Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

It must be incredibly frustrating to go through all of that then not get the job. On the other hand, the attorney who "stared" at you would probably have been more trouble than the job was worth. Keeping fingers crossed that the right job comes along soon. 

• Love 5

Bazzfazzmatazz.  I've been back at work for not quite a day and a half post-vacation, and I've spent most of this morning doing half a dozen things for two other people so they can cross those things off their own task lists (send me this file for a meeting that isn't scheduled yet, find me some dates this meeting could happen on, reserve parking for this lecturer, give me the dates next January for this course).  I can't get to my own task list while I'm doing things for other people. 

• Love 2

I just really have to vent. I'm temporarily taking over someone else's responsibilities at work while that person is out for a month and half. They are training me to do this job, but this person's last day is on Tuesday. They only started training me 3 days ago. 

I am super stressed because I still don't have the hang of it. My boss is very passive aggressive and whenever I ask a question, she gets annoyed. 

I have taken notes, but I still don't feel ready. I'm so scared that I will mess something up. I have to check this person's email why they are gone, and it's just a lot of stuff to learn in a few days. I wish they would've trained me earlier. 

I hate being stressed over stupid things like this. My boss could do most of this stuff herself, but she likes to have other people  do it. 

I'm just really nervous snd scared. I feel way out of my element. 

• Love 4

A critical part of my job is to ensure orders are routed correctly and shipped literally ASAP, usually same day from one of our warehouses. Part of what helps us succeed with this is to hold all orders for review so it can be updated before the shipment prints at the default location (often a store without inventory fully in stock). This block is part of our SOP and sales reps don't get to dictate whether or not it's enabled.

With that in mind I present to you: Adventures in DIP2 vol.2

First DIP2 sends an email to their entire department (not just her group) stating that people must request this block to be added to their customers accounts (despite me and my counterparts who support the other groups stating otherwise during our training last month). This of course caused mass confusion in the other groups. We got that straightened out.

Earlier this week DIP2 told me to not touch "her" online orders (orders her customers place, online). My job is to manage the online orders and a benefit of this to her and the sales force is it gives them more time to sell. Fine, you want to manage your orders and answer to your boss when she sees you doing this? Have at it.

Yesterday she sends an email to me, my counterpart (who supports her group) to remove all hold-blocks from all her customer profiles, they don't need to be reviewed. Nope, that is not happening, full stop. I found out from my counterpart that one of our stores released an order (correctly) and she had a huge fit. She emailed not only her boss, but the Vice President over the entire department about it. My counterpart filled me in that he already spoke with her boss and the boss is supportive of what we are doing and DIP2 is wrong. And the VP was basically 'why am I being emailed about this?'

I've been reading It's Your Ship and trying to apply the tools I am reading about to the situation. So instead of responding to her (and copying her manager) with an explanation as to why I will not be eliminating the blocks I just deleted the email and will keep on keeping on, since the processes I've implemented are wildly successful and I suspect she committed career suicide with her antics the past few weeks. "Do what is best for the customer" is our mantra.

• Love 3

So I just learned this past Friday that I will not be rehired by my school as a teacher next year. Because anytime you get called into the boss’s office on a Friday afternoon: watch out, you’re getting canned. 

Never mind the past three years I have successfully ran my classroom, never mind that I’d signed my contract to work there next year last month—-due to an unintentional recent auditing error in my IEP paperwork, my school decided that I was too much of a “liability” to allow such a mistake to occur again, so they’re essentially washing their hands of me as soon as I finish out the school year here.

I’m still a bit shocked by it all, but am just trying to steel myself up for my next teaching adventure, wherever that is. I’m not too worried because I have 15+ years teaching experience and full licensure in a high need area, but still, I’m bummed that my school found me so expendable, especially after all the good work and excellent reviews I’d gotten otherwise. One of my supervisors apparently ratted me out repeatedly and had personal issues with me for whatever reason, so I mostly blame her for seemingly taking pride in planning and assisting my downfall. I’ve never seen someone act so smugly self-satisfied to watch a colleague get fired, that’s for damned sure.

I’m especially saddened for my students; we’ve become like a family and I was genuinely looking forward to helping them graduate and getting them settled into their post-graduate lives and careers. My assistant of the past 2 years just got fired as well, so we’re both pretty upset about how callously we’ve been treated.

I had several friends suggest I seek legal counsel because I’d already signed a contract for next year before this firing, but they forget that this is an “at will” state and my contract can get revoked at any moment. Honestly, I’m just ready to wash my hands of all this and get on with my professional life.

But I am mostly upset over the school’s treatment of my assistant and myself. I had no idea we were considered this expendable. Yet my principal seems to almost enjoy firing teachers for abitrary reasons. It’s definitely unfair to the students to treat their teachers this way. And they wonder why there’s a teacher shortage?! 

Anyways...time to dust off the old resume. Which is gonna take some time and effort, but I have no choice. I just wonder how I’m gonna deal with a long summer break’s lack of a paycheck...it’s gonna hurt.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

had several friends suggest I seek legal counsel because I’d already signed a contract for next year before this firing, but they forget that this is an “at will” state and my contract can get revoked at any moment. Honestly, I’m just ready to wash my hands of all this and get on with my professional life.

Just commenting that even in 'at-will' states, I've seen plenty of lawsuits against school districts for terminations, failure to promote, etc.  about 1/4 of my work recently is defending various lawsuits brought against one school district.  its almost a cottage industry for some plaintiff attorneys because it is almost always easier and less expensive to settle than take to trial.  considering you'd already signed a contract, that might give you a stronger case.  Obviously, its up to you to decide, but these days, people bring lawsuits about everything, regardless of the possible hurdles.

• Love 5

There's a really good chance I may lose my job in December.  My company is losing a major client and they basically told all of us that they're hoping to keep us but we should be prepared for termination.   I don't like my job, I've always been under paid and under appreciated but I've been there a long time now because I've had a hard time finding other work.   I never get replies when I send out my resume and don't know why that would change now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

@theredhead77 is she a salesperson or sales manager of some sort?

Tele-sales. Basically telemarketers for existing customers and they are expected to make calls to try and win new business. The department was supposed to be so much more than this, but the department launch was handled so poorly by upper management it's stagnated. It's a shame too but all I can do is focus on how I can help them.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Tele-sales ... all I can do is focus on how I can help them.

Generally speaking (meaning that I'm about to make a generalization that OF COURSE there will be specific examples where it isn't true) sales people are best managed by setting up compensation plans that reward them for what you want them to do. As management, I would want to keep them away from thinking about anything but how they can make the most money by selling the most stuff. 

I would think that they would be more than willing to let you support them and not worry about logistics and fulfillment. Is that normally the case except for this one person?

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Generally speaking (meaning that I'm about to make a generalization that OF COURSE there will be specific examples where it isn't true) sales people are best managed by setting up compensation plans that reward them for what you want them to do. As management, I would want to keep them away from thinking about anything but how they can make the most money by selling the most stuff. 

I would think that they would be more than willing to let you support them and not worry about logistics and fulfillment. Is that normally the case except for this one person?

The majority of our sales force is happy to have someone else manager their orders (in the same manner their customers are accustomed to) so they are free to make calls / sell more.

• Love 1

@Sun-Bun - bullshit like that is why teachers need tenure.  I would at least talk to a lawyer. The contract you signed has to mean something.  Obviously there are some things which would be grounds for voiding the contract, but a mistake in an IEP doesn't sound like one.  I'm sorry that happened to you. 

I'm in my 14th year this year, so I've had tenure for awhile, but if something like that happened to me, I don't even know.  Teaching is one of the few jobs where changing jobs means you'll probably actually be making less because no one is going to put you on the salary guide where you should be.  I also teach a highly in demand subject, and kind of hate my immediate supervisor, but I stay for that reason.  That, and I have built a reputation and a relationship with these kids over 14 years, and that's a hard thing to have to start over from square one.  

I actually got my summary evaluation today (with 35 days of school left, mind you).  I'm rated highly effective.  What do I get for that distinction?  A whole lot of nothing, except probably more work which I have neither the time nor desire to do.  Hooray!

I'm sure you'll find something over the summer.  

• Love 4

I HATE MY BOSS! I wrote a few days ago about how i'm temporarily taking over for someone. They just taught me this person's job 4 days ago. This person does so much stuff, while my boss doesn't really do anything, it's frustrating. 

I feel so stupid. My boss keeps giving me a million things to do, while i'm trying to concentrate on what I was just taught a few days ago. 

This is stuff that technically my boss could and should be doing on her own. 

I feel like I'm going to go crazy. I feel like I want to burst into tears. Then I feel really stupid because the job isn't rocket science, I just feel so overwhelmed. 

• Love 1
(edited)

@Hero, I understand how you feel, and I sympathize.

Try to have a discussion with your boss. Go into the meeting prepared with a list of your responsibilities and then the additional job's responsibilities. Tell your boss that the workload is heavier than you can effectively manage alone, so you need her, "as my manager", to help you prioritize the workload: 1) What must be done? 2) What should probably be done? 3) What can wait until you can get to it? The trick is you make it all seem like it's her idea.

If everything's a priority (which, no), can she hire at least a part-time temp and train them herself?

I know you said she's not so much into hearing you, but it's going to look bad on her if you are overwhelmed and unable to manage your workload. It's in her best interest to help you succeed. It makes her look like good manager.

You can do only what you can do. Take my experienced advice and don't overextend yourself. You are not being compensated for doing an entire additional job on top of your own. Of course you want to do your best and be accommodating to the occasional special request, but an entire additional job's responsibilities is far more than that.

I wish you the very, very best. Set up boundaries now, when you haven't been there very long. I know it's so difficult, but it will save your sanity in the long run.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

@Hero, I understand how you feel, and I sympathize.

Try to have a discussion with your boss. Go into the meeting prepared with a list of your responsibilities and then the additional job's responsibilities. Tell your boss that the workload is heavier than you can effectively manage alone, so you need her, "as my manager", to help you prioritize the workload: 1) What must be done? 2) What should probably be done? 3) What can wait until you can get to it? The trick is you make it all seem like it's her idea.

If everything's a priority (which, no), can she hire at least a part-time temp and train them herself?

I know you said she's not so much into hearing you, but it's going to look bad on her if you are overwhelmed and unable to manage your workload. It's in her best interest to help you succeed. It makes her look like good manager.

You can do only what you can do. Take my experienced advice and don't overextend yourself. You are not being compensated for doing an entire additional job on top of your own. Of course you want to do your best and be accommodating to the occasional special request, but an entire additional job's responsibilities is far more than that.

I wish you the very, very best. Set up boundaries now, when you haven't been there very long. I know it's so difficult, but it will save your sanity in the long run.

I told her that it is a lot of stuff to do, but she just told me that I have to manage my time. I know it's only for a month and I'm psyching my self out, but every time I am there I feel like I can't breathe. 

Nobody in my office likes my boss. She  has let power go to her head. Everyone there sympathizes with me because they know how she is. 

I feel like a failure because this stuff isn't coming to me fast enough. 

48 minutes ago, Jaded said:

@Hero does your boss have a boss? If so what are they like?

She doesn't have a boss, which I think is why she is like that. She is just not a nice person. She doesn't like to learn things that would force her to do other people's work when they are gone. 

She hates speaking to the public, which is a huge part of her job. She is rude to the public constantly and has gotten several complaints. She is kind of untouchable and she knows it. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Hero said:

I told her that it is a lot of stuff to do, but she just told me that I have to manage my time. I know it's only for a month and I'm psyching my self out, but every time I am there I feel like I can't breathe. 

Nobody in my office likes my boss. She  has let power go to her head. Everyone there sympathizes with me because they know how she is. 

I feel like a failure because this stuff isn't coming to me fast enough. 

You aren't a failure. You are doing your best, and that is enough.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

You aren't a failure. You are doing your best, and that is enough.

Thank you!! She really makes people feel so dumb. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Hero said:

Thank you!! She really makes people feel so dumb. 

Which makes her feel superior.  I've got a suggestion but am on my phone right now.  I do better with a real keyboard.

• Love 2

Ignoring your boss' deficits for now, focus on the facts.

You're a new hire right - I thought it was just in the past month or two that you got this job and it was part time, so correct me if I am wrong.

Is the person you are covering for a FT position?  And would her responsibilities be considered lateral or an operational function/different pay grade.

Is anyone else assigned to assist in covering the workload?

Are you expected to complete your own job duties and her's within your original hours?  Clearly, that is a silly expectation. 

If you are given additional hours to complete her duties too, is it an hour-for-hour increase?  Say she normally works X hours a week are you provided your own hours + X to allow you to get both job done?

I'd probably write a nicely worded e-mail explaining your concerns and seeking additional guidance to ensure you meet the expectations.

For example -

Witchy Face -

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to gain additional experience in the Fish Head organization by covering for what's her name while she is out of the office.

I want to be sure that I fully understand how I can best assist, but due to my relatively recent hire, the technical/operational functions between my regular duties and what's her face, I do have some concerns in that regard.  I've included a brief outline of the individual responsibilities and my understanding as to how they should be handled.  If you can review these at you earliest convenience and confirm that these meet your expectations of the steps that would be most appreciated.  If I have left out anything, please advise.  Additionally, if there are any manuals or written policy/technical guidance that I can review that would be great. 

It is my understanding that I should be doing...(insert itemized list, a brief description of each item). 

1. blah
  2. blah
  3. blah

It is not immediately apparent to me which of these tasks should be treated on a priority basis or if a first in, first out principle should drive the process.

Any clarification you can provide will really help me prioritize the workflow so as not to delay or otherwise hinder department productivity.  If there is someone familiar with the function that I should check with on any future minor technical or procedural issues before seeking your guidance, please let me know. 

Thanks!

~~~

This way you are putting it in writing so there is a record to cover you, it lays out that you are a new hire and these responsibilities are outside of your job description.  You are asking for guidance, written manuals, policies & procedures, whatever to help you perform these additional tasks.  Also help from someone other than her for future "minor" questions so you don't have to talk to her.  The idea of "delegation" might appeal to her ego.

• Love 7
(edited)

@Hero, it's hard not to internalize negative comments/impossible expectations from your manager, even if you know that she's the one being unreasonable. Deluker's got all the good advice, so I'll just say keep your head up, know that you will get through this, and vent here when you need to.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Ignoring your boss' deficits for now, focus on the facts.

You're a new hire right - I thought it was just in the past month or two that you got this job and it was part time, so correct me if I am wrong.

Is the person you are covering for a FT position?  And would her responsibilities be considered lateral or an operational function/different pay grade.

Is anyone else assigned to assist in covering the workload?

Are you expected to complete your own job duties and her's within your original hours?  Clearly, that is a silly expectation. 

If you are given additional hours to complete her duties too, is it an hour-for-hour increase?  Say she normally works X hours a week are you provided your own hours + X to allow you to get both job done?

I'd probably write a nicely worded e-mail explaining your concerns and seeking additional guidance to ensure you meet the expectations.

For example -

Witchy Face -

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to gain additional experience in the Fish Head organization by covering for what's her name while she is out of the office.

I want to be sure that I fully understand how I can best assist, but due to my relatively recent hire, the technical/operational functions between my regular duties and what's her face, I do have some concerns in that regard.  I've included a brief outline of the individual responsibilities and my understanding as to how they should be handled.  If you can review these at you earliest convenience and confirm that these meet your expectations of the steps that would be most appreciated.  If I have left out anything, please advise.  Additionally, if there are any manuals or written policy/technical guidance that I can review that would be great. 

It is my understanding that I should be doing...(insert itemized list, a brief description of each item). 

1. blah
  2. blah
  3. blah

It is not immediately apparent to me which of these tasks should be treated on a priority basis or if a first in, first out principle should drive the process.

Any clarification you can provide will really help me prioritize the workflow so as not to delay or otherwise hinder department productivity.  If there is someone familiar with the function that I should check with on any future minor technical or procedural issues before seeking your guidance, please let me know. 

Thanks!

~~~

This way you are putting it in writing so there is a record to cover you, it lays out that you are a new hire and these responsibilities are outside of your job description.  You are asking for guidance, written manuals, policies & procedures, whatever to help you perform these additional tasks.  Also help from someone other than her for future "minor" questions so you don't have to talk to her.  The idea of "delegation" might appeal to her ego.

Thank you for being so thorough! I have been at this workplace for about 3 years on a as need basis. I got hired permanently for a part time posistion a couple of months ago.

This temporary position is full time. I have to do this woman's work, plus whatever work my boss wants me to do. She constantly interrupts me to do the stupidest, mundane things for her. 

What I am doing is a new process to me. I'm way slower than the original lady. II am trying to get stuff done as fast as I can, but she keeps telling me that it's not high priority ? She told me that I have to manage my time, but she keeps making veer from my concentration to do her shit. 

There is another person who help me and I definitely appreciate that. She's only there part time. 

It amazes me that my boss has this job. She doesn't know how to manage people and is very unlikable. I'm thinking about staying there for a little while longer, and then to find a full time position somewhere else. It sucks, because I adore all the other people who there. She is so negative and mean. She sucks the happiness and life from the room. 

10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Hero, it's hard not to internalize negative comments/impossible expectations from your manager, even if you know that she's the one being unreasonable. Deluker's got all the good advice, so I'll just say keep your head up, know that you will get through this, and vent here when you need to.

Thank you! I dread going there everyday because of her. I feel like all of this new information is not sticking in my head. She makes me so nervous and is always watching me, it's unnerving. I hope a position in another department opens up. 

Be mindful of that. Whenever I was getting overly stressed out by harrassing coworkers or bad management I've developed an eye twitch and bad dreams. I know other people who get insomnia or nervous stomachs from it as well. It sounds like besides this woman being a bitch to deal with, they are taking advantage of you by having you do the job of 2 for the salary of one. I would consider looking, sometimes just applying and interviewing gives hope and confidence that you do have options and are liked by leaders. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2018 at 10:07 PM, Hero said:

I hope a position in another department opens up. 

That sounds like the best idea. 

7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Whenever I was getting overly stressed out by harrassing coworkers or bad management I've developed an eye twitch and bad dreams.

Ha!  I know that eye twitch!

• Love 3
(edited)

If you haven't read It's Your Ship I highly recommend you get to reading it. It helped me find some perspective and balance on building my area and sharing my knowledge with my counterparts in other areas. It also helped me figure out what to do about DIPs sister and how I am going to support her nonsense.

*The you refers to a general you, not an individual you

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

Jumping out of my skin here guys.    I am so nervous.  

I was sick for a long while, now better, and offered and accepted a wonderful job.   Oh my.

Gosh, they loved my resume.  Went to orientation yesterday.   I was taken aback by how fast it happened.  Telling me how much they are looking forward to my start on Monday.  No pressure there.

I am a Mechanical Designer by trade.      Jesus gods.  The Interviewer was showing me around the offices and shop.   I asked where I would be stationed.  Walking by cubes and cubes.   Last one.   Oh my. cool - at the end.

But no.  He opens this huge office, window, bookcases.  Here you are.

Feck!  I was like Melanie Griffith in 'working girl'  think I heard the music.

I will play it cool.   Everyone cross fingers and toes.   Thankya

Did I post this before?  Sorry If I did.   Still bumping into walls in shock.

• Love 14
51 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

But no.  He opens this huge office, window, bookcases.  Here you are.

Feck!  I was like Melanie Griffith in 'working girl'  think I heard the music.

25 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I don't remember seeing it - but wow!  That sounds great and a bit overwhelming at the same time!

Good luck @Sweedish Fish! I love your avatar.

Here's a clip from Working Girl. It can't be embedded but I think it's the part Sweedish is describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE-3JxqiV7M

• Love 1

OMG.  I am going to lose my mind.  Some small project that one group has been working on (half assed), has of course ended up being my problem or partially my problem somehow.  Manager A comes by in Feb or March, saying we can add stuff to job 123.  Yep, I need a list, a ticket telling me what you want added and when.  We sent copious amounts of information on how it processes.  Not sure what they did with all the info.  Comes around in April, and I get a message, are we all ready?  Beats me, did you submit what I told you to submit a month ago?  Oh you need something.  Nah, I'm Ms. Freaking Cleo and I just know.........  Phone call and one of the manager's underlings says oh well we don't like this run schedule, it needs to be different.  Say what?  It runs when it runs, schedule already done for 2018.  Well, we need for this new stuff to be in for April.  Fine, job runs in 2 days, so submit your crap now.  Amazing I got it immediately.  All set up.  Nope, not good enough.  Client has 1,000 questions and these idiots cannot answer a damned thing.  Junior Project Mgr assigned, who knows NOTHING about it.  JPM is at my desk for the next several weeks.  Had to set up shit for an emergency test run, even though her boss said why?  This job has been running for 20 years now, we know what it does.  Nope, had to have new test, which was crap. JPM had zero clue on how to set up test cases.  Every other day - CRISIS!!!!

So today, some codes not in place for new stuff.  JPM and the other manager were to check.  Ooops.  Then saying you need to do codes for the other way - shit that will NEVER happen.  I mean not reversal codes, those are set up.  This is moving shit the other way around, which would never happen.  Oh, and manager A missed that they need other codes in place, which have to be done by programming (realized that today).  Good luck Chuck on that.  Won't be done today.  JPM - what does that mean?  I don't know and I don't care.  I really don't.

Then Dip was being overly Dippy today.  This won't work for me.  Now this won't work.  Uh, huh.  I was like I need time to show you XYX crap, which we'd discussed and Dip really, really, really wanted to see - today said what is XYX?  Beats me.  I give up.  Interesting that another support team member confirmed to me that they're scared when Dip handles anything complex.  Just validated that I'm not a complete bitch and not completely crazy (yet).

• Love 1

Terrible day at work and it's only 4 hours in. My boss keeps making me feel so stupid. I can't wait until the person I'm filling in for comes back. 

• Love 1

One of my supervisors apparently ratted me out repeatedly and had personal issues with me for whatever reason, so I mostly blame her for seemingly taking pride in planning and assisting my downfall. I’ve never seen someone act so smugly self-satisfied to watch a colleague get fired, that’s for damned sure.

Send the poop!!!

When the time comes, I know a few people in my immediate vicinity who'll be getting some!!

The job got a lot more anxiety driven for me and my edit partner.  We were informed we HAVE to take a 1 hour lunch during our shift (on grave it's fast paced and I've always eaten at my desk.  That also goes for producers, APs, and photogs).  Trouble is, when we take them, half of the stories aren;t written yet and by the time we return, it's chaos personifed!!  We have to race to lay catch up on all the video due.  One would think after having talked to our video supervisor (not the bitcheroo who's been giving me trouble) and getting this point across to the writers that it would change for the better.  Nope!  Despite telling them all this, they still can't be bothered to finish their work in time.  My partner is getting anxiety attacks because of this.  While I have a stronger constitution, it's not doing me any favors either.  

On the plus side, one of the producers (who had an attitude the size of the Grand Canyon) moved to a different department at the studio and a different shift.  I ran into one of her co-workers/trainers last week.  He asked me if she always had this attitude.  I told him, and he understood.  He is optimistic that he'll break her of it eventually.  You see this girl graduated from college last summer and of course, knows everything and had the nerve to poison the newer producers and APs to ignore me (and my edit partner) since we didn't know anything about anything.  Never mind the fact I'd been editing and producing/writing since she was in kindergarten!!  She taught the current girls a lot of bad habits and I'm not sure if they'll get corrected before I lose my sanity. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, magicdog said:

We were informed we HAVE to take a 1 hour lunch during our shift

This could be a law compliance thing they are deciding to enforce - at least 30 minutes of it.

In CA, hourly employees are required to take at least a 30 minute lunch break working over 6 hours. The break has to be before 5 hours and 59 minutes (unless you clock out at 6 hours) but it doesn't say the earliest you can take it. In theory one could clock in at 8am and then "go to lunch" at 8:05am, return at 8:35am and clock out at 5pm and be in compliance. Companies may "require" an hour but you might want to check your local laws to see if it's 30 minutes that are required and if it even applies to you.

• Love 2

According to the lawyer, it's federal law to take it.  When I asked her why now after all this time, she said it's likely someone did an audit or something and found out that those on grave were not taking breaks.  Of course, the pace has always been faster on that shift so there was no time to do so unless you hire someone to sit in and take over while you're gone.  That doesn't happen with us.  The other shift is much slower paced and they have time to go to break.  

Before now, we had clearance (from the old supervisor) to take our "lunch" at the time that worked best for us.  My partner took lunch at midnight to 1am (came into work from 1am to 9am), while I took mine at 8am to 9am (came in midnight and left at 8am.)  We told this to the supervisors (since our previous super had left for another position in a different department) and they say he shouldn't have done that (he even had the nerve to lie about it, but I have copies of approved timesheets that prove it was with his approval), but now we're stuck doing it this way.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Thanks all !.   Three days in and it's great so far.  I know the software, I'm just a little rusty on the 3d stuff, but it's coming back to me.   It's a matter of learning where they keep all drawings, files, and all that fun stuff.    I wish everyone would stop telling me how excited the boss is to have me there.  I am not trying to be coy -   Expectations are high.  But I can do it, kids.   (I think I can, I think I can)

I want to know who invented this work business.  I will give them a talking to.

Wanna bang on the drum all day.

Edited by Sweedish Fish
  • Love 5

Last October we had a three-day site visit by an 18-person accreditation committee.  This June we're having a three-day symposium attended (so far; there's no real registration deadline) by six people.  Just because the symposium is smaller, and our continued existence doesn't depend on it, doesn't mean I don't want to do it right.  Doing it right is a lot of work and I have no help because I'm between assistants and everyone else in the office is up to their eyebrows in either graduation (in May) or prep for orientation (in July for one program and August for the other).  GRRR.

• Love 1

Well, I got an earful of information that kind of confirmed what is going on in our team, or not going on - work wise.  This manager told me that every time they look up (they have a clear view) or go by Dip's desk, always, always seems to be surfing the net.  And then, another team member, who I thought was taking a lot of smoke breaks, but I don't have time to keep track, yep, this manager volunteered that they're always taking breaks - said I've counted up to 10 at around 20 minutes per break.  Then I said well I thought there were maybe lunches, too?  Yeah, a good hour and a half.  There are some days when the older people on the team are not in the office, so when old rats are away, the new mice will play I guess.   In hearing the tale below, I think I'll just let Karma do its thing, and not say or do anything that might put my ass on the line (one is a friend of the boss, so no way do I say a word against them ever - I'm not stupid).

Then at the start of the week, heard a tale of an ex-boss of mine.  A real nasty boss at times; acted like they were just perfect and we were all minions, who were the dirt beneath their feet.  Then this person got really sick for a while, and came back (no longer as my boss - for a few years at that point), but was a tad bit nicer.   About six months to a year later, this person left.  No one knew where, kept it very quiet.  Turns out it was to a governmental agency.  Cushy job, good pay, benefits.  Job security big time as they rarely have layoffs or firings.  I also noticed that the ex-boss's pet person was also suddenly working at the same place.  The pet had risen very, very quickly up the food chain, to like a senior vp level.  Way quick.   Another boss said something is sneaky about the pet, do not trust them one bit.  Yeah, I felt something was off, too.   Then I see the ex-boss on LinkedIn, get an alert a few months back, like they had a new job.  Nah, it was some volunteer position.  And the governmental job was a prior listing, with the generic, Communicator, Project Manager, Proven Leader type shit in place of current position.  I thought WTH, but couldn't see what happened.  Found out this week.  The pet, did indeed do something shady, and ex-boss tried to cover it up.  Both canned immediately.  Buh, bye.  Karma does it's thing, but sometimes it takes years.  

• Love 6
(edited)

So next Friday is my last day at this company. They weren't able to go public, so the new honcho they hired who doesn't know jack shit how a legal department is run, gets to stay (she was hired to be the counsel of one entity on the assumption they'd go public), and my boss is the one who got the ax. I'm so upset on her behalf. because new person has NO CLUE. She's constantly asking me for x, y, and z stuff, and I knew it was going to be bad for my boss, because she wasn't copying my boss in her emails to me. And so this new person gets my boss's job. Good Fucking Luck.

And even after going over how the database works, Counsel's own assistant, who works from home, and in Boston, won't be able to file the official documents that need to be in.the.office. I'm soooo sure that the Executive Assistant to the CEO will be willing to take that on. NOT. Anyhoo, not my problem anymore.

I've spoken with a new recruiting agency, and we had a good conversation; she submitted me for two positions: one is a temp to permanent, which needs someone asap (hopefully she'll hear from them today and they'll forego the interview and take me on as temp and see how it goes, and that could start as soon as next week or week after; I told her I could start next week); the other is a direct hire (which I WANT); I also have an interview next week with a small Family Law practice right up the road from where I live; and I also heard back from CACI--this would be working under DOJ-tax litigation. I have a friend who works for the company, and she seems happy there. They called me yesterday, and checked my references; then sent an email asking me to confirm my dob/social in my profile in order to move to the next phase.

So I am cautiously optimistic. But still applying. There are so many positions out there that are in my wheelhouse; even those that rejected me? They're still posting to fill that same position.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

Now I get word that not only do I have to take one hour breaks (which makes my job harder), but now bitcheroo boss is telling me and my partner HOW to take them.  We can’t stay in our bays to eat or chill on the internet while not working.  We must either sit in a smelly and dank break room or leave the building!

This can’t be legal!

• Love 1