the company when I apply to a job, but I don't remember this website when I look at it. It's all very weird.

I can't find where I applied for the (mystery) job, but I apply through so many different portals that at least that part is not too alarming.

The "we've been trying to reach you" bit, though. Yeah, no. THAT screams scam.

I'm actually surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. I leave my resume and info public on job sites so that recruiters can contact me, but I use only my name, city, Google phone number (routes to my real phone number), and specific job-searching email (not my main one).

I wish I had the words or name where you would have someone look out for your best interests. I was fortunate to have two such recruiters for a long time.

And I would get those same types of emails and had to further filter my profile on Monster to prevent these assholes from emailing me. Like, did they even READ my resume? Where in there did they see “want to work in sales” when it’s CLEAR I’m a paralegal looking to work in/at a firm?🤬🤬🤬🤬

50 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

@bilgistic, it sounds like a semi-scam in which the company ultimately wants you to attend some seminar during which they try to convince a roomful of people that they are wonderfully suited to do aggressive sales and marketing, based on their related work experience as warm bodies and interest in absolutely nothing related to sales. 

EXACTLY. At least on Indeed, I can report them/ask that I not get any such emails. I also went back and made my profile/resume private on Monster, so some of these who just troll won’t be able to pull mine.

4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

This is horrifying. I am devastated for these  people who were recruited by Indeed for Hire for a job that didn't exist.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/investigations/the-reveal/phantom-jobs-indeed-investigation/85-c2190120-247e-4919-b701-52af91738d8c

HOLY SHIT!!! Are there no good job sites any more where one can be sure they won’t get scammed???🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, magicdog said:

That site was founded by a fellow named Lohn Lott who also authored books called, More Guns, Less Crime and The Bias Against Guns. So, I wouldn't consider that as an unbiased source.

Until I see some actual non-partisan research laying out the case why having armed employees makes any workplace safer, I'm still of the belief that having a weaponized workplace makes it a hostile, and potentially deadly, environment. 

2 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Until I see some actual non-partisan research laying out the case why having armed employees makes any workplace safer

As if all the stories of the attacks at known gun free zones wasn't enough.  None of these shootings occurred at places where armed employees are normalized.  

• Love 1

So, I've had a shitty week.  I don't think anyone who doesn't work in my office has had a shittier week than we did.

Things I mentioned that were brewing a page ago happened.  It was bad. Really, really bad. Not full closure bad but definitely a vibe that the only people/teams that are left are the ones identified as too risky to move.  And they made some boneheaded moves, so that is saying something.

My location has definitely started the march along to full closure.  It kind of doesn't really matter if they are intending to keep us open (which they say they have no plans to close us, but who believes them?).  They gutted us to the point there are no opportunities to have career growth without going to another location or leaving the company.  Things are going to switch from a site where people spend significant portions of their careers to one with high turn over.

And frankly, the functions that remain are still there because of the knowledge of a handful of, very visible to company leaders, people/teams who are not easily transferable and they can't afford to piss off (or offer to move and get rejected) right now.  Once a critical mass or even a few key players quit, I bet entire teams will be relocated and built from the ground up in another location and then at some point this will be a skeleton site and close.

So, I'm not on the list of people being asked to leave with a package, which I expected.  But my new boss isn't someone from the trifecta of people I will under no conditions work for, which I didn't expect.

So I'm not quitting right now, but I did find it extremely helpful to lay out conditions under which I stay or go.  I think I'm going to do that again so I don't let myself get sucked into staying beyond when its healthy as stuff deteriorates.  

I'm also going to spend some time while I'm having zero fucks to give about the leadership of my company on how I'm going to change how I deal with them to reduce my future frustration/stress level and try to make things better.  And frankly, I think I'm going to loosen up my filer with them (a lot).  Its always been leaky anyway. No more pussy footing around.  I'm not good at that and it stresses me out.  Trying to play their game didn't save anyone.

I feel really bad for the people that have been at the company for decades but aren't close enough to retire but have skills highly specialized to my company and are facing having to effectively start over.  The rest of us seem to be moving into a stage of gallows humor in terms of who is worse off, those of us staying or those of us going. 

52 minutes ago, magicdog said:

As if all the stories of the attacks at known gun free zones wasn't enough.  None of these shootings occurred at places where armed employees are normalized.  

There are far more places that prohibit guns and weapons than allow. Most workplace shootings aren't random - they are disgruntled employees.

The Walmart in El Paso, TX was an open carry store - yet a domestic terrorist was able to slaughter 22 people.

The Walmart in Southhaven, MS was not a gun free zone and a disgruntled employee murdered two coworkers

Few examples of exist of armed civilians preventing mass shootings

Inside Higher Ed leans barely left of center and has a rating of highly factual reporting -more details on this site here

Notes: Inside Higher Ed is a daily online publication focused on college and university topics, based in Washington, D.C., United States. While most of the reporting is about news within the field of higher education, they do occasionally cover politics with a left of center bias in reporting and affiliation. (D. Van Zandt 2/11/2017)

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 6

Thanks @theredhead77.  Frankly getting laid off now would have been my preference.  Getting laid off would be a financial windfall and I'm not worried about finding something else and my workplace is most likely to careen into intolerable at an accelerated rate.

I'm not giving these people one minute of overtime, but knowing myself once a couple people quit and we have to cover and find people and train new people, the weight of always being behind on work will start eating at me.  

I was fine all weekend, but now I have dread in the pit of my stomach at the idea of going into work tomorrow.

I don't think I want to experience the horrible middle between first layoff and inevitable closing for any amount of money.  I'll likely start looking after the Holidays.

ParadoxLost, I would not wait until after the holidays, I would start looking now. A lot of companies (mine included) are interviewing people now for jobs that will start in January, when next year's budget starts.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, emma675 said:

ParadoxLost, I would not wait until after the holidays, I would start looking now. A lot of companies (mine included) are interviewing people now for jobs that will start in January, when next year's budget starts.

I second this, @ParadoxLost. My first interview for my current company was in November, I got my offer on Dec 23rd to start on Jan 13th. 

• Love 1

Floor plan doesn't really fit our office - it's got open cubes on our side of the building - IT peeps mainly, and some are remote a lot.  But the headphones line got me laughing, as we used to have the phone headphones to be used for endless conference calls.  So many clueless people would come by and then say, oh are you on the phone?  No I'm directly planes on the landing strip, asshat.

I'm sure I'm pissing off the twosome as I've 'had' to work remote more often lately.  Honestly, I really am in the land of I don't give shit.  It's slow-ish right now, so there's no reason to be in the office, just waiting on a random request.  The Queen Bee has taken over some other stuff (supposedly) from another person who got a remote job in another division; QB is away from her desk for a good 30 minutes (or more) at least every 1.5 hours.  She disappears.  One day she had to leave early to pick up a bar receipt for a manager, who'd lost it and thus couldn't turn in his expense account.  The thing is - that place does email receipts (she really thinks we're stupid).  

Today, I'm at home, and the twosome is gone for the day already.  I'm got days off next week, but I will have to login to do some stuff, which I totally do NOT trust them to get done correctly.  Sad.  Then just now, another group sent out congrats to someone who is a hard worker, who got promoted to some manager position.  While they're a hard worker, I honestly do not see them as a manager one bit.  Amazing how some areas have promotions while we're kept as mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed shit.  Time to browse open positions - internal or elsewhere.  Definitely buying a lottery ticket in some little podunk town on my way home over the holidays (always seems like a ticket bought in the sticks seems to win).  I don't need mega bucks, just enough to retire now.   One person saw I had been part of the early retirement email (couldn't do it as no health coverage was offered, so I'd have to get another job), and was like OMG you're not leaving are you?  We'd be sooooo screwed.  Nice to hear that from another department, but that is my dream - come in and say well, I quit - effective today.  Not realistic, but it's a nice dream.

28 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Amazing how some areas have promotions while we're kept as mushrooms, kept in the dark and fed shit.

I feel you there. In my last company I was IT "helpdesk" and we were under the umbrella of the overall IT department (and sat with them) with a different direct manager (who was an abusive POS to me). Anyway, the other half of the IT department received bonuses, promotions and raises. Us? I received less than a dollar an hour in "merit" raises during the 5 years I was there (total).

It's time for you to get out. Go somewhere that will value your knowledge and dedication. I had no idea how good it could be until I took the job at my current company. 

• Love 2

The magnanimous overlords of the grocery chain for which I work have granted us peasants coupons for 10% off one purchase for the holidays. This is on top of a zero discount we get regularly. It took everything I had not to say something to the manager when he handed me the coupon, acting like he deigned to gave me a gold shilling from his sow's ear purse. Fuck outta here with 10% off food I buy from the place I work at. I want a Christmas bonus. M O N E Y. I can't pay the rent with groceries. I'm on fucking food stamps anyway.

I can't pay the rent as it is because they keep cutting my and others' hours while hiring more people. I will never understand the kind of evil it takes to be a middle manager and not give a shit about your employees.

I have the opposite of a rant today. About a month ago my area was informed we would be getting new job titles for various reasons. Having been through this before at a few organizations, I assumed it would be a negative impact, such as lower salary ranges, reduction in bonus, etc. so color me extremely surprised to learn a couple of days ago that along with a new title, I’m getting a 10% raise to my base salary and my bonus % is increasing by 5 points. Maybe the universe is finally balancing things out after the years earlier in my career when I was grossly underpaid. 

• Love 18

@bilgistic I'm sorry that you're still struggling to find full time work. The discount certificate is probably corporate policy, not a decision made by the middle manager or even the store manager. Giving cash (or a bonus in a check) is a payroll nightmare. It all has to be taxed and many companies also have policies forbidding tangible gifts as those also need to be taxed if their value is over a specific amount (typically $25).

https://practice.findlaw.com/human-resources/tax-rules-of-employee-gifts-and-company-parties.html

That said, the tax code allows employers to give "de minimis" gifts -- stuff that's small and inexpensive enough that it would be "unreasonable or administratively impracticable" to expect them to account for it as compensation. So if your employer gives out mugs at Christmas, the IRS isn't going to insist that you send in the monetary equivalent.. Typically, the general cutoff for de minimis gifts is about $25. Cash, however, cannot be a de minimis gift, nor can cash equivalents such as gift cards. Those always count as compensation. Here's a closer look at a few more categories of gifts:

Nontaxable gifts: Fruit baskets, hams, turkeys, wine, flowers and occasional entertainment tickets, such as for a show or sporting event, generally are nontaxable de minimis fringes.

Taxable gifts: Gift certificates (cash in kind) are wages subject to taxes -- even for a de minimis item. For example, a gift certificate for a turkey is taxable, even though the gift of a turkey is not. Cash gifts of any amount are wages subject to all taxes and withholding.

Gifts Under $25: Gifts under $25 are typically tax-exempt.

@BookWoman56 - that's wonderful! Congratulations!

• Love 1

I work for a government agency, and the pay scales are strictly defined and governed.  Asking for raises is fruitless because of that.  Then, today, my boss and the head of HR called me in (that wasn't terrifying in the slightest!) to tell me that I've been approved for a 25% raise!  Effective immediately!  I'm still a little in shock, tbh, but thrilled beyond belief. 

• Love 22

I mentioned months ago that my company is getting rid of the department that I work in, well I actually managed to find a position in a different department that will start in January and comes with a $5,000 increase in salary with retro pay to November.  I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about being laid off, I've been with the company for a long time so the payout from a layoff would potentially be a windfall but only if I immediately got a new job.   I also managed to get a phone interview last Thursday through a recruiter(though I agree with others that I haven't had much luck with recruiters in the past).  The phone interview went okay then I had a Skype interview on Friday with two other people who work remotely.   Next I was asked to create a PowerPoint presentation and a communication package that was due to the recruiter today.   The position would pay significantly more than my new salary and has the potential to be remote or if I had to go into the office the location would be a good commute for me.  If I did get the position I'll have to give notice to my new manager right when I'm starting my new position which would be awkward. 

Edited by partofme
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, partofme said:

If I did get the position I'll have to give notice to my new manager right when I'm starting my new position which would be awkward.

The company that eliminated your position with no guarantee of finding a new position for you will get over it.  It will stink for the new manager, but if he or she doesn’t understand, just another reason you should be happy that day. 
Good luck with the new job either way!!!

• Love 11

Any advice on dealing with a co-worker who is clingy to the point of creepiness?  This woman has latched onto me and it's starting to be really uncomfortable for me and others.  I'm also a woman, just for clarification.  

Without more details, it's hard to say, but I might start with less conversation with her -- as much as that is possible. If she asks questions, give short and to-the-point answers. Don't stop to talk to her and look busy as much as possible when she is in your vicinity. If she wants to go to lunch (or anywhere else with you), make sure other people are always there too. Or make other plans first. Try to walk out of the office with other people. Move fast, as though you are in a hurry. If she asks you to do something, say, "I can't." You don't have to say the reason is that you don't want to.

My job/workplace continues to be awful.

My hours have been cut again--27 this week, down from 30 hours/four days a week. The last week I had five days was the middle of October. I had five days (37.5 hours) for MONTHS, then all of the sudden, I was cut to four. They kept hiring people. I got five days the week of Thanksgiving only because I worked Thanksgiving Day for someone who didn't want to work.

This morning, I went to another store in the chain (said to be needing cashiers) and the manager said he can't use me there. He said he "would have to take hours from other people and wouldn't do that". I thought, WHAT A CONCEPT! YOU SHOULD TELL OUR MANAGERS THAT! One of our cashiers transferred there this week. We have a complete see-you-next-Tuesday of an assistant customer service manager (the FOURTH ACSM in the year I've been there) who, when I asked her why my hours dropped again (she does the schedule), said, "I guess you need to get a second job." Like, no explanation from her or the CSM, who I also asked. It's a MESS. We've also had two store managers and one interim store manager in a year.

I feel like there's some illegality over my anxiety and depression because of all of this, along with the immense financial strain this is triggering my symptoms, so I'm crying at work, having anxiety attacks, etc. The hour cutting is pretty directly linked to my symptoms surfacing, i.e., I voice concerns and become "emotional" and then my hours are cut the next week. This has happened twice. I called HR the first time but my hours were never restored.

Meanwhile, I am extremely dependable. I have had only two callouts in the year I've been employed. I'm always on time and work hard. Most other employees call out every other week. I'm not exaggerating.

I've talked to my department manager and store manager over and over and nothing helps. It's miserable. I'm considering filing an EEOC claim, but I know that's probably unwise while I'm still employed at the company.

I apply to "career" positions almost daily, as I have for the past 16 months. I have applied at other retail establishments within the last few days just so I can try to find some additional income. I had to borrow money from my sister this month so I could pay the rent. My sister was extremely kind and generous, but I felt like such a piece of shit having to ask for financial help.