Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OriginalCyn

Earworms: Music in Commercials

Recommended Posts

Not new, but those J G Wentworth ads with opera singers doing the jingle: I have a structured settlement, but I need CASH NOW! Call J G Wentworth 877 CASH NOW!

Gah- I woke up with that in my head, and it's still there in mid afternoon.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, sempervivum said:

Not new, but those J G Wentworth ads with opera singers doing the jingle: I have a structured settlement, but I need CASH NOW! Call J G Wentworth 877 CASH NOW!

Gah- I woke up with that in my head, and it's still there in mid afternoon.

Haha! I don't know why, but I love that commercial. It always makes me smile. Then again, I like Opera to start with 😄

Now I'll probably have that jingle in my head all day as well.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I have Bing Crosby's version of "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" stuck in my head because I made the mistake of watching The Hallmark Channel before work.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I recently heard Imagine Dragons "Kingdom Come" in a commercial. Unfortunately I don't remember the product. 

However, I was amused by the irony of plugging a product using a song that contains the line "we still are made of greed." 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/1/2019 at 10:58 PM, 4Sibes Redux said:

I work in a house with 3 disabled adult women who love watching baseball on tv. Many times a game I have to hear the “Save big money at Menards” jingle. I got to the point that I’d have to plug my ears when it was playing because the song would get caught in a loop in my brain and I’d keep singing it in various styles & voices. 

I love this one cuz I started singing their tune around my family (we are so non-PC)... "Just don't kick me in Menards"... takes on a lubberly new meaning that I can resist stabbing my ears and just smile.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of inappropriate music in commercials.... Several years ago there was an ad for headphones that used Hozier's "Take Me to Church" in their commercial. I was like "Ummmm, really?"  You have to wonder if those adholes knew anything about the song other than a catchy tune. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, janie jones said:

I feel like you can put any song in a commercial for headphones, though.  Hey, use these headphones to listen to that indictment of the Catholic Church.

Ummm, that's not what that song is about. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Ummm, that's not what that song is about. 

"Growing up, I always saw the hypocrisy of the Catholic church", Hozier said in an interview with Rolling Stone. "The history speaks for itself and I grew incredibly frustrated and angry. I essentially just put that into my words."

Share this post


Link to post

There's a Johnnie Walker commercial in which a father-of-the-bride talks about preparing to play "her favorite song" for the past year, and then plays Debussy's "Clair de lune":

I'll leaving aside calling a long instrumental piece a song, because I lost that battle years ago (and I'm retired from music teaching, so I no longer have a place to fight it). But if he's been practicing for a year, how did he learn a blatant wrong note in the second measure? (The piece gets hard later on, but not at that early point.) It doesn't speak well for how much he cares about it or her.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

But if he's been practicing for a year, how did he learn a blatant wrong note in the second measure? (The piece gets hard later on, but not at that early point.) It doesn't speak well for how much he cares about it or her.

Looking at the dates on the bottle, he's only been practicing a little over five months, but he could have practiced for five years and still screwed up a note when the time came because he was nervous (he takes that big sigh before starting).  I don't think it says anything about how much he cares for his daughter.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think it says anything about how much he cares for his daughter.

In real life, I too of course would be touched by the father's gesture and wouldn't care about any mistakes. But this isn't real life. Every detail in a commercial is planned to the Nth degree; the wrong note must have been approved by everyone down the line. So it was included either because nobody cared (bad) or because they believed in the pernicious equation "mistakes prove sincerity." (Whereas I would say that, if anything, the opposite is true.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, Rinaldo said:

There's a Johnnie Walker commercial in which a father-of-the-bride talks about preparing to play "her favorite song" for the past year, and then plays Debussy's "Clair de lune":

I'll leaving aside calling a long instrumental piece a song, because I lost that battle years ago (and I'm retired from music teaching, so I no longer have a place to fight it). But if he's been practicing for a year, how did he learn a blatant wrong note in the second measure? (The piece gets hard later on, but not at that early point.) It doesn't speak well for how much he cares about it or her.

Maybe he had one too many slugs of Johnnie Walker before his performance.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, elle said:

Can anyone identify the song in the Versa commercial?  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/osWQ/fitbit-versa-2-alexa-and-sleep-score

I also have to laugh at the woman making a reminder to get a dog bed. Yep, that'll keep the dog off your bed. (snerk!)

Maybe her sleep score is high because dogs make great bed warmers? My dog always knew when I had a backache and would curl up in *just* the right spot.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

My dog always knew when I had a backache and would curl up in *just* the right spot.

I had a dog who would do the same - they just must know!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Why would anyone use the song ‘Go Ask Alice’ in a commercial?  Are we supposed to think  that  Celebrity cruises supplies drugs to their patrons? 

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Why would anyone use the song ‘Go Ask Alice’ in a commercial?  Are we supposed to think  that  Celebrity cruises supplies drugs to their patrons? 

It's the only way you'd get me to go on one.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was dragged onto a 3-week cruise through the Panama Canal with my mom back in 92. Turned out, it wasn't all that bad. I really had such a good time, I didn't want to leave the ship. It helped that it was Holland-America, which has mostly seniors as passengers, so being the only young-ish person on the ship gave me a lot of latitude to flirt with the crew and staff members. I had a blast.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Why would anyone use the song ‘Go Ask Alice’ in a commercial?  Are we supposed to think  that  Celebrity cruises supplies drugs to their patrons? 

It's interesting to me the difference in the Celebrity commercials depending on the market. Celebrity sponsors a cooking show on PBS - Simply Ming with Chef Ming Tsai. The sponsors get a short spot at the beginning or end. Celebrity has a brief appearance of their top food chef, who talks about being inspired by the food around the world for what they serve. TOTALLY different vibe than the commercial on commercial TV.

I've taken the Queen Mary 2 from New York to England 3 times. It was wonderful. Mostly old geezers like us. Very refined and elegant.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas for my 50th birthday later this year. It'll be my first and I'm really excited!

Back on topic, there's a song being used in a current Walgreens ad that seems to go, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God." I think it's the second song by the Band that Played Ahhhhh in the Humira commercials.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/23/2020 at 2:37 PM, mmecorday said:

Back on topic, there's a song being used in a current Walgreens ad that seems to go, "Oh, my God. Oh, my God."

You sure  that's  not an ad for the vibrating "facial " stone? 😂😂😉

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

Pepsi can join the table with Carnival and Celebrity cruise lines for using a song with lyrics with a specific meaning.

 "Paint it Black" to promote a soda with a can that is black?  They could not ask either Missy Elliot or H.E.R. for something of their own or something original for the Super Bowl ad?

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, mythoughtis said:

Why would anyone use the song ‘Go Ask Alice’ in a commercial?  Are we supposed to think  that  Celebrity cruises supplies drugs to their patrons? 

The song is entitled "White Rabbit."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, elle said:

Pepsi can join the table with Carnival and Celebrity cruise lines for using a song with lyrics with a specific meaning.

 "Paint it Black" to promote a soda with a can that is black?  They could not ask either Missy Elliot or H.E.R. for something of their own or something original for the Super Bowl ad?

It's  bad enough that  they're  using Jefferson  Airplane and the  Stones for music in commercials.  Some things ought to be  sacred 😉 But I swear to you,  the first adhole to use Tom Paxton, Ian and Sylvia, or Doc Watson in a commercial, I will hunt the heretic  down and gut them like a deer. There's  heresy, and then there's  HERESY. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Finally, a commercial where the music fits the action!  Not to mention, I'm loving the song and need to add it to my playlist.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw a Zillow  commercial that  uses Bob Dylan's "Shelter From the Storm. " Heresy,  I tell you,  heresy! There oughta be a law!!

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/23/2020 at 2:37 PM, mmecorday said:

I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas for my 50th birthday later this year. It'll be my first and I'm really excited!

I'm guessing that's now off. I'm sorry.

Back on topic, add me to the list of those annoyed by "Nothing is Everything". Thanks a lot, Skyrizi!! 😠

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, Colleenna said:

I just saw a Zillow  commercial that  uses Bob Dylan's "Shelter From the Storm. " Heresy,  I tell you,  heresy! There oughta be a law!!

Oh, I like that one- I always hear something new in Dylan's voice/phrasing of this, and I never cared for that song before.

My new insanity producing 'song' is whatever is going on behind the iPhone 11 ad, which features somebody shrieking hysterically 'I want my thing thing'. Although it does kind of remind me of Jack White. ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, sempervivum said:

My new insanity producing 'song' is whatever is going on behind the iPhone 11 ad, which features somebody shrieking hysterically 'I want my thing thing'. Although it does kind of remind me of Jack White. ?

Yessss! That one just totally annoys me to no end!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size