Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: The Premiere

I'm a big fan of Marc Maron's podcast WTF. It was the first place I'd heard of Ms. Pat so I was delighted to see her. I wonder how many others have also been on the podcast. Will have to do some research.

• Love 1

Norm...I hope he took drugs before taping because the comment about the comic starting out as a black guy in his joke but becoming a human being by the end...hmmm

• Love 1

Nothing really grabbed me. You figure that most of the comics whose backgrounds were profiled got through to the semis. Norm MacDonald seemed out of it through most of the show. Anthony Jeselink's gimmick of smarm doesn't work well on a network show. Basically, the only surprise was that Amy Miller made it through . . . I guess Roseanne (who's still a cackler) and Kenan checked her box for Norm while he was passed out.

Anybody else amused LCS tried to push Amy Schumer to the forefront while detailing its past at the beginning of the episode?

Just starting here.  I'll always love Norm McDonald for his impersonation of Burt Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy, but this doesn't sound good - haven't heard the comment yet.  He did seem . . . off . . . when giving his first critique.  (If you could call it that.)  I think the first guy could probably get a lot of mileage out of the diversity of his family.  I like him so far. 

I never thought I’d say this, because she's never seemed to really care about her appearance, but Roseanne is really aging well.  I thought she looked great tonight.

Anthony tried to soften the blow by saying something about Norm coming in almost racist and saving it at the end. He wasn't successful in lessening the WTF, but he tried.

I also found it hilarious that Norm feigned offense at Amy Smith's closing joke about black men having to rush to hit on her for fear of being shot by police first. I guess he thought stating that only a black person had the right to make that joke and attempting to argue with Keneen about it, he could save himself from being dragged for the earlier comment. I doubt black Twitter is all in on Last Comic Standing right now so, he has a chance to go unnoticed. But Norm needs to remain fully sober for future episodes or he might have to call Seinfeld in for one of his rants about how everyone is too PC and comics are special, blah, blah...

• Love 2

I felt Norm's distaste about Amy's closing joke was because he knew that if he tried to make that joke, or any white male comic, that it would have totally come off as in bad taste. He has had his fair share of poorly timed jokes, as well as others. It just seemed more like bitter grapes to me.

• Love 1

Early favorites are the multi-racial family guy, and "Ambrose the Last".

Miss Pat already has me rolling my eyes. There's a certain type that this show just loves to cast, or should I say stereotype, and every year we have a "Miss Pat". I knew the final comedian would be a big hit the minute I decided I couldn't stand him. I thought his jokes were juvenile and mostly a cheap setup so he could do something weird with his body. I'll admit he is gifted as far as how he can make his body contort. I could see him playing the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, for example.. But I've never found physical comedy funny.(Hello Norm. Not everybody loves I Love Lucy). He's going to get old real quick for me, so naturally he'll probably go all the way to the finals.

• Love 4

Early favorites are the multi-racial family guy, and "Ambrose the Last".

Miss Pat already has me rolling my eyes. There's a certain type that this show just loves to cast, or should I say stereotype, and every year we have a "Miss Pat".

I agree with Ryan Conner and Ambrose--they were the strongest and funniest of the night. I wonder how long they've been doing comedy. LCS has traditionally thrown in several well-established ringers along with new comics.

I'm holding judgment on Ms. Pat. She does follow certain stereotypes--the fat black woman comic. But I found her to be more clever than the typical, sassy "UmmHmm, girl" black female comic that the show usually picks. I liked her material--and her daughter is as funny as she is.  I wish we could have seen more of the comedians--even small snippets of their acts--because there were way more people in the green room than we ever saw on screen. There were other black women comics, so I wonder if they were the typical "sassy" type.

I felt Norm's distaste about Amy's closing joke was because he knew that if he tried to make that joke, or any white male comic, that it would have totally come off as in bad taste.

I disagree. If a white man would have delivered that joke with the right amount of sarcasm and maybe even thinly-veiled contempt, I would have applauded him as a non-black person who actually "gets it." But  I'm surprised Amy made it through. I didn't find her set especially funny. She seems new to the comedy world, which is fine, but IMO she wasn't polished enough to make to the semi-finals.

• Love 2

I'm liking Anthony Jeselnik as host. His remarks to Norm, especially were hilarious (You were almost racist, And that was worth it, Keenan--and you get one shot).

I'm surprised Mehran (the self-proclaimed Iranian homo) made it. He had a lot of energy but wasn't all that funny. I much preferred the other dark-haired, skinny guy (who made the joke about his biological dad). I liked his dry humor. Yes, the set was a little choppy, but he had natural comedic talent.

• Love 3

I loved Mehran, Ambrose the Last, 11 brothers guy, and several others. Did not enjoy Amy Miller.

I was kind of iffy on the 21 yr old woman who had church gigs. She was fun, but not hilarious for me.

Ms Pat had a couple of good laughs for me.

I normally enjoy the host's comedy, but here I'm not "fillin it." [feeling it], but I'm totally in and will watch next week

Not defending Norm bc I've never been a huge fan except for his Jeopardy SNL thing, but I did understand where he was going with the "human" remark. His wording was awkward and confusing, but I think I got the intent. However, Norm seemed... sedated or IDK what.

• Love 1

Norm...I hope he took drugs before taping because the comment about the comic starting out as a black guy in his joke but becoming a human being by the end...hmmm

I like Norm, and am willing to give him a lot of leeway, which I think I am going to find myself doing often on this season of LCS. The wording of his critique was extremely poor, but I got what he meant. He was saying that joke initially started out from a very specific point of view, but by the end the comedian had made it universal.

As for Amy Miller, I disagree with Norm's idea that her joke could only be told by a black person, but wholeheartedly agree that she kind of crammed that one in and it did not really fit with what she had been doing up to that point. She went for being topical and edgy at the expense of the flow of her set.

Overall I found myself enjoying more of the comedians than I ever had in previous years. I don't know if that means the comedians are better or (more likely) if the show simply decided to spare us the stiffs. Either way, it made for a better show.

• Love 4
(edited)
I just wanted to come here to ask if MacDonald is drunk. Or maybe drugged?

Norm looked puffy, like he has been on steroids?  I wonder if he has been ill?  Even though he looked bad and started off slowly, I thought he made many cogent comments.  Unlike Rosanne who "loves" everyone and thinks their writing and sets are brilliant.  Big help there.

I liked Ambrose the Last the most.  Church Comic was not funny.  BEST comic of the night--Miss Pat's oldest daughter, who was as dry as the Sahara and had the best timing and facial expressions of the whole bunch.  Book her.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3

Unlike Rosanne who "loves" everyone and thinks their writing and sets are brilliant.  Big help there.

This.  They can't all be good...remember when Roseanne didn't shy away from criticism and would have been honest instead of just heaping praise on everyone.

I knew the final comedian would be a big hit the minute I decided I couldn't stand him. I thought his jokes were juvenile and mostly a cheap setup so he could do something weird with his body. I'll admit he is gifted as far as how he can make his body contort. I could see him playing the Scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, for example.. But I've never found physical comedy funny.(Hello Norm. Not everybody loves I Love Lucy). He's going to get old real quick for me, so naturally he'll probably go all the way to the finals.

I didn't find him funny either, he is one step away from prop comedy.  It made me think he is more of a Second City/SNL/sketch type of comedian, not really stand up.

• Love 1

It was the first place I'd heard of Ms. Pat so I was delighted to see her.

Miss Pat is a regular visitor on the Bob and Tom radio show, and I always think, "Oh, no," whenever she is announced as a guest. I fell asleep during the first part of this show last night, so missed her routine, just saw she was accepted to go on. She talks about her nip being shot off every time she is on the radio, as well as her former life as a former pusher and in prison. Maybe later in the season she will pimp her book.

Norm didn't bother me at all, I've always thought he's acted like he's drugged out or something. And Roseanne cracks me up. I am looking forward to this season. Finally, a show that really MIGHT be funny (as opposed to those horrible sit-coms). I enjoyed what I did see, after I woke up. I'm in for the whole season.

• Love 1

I think it's been about 8 years now that nearly every time Norm makes an appearance people are remarking on the fact that he seems drunk or "on drugs." I remember thinking the same thing when I saw him live at the start of this run 8 years ago, but he still delivered a 50 minute set that you reflect on and marvel at how sharp it was. I think it's just part of the persona that he's taken on. The one thing Norm has, that very few comics do is he seems to get why things are funny. He's long been described as the comic's comic, and I hope that will shine through once we get past the audition stages. His deconstruction of what made Celebrity Jeopardy work following the SNL 40th was fantastic (Hint, it's not the impersonations -- which modern SNL hasn't figured out). 

The first set of comedians seemed much stronger than the latter set for me. I think there was only one or two of the more "featured" performers in the first round that didn't get through.

After last season when I didn't recognize nearly any of the comedians (I've since seen Mark Norman doing a lot of stuff); I was a little surprised seeing Esther Povitsky up there. She's a semi regular on @midnight; did Adam Devine's House Party, and has a pretty good routine already. I don't think her stand-up features as well in the short segments LCS requires. And she's at her best when her character is sending up an unknown participant (like a much lower key Ali G). The Esther with Hot Chicks videos were fantastic, though the ones with most of the better known celebrities appear to have been taken down.

• Love 2

Anthony did a good job as host. He was clever and had good repartee with the judges, with enough of his signature edge but still network-appropriate. It reminded me of Jimmy Carr, who is well established as a host on British shows.  Norm was trying too hard to be positive on too many comics. So I liked his attempts to be constructive, even if I didn't agree with the specifics.

I agree that it does feel like they were trying to fill "types". Ms. Pat did have some jokes, but I can't say the same for Mehran. I've seen gay comics and I've seen Iranian ones. Being both may be good for NBC checkboxes but doesn't automatically grant material.  

Still, they do need people to eliminate in the next round so I guess there's wiggle room.

• Love 2

This.  They can't all be good...remember when Roseanne didn't shy away from criticism and would have been honest instead of just heaping praise on everyone.

I know the judges are trying to encourage the contestant by being nice, but a comedian truly only gets better after hearing constructive criticism. And by bombing a lot. At least according to Chris Rock, Bill Burr, Aisha Tyler, Shawn Wayans, Kyle Dunnigan, and other comedians I respect.

Keenan provided the most constructive criticism, and I thought his observations were spot-on. I see what Roseanne meant when she said he was like the smart kid in class, and everyone was trying to copy his paper. Keened does seem to be the "leader" among the judges. As a producer and TV show creator, I suppose he has the best handle on what makes for a successful comedian. Not that Roseanne's and Norm's opinions aren't valuable--of course they are.

• Love 1

Comedy is so subjective, people are going to laugh at different things (whereas everyone cries about the same things). That's what makes comedy so much more difficult than drama.

I thought Ambrose Jones was mediocre at best and didn't get all the praise. I found his material stale and unoriginal and his delivery lazy and weak. I'm baffled by what anyone saw in him. On the other hand I found Amy Miller hilarious and probably liked her the best out of everyone last night. So, there you go.

Bryan Kellen's strength is obviously physical comedy but the self-deprecation gets to be a downer after awhile, not to mention tired and worn-out. He's sort of a one-note comic in regards to his material. I want to see what else he can do besides make jokes about how funny looking he is and contort his body into over-the-top positions. Like Jim Carrey, he might get exhausting to watch after awhile. Three or four minutes of that is funny but imagine having to sit through a whole hour of it.

I'm torn on Norm McDonald. I have never found him funny and thought he was one of the worst hosts of Weekend Update in the history of SNL. Beyond his Burt Reynolds schtick I've never laughed at a single thing he's ever said or done. And he did seem to have a bit of a diction issue last night. On the other hand I thought he made some rather insightful comments so who knows, maybe he'll be alright as a judge.

I'm not torn on Jeselnik. Anyone's an improvement over JB Smoove in my book. In fact anyone's an improvement over someone who calls themselves "Smoove."

• Love 3
(edited)

Not impressed with this bunch in general, but I loved the last guy with the hilarious moves.  I'd pay to see him.  I also like the guy with 11 brothers and the ashy elbows bit.

The host stunk (or is it stank?) and I don't like him.  Made me wish for last year's awful host, JB Smoove.

Roseanne's laugh is hella annoying.

Also, was Norm MacDonald drunk? 

Edited by Ohwell

This was a good start for the season.  I like the new host. He has that Joel McHale attitude that makes me laugh, especially when zinging the judges.  He's much better than JB Smoove from last season.  JB is funny as an actor, but as a host, he was awful.  "LET'S HEAR IT FOR MY MAIN MAN, ____________.  PUT YO HANDS TOGETHER!"  He did that every time!

I like Norm McDonald, but he was very sedate last night.  At one point, I could hardly hear him because he was resting his chin on his hands, completely blocking his microphone.  He should know better than that.  Also, some of his critiques were spot-on, but several times, I still couldn't tell if he liked the comedian he was reviewing or not.

Roseanne is the Steven Tyler of LCS.  She loves everyone and constantly praises their "art".

• Love 1

In my zeal to defend Norm, I totally forgot that Anthony Jeselnik as host makes this season a must see. He is very quick and sharp, especially when it comes to Norm. But even if he were phoning it in on LCS, I would still watch just for him because his performances on the Comedy Central Roasts, particularly the Mike Tyson roast, are legendary.

• Love 2

Norm is just a mumbly guy. He hasn't had a drink in years. Maybe he lacks the polish needed for this over-polished show, but I think he's actually saying interesting things to some of the contestants and I like that he's not afraid to have negative opinions.

He's definitely a quirky guy though. Norm's said in interviews he has a thing about death, and I think that's probably why he thought Amy Miller was going too far.

Anthony Jeselnik is the best host they've had. Year after year we've had animatronic comics devoid of personality or humor. Jeselnik has funny stuff to say and calls the judges out on their shit. It gives the whole show some energy.

Hated the physical comedian at the end. I go to a lot of comedy shows and when stuff like that kills it makes me misanthropic. Physical comedy can be great. But it has to be the logical outcome of its premise. Obviously no one ever taught him the wrong way to do the Running Man or whatever. It's just a flimsy excuse to get to that movement. There's no content there. It's comedy for 5 year olds.

• Love 5
(edited)
It's comedy for 5 year olds.

It's truly subjective, because when I watched him I felt like I was about six and I loved it.  Reminded me of watching stupid cartoons when I was a kid.  I don't always need cerebral humor.

And I'm sorry, but when I saw Ms, Pat and her family, all I could think of was that they need to eat healthier and lose some weight.   They looked like they had trouble breathing.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I laughed at Bryan Kellen despite myself. At least one bit got a laugh out of me. But . . . there has to be more to his act than goofy physical antics all based around being funny looking. That's going to get real old real fast.

Also, he had a really weak segue from one joke to the next. He said "I'm married believe it or not" (or words to that effect) then launched into a bit about being set up with unattractive friends-of-friends, which had nothing to do with being married. A joke about his wife should have come after that segue. 

I get that these comics have very little time to come out and impress (although I wonder how long their sets are before editing), so they have to come out strong with their best material and don't really get a chance to build a good story. That said, it's probably better to jump from one joke to the next rather than try to come up with some lame segue-way in an attempt to transition to the next bit. 

• Love 2

I did like the new host as compared to Smoove from last year. I'd never heard of either one, and was surprised to learn Smoove is a comedian. I watched all last season and never had a clue ... go figure. This new guy is pretty quick-witted, although I get the impression he has to rein it in for network tv. 

• Love 1

I didn't like the physical comedian at all.  Even though the movements were funny, I thought it was rather woman-hating, really.  I mean, I think he was supposed to be making fun of the way he looks because these were the type of people he was getting set up with, but it really came off badly to me.

I loved Amy Miller.  I thought the getting shot joke at the end was really funny, but didn't think it really went with the rest of her set.  Some of the others I was surprised got through, and didn't find many of them funny overall.  Still, I'm in to the end...

• Love 2

Most of Anthony's "quips" seemed very pre-written. I'm not sure if it's him or some other writers doing the writing, but when he could display his wit ("You just snuck in under the racist bar there, Norm"), it was great. I'm kind of interested to see how he interacts with the cast during the challenges.

• Love 2

The new host is a big improvement. 

I think Norm was just Norm--I don't know if it's drugs, or he's just a little spacey or what but he always seems a few beats behind when he is just talking.  He's been on all the talk shows recently for Trainwreck and I think that's just how he is.   I don't always agree with him, but despite that I usually like him.

He had a couple of things to say about being a judge when he was on Fallon.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/norm-macdonald-amy-schumer-jimmy-fallon-review-124834713650.html

I really dislike physical comedy so I didn't like the comedian that said the joke about the no parking sign and, of course, I especially disliked the last comedian Bryan "All-My-Jokes-Rely-On-Physical-Comedy" Kellan.

I thought the parking sign hit just the right level of physicality, since it was unexpected and helped sell that one joke. It wasn't a "schtick" like Kellan's.

But that just goes to show everyone has different preferences.

• Love 1
(edited)

Everyone else is treated as cannon fodder, including a guy named Chris Fairbanks, whom I know from his appearances on podcasts like Jordan! Jesse! Go!. 

I know him from the underrated ( and apparently cancelled) World's Dumbest.  I know he's much funnier than his appearance on this show would suggest.

I never thought I’d say this, because she's never seemed to really care about her appearance, but Roseanne is really aging well.

I think she looks good too - but I believe she does care a lot about her appearance and has had a lot of work done over the years, including gastric bypass, nose job, tummy tuck and I don't remember all.    But as you said, she does look good - not like a surgery victim.

I don't  know what it is - I find this show really exhausting.  I like all three judges for once but I find it hard to get through it.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

I much prefer Jeselnik over Smoove as host.  It was physically hard for me to watch JB SMoove with his tics and nervous habits and movements up their on stage. Seriously, he has to have tourettes.  And I mean that in a clinical, medical sense, not in a joking manner.   I am not belittling him for it, but its a medical condition, get it treated if you need to, I just find it difficult to watch on stage when you are a host.  On top of that,  yelling and talking loud for every line does not make one a good host.  Jeselnik's smooth, calm delivery I much prefer. 

I actually fast forwarded through the comments from the "judges", I don't find them all that helpful, so I can't say much about them.  Sounds like Norm was his typical self though

The only one I really didn't like that advanced was Amy Miller.  My impression was she was trying to be edgy and shocking, which is fine, that is Anthony Jeselnik's style too.  The problem is the jokes need to be funnier if you do that, I didn't think they were all that funny. 

I can see how the last guy would turn people off, I thought he was OK though

None of the others really impressed me one way or another.  If I had to pick a favorite of these I would say Ambrose Jones, but I reserve the right to change that once I see more of their performances. 

I didn't actively dislike many of them, except Amy Miller and the gay iranian guy.  OK, so you are iranian, but other than that his act seemed to be based on acting like a cliched american gay man. 

Nothing really grabbed me. You figure that most of the comics whose backgrounds were profiled got through to the semis. Norm MacDonald seemed out of it through most of the show. Anthony Jeselink's gimmick of smarm doesn't work well on a network show. Basically, the only surprise was that Amy Miller made it through . . . I guess Roseanne (who's still a cackler) and Kenan checked her box for Norm while he was passed out.

Anybody else amused LCS tried to push Amy Schumer to the forefront while detailing its past at the beginning of the episode?

I am not sure what you mean by your comments about Amy Schumer.  She is probably the most successful of the past contestants, so I guess it didn't surprise me.  I know she didn't win when she was on, but she still made it pretty far. 

(edited)

I rarely watch Comedy Central, I catch Key & Peele on occasion, and I don't watch podcasts so I'm unfamiliar with Jeselnik and some of the other comedians that others might have seen.  So, just based on first impression, I was not impressed with his dry humor.  Maybe he'll grow on me, but I suspect not.  JB SMoove was annoying, but at least he was trying to pump up the audience; he just didn't do a very good job.  However, the biggest disappointment for me was when Craig Robinson was host.  I knew he had somewhat dry humor and played "Mr. Cool and Laidback" in a lot of his roles, but he was just.....awful.  

I really hope we don't see any more Amy Schumer wannabees  *coughAmyMillercough*.  I've had enough of Amy Schumer.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I rarely watch Comedy Central, I catch Key & Peele on occasion, and I don't watch podcasts so I'm unfamiliar with Jeselnik and some of the other comedians that others might have seen.  So, just based on first impression, I was not impressed with his dry humor.  Maybe he'll grow on me, but I suspect not.  JB SMoove was annoying, but at least he was trying to pump up the audience; he just didn't do a very good job.  However, the biggest disappointment for me was when Craig Robinson was host.  I knew he had somewhat dry humor and played "Mr. Cool and Laidback" in a lot of his roles, but he was just.....awful.  

I really hope we don't see any more Amy Schumer wannabees  *coughAmyMillercough*.  I've had enough of Amy Schumer.

While Jeselnik's delivery is pretty monotone and slow, his humor in his stand up is far from dry.  Its actually closer to what Amy Miller was doing, just funnier.  I don't necessarily need a host to pump up the audience.  I always figured that was the job of the comedians themselves. 

I dont really see Amy Miller being like Amy Schumer. 

• Love 1

There were some really great comics this time but too many didn't make it through because they decided to push the gimmicky or demographic-checkbox ones instead. I hate how they do that! Ms. Pat is much better than the average "sassy BBBW" so I have some hope for her, but if I have to keep watching that one guy flail around in a suit and tie I'm out!

I had high hopes for Norm, and he does give some intelligent, insightful feedback, but he just can't keep up with the pace of the show. He's too deliberative. I also worry that he and Keenen don't like each other, which would be sad! I want the judges all to be pals! I also don't miss Russell or JB at all.

I just want to scream at Norm and Roseanne "find a new adjective besides 'I love you'" - there are other words to describe people.  Norm is just ok.  I really like him as the lazy brother on The Middle, but here, eh.

Really like this new host.  Have never heard of him.  My favorites so far are Moses (what an upbringing, ugh that mom) and Ryan Connor.

I much prefer Jeselnik over Smoove as host.  It was physically hard for me to watch JB SMoove with his tics and nervous habits and movements up their on stage. Seriously, he has to have tourettes.

The thing about JB Smoove is that he was such an attention whore and his energy level was dialed up to manic. Every time I see him his demeanor is "look at me! look at me! look at me!" He had to make the whole thing about himself instead of the comics. 

While I didn't really mind Norm McDonald as a judge, the fact is he's made some homophobic comments in the past and I have a hard time getting past that.

I don't necessarily need a host to pump up the audience.  I always figured that was the job of the comedians themselves.

But that's just what I've seen at the comedy clubs I've gone to--the hosts pumping up the audience.  Granted, I haven't been to that many but I don't think it's unheard of.  Bottom line is that mileage varies on this new host, that's all.

Who is genuinely talented will be evident around the 3rd or 4th rounds.  You know they have to be pulling out their A games for the first one or 2 sets.

Guy with the multi-racial family is my favorite so far. 

• Love 3

For what it's worth, she and Jeselnik dated for many years. Not that it likely weighs in to anything on the show, but just an interesting connection.

Andof course they played Schumer up. Did we expect the show to brag about the 3 that beat her? (Jon Reep, Lavell Crawford, and Gerry Dee)

• Love 3

I really hate physical comedy too but the guy at the end had me LOLing for real. I'm not sure why - maybe it was the suit and tie. I guess I'll see if it's a fluke after the next episode.

This season doesn't seem the funniest but it's not too bad. I like DC and the church comic. I don't remember their names but I was disappointed the rough, working man types made it through.

I'm glad JB Smoove is gone. I'm like the poster who was annoyed with all the attention seeking. I'm not sure how I feel about the new host. I've seen him on other things and he was pretty raunchy but I liked him. I really like dry senses of humor but he seems like a corpse here.