Type keyword(s) to search

A Case Of The Mondays: Vent Your Work Spleen Here

• Start Topic

@Bastet I agree. I have pants similar to those, pull-on, stretchy but they look like dress pants, with a wide stretchy waistband.  Perfect for those of us whose weight fluctuates.  With a t shirt, sweater and dressy scarf, I feel and look pretty dressed up. I didn't get them at J Jill, though, I think it was J c Penney.

Some younger women wear leggings, but with a short dress, so the effect is more like wearing a dress and tights.  I think it's a cute look, and I wish I weren't too old/round to try it.  To me, leggings are only OK with a dress or a LONG tunic top.  Leggings without your whole waist to mid thigh area being covered with a top looks like you're going to the gym.

• Love 5

So today, at work, I was at a call for an (unfounded) cruelty investigation. The man whose home I was inspecting for animal cruelty opened his bedroom door and out rushed 2 Rottweilers, 4 Great Danes, and 3 Dobermans. All came barrelling at me 100 mph to greet me with kisses. I am very grateful all were friendly. Never experienced something like that in 5 years of work and while I am glad they were all nice and friendly, I hope never to experience anything like that again.

• Love 2

Today the treat bringer, who was not around for the drama last week, brought.... donuts! And CF brought some sort of treat too that she shared with everyone but me. To be fair, you have to make an effort via IM, call or semaphore to communicate between our desks but her actions were pretty obvious. I'm going to have fun with this!

• Love 4

"Official! The NHS now recognize pedantry as an illness"

The fact that this line is grammatically incorrect (which shrieks out even to a grammar anti-nazi like me) is just one of the many hints that this is a joke.

Posted pedantically  since pointing out which things are "jokes" is pretty pedantic.:)

auntlada :having only read the word "pedantry," I am unsure about how to pronounce it.

Accent on the first syllable.  More pedantry! You're welcome!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
7 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The fact that this line is grammatically incorrect (which shrieks out even to a grammar anti-nazi like me) is just one of the many hints that this is a joke.

Posted pedantically  since pointing out which things are "jokes" is pretty pedantic.:)

Unless the site is using British English, in which case I'm not sure because I'm not British, and I'm not sure if The NHS is a collective noun that could take a plural verb. Also posting pedantically because, well, I covered the reason above.

Edited by auntlada
Silliness.
  • Love 2

Ok I have a strange story / situation and pardon if it's long. I'm at work right now. I worked yest from 3am-12:10pm. Then returned around 11pm to work overnight. I do this every week.

i work in a grocery store and have shared in this thread in the past there's been a few guys who hassled me or seemed unstable including an assault which I reported and he was temporarily suspended for. I do the computer changes and generate and hang all the tags and signs and do display stuff for the store proper and the cases for meat, bakery, deli etc. 

At our other branches it's a 3 person job but I do it alone so several managers of depts gripe about me getting behind or not doing my job this happened Saturday and Sunday. I am the only daytime employee who comes in before dawn each day and work an overnight and often 10 hrs shifts at 12hr busting my ass but ok I'm sure there so many better you'll find. That was my silent response and a digression. 

Anyhow when I returned at 11pm one of the rude dept managers said security wanted to speak to me and I went in the office and he had a baggy with a bullet in it. And said it was found in the bathroom that morning after I used it. I don't have a gun or bullets. So I don't know if someone left it in to scare me and I didn't notice...or if someone "found" it and said I dropped it. I just don't feel comfortable and find this extremely strange and creepy. 

• Love 2

Strange and creepy is the least of it.  Since it won't have your fingerprints on it, I wouldn't worry about that bullet if they decide to press forward with it.

But jeez, you would think someone has better things to do than the juvenile detention center activities - like their damn job maybe? 

You really need to start documenting and think about talking to a lawyer.

• Love 3

Everyone around me is sick. They're once again saving their sick time in case their kids get sick. I am so pissed at their selfishness and lack of concern for the rest of us. It's not my problem that you have kids. It is my problem and will be your huge problem if you get me sick. Use your fucking vacation time if needed but keep your ass home so I don't get sick.

• Love 5

Starting off the year with a bang, people.

I know nothing surprises y'all by now about the level of stupid I work with, but the little prince told me Monday in not so many words that I have to work next Monday (company holiday). Meanwhile, he's going to Vail with the wife tomorrow morning thru Monday. We're so busy, but not too busy for skiing!

In related news, a deal we did with our affiliate office closed today. The lead broker there sent us the final press release afterward; it had already gone out to the press contacts. I read it, and my name was in it as part of the "team". I asked the prince if he approved the release and he said he did.

I said that *I* didn't approve my name being included. I've talked with him several times about my not being "out there" on the website, press mentions, etc. (various reasons; no, I'm not a criminal, but people in my past are). He knows my feelings. He said, "You could say 'thank you'." As a non-broker, I am NOT obligated to be listed or pictured on anything. I'm really irritated about it. He doesn't respect my wishes.

And finally, we are hiring another person (as yet unknown) to add to our current three-person team. Neither he nor the other broker on our team told me. I found out last week through the woman/my friend at work who posts the company job listings.

I called him on it and his excuse was that he "forgot" over the holidays. This was late last week that I found out, though, so nice try. And we have weekly team meetings. Whatever, asshole. I'm pretty damn sure the other guy on our team knew about it before it happened.

There's a serious lack of consideration and respect. Unfortunately, I'm no good at politics or games, and I don't give respect when it isn't earned or reciprocated, so the environment is rough. I do feel bad about that because I don't want to be angry all the time or contribute to toxicity, but I'm not an ass-kisser. I just don't have it in me.

It's probably good he's going to be gone for a while. Talking to him doesn't change anything, clearly, because I've done it over and over. He's the golden boy and is above reproach. I've been there nearly three years. I have a long-term plan to get out and eventually have a new career, but I have to save more money for probably a year, and then go to school for a year full-time. Meanwhile, nearly every day, I seriously consider/fantasize about just grabbing my stuff and walking out.

• Love 2
On 1/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, bilgistic said:

I have a long-term plan to get out and eventually have a new career, but I have to save more money for probably a year, and then go to school for a year full-time. Meanwhile, nearly every day, I seriously consider/fantasize about just grabbing my stuff and walking out.

You might feel good for a little while by walking out, but you have a plan - stick to it and you'll be in a better place before long.  Of course, keep your eyes open, if something better comes along, be ready.

• Love 3
On 1/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, bilgistic said:

I have a long-term plan to get out and eventually have a new career, but I have to save more money for probably a year, and then go to school for a year full-time. Meanwhile, nearly every day, I seriously consider/fantasize about just grabbing my stuff and walking out.

Is it possible to do contract work while you are in school?  I know you work in commercial real estate - I worked a touch in commercial to have the basics down, but my main work was in multifamily.  When I was going through a rough patch in my personal life, I did contract work in multifamily.  I also used to be in charge of hiring & overseeing the work product of contractors our company used.  You don't need to do it for the company you are currently working for, but I suspect that they'll be hurting big time when you leave and they might be the first to call you.  As long as your current job doesn't have a non-compete clause in the hiring agreement, you should be good to go.

I do marketing and support of office and industrial sales. When I leave, I just want to be done. I want out of the industry. I've been in it almost 11 years. It's a bad fit, obviously. I have a terrible habit of being loyal to a fault and staying too long trying to make things work.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I have a terrible habit of being loyal to a fault and staying too long trying to make things work.

@bilgistic, that sounds just like both my marriages. It's good that you have a plan; just knowing that you have an escape plan can make it easier to endure the insanity until such time as you can leave. However, given your location, you might try looking into using your marketing/writing/editing skills in the financial services industry, as I know there are major bank offices there. I work as a tech writer for one of them, and half my team is in downtown Charlotte. Not sure if banking/financial services work has any appeal for you, but I will say it likely pays better and has more flexibility for work arrangements. (I'm sure I have shared this before, but when I was being hired for my current position, my manager had absolutely no issue with my request to work remotely 100%. She had asked colleagues what tech writers were like and been told that we generally prefer quiet and solitude. ) I worked in real estate for 6 months or so many years ago, and I swear being a complete and total asshat seems to be very common in that field, more so than most other industries I've worked in.

1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

However, given your location, you might try looking into using your marketing/writing/editing skills in the financial services industry, as I know there are major bank offices there.

I bet she even knows someone who works in the financial services industry in the area... ;-)

[Deep breath] Cosmetology--I want to (primarily) be a hair colorist! I used to cut my sister's hair when we were kids. I gave her Chynna Phillips's hair cut (remember her?) way back then.

I was "smart", though, so I was put on the college track and as a first-generation college student, didn't know any other way than what my guidance counselor told me. I had a difficult childhood and just wanted out, and college was the way, I thought. Of course, I'm still paying off my student loans over 20 years later because I put myself through school. If I had it to do over...

"Doing hair" has always been at the back of my mind. For over 20 years in my work, I've been in the same role of supporting egomaniacs and making rich people richer, and I'm just over it. I want to be fulfilled creatively while making people happy and feeling good about themselves.

• Love 2

Thanks, @stewedsquash! I'm pretty terrified, but ultimately, I think it'll be a good move. It's what I keep coming back to, and I even toured a couple of schools a few years ago when I was unemployed. I couldn't afford it then. I can't yet...but I'll get there.

My own hairstylist did it--she had a degree in psychology and worked in a clinical setting, but followed her heart and went to cosmetology school a few years ago. She's a year older than I am. So it can be done!

I spend hours on Instagram watching cutting and coloring videos and pictures. Obviously, I know there's a huge gap between that and working in the profession, but I'm just amazed and excited at all the possibilities.

• Love 1

@bilgistic, this is fantastic news! Is there any chance you can save enough in less than a year? Or start with evening or online classes before the hands-on portion of the program? I don't think I can wait that long for you to begin your new life. And, really, isn't this all about me?

Long ago, I quit a job to return to grad school and it was terrifying. I had an assistantship so tuition and fees were waived, but no one can actually live on that stipend so I took out the loans I moan about all the time. But I'll tell you, those were fantastic years and worth every cent. To be out of a soul-killing job and free to set my own schedule more or less. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Love 3

Night classes are 5:30 to 10 four days a week, but only at the non-community college schools. I would die after working ten hours straight during the day. And do you think his majesty would let me off at 5?? HA HA HA HA HA HA. No.

I'm planning to go to community college because it's WAY cheaper than the branded schools (Aveda & Paul Mitchell--$15K-$20K). I could start in fall 2017 instead of winter 2018, but in either case, I need to at least match what I have saved now (ideally more) to be able to support myself for at least a year. I should get a sizeable tax refund. My company overtaxes, even though I've adjusted my withholdings.

It's really kind and humbling that you all are supportive. It means a lot. My family is kind of meh about it, which isn't really surprising, but is disappointing. I guess they don't believe I will make the change, and there's a big part of me that also doesn't believe it. I know, though, that my current path is really unhealthy, and my depression is no better than when I've been unemployed with zero prospects. There has to be something better for me than this.

• Love 8

@bilgistic - that is a big change of direction, but honestly it sounds like there is nothing that you'll miss about CRE.  And going after something like that - not cosmetology, but anything a person feels will be a better fit for their interests and personal fulfillment - is brave and awesome.  Sounds like you've been laying out a good plan for making the transition.  Will be really excited to follow along your journey!

• Love 3

Most of our campus was closed today (the bookstore was open for some reason, but no one else was), but I had to go to a historical society luncheon so I swung by the campus and decided to put in a couple of hours of work.  I started not to (I have housework here to do), but I went ahead and stopped.  I usually get tons of work done when I'm there by myself, but when we aren't open I won't use the elevator (it's reliable, but I have a fear of getting stuck and my cell phone not working so I can call security) and my knees don't like it when I take the stairs.  At least it was only to the second floor.  I only stayed for about an hour.  I would have stayed longer, but I heard the toilet in one of the public restrooms downstairs flush and I knew that no one else was in the building so I got creeped out and left.  It could have been something else, but the sound is pretty distinctive and the rest of the building was quiet but I still left.  Those toilets are automatic flush types, so it could have been a bug walking across the sensor or something (a ghost?  Moaning Myrtle, is that you?).  I hear strange things in that building when I'm there by myself (doors closing in the distance, whispering) but it's generally noises from the A/C system or the mechanical room.  I heard the public elevator activate one time, but the toilet flush was a new one.  

• Love 4

Y'all...this week has been super bizarre. Fortunately, the boss was in Vail Monday while I worked from home-slash-took Bilgisticat to the vet (he's all good!). I had an email via LinkedIn from a woman at a small commercial real estate firm here in town. They are hiring, found me on LinkedIn, would like to talk, blah blah. I get about one email a week like that; they are usually (always) garbage and not at all related to what I do/have ever done.

This, however, was legit.

After several email exchanges and one phone conversation, I have an interview Tuesday to see about replacing the current marketing coordinator after she relocates with her husband in March. She sounds like she's decided I'm perfect for the job. Why??!? The firm is three people, including her position. There are two retail leasing brokers. My job prior to my current one was very similar to the potential position.

Meanwhile, I'm up to my eyeballs in work and cried at my desk yesterday, and I doubt that was the only time this week. Good times. My mind, which can never quiet itself, is busy working through all the many equations of how this can and can't work. I had made a plan. I really, really need out of my current situation, though. The woman at the prospective firm laughed when I told her how much I work. They work considerably less. They wear jeans! They leave early on Fridays! What?!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't practicing my resignation speech.

• Love 12

The work environment can be so different even if the job functions are virtually identical.  A lot of the tone is set by the big cheese in any location.

Keep an open mind when you talk with her - sounds like the workload would be much more manageable.   And March isn't that far away, but if after meeting her you are still interested, ask to meet the people you would be working with, review some of their work files, etc...seeing them as a group should give you a peek at how they interact as a unite and assess who seems to be the driving personality in their group dynamics.

A smaller group may be more casual in their work environment so they may just accept some workplace inefficiency.  But given your experience, you bring with you the skills to work in a higher volume atmosphere - you might be able to bring some processes that make your work life easier/more efficient that they will say "oh, ok".  Not sure who regulates your industry, but you can always say that a process to document the info you need is critical to the regulatory review process and, at times, legal review (I used to work on both sides of corporate compliance - trust me when I say this is an easy sell).

And assess whether you think it might be a manageable workload for you to pursue cosmetology school and contract work with them in a year from now.

I think that is an exciting prospect.  Hope it goes well!

• Love 3

Y'all continue to be the best!

I don't know nor have asked, but I figure if this happens, I'd be brought on up to a month early to train. The current marketing coordinator is leaving at the end of March. She's been with the firm since they started it in 2009.

I have 2.5 weeks of accrued vacation I haven't taken (of course), and I'll get paid for it if I leave the company. I might take a week off between jobs if this thing happens.

I told y'all I've been turning this over and over in my head!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't practicing my resignation speech.

Do the words "fuck" and "you" appear in it?

Congratulations, and good luck.  If it all comes together, I highly recommend taking as much time off between jobs as you can afford.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Do the words "fuck" and "you" appear in it?

Congratulations, and good luck.  If it all comes together, I highly recommend taking as much time off between jobs as you can afford.

Why yes, "Fuck you!" is the last sentence of one of the speeches I've rehearsed!

He's such a shithead. I sent an email yesterday detailing my appointments for the next month. Only one is the interview, which of course he doesn't know. Wednesday, I have an appointment with a gastro specialist. I've waited a month for it, and it was a referral from my GP. The gastro made the appointment, and fortunately, it's in the middle of the day, as is the interview Tuesday. His asshole reply was that the appointments were fine, but I'd need to come in early or stay late because of my workload (like I suddenly forgot about my workload). Or, you know, I could GO ON A LUNCH BREAK for the appointments. He's been talked to by our Managing Director (his boss/the office director) about not allowing me to take lunch breaks. Obviously, that fell on deaf ears.

If this potential job works out, I'm out of there.

OK, I'll let someone else complain about their job now!

• Love 4

@bilgistic I seriously hope this interview works out well for you. I can tell you from my own experience within the last couple of years, there is very little as satisfying as being able to tell asshat managers/colleagues that you have taken another position. And watching as it sinks into them that not only will they not have you around to treat like shit, they will have a significant challenge in finding a replacement to do that work at anything approaching the same level of quality. I agree with @Bastet that if this works out, take off as much time between jobs as you can to enjoy some down time, re-organize at home if that makes you feel like it's a fresh start, etc.. 

At the point I changed positions within my company from one area to another, I was coming home from work on a routine basis asking myself how much longer I would have to choose between keeping my self-respect and keeping my job (that I needed to support myself and my daughter). Getting the email/phone call to say I was being offered the new position made me feel about 10 years younger. Working at a job you have come to loathe with people that you dislike and can't respect is a huge burden, and getting rid of that burden can make you feel incredibly better about yourself and your life. 

ETA: Even if no job offer results from this interview, it can be a positive experience. While I was searching, I had an interview with another company in which it was apparent from the first minute that the hiring manager appreciated my skill set, etc. It didn't work out because their salary range was way below what my current salary was, but for the first time in months, I felt that someone actually acknowledged my value. That in and of itself was a huge ego boost.

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 7

Yes to all of that, @BookWoman56! I actually got out of bed today and accomplished things instead of indulging my depression and sleeping all day. The fact that someone recognizes that I have worth has made me feel...a little better. I know I should feel that on my own, but when I'm constantly told how I'm screwing up or how I'm wrong or "not normal" (yes, really), it drags me down.

OK, seriously, time to hear about @theredhead77's donut capers.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
On 1/21/2017 at 5:18 PM, bilgistic said:

Why yes, "Fuck you!" is the last sentence of one of the speeches I've rehearsed!

I find it very dangerous for me to rehearse work speeches.

I inevitably find myself sharing a few gems that seriously should not be uttered. 

I have never seen my workplace in a state like this where the dedicated, conscientious, and long tenured people who are holding things together by sheer force of will have zero fucks left give. 

• Love 2

I have never seen my workplace in a state like this where the dedicated, conscientious, and long tenured people who are holding things together by sheer force of will have zero fucks left give. 

You wouldn't happen to work at a federally governed environmental agency, would you? ;) Kidding

• Love 4

Treat update! When we last left off, every week since CF had her "spell", treats consisted of donuts, or donuts and bagels. Someone brought a couple mix fruit cups, once.

Today was CFs treat day and she went insane with croissants, bagels, two types of cream cheese, mixed fruit, extra blueberries, cookies and individual coffee cakes. Everything was from the grocery store but it must have cost her $40-$50. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 3

All right, time for my update. Sigh. The interview on Tuesday was meh. I'm not a good interviewee. I think they were impressed with my experience and skill level, though I always bring my portfolio of graphic design work (across industries, but especially commercial real estate), even though it's not necessary. It shows my breadth of experience and skill.

They weirdly asked about how I would strategize a marketing plan for them, and I wanted to say, "That's not the job or salary" (huge difference between marketing director and coordinator/assistant--I don't have the education/training for the higher-level job), but blundered my way through that because I was blindsided.

The job is, like, 15 fewer work hours a week than mine, and more or less the same pay as I make now if there are bonuses, like they said there are. Ultimately, I don't think it's going to happen, though. My gut says it's not, and I'm OK with that. I did send a thank you email Tuesday evening, though. I also had a dream about the whole deal Wednesday(?) night.

I don't want to be "stuck" in a small firm, feeling like I can't leave because people are dependent upon me, and that's how I'd feel there. I'd decided I want out of the industry. That hasn't changed. I should just stick with "the devil I know" for now.

Anyone want to buy a suit that was worn only 1.5 hours? Ugh.

Edited by bilgistic
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

They weirdly asked about how I would strategize a marketing plan for them, and I wanted to say, "That's not the job or salary" (huge difference between marketing director and coordinator/assistant--I don't have the education/training for the higher level job), but blundered my way through that because I was blindsided.

Decent chance that was an interview technique.  I've had interviewers blindside me with barely tangentially related questions.  They are probably trying to see how you react.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Do we work together?  

7 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Please tell me you loaded up a plate with at least one of everything!  and asked innocently (completed at end with cute puppy head tilt) "I guess someone ate all the smoked salmon?" She is declaring war on all y'all so here is what you have to do:

Decide if you are going to meet her throw down challenge with either a waffle station or an omelet station. Or go to the other extreme and bring in 1/2 price stale donuts.

I only took a croissant, a cookie and some fruit. Our President was there chatting with everyone so she was on her best behavior. My turn is at the end of Feb. I'll probably go the bagel route. I'm really not motivated enough to start a passive aggressive treat war.  She looked like an idiot but no one has brought it up since.

I haven't heard back from the interviewers. I knew I wouldn't. I'm fine with it.

I'm about to strangle my boss, though. He asked me yesterday at the end of the day if I'd done a task because his new thing is to micromanage the everloving hell out of me. I told him I hadn't gotten to it. (It wasn't crucial, or put it this way...he hadn't told me it was, nor had my ESP picked up that it was.) He proceeded to tell me how much he needed it. I said I had been very busy with the clients' and our edits, but would stop and do that task then, and my mother's words flew from my mouth before I could catch them:

"It's not as if I've been farting around all day!"

• Love 7
10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

@theredhead77   Maahaa, I took you at your word that you wanted fun with it, haha. I think with the details you added above that she is going to self destruct on her own. 

Oh, I know. I did have fun bringing in donuts or bagels. But when our senior management team brings in the same types of things as the rest of us she just looks OTT.

Today we did our monthly departmental birthday thing, with cake. It's always good cake. We sing happy birthday, pass out cake, hang out in a conference room for 15-20 minutes eating cake. Usually there are left-overs and people can have seconds or take a slice home. Not this time. Everyone got a slice, the rest was cut up and while we were socializing, CF took it all out, and either passed it out to her non-departmental friends or put it in the Bermuda triangle (where free food disappears).

This isn't about me but my husband. He has been looking for a new, better job for literally a year. For the first 9 months, he legit got like no interviews except 1 phone interview. Then in the past couple months, he had, at 2 separate places, two interviews each. That is, he got 2nd interviews at both places. The first one kept dragging it out, he would call for updates, they didn't have one, etc, literally for 4 months. Then they finally sent him that standard letter you send to all applicants that he wasn't qualified. Which was just bullshit because um you don't interview someone twice that's not qualified.

The second one really kills us though. She had contacted him for an interview like 3 hours after he submitted his resume. Was pretty quick to set up the 2nd interview and always very responsive with email. He felt like he hit it off with her SO WELL. Like the way he was talking I could tell he got along so well with her. His interview was January 5 - radio silence. He sent one email after two weeks asking if there was an update. More radio silence.

I just don't get this at this point. How does this happen twice with the radio silence? It can't be that he's not qualified because HE'S GOTTEN SECOND INTERVIEWS TWICE. And if someone else gets the job, WHY CAN'T THEY EVER TELL HIM THAT. JUST FUCKING RESPOND TO HIM.

I don't know what more to do at this point. An entire year. Thought we would finally get out of it with that 2nd place but... I don't know. I don't understand anymore what he can do. He graduated college in 2009, so i.e. the worst time. Then I later went to law school and so he basically had to work wherever he got a job. He didn't really have the luxury of waiting for an ideal position. But now he's pigeonholed and people that graduated after him are stepping over him. I don't know what to do anymore.

• Love 3

Don't give up!  I know, easier said than done, but I've been there, and things do work out.  I was laid off in September 2007 after nearly 18 years with the company, and I went through the roller coaster of job search during the Great Recession.  Talk about a black hole - resumes, job applications, hundreds of them, and most were completely unacknowledged.  I had a handful of interviews, most went nowhere.  I did have one that was similar to his second situation. 

I applied online for a job that was seemingly a perfect fit.  A couple of days later, on a Monday, the hiring manager (VP level) called me herself to see how soon I could come in.  I said "Tomorrow!"  We scheduled an interview for Wednesday morning, at her office in NYC.  Had a great meeting - a couple of sticking points, but no show stoppers.  She kept pushing for my salary range, and when I told her what I was looking for, she said "Well, this is a manager-level position, but it's a new spot, so we could bump it to a director-level so the pay won't be a problem."  Said she had two people to interview on Thursday, and she was going to make a decision on Friday - no additional people to meet, no second round, it was all her decision.  I think she was abducted by aliens.  I called, e-mailed, wrote an actual letter that I mailed to her...when I walked out of her office after the interview, that was the last contact I had with her.

I don't know what industry he is in, but if they have a professional organization, he should check to see if they have some sort of job placement assistance, or if they hold regular networking meetings.  That will give him the chance to meet others in his line of business - I've found networking to be very helpful in the job search process.  When I was laid off, I did receive outplacement services, and one of the things they did (and allowed us to continue with) was a "Job Search Work Team" where we met each week and talked about what we had done (which helped me stay on track) and discussed any issues we needed advice with.  It worked a little like a big therapy group.  My local town's Department of Labor did something similar, which I also joined.  You may want to see if something like that is available in your area.

After being laid off in September 2007, I landed a manager position with the 2010 Census in November 2009 which ran through September 2010.  I was then out of work again (other than a few freelance jobs) until I started my current job in March 2012.  It can take a while, but I would encourage him to keep working at it.

Good luck to him!

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5