Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

I'm teaching an enrichment summer school for the next three weeks.  Today was the first day, but we had no direction given to us as to how they wanted attendance taken, nor what they wanted us to do as far as where to pick up the time sheets to get paid.  I've been in my district long enough to know that no directions were going to be forthcoming, so I took the initiative myself with respect to the attendance.  No big deal.  I made a google doc spreadsheet and sent it to the 4 other teachers who are also teaching this week.  A colleague got the time sheets and distributed them to everyone.  Who needs administrators? 

The woman who is doing the Spanish course; however, is somehow brain dead, and is getting on my last nerve. First, she fucks up the attendance, in spite of the directions to create a new sheet in the spreadsheet when inputting your own information. Instead, she erases my class' attendance and puts in her own, and then renames the spreadsheet.  So my attendance was of course, gone. Everyone else did exactly what they were supposed to do without an issue.  I had to go back to a previous version where my attendance was not overwritten, and then send her an email.   Are there really people who don't know how a Google doc spreadsheet works?  Really?   And then she sent no less than 3 reply all emails with ridiculous questions about the time sheets. It's a goddamn time sheet, not rocket science.  She didn't even  have to pick it up because the coworker got one for everyone, and is going to be picking them back up at the end of the week.  Fill it out.  Turn it in.  The end.   

It should be noted that these are AP enrichment courses, so one would expect a modicum of intelligence in someone teaching an advanced course.  Not in her case.  I just don't know how some people function.  Of course, the only reason she is still teaching in my school is because she is screwing an assistant principal, so that pretty much explains it all, doesn't it?  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, janestclair said:

course, the only reason she is still teaching in my school is because she is screwing an assistant principal, so that pretty much explains it all, doesn't it?  

Yes, that would explain it. What ever happened to not fraternizing with your fellow employees?  Especially the assistant principal who is normally seem as having a position of authority. Somewhere down the line things are not going to go well. 

• Love 2
On 6/20/2018 at 1:00 PM, magicdog said:

I think he’s about 3 or 4.  More than likely he repeated what he heard from mommy and daddy as opposed to actually knowing the word.

Ugh. That's like when parents think their kid is a genius because they taught him/her to receive multiplication tables.  Kids can memorize, it doesn't mean they understand.

• Love 3

A month in and I hate feeling like this--like a huge Wylie E. Coyote ACME anvil is going to drop on my head. The lawyer wasn't kidding when he said they do everything in hard copy. The only thing that is on the level of current technology is email and Westlaw. 

I was feeling like a cornered animal last week when the associate found it "concerning" it was taking so long for me to review a box of documents, by the human eye, and which was correspondence and I had to review every single piece. It's not like I'm familiar with the parties, oh, like she is. And I'm human.  And it would have taken half the time if they had an electronic review platform to review them. But he can't afford that, so it's old school. Which is fine, but don't expect me to be superhuman.  Because they've been working on this for over two years.  Me? about four weeks. It's really weird--when we speak face to face, there's no tension or I don't get any kind of feeling that she's (associate) isn't happy. But in email communication? It's like she finds my work very...under par. And that's not the case. nor is that what she tells me.

And it doesn't help that I'm crammed up against the copier with barely any room to move around. 

The case is interesting. And the lawyers are...congenial. But now I'm glad that there isn't an option to become permanent.

Sigh. Back to aggressively applying while working here. And of course, wanting to hear back from the other firm about the next step. I think I'll wait until tomorrow to follow up to see what the next steps are. I mean, the group has 55 attorneys, but when I met with the Director and the liaison last week, the latter told me the next step would be to meet with about four. I guess they're trying to figure out which four? And I won't lie, I'm praying HARD and DESPERATELY every night for something positive.

I know I should be grateful, but at the same time...

And I need to call my former recruiter to see what the protocol is here about letting them know when/if I have interviews or not. I remember a few years ago, when I contracted with a firm who needed a paralegal for an upcoming trial, they knew I was looking for permanent work, and as long as I let them know when the interviews were, they were okay with it. I had only one, and even that wasn't what the recruiter led me to believe it was. Or she was misinformed.  Anyhoo. I need to call her later.

• Love 2

We just had a big storm which brought down a large pine tree on the business property.  It took out two employees' cars!  No, neither car belonged to bitcheroo. 

This is a first since I'd been working there, at worst it was a few small branches and leaves on the ground.  

The rest of the morning newscast was full of the usual idiots who drove into deep water and ignored every orange sign, billboard and PSA that warns about what happens when you drive into it.

• Love 2

Well. @Moose135 was right--I couldn't put it aside. I was stressing over this over the weekend and the past few days--and I'm going to attribute my high sugar (in the 130s) to that, plus my stress headaches and I think I had a fever Friday or maybe it was Saturday night.

Anyhoo, I spoke with my former recruiter--the one that "divorced" me when she left the agency where the lazy ass recruiter took over. And it was a great conversation. And I was going to wait until the end of today to email the firm to ask for an update, as it's been over a week, but I said "fuck it!" I'd rather know right away if they're moving on. I emailed them a few minutes ago, and within two minutes I got a reply about my "impeccable timing." They want to bring me back to meet with the attorneys next week! I asked how long they anticipated I'd meet with them so I could arrange my schedule accordingly. ONCE I have the confirmation, I'll call my agency and let them know that on this day, I'll be out x hours and should I let the attorneys I'm working for know, or will they? Because they, the agency know my goal is to find a full-time job, not to be a contract paralegal forever.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well. @Moose135 was right--I couldn't put it aside. I was stressing over this over the weekend and the past few days--and I'm going to attribute my high sugar (in the 130s) to that, plus my stress headaches and I think I had a fever Friday or maybe it was Saturday night.

Anyhoo, I spoke with my former recruiter--the one that "divorced" me when she left the agency where the lazy ass recruiter took over. And it was a great conversation. And I was going to wait until the end of today to email the firm to ask for an update, as it's been over a week, but I said "fuck it!" I'd rather know right away if they're moving on. I emailed them a few minutes ago, and within two minutes I got a reply about my "impeccable timing." They want to bring me back to meet with the attorneys next week! I asked how long they anticipated I'd meet with them so I could arrange my schedule accordingly. ONCE I have the confirmation, I'll call my agency and let them know that on this day, I'll be out x hours and should I let the attorneys I'm working for know, or will they? Because they, the agency know my goal is to find a full-time job, not to be a contract paralegal forever.

I don’t have an answer to your question but I’m happy for you that you have the interview coming up. Best wishes. 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don’t have an answer to your question but I’m happy for you that you have the interview coming up. Best wishes. 

Typically, if my old recruiter had placed me here at the contract job, she would have made it known, that while I'm committed to helping them, I'll still be interviewing for a full-time job. The recruiter who placed me here is fairly new based on my conversations with her, and is very bad about getting back to me, whether by email or phone. I'll leave it up to them as to how to handle it. Because it could be that even after the interviews next week, that may be it. So it's not as if my having this interview is giving them notice I'm leaving now. Know what I mean? And thanks for the good wishes and keep them coming! It helps that both the Paralegal Director and the liaison I met with last week are also former paralegals and the director went to the same school as I did to get her paralegal degree.

3 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

No snark, you need to be a writer on the side @GHScorpiosRule  Tell your recruiter to start finding you some writing gigs at newspapers/magazines/websites, etc and start writing your life for money. 

Thanks! As it is, it's because of my writing compositions in high school and junior high that led me to majoring in Broadcast Journalism many moons ago, minoring in Criminal Justice. I shoulda flipped 'em because when I graduated, the Simpson/Goldman double murder happened and it sickened me how the "respectable" media handled it and I realized I didn't have the stomach for it. But I have written on the side. Purely fiction, but mining and using what I know and my real life experience incorporated. But nothing published. I may just do that.

• Love 4
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only thing that is on the level of current technology is email and Westlaw. 

So you're saying you've got six shooters, frontier justice, and email,  So like Westworld. :)P

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:52 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was feeling like a cornered animal last week when the associate found it "concerning" it was taking so long for me to review a box of documents, by the human eye, and which was correspondence and I had to review every single piece. It's not like I'm familiar with the parties, oh, like she is. And I'm human. 

And she's an android.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

So you're saying you've got six shooters, frontier justice, and email,  So like Westworld. :)P

Ha! Westlaw is a program we use to do research, look up cases. articles, in all court jurisdictions. Before it and Lexis-Nexis, we would have to pull out the voluminous, at oftimes heavy tomes to verify the information.

20 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

And she's an android.

Sometimes, I think she is.

And if not for suddenly discovering about 20 boxes that hadn't been reviewed, I'd like to think I'd be doing more substantive stuff. As it is, I've done nothing but grunt work, and stuff that I'm overqualified to do, but I'm doing it.

We're talking about scanning paper docs and saving them to the file folders on the computer here.

So, I've been on tenterhooks all day today waiting to hear back when the interview will be next week. I keep telling myself they need to coordinate and make sure all five are available at the same time and day.

I finally here back from my contact, and he informed me he's still waiting to hear back from the team about Monday being doable. And he'll let me know ASAP.

So my question is: do I contact my recruiter NOW and let her know I've got this interview that will take at least 2 hours and let her let the client know? Or wait until I've got confirmation about the day and time FIRST? I hate being so indecisive and not knowing what to do.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

@GHScorpiosRule I’m retired however since today is Friday you might want to drop something along the lines of....I may have to leave on Monday for a few hours yada yada yada. In my line of work (medicine) I had to have coverage if I wasn’t there. You may not need coverage but it seems like the polite thing to do. 

Thanks @Mindthinkr . But I don't know yet if the interview will be in the morning or later in the day. I think I'll wait for the confirmation. If it's in the morning, I can say I have an appointment in the morning, and I'll make up the hours. If it's later in the day, then I can say I have to leave early. but will make up the hours.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks @Mindthinkr . But I don't know yet if the interview will be in the morning or later in the day. I think I'll wait for the confirmation. If it's in the morning, I can say I have an appointment in the morning, and I'll make up the hours. If it's later in the day, then I can say I have to leave early. but will make up the hours.

Either way I hope it goes smoothly for you and that you get the position that you desire. 

• Love 1

Well, Monday probably won't happen because it turns out one of the partners wants someone else to also be a part of the interview; and that wasn't conveyed to my contact who got the original message. So I guess I can relax over the weekend. They haven't changed their minds, just want to add one more person. But I'm hoping he'll hear back later today and Monday is still a go.

• Love 4

I am my own worst enemy. I blame being burned so many times as the reason. I was stressing over the weekend. No bueno, that.

Part of it had to do with the partner here, asking how many hours I bill the client daily. Duh! out of an eight hour day? about 7.7. But I was worried he was going to cut my hours.  But when I saw him this morning, he said it was going to be a busy week.

Still, with the associate, who thinks I can scan, upload and save 8 boxes worth of documents within this week. First, it's not as if I can scan each folder as one pdf file. Oh no, no. I must scan each individual document by itself and save it with its own unique name. Like if the first one is a single page email; that's one; another could be a four-page document.  That would be saved as document two, and so on. Instead of just scanning 400 some pages as on pdf file, where they can just scroll and review. This really isn't efficient, and just scanning one at a time just means the client gets billed for more, because the way she wants me to do it, takes SO.MUCH.LONGER.

Just got confirmation for the interview for tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure how many attorneys I'm meeting with. I see that five were copied on the email confirming, but I'm to ask for two of them upon my arrival. They blocked only an hour. Anyhoo, I did my due diligence and read up on the folks. I'll do some more tonight, to see who else works in this group, so I'll be prepared.

God, I hope tomorrow is the last one, and that they make a decision quickly.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God, I hope tomorrow is the last one, and that they make a decision quickly.

I hope for you too. 

I’m glad at least you’re bringing in some dosh but it pains me that you feel underutilized and stressed. Not to mention all the health issues that you have overcome this year. You are due for some good karma. Good luck. I will be rooting for you. 

• Love 3

I swear to God I don’t understand why my supervisor can’t approve my time sheet on time, so that I can get paid! Since they’ve gone electronic, all he has do is click approve. And that’s it. There’s no OT. Straight up the hours I’ve worked. It’s frustrating because he said if he doesn’t approve it the same day I submit, then he “definitely will within 24 hours.” His words. And yet, I find myself having to remind him. 

Looks like two attorneys were swapped out. No matter.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I swear to God I don’t understand why my supervisor can’t approve my time sheet on time, so that I can get paid! Since they’ve gone electronic, all he has do is click approve. And that’s it. There’s no OT. Straight up the hours I’ve worked. It’s frustrating because he said if he doesn’t approve it the same day I submit, then he “definitely will within 24 hours.” His words. And yet, I find myself having to remind him. 

That would be because your supervisor doesn't give a flying fuck if you get paid on time; he only cares that he does. My former manager was prone to "forget" to approve time sheets; this was back when I was hourly. I don't recall the specifics of it, but there was some way hourly people could access the system to see if the approval had been done. I did not hesitate to send him an IM or email asking him to go ahead and approve my time sheet on time, so I would get paid on time. It was a weird thing for me, because prior to that, when I had done contract work, their system was set up so that if a manager did not approve time sheets by a certain point, then hate email was auto-generated to that manager, and the next highest person in the corporate food chain was copied on the email. There was zero tolerance for failing to approve time sheets on time; if a manager was going to be out of office, someone else had to be designated to do the approvals. 

I will tolerate some BS in the workplace, but do not fuck with me getting paid on time. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I work in home care. A recent communication (via email in all CAPS) states, if we need to call off during non business hours, we have to find our own coverage, and leave a message on the office voicemail. “Do not call the on call cell, it is for emergencies only.”.

Prior to this, the on call cell was to be used between the hours of 6a and 10p, when the office is closed, which includes weekends, for calling off, reporting no response at a home, injures, and such.

This  is going to be a disaster. Their reasoning is, the office staff isn’t getting calls back when seeking coverage. So, let’s put the responsibility on the peons, I guess.

I’m picturing a message being left stating, “I am in the emergency room, I tried to get coverage for X, for 8a-4p today. I couldn’t reach anyone, so X has no one coming today.”.

Bullshit.

ETA: This is an agency that provides 24 hour coverage. So, to me, after hours should not even be a thing. Just because the office isn’t open 24 hours ,  there is no “after hours”, IMO.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Looks like two attorneys were swapped out. No matter.

Um, isn't it a Federal law that employees must be paid on time...or else?  I presume the "or else" means employers will be dinged with a huge fine. 

This came to mind because I had an employer back in the 80's who liked to threaten that we wouldn't get our paychecks if (insert ridiculous job task here) wasn't finished on time.  Maybe things have changed?  Maybe you're not technically an on-staff employee who is supposed to receive a paycheck on a set schedule?  But honestly, why is it so hard for people to pay for services rendered?

Edited by CatsAndMoreCats
  • Love 1

I worked a part-time job once in a laundry where the owner was never there. After being hired, I never saw her. I rarely saw her daughter, who was her second in command. She never did the week's schedule until Sunday, which is when the work week started, so you always had to call in that day to find out if you were supposed to work that day, which was crap.

Anyway, I was quitting and wanted to give two weeks notice, except I never saw anyone who was in charge. So I left a letter for them because that was how they seemed to communicate. Well, the owner and her daughter went on vacation to Hawaii and didn't see the letter (and apparently left no one responsible in charge). I didn't know they were gone. They didn't tell us peons.

For once, they got the schedule done early, and I was on it after my last day. I called the laundry and actually got the daughter. I told her I wouldn't be there because I wasn't going to be working for them by that point and told the daughter I left a letter as that was the only way I could reach them. The daughter said, "Well, your paycheck might be late then." So I called the state Department of Labor to ask if they could do that. This was before the web. Then I called back and left a message saying I had called the DOL and that they could not hold my paycheck and I expected it to be mailed on the correct day. And I no longer do any business with that family.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

That would be because your supervisor doesn't give a flying fuck if you get paid on time; he only cares that he does. My former manager was prone to "forget" to approve time sheets; this was back when I was hourly. I don't recall the specifics of it, but there was some way hourly people could access the system to see if the approval had been done. I did not hesitate to send him an IM or email asking him to go ahead and approve my time sheet on time, so I would get paid on time. It was a weird thing for me, because prior to that, when I had done contract work, their system was set up so that if a manager did not approve time sheets by a certain point, then hate email was auto-generated to that manager, and the next highest person in the corporate food chain was copied on the email. There was zero tolerance for failing to approve time sheets on time; if a manager was going to be out of office, someone else had to be designated to do the approvals. 

I will tolerate some BS in the workplace, but do not fuck with me getting paid on time. 

I know it's only been a month since I've been here, and the guy is really very nice. But it's just him and his associate and they clearly need more people. But, I digress. I just spoke with my agency, and she told me that if he hasn't approved by Wednesday (I'm going to remind him later today), that as long as I submitted my timesheet, I will get paid by Friday.

And while I was at it, I asked my recruiter the protocol about what to say for interviews. THEY would let my current boss know I have an appointment. HELL, I do that. And I make up for any additional time I take up. Jeebus. I wish I could just say 'I have an interview" because this is a contract assignment, and no chance to become full-time because he can't afford it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

Um, isn't it a Federal law that employees must be paid on time...or else?  I presume the "or else" means employers will be dinged with a huge fine. 

This came to mind because I had an employer back in the 80's who liked to threaten that we wouldn't get our paychecks if (insert ridiculous job task here) wasn't finished on time.  Maybe things have changed?  Maybe you're not technically an on-staff employee who is supposed to receive a paycheck on a set schedule?  But honestly, why is it so hard for people to pay for services rendered?

Last time I checked it was Federal law.

• Love 1

The Drama Llama, who is my opposite number (I'm in charge of anything didactic, he's in charge of anything clinical) is a massive whiner.  And I can hear him whining 30 feet away through a closed door.  He hates the copier because it logged him out, and we don't have any colors of paper we haven't already used for a certain kind of forms, and he won't use white paper because it's boring, and why do we only have jumbo paper clips because he wants regular ones, and the weather sucks (it does, to be fair; it's 90 with a dew point in the 70s, but it's air-conditioned in here).   Fortunately his hours are 7:00 - 3:00 and mine are 9:00 - 5:00, so every afternoon I get to revel in the quiet for a little while.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CatsAndMoreCats said:

But honestly, why is it so hard for people to pay for services rendered?

My friend does court reporting (although not so much any more), depositions and transcribing. The lady she works for bills the clients at 30 days but if they fail to pay for 90 (their usual MO and you’d think that lawyers of all people would pay on time) my friend is out the money. She has told this lady that it’s her problem collecting the funds but legally she is due her paycheck 30 days after the service is rendered. This lady is a bit fly by the seat of her pants. She’ll call and say she forgot to tell her it’s a rush job a day before it’s due. (The boss gets paid extra for that but not my friend)  Many plans have been cancelled because of her job.  The boss conveniently forgets it’s pay day, or forgets to put the check in the mail and other various excuses. I asked why my friend continues to work for her but she’s too afraid of losing the work. She does it from her home. 

I apologize if my writing seems all over the place. I’m exhausted and doing the best that I can. 

• Love 2

Well, I met with six attorneys today! three associates and three counsels. And the co-chair of the practice group popped in to say "hello," and was very pleased to see my Blue Book that had a multitude of post-it flags! Those that are attorneys and any fellow paralegals/legal secretaries here will know what I"m talking about. He stayed for just a minute or two.

This group of attorneys I really really like. There was no discomfort, and since the kind of work/practice group is an area of law that I've worked on for five years, helped a lot. None were concerned with the job movement, as the director I met with two weeks ago explained it all and told them it wasn't an issue. Only one, the last attorney (counsel) asked me to go over it. I'll be honest--she was pregnant and I swear looked like she was ready to pop that baby out. But I maintained eye contact with both her and the associate who sat in with her. It was two attorneys at a time. All were pleased (based on what they actually said to me and the head nods) with my work ethic and how I handle a crisis or if there's a conflict of deadlines. 

I was there for a little over two hours.

I'm trying not to get too excited because I really believe I'd be a good fit with this firm and this firm would be a good fit for me.

I'll be emailing my thank yous tomorrow. Had these interviews been through an agency, the Hiring Manager/HR whoever would contact my recruiter about the next steps. But since I did this on my own, I'll just wait a week before following up with the firm's recruiter whose been scheduling the interviews.

I'm wondering who I should give a partial blood sacrifice to in order to have them call me and tell me they want to hire me?

• Love 11
On 7/17/2018 at 5:51 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm trying not to get too excited because I really believe I'd be a good fit with this firm and this firm would be a good fit for me.

I'll be emailing my thank yous tomorrow. Had these interviews been through an agency, the Hiring Manager/HR whoever would contact my recruiter about the next steps. But since I did this on my own, I'll just wait a week before following up with the firm's recruiter whose been scheduling the interviews.

I'm wondering who I should give a partial blood sacrifice to in order to have them call me and tell me they want to hire me?

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd suggest also snail-mailing thank you notes too. I swear every job I got, it was the paper thank you (in addition to the email) that tipped the cards in my favor. Hell, the President at my last role said as much.

Very short and sweet. Thank you again for taking the time to meet with me about xyz. my expertise would be a perfect fit. I am excited about the opportunity to work with everyone at [company] and look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

I have no idea what is going on with my post up there. There are no links or anything embedded. 

I thought it looked weird too but your wordage was good and to me that’s what really matters. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd suggest also snail-mailing thank you notes too. I swear every job I got, it was the paper thank you (in addition to the email) that tipped the cards in my favor. Hell, the President at my last role said as much.

Very short and sweet. Thank you again for taking the time to meet with me about xyz. my expertise would be a perfect fit. I am excited about the opportunity to work with everyone at [company] and look forward to hearing from you.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just sent off the six emails! Jeebus my fingers hurt. And that's on top of them already hurting because of the bloodletting testing my blood sugar four times a day! I'm TOTALLY stealing those lines. Just need to buy thank you note cards later today, and very laboriously and neatly write them, as my handwriting isn't very good.

22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yippee for you @GHScorpiosRule  The interview is over and it sounds like it went well. Now the hardest part begins...the waiting. I agree with @theredhead77 about sending out a snail mail thank you note. Please just do it for no other reason than to humor us. Fingers crossed. 

I'm definitely going to do it.

21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have no idea what is going on with my post up there. There are no links or anything embedded. 

I hate when that happens. I just reported it, so maybe a mod or someone on the admin side can figure out what happened. There has been a slew of spammers, not to mention bugs on this site. So nothing against you, but just for them to figure it out.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just need to buy thank you note cards later today, and very laboriously and neatly write them, as my handwriting isn't very good

Target dollar section usually has a small pack for $3. I aim for something a little 'fun' on the professional side. Not glitter and sparkles but I found some that were brown and orange with "thank you' cut out. Just something to stand out from the pack.

Short, sweet and print if your cursive sucks. I also found type of pen matters. My writing looks amazing with some pens and terrible with others. And it's not expensive vs cheap.

• Love 1

I get blank cards at Dollar Tree for...wait for it...$1. They come in packs of eight cards. I have some with "thank you" in two different designs, an orchid picture (can be used for virtually any situation), a star pattern, a funky owl print, and a black-and-white filigree pattern (also very versatile).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Target dollar section usually has a small pack for $3.

Do you mean Target? The store of the red bulls-eye icon that used to be Dart Drug?  Or should I target, that is, head to the Dollar store? I'm sorry, my mind's all mush today.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I get blank cards at Dollar Tree for...wait for it...$1. They come in packs of eight cards. I have some with "thank you" in two different designs, an orchid picture (can be used for virtually any situation), a star pattern, a funky owl print, and a black-and-white filigree pattern (also very versatile).

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Really pissed off once again.  I completed one request late last night, and now the Dip has stuck her nose into it.  It's something we do all the fucking time, now she HAD to ask the boss, shouldn't we ask for documentation?  Hey how about learning your fucking job instead of surfing the internet all damned day!  She had one simple update yesterday and it took her 4 to 5 tries, laughing each time.  It was basically enter this data, copying the way other data has been entered.  Wrong data, wrong format, you name it.

Anyhow, about the documentation she now wants, I asked for which type - permanent (which comes from a group who's sole responsibility is to monitor regulatory crap along with an outside vendor and account executives for the clients - so their asses are grass if the shit is wrong) or a temporary update.  Plus have any of these individuals been notified they need to supply whatever (she didn't state what documentation - there is none - if she thinks it's printed - it is not - probably via an email - unless she wants proof of registration documents from regulatory agencies which I doubt they'd want published for the general public as it were to see).  She gets under my skin, trying to act more important and in charge - than she really is.  Learn to do your fucking job FIRST.

Boss is sort of being relocated but we'll still report to him.  He's checked out basically.  I think he's trying to get into something else and this is just his way of moving on eventually.  So, he's not a great help right now.  I did fire back an email asking for specifics, which she'll have zero.    She sends out shit without thinking a damned thing through.  I'm so very pissed off.  If I had enough money to last until official retirement age (about 5 years), I'd quit right now.  Sadly Dip is way above legal retirement age (almost 70).  Retire already!  For the love of God, retire already.

• Love 3

So now the nice people I work with have taken their professionalism to calling me fat and ugly. I don't know what I let it bother me. 

"Wow I've been searching pictures of you online you looked like a model - so slim and gorgeous now you're like a different person like ugh"  great way to start my day. 

I said that's not appropriate or professional to comment on coworkers looks "oh it's not negative I just mean you changed like unrecognizable it's ok to say people change!" 

I'm back in old area out of my office to being in cluster w these wonderful loud passive aggressive people yay. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

So now the nice people I work with have taken their professionalism to calling me fat and ugly. I don't know what I let it bother me. 

"Wow I've been searching pictures of you online you looked like a model - so slim and gorgeous now you're like a different person like ugh"  great way to start my day. 

I said that's not appropriate or professional to comment on coworkers looks "oh it's not negative I just mean you changed like unrecognizable it's ok to say people change!" 

I'm back in old area out of my office to being in cluster w these wonderful loud passive aggressive people yay. 

Stevie Wonder could see what they meant by that. Bunch of bitchy mean girls. Sorry you have to deal with that. Also, I hate passive aggressive. I like to counter that with full on aggressive. (Clearly the midwestern nice in me is no longer).

• Love 5

I literally only said good morning to her and sat at my desk. 

Im not one of those people who thinks looks are an achievement or that it's important to be hot but I also dislike aggression and drama. It's not just that it's taking of my things (food, phone charger)  and being noisy. 

Who tells someone they used to be gorgeous and now they're the opposite of that. I didn't know how to reply except that's not appropriate or professional to comment on. She said something about my car yesterday too. Weird place and weird people. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I literally only said good morning to her and sat at my desk. 

Im not one of those people who thinks looks are an achievement or that it's important to be hot but I also dislike aggression and drama. It's not just that it's taking of my things (food, phone charger)  and being noisy. 

Who tells someone they used to be gorgeous and now they're the opposite of that. I didn't know how to reply except that's not appropriate or professional to comment on. She said something about my car yesterday too. Weird place and weird people. 

They sound like a bunch of a-holes. That’s very rude of them and it would hurt my feelings. Your looks have nothing to do with your job performance. Lol...you should go to one of those sites that ages people so they can see what they’ll look like in 20-30 years and leave that as a memo on their desks. Just venting...don’t stoop to their level but I’m so angry at them for making you feel that way. Karma will bite them. Only God (insert whatever Higher Power that you believe in) can judge. Also what about a hidden camera (like the nanny cams that aren’t noticeable) and bait them with some yummy treat or something for them to steal. Then you’ll have your answer as to the other missing items. What a bunch of jerks. Ok. I’m done with my rant but my blood is still boiling. Bless you. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

So these folks admit they aren't doing actual work at work?

I know you said it's a startup, so I imagine there's not much structure, but is there anyone you can talk to about these jackals? Some sort of HR person or someone in a supervisory position that has a bit of sense? These people are harassing you.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Tell them that back in those days you were surrounded by fluffy kittens and puppies and this is what happens if you are around all the negative energy and bullshit commentary people feel free to unload.

• Love 6

Yes management didn't do anything at all. It's a similar situation as what @bilgistic went through just trash people who are enabled. The management even said something like why would people do this I said power and the sense of superiority. They told me ignore it and focus on work. Total bullshit. 

The woman calling me ugly or fat aren't Victoria Secret models themselves and I'm not like deformed. Not that it would matter if someone worked here missing an arm would they call him stuppy and cripple and shit? 

• Love 3
On 7/18/2018 at 3:38 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you mean Target? The store of the red bulls-eye icon that used to be Dart Drug?  Or should I target, that is, head to the Dollar store? I'm sorry, my mind's all mush today.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Target the store w/ the red bullseye

They have a dollar section in the front and I usually find cute birthday and thank you notes in it.

• Love 2

The retirement party for my co worker is Hollywood/ movie themed. I'm making a sign that says "that's a wrap!" But I'm stuck on what should come after. I want a saying that alludes to the next chapter in her life. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Hero said:

The retirement party for my co worker is Hollywood/ movie themed. I'm making a sign that says "that's a wrap!" But I'm stuck on what should come after. I want a saying that alludes to the next chapter in her life. 

Say something about a sequel.  If you know what she plans on doing in retirement, make up a movie title that incorporates that, and say "Coming soon, the sequel: [Title]."

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Say something about a sequel.  If you know what she plans on doing in retirement, make up a movie title that incorporates that, and say "Coming soon, the sequel: [Title]."

That's a good one!

8 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Who the hell does that??!! Who says stuff like that to people?? I mean that's just not normal behavior. These are not normal people. Just keep saying to yourself "they are not right in the head".  Maybe you should tell them that you're flattered that they find you so fascinating to spend so much time looking you up but it's a shame they have nothing else to do with their lives. 

• Love 4